Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What Commuter/Road/Touring Bike to use in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

    Hi,

    I am from Brazil and in the middle of April I am going to move to Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and I'd like to ask for help to choose a nice bike to ride and commute when the weather allowed (I believe it could be from April to October).

    Here in Brazil I rode an 26 inch hardtail MTB and in Canada I'd like to change to a ROAD or CX or Touring bike, because with a bigger wheel size will helps to ride better and even small weekend bike trips (300km round trip).

    So, what I think that I am going to like is a bike with:
    700c wheels
    Full fender friendly
    Rear Rack
    Drop bars (for long distance)
    Confortable rider position
    Also, I am 188/189cm tall and here I ride a XL GT Avalanche 2008 frame (20,5 to 21 inches) with a 100mm stem and 350mm seatpost. It is ok for short to mid distances, but for long distances after 80km riding it is not so confortable anymore.

    So, as I said above, I believe that a 58cm will be my first frame size option, of course that I am going to try some frame sizes, but I prefer a little smaller frame than a bigger one this time.

    Searching for suggestions of bikes I found a JAMIS NOVA SPORT CX bike that seems nice enough, but I really don't know if I will find it in stock at some bike shops. Also, my budget will be around $900,00 CAD with a possibility to increase to $1.100 CAD.

    I am sorry to open a new thread, but other threads with similar subjects just help me to eliminate some bikes and now I need some help to focus in what it would be good.

    Thanks for all that read my post.

    PS. I forgot to say, the main use of the bike is going to be as a weekly commuter and a weekend road, because I'd like to go around the city and beyound

    PS II. This is my 1st post since my registration in 2012.

  2. #2
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,850
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Many of us commute here year round and the area around Red Deer is rich when it comes to places to ride, the roads tend to be well kept and it is not that hilly although wind is always an issue.

    A cross bike would be a good choice as an all rounder that will handle everything well... you may very well find that your travels take you off the road from time to time so the ability to run wider off road tyres will be of benefit.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Many of us commute here year round and the area around Red Deer is rich when it comes to places to ride, the roads tend to be well kept and it is not that hilly although wind is always an issue.

    A cross bike would be a good choice as an all rounder that will handle everything well... you may very well find that your travels take you off the road from time to time so the ability to run wider off road tyres will be of benefit.
    Thanks a lot Sixty Fiver

    I noticed that you help a lot of users here and live in Edmonton (I read you blog).
    As you suggested in one of blog's post, in winter I will first check how is the weather and what do I really need. Probably I will going to buy a simple MTB to use it on winter and left the main bike save until I get used with the weather.

    Thanks for your attention.

  4. #4
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    7,315
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Red Deer, Alberta is a lot like Brazil.

    The bigger wheel size doesn't necessarily ride better, depending on what you mean by "better". Bikes that have 26" wheels usually have more clearance for wide tires, and a wide 26" tire will yield a more comfortable ride than a narrow 700c tire. Of course, a cyclocross bike will have clearance for reasonably wide tires and is a good choice for the riding type you describe. I just mention the 26" tires because I don't think you need to rule out any bikes on that basis.

    This is the bike I rode to work today:



    It's got 26x1.6 tires, and it's probably the most comfortably riding bike I own. Part of that is the wide tires, part is the stable geometry, part is the low gearing and part is the high handlebar position.

    A complete Long Haul Trucker is a bit beyond your budget, but I built this bike from a used frame for less than what you're looking to spend. I mention it mostly as a point of reference for discussion of possibilities.

    Cyclocross bikes are great. Most of them have more relaxed geometry than a road bike, but they're still sporty enough for a vigorous group ride on the road (with the right choice of tires). Most CX bikes aren't quite as relaxed as a typical touring bike, but they're lighter and more likely to be designed to be ridden without a heavy load. I ride a CX bike to work most days, but I ride the touring bike shown above on days when I want an easy ride (or when the CX bike is having mechanical issues).

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy K.

    Definitely Brazil and Canada has differences in the weather, mostly in the winter season. Here where I live we have an average of 7 Celsius degree on winter.

    About your suggestions thanks again

  6. #6
    Senior Member jrickards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sudbury, ON, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Norco Bigfoot, 2012 KHS Tempe, 1988 Bianchi Strada, 2012 Kona Sutra
    Posts
    1,873
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    Thanks Andy K.

    Definitely Brazil and Canada has differences in the weather, mostly in the winter season. Here where I live we have an average of 7 Celsius degree on winter.

    About your suggestions thanks again
    Here's one difference between Brazil and Canada, in Brazil during the January/February months, women tend to wear much skimpier bikinis than women in Canada do during those months. (Why would you move?)

    Welcome to Canada, Alberta is a wonderful province!
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that being an adult isn't going to work for me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    Here's one difference between Brazil and Canada, in Brazil during the January/February months, women tend to wear much skimpier bikinis than women in Canada do during those months. (Why would you move?)

    Welcome to Canada, Alberta is a wonderful province!
    No skimpier bikinis in Canada? No way... cancelling all things and moving up to Ibiza
    (I am moving because education purposes).

  8. #8
    Senior Member gerald_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AB, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Virtu

    I live near Red Deer. I'm not really qualified to recommend a bike per say, but I ride vintage 27" road bikes in the summer, and an old Stump Jumper 26" hard tail in the winter.
    This past winter has been especially cold and snowy, so I have not ridden this winter. Quite a few days colder than -20C and some reaching -30 to -40.
    Some riders are tougher than I am.

    Are you by chance studying at the college in Red Deer? Personal question, so feel free to not reply in public.
    PM me if you wish, I am familiar with the college there.

    Maybe we can go for a ride some day. I am slow FYI, but I know some faster people around here, I could introduce you.
    Also there is a Red Deer Bike Commuting group on facebook.

    Called "Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting"

    There are a couple of shops in RedDeer, and one in a nearby town called Bentley (which specializes in recumbents and trikes). I can't comment on bike selection at either shop, but I could get you a ph. number or something if you wish. Edmonton and Calgary are both bigger cities with plenty of bike shops, and within reach of Red Deer.

    I have not purchased a bike at any shop, but I have bought tools from Mountain Equipment Co-op and from United Cycle in Edmonton.

    Welcome to Canada, and Alberta in advance.
    Gerald.

    P.S. I bought a Trek mid 90's this winter, (700 and more modern than my 80's bikes) which I hope will be my new summer bike.
    May get it out this weekend for a test drive, if time allows.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald_g View Post
    Hi Virtu

    I live near Red Deer. I'm not really qualified to recommend a bike per say, but I ride vintage 27" road bikes in the summer, and an old Stump Jumper 26" hard tail in the winter.
    This past winter has been especially cold and snowy, so I have not ridden this winter. Quite a few days colder than -20C and some reaching -30 to -40.
    Some riders are tougher than I am.

    Are you by chance studying at the college in Red Deer? Personal question, so feel free to not reply in public.
    PM me if you wish, I am familiar with the college there.

    Maybe we can go for a ride some day. I am slow FYI, but I know some faster people around here, I could introduce you.
    Also there is a Red Deer Bike Commuting group on facebook.

    Called "Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting"

    There are a couple of shops in RedDeer, and one in a nearby town called Bentley (which specializes in recumbents and trikes). I can't comment on bike selection at either shop, but I could get you a ph. number or something if you wish. Edmonton and Calgary are both bigger cities with plenty of bike shops, and within reach of Red Deer.

    I have not purchased a bike at any shop, but I have bought tools from Mountain Equipment Co-op and from United Cycle in Edmonton.

    Welcome to Canada, and Alberta in advance.
    Gerald.

    P.S. I bought a Trek mid 90's this winter, (700 and more modern than my 80's bikes) which I hope will be my new summer bike.
    May get it out this weekend for a test drive, if time allows.
    Thanks a lot Gerald G
    I am going PM you about Red Deer.

    About bike shops in Red Deer, I search over Google and found a few ones. Also there is a Sport Check store in Red Deer that sells Jamis Bikes, but I do not think I will find a 58cm bike to test it.

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald_g View Post
    Hi Virtu

    I live near Red Deer. I'm not really qualified to recommend a bike per say, but I ride vintage 27" road bikes in the summer, and an old Stump Jumper 26" hard tail in the winter.
    This past winter has been especially cold and snowy, so I have not ridden this winter. Quite a few days colder than -20C and some reaching -30 to -40.
    Some riders are tougher than I am.

    Are you by chance studying at the college in Red Deer? Personal question, so feel free to not reply in public.
    PM me if you wish, I am familiar with the college there.

    Maybe we can go for a ride some day. I am slow FYI, but I know some faster people around here, I could introduce you.
    Also there is a Red Deer Bike Commuting group on facebook.

    Called "Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting"

    There are a couple of shops in RedDeer, and one in a nearby town called Bentley (which specializes in recumbents and trikes). I can't comment on bike selection at either shop, but I could get you a ph. number or something if you wish. Edmonton and Calgary are both bigger cities with plenty of bike shops, and within reach of Red Deer.

    I have not purchased a bike at any shop, but I have bought tools from Mountain Equipment Co-op and from United Cycle in Edmonton.

    Welcome to Canada, and Alberta in advance.
    Gerald.

    P.S. I bought a Trek mid 90's this winter, (700 and more modern than my 80's bikes) which I hope will be my new summer bike.
    May get it out this weekend for a test drive, if time allows.
    Hi Gerald,

    I can't send PM, I am not allowed because do not have at least 50 posts here.
    So, feel free the reach me at ....

    Thanks.
    Last edited by virtu; 03-13-14 at 09:37 AM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I find until today are this models:

    NORCO VALENCE A3 2013 and 2014 models - around CAD 750,00
    Norco Valence A4 - Woodcock Cycle Works

    SPECIALIZED SECTEUR COMPACT 2014 - CAD 899,00
    Specialized Secteur Compact - Woodcock Cycle Works

    NORCO THRESHOLD A3 2014 - CAD 949,99
    Norco Threshold A3 - Woodcock Cycle Works

    JAMIS NOVA SPORT 2013 - CAD 849,00
    New Jamis Nova Sport 58CM Cyclocross - Pinkbike
    The JAMIS is a CX bike and the others are regular ROAD bikes with relaxed geometry. My preference at this moment is for the JAMIS model, but it is going hard to find it on stock.

    Also, I have to consider in my budget a fender and a rear rack. From Brazil I going to bring with me some tools to save some money and just buy items that I really need (as a reserve tube, a floor pump, cycle computer and etc).
    Last edited by virtu; 03-17-14 at 03:07 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about steel bikes? Is that to complicated to have one because salt/ice problems?
    I research that steel bikes has lovers and haters, specially when the weather is a factor.

    Thanks again.

  13. #13
    Senior Member tigerteeuwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    And what about steel bikes? Is that to complicated to have one because salt/ice problems?
    I research that steel bikes has lovers and haters, specially when the weather is a factor.

    Thanks again.

    That's cool that your moving to Red Deer, I live in Red Deer myself!

    I used a road bike last year, but wanted to be able to do a bit more with my commute this year and not have to use a different bike depending on what i prefered. I ended up getting a norco threshold A2, the reason i didn't go with the A3 was because of the aluminum for the bike comes with, The A2 has a carbon fork.

  14. #14
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,850
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    Thanks a lot Sixty Fiver

    I noticed that you help a lot of users here and live in Edmonton (I read you blog).
    As you suggested in one of blog's post, in winter I will first check how is the weather and what do I really need. Probably I will going to buy a simple MTB to use it on winter and left the main bike save until I get used with the weather.

    Thanks for your attention.
    I only ride steel bicycles now although I have also owned aluminium... our climate is not that hard on steel if you protect it.

    People are often amazed that my winter bikes have not self destructed over the many years they have been seeing our winters and they often double up as rain bikes in the summer months too.

    A cyclocross bike is about as versatile as they come, you can tour, ride on the road, and even off road with them although you can opt for bikes that run fatter tyres and not give up much.

    My Moulden XC bike will do pretty much anything, it was custom built here in the early 90's.


  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerteeuwen View Post
    That's cool that your moving to Red Deer, I live in Red Deer myself!

    I used a road bike last year, but wanted to be able to do a bit more with my commute this year and not have to use a different bike depending on what i prefered. I ended up getting a norco threshold A2, the reason i didn't go with the A3 was because of the aluminum for the bike comes with, The A2 has a carbon fork.
    Thanks tigerteeuwen for you reply, I appreciate that.

    Nice to know that you are from Red Deer, Gerald G also posted that he lives near Red Deer.
    Right now I am really in doubt what to buy, but first, I am going to arrive in Red Deer and check at Sportscheck what they have in sale (they have a 10% off and $20 in rebate).

    Another bike that seems nice is JAMIS AURORA ELITE 2013 version, I think that bike has an high stock volume and probably I can negotiate a better price on it.

    Thanks again

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I only ride steel bicycles now although I have also owned aluminium... our climate is not that hard on steel if you protect it.
    Thanks again Sixty Fiver;

    And what do you recommended to protect a steel bike (frame, components, little parts)?

  17. #17
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,850
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    Thanks again Sixty Fiver;

    And what do you recommended to protect a steel bike (frame, components, little parts)?
    Framesaver is a commercial treatment that goes inside the frame, boiled linseed oil was a traditional preservative.

    A quality car wax on the outside will shield the bike from grunge and make it much easier to keep clean.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Framesaver is a commercial treatment that goes inside the frame, boiled linseed oil was a traditional preservative.

    A quality car wax on the outside will shield the bike from grunge and make it much easier to keep clean.
    Thanks again Sixty Fiver.

    I think that I need to be simple, so I am going to choose an aluminium bike as my first bike in Canada.
    Sportschek has an 10% sale and $20 instant rebate* on some bike models. For example JAMIS NOVA SPORT is $999, minus 10% off goes to $899,10, minus $20 instant rebate* goes to $879,10 with free shipping or local store pick-up.

    *How this instant rebate works? Just put into cart and on final checkout the value goes off?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally I made my decision

    It is going to be the Jamis Nova Sport on 58cm size, but only in May I am going to buy it.

    Also, I am going to get an SKS CHROMOPLASTICS P-45 Fenders (SKS Germany) and a Topeak Rear Rack for disc brakes.

    For fender's installation probably I will need some spacers, just like this pictures that I found over a google search:

    1122904912_hmSAt-L.jpg1122905285_faUFs-L.jpg

    Do you @gerald_g and @tigerteeuwen knows where I can find this kind of spacers, washers and bolts in Red Deer?

    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by virtu; 04-09-14 at 10:33 AM.

  20. #20
    babylon by bike Standalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Haven, CT, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.
    Posts
    2,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Jamis steel road bike (Satellite) Sounds like you made a good decision to me!
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, just bought my Jamis Nova Sport, 2014 model, size 58cm, from Sportchek Family and Friends sale.
    It was 999.99 and with 25% off it costs 749.99 before tax and shipping.

    Also, I bought Ibera PakRack Pannier (http://www.amazon.ca/Ibera-PakRak-Qu...=ibera+pannier), 30L and going to buy some fenders and Ibera Rear Rack to match with the panniers.

    Thanks for all and as soon I get it I will post some pictures.


  22. #22
    Lug
    Lug is offline
    Senior Member Lug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage AK
    My Bikes
    2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always get a chuckle out of the whole "don't buy steel because it corrodes, buy aluminium instead for your winter bike." Don't kid yourself aluminium will corrode in a salty winter conditions too. It just doesn't turn a nice red colour to let you know it is dying. One of the products we use on our aircraft is ADF-50. Kind of a purple grape juice looking liquid.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I received the bike but I have on question: toe overlap.
    Is it common in Road/CS bike to happen toe overlap?

    I got a 58cm and the 61cm appears to be too big for me, but until today I rode only MTB and have no problems with toe overlap and now I am little worried about it.

    Looking into Jamis Size Chart we have:

    TT: 575mm on 58cm and 595cm on 61cm = 2cm difference
    Stem: 120mm on 58cm and 120mm on 61cm = 0cm difference
    Wheel base: 1024mm on 58cm and 1033 on 61cm = 0.9cm difference

    So, even if I got the large size the wheel base will not change too much and toe overlap will still happen.

    The Jamis has a good 120mm stem over 575mm top tube, what makes the total length of 695mm and fits me very nice.

    The center of BB to top of TT has 546mm and the seatpost has 300mm that I adjust it up to 170mm high and the saddle height fits just as it must be with the knee slightly bend. (Google it: How to get your seat height right - BikeRadar)

    The final position is a little more upright than normal and way more comfortable for long rides. What do you think?

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by virtu; 05-22-14 at 05:58 AM.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Red Deer, AB - Canada
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

    After a few weeks, here it is


    --


    Today I rode 54.1km on Red Deer and around it (RD 272 -> RD 390 -> RD 270 -> RD 595) and for the first ride the bike was awesome
    Couple of pictures of the ride:


    --

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •