Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best slick 26" tire?

    I have Avenir 100psi 26x1.5 slicks on my Tempest Mt Shasta 90's MTB that I often use for commuting. I love the wider tires on bad pavement and old snow/slush. They are showing signs of age (they have tiny cracks all over the contact surface) and I think may need replacing soon. I'm looking for a replacement at the same size (+/- 0.1 in). My priorities are (in order of most to least important):
    1. Speed
    2. Puncture Resistance
    3. Cost
    4. Handling
    5. Ride Quality



    The four I have found that are likely to fit the bill are:
    • Continental Sport Contact 26x1.6
    • Michelin Wild Run'R Tire 26x1.4
    • Schwalbe Marathon Racer HS 429 26x1.5
    • Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26x1.6


    If there are others which I should consider I am open to it. Let me know your thoughts opinions on what the best tire for me is.

  2. #2
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got those Marathon Supremes on my Long Haul Trucker, and I have the 700x35 size on my Kona Jake. They're a great tire.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    I have Avenir 100psi 26x1.5 slicks on my Tempest Mt Shasta 90's MTB that I often use for commuting. I love the wider tires on bad pavement and old snow/slush. They are showing signs of age (they have tiny cracks all over the contact surface) and I think may need replacing soon. I'm looking for a replacement at the same size (+/- 0.1 in). My priorities are (in order of most to least important):
    1. Speed
    2. Puncture Resistance
    3. Cost
    4. Handling
    5. Ride Quality



    The four I have found that are likely to fit the bill are:
    • Continental Sport Contact 26x1.6
    • Michelin Wild Run'R Tire 26x1.4
    • Schwalbe Marathon Racer HS 429 26x1.5
    • Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26x1.6


    If there are others which I should consider I am open to it. Let me know your thoughts opinions on what the best tire for me is.
    I very much like Panaracer T-Serv's and Vittoria Randoneur Pros. Both nominally 1.5", the Panaracer's run small, so I buy them in 26 x 1.75" and run them at 75 PSI for a front tire. I use the Vittoria Rando Pros for rear tires and run them at 90 PSI. The Panaracer has a higher rubber content, which combined with it's lower pressure makes it just a little cushy (which is nice on the rough roads I travel on), while the Vittoria's stiffer sidewall serves me better as a rear tire.

    Both these tires weigh far less than the base model Schwalbe Marathon (not the Supreme, I haven't tried more than the base model), handle very well, and have excellent puncture resistance. I used to get flats all the time, but I've now gone over a year without an honest flat.
    Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-09-14 at 01:41 AM.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  4. #4
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Continental SPORTContact and have for around 2-1/2 years. I got them about the time I joined bikeforums in 2011 I think. No flats, no issues whatsoever. Big thumbs up.
    **************************************************
    The El Paso Bicyclist/

  5. #5
    Senior Member Worknomore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SE Michigan
    My Bikes
    Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tioga City Slicker. Light, cheap, fast and available in several different widths. I have yet to flat on them.
    Litespeed Blue Ridge, Serotta Colorado CRL, Cannondale Delta-V, Bacchetta Ti-Aero

  6. #6
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,914
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo (~$50). I think, if it's not already apparent, you will soon find that there are hundreds of good slick 26" tires out there.
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,727
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Michelin Wild Run'r 1.4 on my rear. I also have a 26x1.1 Wild Run'r foldable that I've never been able to mount so stay away from those.

    For the front right now I have a 26x1 1/8 (that's a 28-559 size) Conti Gatorskin that's more like a road tire. It feels faster, but at the price of comfort. Since I haven't had a chance yet to commute with it due to the sucky weather, I'm not sure if it will work long-term. I've been doing unloaded rides with it and it feels much more like a road bike this way.

    But yes, there are lots of choices out there. The only other advice (my own choice notwithstanding) is don't spend a lot of money. You're not racing on these things.

  8. #8
    Schwinnasaur Schwinnsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently ride Schwalbe Kojak 26 X 2, bald and somewhat bouncy.

  9. #9
    Senior Member trailmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    My Bikes
    Cannondale:83 ST500, 85 ST500, 85 SR300, 86 SR500, 87 SR400, 87 ST400, 88 ST400x2, 89 ST400, 90 ST400, 90 SM700, 92 M700, 93 T700, 95 F200, 96 M200se, 03 F3000, Raleigh: 86 Technium 460, Schwinn: 87 Prologue, Trek 86 300, 94 370
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck with Panaracer Paselas and Serfas Drifters, both 26x1.5.

  10. #10
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,071
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best , may be highest cost..

    not dead slick , how about these? http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_comp_26_175.html

    Or, http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...ires/big_apple
    Last edited by fietsbob; 03-09-14 at 10:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Worknomore View Post
    Tioga City Slicker. Light, cheap, fast and available in several different widths. I have yet to flat on them.
    What I have currently (OEM tires). 26x1.5 at 65 psi, though I'm actually toying with going bigger (speed is no longer a priority).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  12. #12
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    8,943
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I very much like Panaracer T-Serv's and Vittoria Randoneur Pros. Both nominally 1.5", the Panaracer's run small, so I buy them in 26 x 1.75" and run them at 75 PSI for a front tire. I use the Vittoria Rando Pros for rear tires and run them at 90 PSI. The Panaracer has a higher rubber content, which combined with it's lower pressure makes it just a little cushy (which is nice on the rough roads I travel on), while the Vittoria's stiffer sidewall serves me better as a rear tire.

    Both these tires weigh far less than the base model Schwalbe Marathon (not the Supreme, I haven't tried more than the base model), handle very well, and have excellent puncture resistance. I used to get flats all the time, but I've now gone over a year without an honest flat.
    I have the Marathon Supreme and the Vittoria Randonneur Pro. The Supreme and Pro are about the same weight, I expect the Supreme to be a little more durable. The stiffness and ride quality are equal.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  13. #13
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    What I have currently (OEM tires). 26x1.5 at 65 psi, though I'm actually toying with going bigger (speed is no longer a priority).
    I'm eyeing the Big Bens and wondering how I'd like them.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  14. #14
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I have the Marathon Supreme and the Vittoria Randonneur Pro. The Supreme and Pro are about the same weight, I expect the Supreme to be a little more durable. The stiffness and ride quality are equal.
    Good to know, thanks! That makes for a good benchmark.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  15. #15
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panaracer Tservs in 1.75. Awesome tires.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Eric S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    My Bikes
    2004 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Racing, 1986 De Rosa SLX, 1991 Bridgestone MB-1
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a tire cheapskate and have been using various Nashbar-branded Cheng Shin tires for quite awhile with good results. For a long time I used their Kevlar-belted 26x1.25 90psi Streetwise tire, but as I came to carry heavier loads I switched to a 26x1.5 65psi tire and have noticed no loss in rolling resistance.

    Those tires are usually less than $20 each, if that interests anyone.

  17. #17
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marathon Supreme is the best.

  18. #18
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,832
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
    1. Speed
    2. Puncture Resistance
    3. Cost
    4. Handling
    5. Ride Quality


    • Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26x1.6
    This. These things are like sportbike radials. Best grip I've ever seen in the rain,and I've picked multiple bits of FOD out of the rear without a flat.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  19. #19
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,798
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride quality is in last place, but it tends to be correlated with speed. Marathon Supremes are a good choice there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paramount1973 View Post
    Panaracer Tservs in 1.75. Awesome tires.
    Unless you want fast tires, like the OP. The Tserv is certainly indestructible and versatile, but it's not particularly fast.

  20. #20
    Senior Member gregjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Georgia
    My Bikes
    K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
    Posts
    1,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    I also have a 26x1.1 Wild Run'r foldable that I've never been able to mount so stay away from those.
    What's wrong???


    OP-----------Here's three pages worth of recent opinions for you.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Ride quality is in last place, but it tends to be correlated with speed. Marathon Supremes are a good choice there.



    Unless you want fast tires, like the OP. The Tserv is certainly indestructible and versatile, but it's not particularly fast.
    Tservs are plenty fast and weigh in at about 450g. Also, the OP mentioned cost as a factor. Recommending ~$70 tires like the Marathon is a non-starter.
    Last edited by Paramount1973; 03-10-14 at 08:02 AM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,727
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjones View Post
    What's wrong???
    I can barely get the first side over the rim, and I've tried on 4 different rims already. Road tires are never this tight.

  23. #23
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,832
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paramount1973 View Post
    Also, the OP mentioned cost as a factor. Recommending ~$70 tires like the Marathon is a non-starter.
    Internets:
    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  24. #24
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,895
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    I can barely get the first side over the rim, and I've tried on 4 different rims already. Road tires are never this tight.
    Are you sure the tire is the right size? Read the sidewalls on both old and new tires.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  25. #25
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. So here's my final list for comparison, with the best prices (incl. shipping) for 2 tires:

    Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick City $48
    Michelin Wild Run'R $51
    Continental Sport Contact $70
    Panaracer T-Serv Protex $80
    Schwalbe Marathon Racer $86
    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme $142

    The Michelin Wild Run'R appeals to me as a pure slick tire. If I'm going to jump up in price from that one, seems to me that the Marathon Racer is the best upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •