Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-14, 11:14 AM   #1
cncwhiz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carson Valley, Nevada
Bikes: Treak 6000 mountain bike, Specialized hard rock moutain bike, Amp research b3 mountain bike, Old road bike unknown brand and year.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What tires do you commute on.

My commuter bike is a early 90's mountain bike. I am riding on mountain bike style tires. I want to change to a fast road tire. My only issue is I ride on a dirt and gravel road for some of my ride to work. The Lbs tells me to run a tire with inverted tread profile. What do you ride on?
cncwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:18 AM   #2
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you ride on packed dirt or fine gravel inverted is better -- otherwise normal knobbies are better - imo.
spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:19 AM   #3
jmilleronaire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Bikes: 1994 Mongoose Switchback, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP, Cheap unnamed ssfg road bike
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use Crossroads Armadillo on my mountain bike converted to commuting/touring. They're the only ones I've used, so I'm a very minimalist data point, but they do roll pretty well on roads, and worked well on the gravel roads I used to ride. The theory on them is a smooth center tread for road, but knobby sides if you sink into dirt, and although this theory has been contested and argued, they do seem to work quite well for me. I have about 1,000 miles on them now, and they still look quite new.

They also have good flat protection.

Specialized Crossroads Armadillo Tire

Edit: the only "road style" I've used on my MTB. I've ground many knobbies to dust.

Last edited by jmilleronaire; 03-20-14 at 11:31 AM.
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:21 AM   #4
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Not another tire thread...ugh...Marathon Supremes FTW.
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:28 AM   #5
teddywookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Metro Boston
Bikes: Cheap Nashbar single speed. Blue
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty happy with Michelin city tires. Well, tire. Don't know what the front one is. The dry rot hasn't completely eaten through the sidewall, but it's certainly unreadable now. Commute is all asphalt, maybe a fifth of it bad asphalt.
teddywookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:28 AM   #6
jmilleronaire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Bikes: 1994 Mongoose Switchback, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP, Cheap unnamed ssfg road bike
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Not another tire thread...ugh...Marathon Supremes FTW.
Yes, there is only one answer to any question, and that is your answer.

I do see the cause of your frustration, there seems to be a pretty narrow rotation of questions, one of the biggest (behind "which bike is best for me?") being "which tire?". But there's an enormous selection available, and each one fits a niche and is being used somewhere. And yes, there are a lot of threads that ask this, but looking at the sheer volume of options, and the fact that each new member feels their particular use is different than they can find asked about here, a little patience goes a long way.

For example: would you still recommend marathon supreme if the dirt/gravel roads they ride turn to mud when it rains twice a week? Because marathon supreme tread sure wouldn't be acceptable for me in that condition.
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:43 AM   #7
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilleronaire View Post
Yes, there is only one answer to any question, and that is your answer.

I do see the cause of your frustration, there seems to be a pretty narrow rotation of questions, one of the biggest (behind "which bike is best for me?") being "which tire?". But there's an enormous selection available, and each one fits a niche and is being used somewhere. And yes, there are a lot of threads that ask this, but looking at the sheer volume of options, and the fact that each new member feels their particular use is different than they can find asked about here, a little patience goes a long way.

For example: would you still recommend marathon supreme if the dirt/gravel roads they ride turn to mud when it rains twice a week? Because marathon supreme tread sure wouldn't be acceptable for me in that condition.
I answered the OPs question about a suitable road tire for a MTB. I have the same answer to your question, unless the mud is on a hill, in which case some knobby tires would be better. I use Marathon Supremes on muddy MUPs (the C&O Canal Towpath, to be specific) and while not ideal, once I'm back on pavement, I'm rolling faster and smoother.
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:47 AM   #8
jmilleronaire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Bikes: 1994 Mongoose Switchback, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP, Cheap unnamed ssfg road bike
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
I answered the OPs question about a suitable road tire for a MTB. I have the same answer to your question, unless the mud is on a hill, in which case some knobby tires would be better. I use Marathon Supremes on muddy MUPs (the C&O Canal Towpath, to be specific) and while not ideal, once I'm back on pavement, I'm rolling faster and smoother.
But in the original question: "My only issue is I ride on a dirt and gravel road for some of my ride to work." So this is a daily thing for the OP, not a rarity.
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 12:25 PM   #9
jeffpoulin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think Schwalbe Marathon Mondials would be good for the OP's case. They roll well on pavement and dirt, they're puncture resistant, and much lighter than the Marathon Pluses (although heavier than the Supremes). I use them as my winter commuting tire and also on my gravel grinder.
jeffpoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 12:30 PM   #10
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Serfas Drifters are better than Marathons when not on pavement and nearly as good when on. Cheaper too.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 12:36 PM   #11
FenderTL5
Senior Member
 
FenderTL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville TN
Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My mountain bike has Bontrager H2 street tires on it.

The hybrid has Michelin City Tires
FenderTL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 01:20 PM   #12
cncwhiz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carson Valley, Nevada
Bikes: Treak 6000 mountain bike, Specialized hard rock moutain bike, Amp research b3 mountain bike, Old road bike unknown brand and year.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Not another tire thread...ugh...Marathon Supremes FTW.
Show me the thread you are referring to. I have been looking and did not find one for what I need.
cncwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 01:24 PM   #13
cncwhiz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carson Valley, Nevada
Bikes: Treak 6000 mountain bike, Specialized hard rock moutain bike, Amp research b3 mountain bike, Old road bike unknown brand and year.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
I answered the OPs question about a suitable road tire for a MTB. I have the same answer to your question, unless the mud is on a hill, in which case some knobby tires would be better. I use Marathon Supremes on muddy MUPs (the C&O Canal Towpath, to be specific) and while not ideal, once I'm back on pavement, I'm rolling faster and smoother.
I have mountain bike tires on my bike. I am looking for the best riding tire for the road that won't put me on my ass on a dirt road.
cncwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:04 PM   #14
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncwhiz View Post
Show me the thread you are referring to. I have been looking and did not find one for what I need.
Found this one on page 1, a little ways down from yours.

Would slick tires be worth the cost for me to upgrade?
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:19 PM   #15
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 1 road bike, 1 MTB
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncwhiz View Post
My commuter bike is a early 90's mountain bike. I am riding on mountain bike style tires. I want to change to a fast road tire. My only issue is I ride on a dirt and gravel road for some of my ride to work. The Lbs tells me to run a tire with inverted tread profile. What do you ride on?
I ride an early '90s rigid mountain bike and commute five miles each way. It's probably 25% dirt/fine gravel and 75% pavement and it's hilly.

I use Forte Gotham street tires available inexpensively at Performance Bike. I think I paid $11 each on sale in a store. I live in goathead burr country and I haven't had a flat yet, although they're still pretty new.

For me, the much easier/faster riding on paved roads far, FAR outweighs any weakness off-road. I'm not riding technical single-track but just trails and fire roads and these Gothams are perfectly fine for that.

The only off-road slippage I've noticed is when riding from dirt up onto a cement or pavement - with knobbies, you can approach at just about any angle to hop up on the pavement and the tires will grip fine. With these, a more perpendicular approach to a paved surface that's a higher than the little the dirt is safer.

I've found if you try to hit that pavement at a very low angle, like say 10 to 30 degrees (I'm just guessing here), the sides of the tires can slip against the pavement and could put you on the ground if you're really unaware or going too fast to recover. But this is rare - I did it once, recovered without wiping out, and now I just watch out for that situation.

Forté Gotham Road and Mountain Tires

Last edited by Squeeze; 03-20-14 at 03:26 PM.
Squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:25 PM   #16
chjcb77
Junior Member
 
chjcb77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Bikes: hybridized MTB "Black Swan" (commuter), Bianchi Volpe "Vulpecula" (light touring, long distance))
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes i use my randonneur bike (bianchi volpe) as commuter, sometimes it's the hybridized MTB (OEM frame).

Got Vittoria randonneurs pro (700x32), which are really great, on the bianchi and 26x1.25 kenda kwests (which are ok and inexpensive tires) on the MTB.

However, the kendas are really slippery on wet non asphaltic pavement (like mud and wet gravel) and feel not very stable on grassy patches.

Last edited by chjcb77; 03-20-14 at 03:27 PM. Reason: not enough coffee on system…
chjcb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:33 PM   #17
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,430
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
One of the very few tires I would try that is NOT made by Panaracer is the Vittoria Hyper or whatever it's called now. People who like Panaracers and Grand Bois (made by Panaracer) love this tire. I like a light, nimble ride, and I will sacrifice toughness for it. I usually ride Panaracer Pasela tires, which are only about $20 each.

I'm not sure inverted tread does any good, but it doesn't seem to do any harm, either.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:40 PM   #18
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilleronaire View Post
I do see the cause of your frustration, there seems to be a pretty narrow rotation of questions, one of the biggest (behind "which bike is best for me?") being "which tire?".
It's a monthly thing. March just happens to be "Tire Month". We only have a bit over a week left.

In April we discuss chain lube.

You can wait until the second week to bother reading anything, that's when I post the correct answer.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:47 PM   #19
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 1 road bike, 1 MTB
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to the veterans for putting up with us newbies and answering the same questions over and over.

I just found this place last summer after I had started commuting on a department store full-suspension knobby-tired MTB with a backpack and having never owned a bike helmet in my life.

You guys helped me out so much and I now have a rigid MTB on road tires with a rack, a loud bell, front and rear lights, a helmet, gloves, frame pump, underseat bag with spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, and so on.

And a road bike!

Lots of good advice around here. Thanks.
Squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 04:27 PM   #20
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Serfas Drifters are better than Marathons when not on pavement and nearly as good when on. Cheaper too.
I'm a big fan of Marathon Supremes,but in the OP's case I'll +1 Serfas Drifters. Specialized Crossroads would also be a good choice.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 05:02 PM   #21
cncwhiz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carson Valley, Nevada
Bikes: Treak 6000 mountain bike, Specialized hard rock moutain bike, Amp research b3 mountain bike, Old road bike unknown brand and year.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
I ride an early '90s rigid mountain bike and commute five miles each way. It's probably 25% dirt/fine gravel and 75% pavement and it's hilly.

I use Forte Gotham street tires available inexpensively at Performance Bike. I think I paid $11 each on sale in a store. I live in goathead burr country and I haven't had a flat yet, although they're still pretty new.

For me, the much easier/faster riding on paved roads far, FAR outweighs any weakness off-road. I'm not riding technical single-track but just trails and fire roads and these Gothams are perfectly fine for that.

The only off-road slippage I've noticed is when riding from dirt up onto a cement or pavement - with knobbies, you can approach at just about any angle to hop up on the pavement and the tires will grip fine. With these, a more perpendicular approach to a paved surface that's a higher than the little the dirt is safer.

I've found if you try to hit that pavement at a very low angle, like say 10 to 30 degrees (I'm just guessing here), the sides of the tires can slip against the pavement and could put you on the ground if you're really unaware or going too fast to recover. But this is rare - I did it once, recovered without wiping out, and now I just watch out for that situation.

Forté Gotham Road and Mountain Tires
I live in Northern Nevada and we too have goatheads and all the other fun rural issues. This is the information I am looking for. I have an offroad bike and will ride it out in the blm. This bike will be to commute. I ride mostly blacktop but I ride a friends farm road part of the way.
cncwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 05:11 PM   #22
cncwhiz
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Carson Valley, Nevada
Bikes: Treak 6000 mountain bike, Specialized hard rock moutain bike, Amp research b3 mountain bike, Old road bike unknown brand and year.
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
How about instead of complaining about the same questions that I and several others want to know, you make a sticky? Not all of use have years of experience . I have a bunch of questions on bikes that I want to and will ask. If I don't find it at the time I will post it up. I have a amp research b3 that I have looked all over the web about. If you have multiple posts about that please tell me now so I don't waste your time.
cncwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 06:07 PM   #23
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncwhiz View Post
How about instead of complaining about the same questions that I and several others want to know, you make a sticky? Not all of use have years of experience . I have a bunch of questions on bikes that I want to and will ask. If I don't find it at the time I will post it up. I have a amp research b3 that I have looked all over the web about. If you have multiple posts about that please tell me now so I don't waste your time.
Don't get so worked up...just razzing you a bit...starting a new thread is way better than resurrecting a 10 year old zombie.
alan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 06:42 PM   #24
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,430
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Stickies don't work. There, I said it. People don't use the search facility. Questions are repeated forever.

And I'm OK with all of that. I'm not going to explain chain elongation any more, because I've done it a hundred times, but that's OK, because someone else will.

The chain lube debate makes me roll my eyes, but it's OK, because it's a rite of passage. You have to take a stand, express your opinion, and eventually get bored and leave it to newcomers.

I still welcome questions about tires. It hasn't gotten old for me. Tires are still advancing. Moreover, I've discovered that tires make more difference than just about anything you can buy for your bike. I'm curious to know what people like, but I also insist on knowing the context. Some people ride in cities with lots of broken glass and vehemently hate getting a flat in the middle of a ride. Some people have goathead proliferation. I don't think I've ever seen a goathead. Some people would pay almost any price premium or performance loss for the sake of flat protection. Some people want a compromise between that and performance. Some people like the best performance they can get, but among those people, there are lots of different size budgets. I am a performance oriented tire buyer but I'm also a cheapskate, which is why the Pasela is just about the only tire I buy these days. I am also a former bike mechanic, and I can change a flat on the rear in five minutes with my eyes closed. I don't even spend any time thinking about how annoyed it is. It just doesn't bother me. I change my underwear every day, and I change my inner tube every three months or so. No big deal. It's all part of a plan.

So when you state which tire you like, please also tell us what your criteria are. Some of those Schwalbe tires must be nice, because the prices are pretty astonishing to me.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 07:02 PM   #25
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
My 2 cents. Continental Contact II are good for mixed surfaces, while their 4 Seasons tyres seem good for mostly pavement, but I'm still testing those. Both of which are worth only on sale prices, some 40% lower - I'd never pay the premium price for those.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.