Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-14, 06:20 PM   #1
FedericoMena
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FedericoMena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Bikes: Viruela, Piccola
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any contributors to OpenStreetMap here?

This may be slightly offtopic, but anyway... does anyone here contribute to OpenStreetMap (... while riding around the city)? I've been doing it for a while, and it's a lot of fun. I carry an offline OSM editor on my phone (it's called "Go Map!!"), and that makes it easy to add missing things to the map when I run into them.
FedericoMena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-14, 08:29 AM   #2
jrickards
Senior Member
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Bikes: 2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384
Posts: 2,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoMena View Post
This may be slightly offtopic, but anyway... does anyone here contribute to OpenStreetMap (... while riding around the city)? I've been doing it for a while, and it's a lot of fun. I carry an offline OSM editor on my phone (it's called "Go Map!!"), and that makes it easy to add missing things to the map when I run into them.
Well, if you're going to ride around the city, watching Go Map on your phone as you go, you're going to run into a lot of things, not many of which are worth putting on OpenStreetMap.

I've seen it but I wasn't able to figure out how to make use of it for mapping purposes, and that might not be what it's for.
jrickards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 02:27 PM   #3
FedericoMena
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FedericoMena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Bikes: Viruela, Piccola
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
Well, if you're going to ride around the city, watching Go Map on your phone as you go, you're going to run into a lot of things, not many of which are worth putting on OpenStreetMap.
What, me distracted?

Nah. The app is fiddly enough that you *need* to stop and use both hands to operate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
I've seen it but I wasn't able to figure out how to make use of it for mapping purposes, and that might not be what it's for.
I find it very useful to add missing points-of-interest (restaurants, shops, etc.), street features (there's a bike parking here; there's a gate there). Every now and then I'll add a missing street, or part of a street. Very often I'll add a missing street name.
FedericoMena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.