Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-14, 08:04 AM   #1
e0richt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
moustache bars

I don't really use the drops on my road bars, and because I like a bit more upright position I have the bars angled up, which also makes using the breaks a bit difficult.

I just received a bike nashbar moustache bar in the mail and wondered if it makes more sense to put them on upside down (more like a north road bar) or just raise up the bar using an extender and put them on as "normal"...

anything else I need to know?
e0richt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 08:10 AM   #2
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,960
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
anything else I need to know?
Yes, those gizmos that you use to slow down are "brakes".

Why not install the moustache bars as designed & give them a try?
One can always modify if that doesn't meet your requirements.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 03-01-14 at 08:14 AM.
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 08:34 AM   #3
Mark Stone
Littledog
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Handlebars are a personal decision. We can give you suggestions, but the decision is yours. Last time I checked there were about 4,000 styles of bars and combinations of bar/bar ends to choose from. Depending on what you choose, you may need to get compatible brake (not "break") levers/shifters, so there could be some extra expense involved - but it's your cockpit, your choice. I have generic mountain-bike flat bars with long(er) bar-ends pointed out, and it gives me about a thousand available hand positions and allows me to sit up so I can see everything.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 09:45 AM   #4
e0richt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
yup brakes... good catch and sorry to step on a nerve...
e0richt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 10:47 AM   #5
Mark Stone
Littledog
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
yup brakes... good catch and sorry to step on a nerve...
Hahaha! Wasn't a nerve - some of us just like to terrorize people that accidentally spell a word wrong. No offense intended -
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 01:46 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
I had the Nitto bars on my bike for a while , old cable out the top brake levers on the front,
and bar end shifters in the rear..
( couldn't imagine using STI brake levers laid flat .. )

the slight angle down is a good wrist angle, where fitted angled up is not.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 09:58 PM   #7
CVB
Senior Member
 
CVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: '87 Trek Elance, '87 Nishiki Cascade, '86 Schwinn Sierra, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper, '84 Fuji Del Rey, '86? Peugeot mixte
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
wondered if it makes more sense to put them on upside down (more like a north road bar) or just raise up the bar using an extender and put them on as "normal"...
One thing to think about is wear you will install the breaks. If on the flats, ewe could go either way. If on the bends, yew might prefer the non-North Rode position. At least I dew, YMMV.

Save yourself a little trouble and test fit the bars before you go two the effort of pulling off the old ones and installing the knew. Duct tape the gnu bars onto the old bars. Sit on the bike (lean against a wall or something for balance) and position your hands where they'll be when you ride. How does your back feel? How is your neck? How would it feel to really have to grab a handful of brake from this position? Then tare off the duct tape, flip the bars over, and try it the other weigh. Try your hands in the different positions that these bars will allow.

Also think about where you will attach the breaks - their are a couple of options (flats or bends). I have a rode bike with nitto moustache in the non-north road/drop position and brakes in the bends, and a mtb commuter with a Soma North Road copy in the standard North Road orientation with the breaks on the flats.

Obviously you can't put your full wait on the bars with just duct tape holding them on, but I found it really helped me in choosing the position for my bars.


*content above is entirely serious, but all misplaced homophones thoroughly intended to provide aid and comfort to the OP.

Last edited by CVB; 03-01-14 at 10:01 PM. Reason: re-organized for easier reading
CVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 07:24 AM   #8
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,960
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Here's a pic of Nitto moustache bars on my town bike.
Nitto technomic stem to get the height/reach correct, barcons for shifting and Campy NR brake levers.
Works a treat.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Internat'l_9_13.jpg (72.5 KB, 74 views)
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 08:12 AM   #9
CVB
Senior Member
 
CVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: '87 Trek Elance, '87 Nishiki Cascade, '86 Schwinn Sierra, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper, '84 Fuji Del Rey, '86? Peugeot mixte
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Here's a pic of Nitto moustache bars on my town bike.
Nitto technomic stem to get the height/reach correct, barcons for shifting and Campy NR brake levers.
Works a treat.

-Bandera
Beautiful bike!
CVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 08:24 AM   #10
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,960
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVB View Post
Beautiful bike!
Thank you.
40 years in service & going out in the fog & mist this AM while the "modern" CF hangs on a hook.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 09:02 AM   #11
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
wondered if it makes more sense to put them on upside down (more like a north road bar) or just raise up the bar using an extender and put them on as "normal"...
Pictures of various installations might help you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Yes, those gizmos that you use to slow down are "brakes".
Breaks are what you get when those gizmos fail.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 10:01 AM   #12
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Here's a pic of Nitto moustache bars on my town bike.
Nitto technomic stem to get the height/reach correct, barcons for shifting and Campy NR brake levers.
Works a treat.

-Bandera
That bike is gorgeous.
May I ask who makes the back seat bag?
I think Im ready to go Moustache on one of my clunkmuters . . .

Im going to research some bends and try it, I think
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 10:12 AM   #13
e0richt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVB View Post
One thing to think about is wear you will install the breaks. If on the flats, ewe could go either way. If on the bends, yew might prefer the non-North Rode position. At least I dew, YMMV.

Save yourself a little trouble and test fit the bars before you go two the effort of pulling off the old ones and installing the knew. Duct tape the gnu bars onto the old bars. Sit on the bike (lean against a wall or something for balance) and position your hands where they'll be when you ride. How does your back feel? How is your neck? How would it feel to really have to grab a handful of brake from this position? Then tare off the duct tape, flip the bars over, and try it the other weigh. Try your hands in the different positions that these bars will allow.

Also think about where you will attach the breaks - their are a couple of options (flats or bends). I have a rode bike with nitto moustache in the non-north road/drop position and brakes in the bends, and a mtb commuter with a Soma North Road copy in the standard North Road orientation with the breaks on the flats.

Obviously you can't put your full wait on the bars with just duct tape holding them on, but I found it really helped me in choosing the position for my bars.


*content above is entirely serious, but all misplaced homophones thoroughly intended to provide aid and comfort to the OP.
hmm ok, I guess, but I do have a "pop top" stem (which means I can take it out of the stem without changing anything on the original handle bars), and I decided to put the bike into a trainer I had so that I can "play" with the setup (obvious once I thought for a few minutes as I don't use it much because I like being out on the road) so I think I will be trying out a similar setup to bandera (on the road).

um I guess thanks for the "homophones" but I think we can move on from my earlier transgression... eh?
e0richt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 12:58 PM   #14
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,960
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
That bike is gorgeous.
May I ask who makes the back seat bag?
I think Im ready to go Moustache on one of my clunkmuters . . .
Thank you!
Best bicycle $ I ever spent, built it up new out of the shipping carton.

The seatbag is a 1970's "Schwinn Approved" model made in England w/ a contemporary bag support.
A lot of the kit that I use on a daily basis is decades old, the alloy shell AW hub w/ Cyclo 3-cog is from the 1950's.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 01:58 PM   #15
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Thank you!
Best bicycle $ I ever spent, built it up new out of the shipping carton.

The seatbag is a 1970's "Schwinn Approved" model made in England w/ a contemporary bag support.
A lot of the kit that I use on a daily basis is decades old, the alloy shell AW hub w/ Cyclo 3-cog is from the 1950's.

-Bandera
Thanks!
I try all types of bikes for commuting just because Im addicted to tinkering,
but in the end, its always old stuff that I rely on for my day-to-day riding.
When I see bikes and attitudes like yours, it validates my affliction!
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 07:42 PM   #16
rsacilotto
Senior Member
 
rsacilotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saugus, Massachusetts, United States
Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I switched to Nashbar moustache bars last year on my commuter, a little mixed on how I feel about them. I like the width for control, but I miss being able to rest on the tops. All-in-all, it's ok for my 16-mile trip. I installed cane creek scr-5 levers, they work very well.


rsacilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:00 AM   #17
e0richt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsacilotto View Post
I switched to Nashbar moustache bars last year on my commuter, a little mixed on how I feel about them. I like the width for control, but I miss being able to rest on the tops. All-in-all, it's ok for my 16-mile trip. I installed cane creek scr-5 levers, they work very well.


I have tried riding on the hoods but the bars tend to stretch me out more than normal road bars so it makes it more uncomfortable to ride there... your thoughts?
e0richt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:11 AM   #18
Bandera 
Ding!
 
Bandera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Bikes:
Posts: 3,960
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
I have tried riding on the hoods but the bars tend to stretch me out more than normal road bars so it makes it more uncomfortable to ride there... your thoughts?
Measuring your reach w/ the moustache bars is quite different than road drops.
To compensate I run a Nitto technomic 70mm stem w/ less drop than the 100mm Cinelli 1-A/#64 I replaced.
That being said I only extend to the hoods when riding into a headwind, elderly folk must preserve their dignity while plootering about.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:14 AM   #19
rsacilotto
Senior Member
 
rsacilotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saugus, Massachusetts, United States
Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
I have tried riding on the hoods but the bars tend to stretch me out more than normal road bars so it makes it more uncomfortable to ride there... your thoughts?
I don't spend a lot of time on the brake hoods, but it's not uncomfortable for me when I do. On long descents I will stay on the brake hoods in case I need to stop, or if I need a more aero position.
rsacilotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 10:06 AM   #20
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Reach?, higher and closer .. laying my hands on the bend [10:00/2:00]

about like the reach to the brake hoods was on the drop bars seemed appropriate.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.