Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-14, 03:36 AM   #26
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Can we agree that it has sporting pretensions? I mean... Pista bars... track dropouts... do you think its a touring bike? Cyclo-cross? Hmmm. Fender eyelets? Where? Is that why the o.p. is using zip-ties? My Team U.S.A. has water bottle mounts does that make it ok to put fenders on it? I could, this is Portland, they put fenders on carbon Kestrels and commute with them. Doesn't mean its right and it doesn't mean everyone does it. Some things are simply wrong.

H
I like to think of it as a training bike. I'm much better when I ride in the Alps on the MTB now!

There are eyelets on the and rear, nothing on the triangle.

Essentially it's a fun bike to commute on and is cheap to run which I like.

I kind of a piece of crap though and no track would allow it grace its surface.

I am impressed that you have a strong opinion for once, usually you're quite a pushover!
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:15 AM   #27
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Can we agree that it has sporting pretensions? I mean... Pista bars... track dropouts... do you think its a touring bike? Cyclo-cross? Hmmm. Fender eyelets? Where? Is that why the o.p. is using zip-ties? My Team U.S.A. has water bottle mounts does that make it ok to put fenders on it? I could, this is Portland, they put fenders on carbon Kestrels and commute with them. Doesn't mean its right and it doesn't mean everyone does it. Some things are simply wrong.

H
Definite pretenses I'll give you that, but after following this bikes thread there's no way I'd ever call it a track back.. more like a confusedl road fixed gear. But Acid's description works fine, since it does make him ride stronger Training bike it is.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:28 AM   #28
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)
Posts: 6,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Putting fenders on a track bicycle ought to carry a mandatory minimum sentence. Just saying.
It's not a real bicycle, it's a BSO didn't ya know?
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 09:34 AM   #29
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
It's not a real bicycle, it's a BSO didn't ya know?
LoL could get a "Signature Schwinn" over here for what he paid.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:33 AM   #30
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
LoL could get a "Signature Schwinn" over here for what he paid.
To be fair, 20% of that is tax and the USD isn't really worth anything anymore ... so it makes the exchange wonky ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 16.32.46.jpg (66.0 KB, 6 views)
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:35 AM   #31
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
To be fair, 20% of that is tax and the USD isn't really worth anything anymore ... so it makes the exchange wonky ...

To be fair then my Leader is wonkily cheaper than your BSO
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:39 AM   #32
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
To be fair then my Leader is wonkily cheaper than your BSO
I wouldn't ride a Leader if someone paid me ... too many frame breakage issues in their first-gen frames.

The cost of my bike ... included someone in the UK building it up and riding it ... then tearing it down and mailing it to me.

So, I also get well tested bike and employ someone in the country I'm living for what works out to roughly $299.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:43 AM   #33
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I wouldn't ride a Leader if someone paid me ... too many frame breakage issues in their first-gen frames.

The cost of my bike ... included someone in the UK building it up and riding it ... then tearing it down and mailing it to me.

So, I also get well tested bike and employ someone in the country I'm living for what works out to roughly $299.
The turn around that company did is pretty spectacular actually, the QC issues were huge but they actually went the right way with it.. they started going above and beyond to prevent that from happening again. I won't fault you for disliking them though.. there's plenty of brand hate in the 41 too.

I could have sworn your figure worked out too much more than 299 with the VAT and all, wasn't it roughly at $600? Actually I am quite sure it was.. as you've said previously apples to oranges. I was just making a funny before.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 02-19-14 at 10:47 AM.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:52 AM   #34
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
The turn around that company did is pretty spectacular actually, the QC issues were huge but they actually went the right way with it.. they started going above and beyond to prevent that from happening again.

I could have sworn your figure worked out too much more than 299 with the VAT and all, wasn't it roughly at $600?
299 GBP for the bike, assembly and shipping.

299 GBP - 20% VAT = 240 GBP without tax

USD has fallen 12 percent against the GBP since when I bought it: 299 GBP x 12% = 36 GBP

240 GBP without tax - 36 GBP (correction for current USD value versus when I bough it) ... results in 204 GBP

204 GBP = 339 USD

So, not quite 300 USD ... but relatively close!

The $600 price includes a bunch of stuff including two Knog lights, a Sigma 1009 computer, a Kryptonite Lock, fenders, tax, grease for the chain, and the soon to be 20% drop in the USD versus the GBP
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 11:02 AM   #35
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't hate Leader for what it's worth.

However, the bike does look more expensive every day to you guys if the USD goes down!

A couple of times, when I did the update on the cost ratios, the bike became $10 USD more expensive overnight!

I like funnies! This shouldn't be interpreted as being competitive.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 11:05 AM   #36
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I don't hate Leader for what it's worth.

However, the bike does look more expensive every day to you guys if the USD goes down!

A couple of times, when I did the update on the cost ratios, the bike became $10 USD more expensive overnight!

I like funnies! This shouldn't be interpreted as being competitive.
And given my frameset was a factory second and free other than shipping, impossible to compare anyhow
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 11:09 AM   #37
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
Thread Starter
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
And given my frameset was a factory second and free other than shipping, impossible to compare anyhow
You should update how far you've ridden it! I could add it to my BSO thread.
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 03:47 PM   #38
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
You should update how far you've ridden it! I could add it to my BSO thread.
I don't really keep track of miles on it, but I do about 150 miles every two weeks on my main SS commuter.. that one was built from parts in the bin basically and the frameset someone was throwing out so I rescued it, who the hell throws out a triple splined and butted frameset miyata??!?!?!
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 10:31 AM   #39
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I am impressed that you have a strong opinion for once, usually you're quite a pushover!
You have definitely confused me with another poster. That or you misplaced your sarcasm emoticon. There is simply no way one could describe my oeuvre as wishy washy. Just ask Patrick.

H
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.