My wife and I are looking for good commuter bikes for everyday use for short commutes and errands of 3-5 miles each way, and for occasional weekend leisure rides of 20-40 miles. I'd sincerely appreciate your recommendations for bikes that fit the following:
1) Faster 700c (29 in.) wheels with smooth hybrid tires that aren't as thin as road tires, but aren't as thick as mountain tires
2) Accept a good rear rack and fenders
3) Hybrid style frame (not crouched aggressively low like road bike and not fully upright like a cruiser)
4) Preferably available in the $400-600 range in practice (MSRP could be higher as long as I can find the bikes at this range). Don't want to spend more because of risk of theft in a university town
5) Available in Large Men's and Medium Women's frame
6) Don't care about shocks - a mid-width seat on cush springs should do fine
Not looking for a racer, but a good, solid dependable everyday riding bike that's faster on roads than a mountain bike, and can handle longer rides on weekends.
One example that could fit would be a KHS Urban Express.