Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-14, 05:07 PM   #1
Jeffbeerman2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wichita KS USA
Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does this exist "off the rack?"

Considering a new rig. I had an ideal rig but we parted ways a while back.

My past experience has taught me that a complete bike is much much (much) cheaper than a custom build. This is especially true of commuter bikes.

I've been browsing the forums and various manufacturer sites and haven't found the ideal.

Here is my wish list:

Hybrid riding position. I don't want a cruiser upright position, nor do I want an aggressive racing road bike geometry. I want an efficient comfortable riding position.

Bars: I prefer a wide "drop" bar so I can vary hand positions for longer rides. Not a deal-breaker if cycle doesn't have drops, just a preference.

Pant protection: I'm not kidding here. I hate shredding my trousers. I want a chain guard of some sort. I wear normal clothes. This is a must because there are no reliable aftermarket fixes to this. A chain with guard or a belt drive are both fine.

Gearing: No SS. I live in an occasionally-hilly area and need gears. I don't care if it is internally geared or derailleur. I actually prefer a derailleur but it isn't common to find one with a chain guard.

Lighting: Hub dyno with LED lighting included. This is a must because getting a wheel built with a dyno hub is prohibitively expensive.

Tires: 30mm or fatter. I want a smooth stable ride on these terrible roads.

Other: Included fenders and racks a plus. At minimum, I would want a bike designed to easily accept fenders and rear rack.

Brakes: prefer disc, but not a deal-breaker. Mechanical is fine.

Price: $1500 or less is ideal. Not more than $2000.

Basically I'm looking for a cross or touring bike with a chain guard and dyno lighting system. Does it exist?
Jeffbeerman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:17 PM   #2
bikejrff
Senior Member
 
bikejrff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Bikes: Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, Bianchi Impulso, SuperSix (2010 & 2012), CAAD 10, Trek Madone Project One (2009 & 2011), Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1, Scott CX Team
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SCOTT Sub Speed 10 Bike - SCOTT Sports

bikepedia.com shows four different levels of this bike. I saw this one in person and it has most of what you are looking for I think. As I recall the price was around $1300?
bikejrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:29 PM   #3
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2 View Post
Considering a new rig. I had an ideal rig but we parted ways a while back.

My past experience has taught me that a complete bike is much much (much) cheaper than a custom build. This is especially true of commuter bikes.

I've been browsing the forums and various manufacturer sites and haven't found the ideal.

Here is my wish list:

Hybrid riding position. I don't want a cruiser upright position, nor do I want an aggressive racing road bike geometry. I want an efficient comfortable riding position.

Bars: I prefer a wide "drop" bar so I can vary hand positions for longer rides. Not a deal-breaker if cycle doesn't have drops, just a preference.

Pant protection: I'm not kidding here. I hate shredding my trousers. I want a chain guard of some sort. I wear normal clothes. This is a must because there are no reliable aftermarket fixes to this. A chain with guard or a belt drive are both fine.

Gearing: No SS. I live in an occasionally-hilly area and need gears. I don't care if it is internally geared or derailleur. I actually prefer a derailleur but it isn't common to find one with a chain guard.

Lighting: Hub dyno with LED lighting included. This is a must because getting a wheel built with a dyno hub is prohibitively expensive.

Tires: 30mm or fatter. I want a smooth stable ride on these terrible roads.

Other: Included fenders and racks a plus. At minimum, I would want a bike designed to easily accept fenders and rear rack.

Brakes: prefer disc, but not a deal-breaker. Mechanical is fine.

Price: $1500 or less is ideal. Not more than $2000.

Basically I'm looking for a cross or touring bike with a chain guard and dyno lighting system. Does it exist?
Tons of EU bikes have these specs ... willing to buy and ship from the EU?
acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:40 PM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
you can add accessories,at point of sale to a bike not fully hitting all those marks ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 07:05 PM   #5
blakcloud 
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S/M3L (modified)
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
How about the Breezer Beltway. It hits most of your wants but not all. You have one tall order and I don't think you will fulfill it with off the shelf. Build your own to get everything you want.

Breezer Bikes - Beltway 8 - Bike Overview
blakcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 10:46 PM   #6
Jeffbeerman2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wichita KS USA
Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
How about the Breezer Beltway. It hits most of your wants but not all. You have one tall order and I don't think you will fulfill it with off the shelf. Build your own to get everything you want.

Breezer Bikes - Beltway 8 - Bike Overview
Thanks for that one. I'll see if I can find one to test.

Last edited by Jeffbeerman2; 04-03-14 at 01:55 PM.
Jeffbeerman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 02:31 AM   #7
zeppinger
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
Posts: 1,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
REI has a few Novara models that might fit the bill. Here is the faciest one. I think the 2013 version had a dyno front hub if you can find one. Novara Gotham Bike - 2014 at REI.com
zeppinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:48 PM   #8
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: I am where I'm at.
Bikes: You don't care about mine, I don't care about yours.
Posts: 1,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2 View Post
My past experience has taught me that a complete bike is much much (much) cheaper than a custom build. This is especially true of commuter bikes.
I have found the opposite true. I'm building a long wheelbase Cannondale with 105+ level components and lightweight wheels. I'll be saving about 500-1000 with respsect to comparable complete bikes.
jfowler85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:55 PM   #9
Jeffbeerman2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wichita KS USA
Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
REI has a few Novara models that might fit the bill. Here is the faciest one. I think the 2013 version had a dyno front hub if you can find one. Novara Gotham Bike - 2014 at REI.com
Thanks. I'll check the KC store the next time I'm in town.
Jeffbeerman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 02:07 PM   #10
DiegoFrogs
Senior Member
 
DiegoFrogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Bikes: Centurion and Carlton touring bikes, junky Helkama city bike
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Adding your own dynamo hub and lighting may actually make financial sense, particularly if you're not firmly in the "must have disc brakes" camp. I added a low-end Sanyo and good German lights to my 1977 Centurion for less than $250. That was in the US, and I could do pretty good for probably half of that here in Sweden.
DiegoFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 03:31 PM   #11
scoatw
Senior Member
 
scoatw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: central ohio
Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If anything happens to my bike, I'd replace it with a Salsa Vaya.
scoatw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 07:27 PM   #12
WestMass
Senior Member
 
WestMass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Massachusetts
Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SL2 Trail Hardtail 29er, 2014 Kona Zone Two Ultegra, 2010 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Schwinn Traveler Single Speed
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that breezer is dopppppeeeeee
WestMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:35 PM   #13
JCNeumann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked at this?

Novara Gotham Bike - 2014 at REI.com

not the prettiest, but I tried on one at a local REI and was pretty impressed. I may actually buy it if my office will let me keep it inside.

The shifting is a little weird, but it might be perfect for traffic.
JCNeumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 10:58 AM   #14
ret3
Sophomore Member
 
ret3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Me: 2011 Novara Fusion, "Ivy Mike" and 2014 Novara FlyBy, "Nightbeat"; My Wife: 2012 Torker Tristar, "Kate"
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to sing the praises of my checks-all-those-boxes Novara Fusion, but then I noticed that they're not making it anymore.
ret3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 11:35 AM   #15
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler85 View Post
I have found the opposite true. I'm building a long wheelbase Cannondale with 105+ level components and lightweight wheels. I'll be saving about 500-1000 with respsect to comparable complete bikes.
That simply isn't possible. Define "comparable". You cannot with a straight face tell us that you can get a better price on a 105 gruppo than Cannondale can.
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 12:24 PM   #16
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler85 View Post
I have found the opposite true. I'm building a long wheelbase Cannondale with 105+ level components and lightweight wheels. I'll be saving about 500-1000 with respsect to comparable complete bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That simply isn't possible. Define "comparable". You cannot with a straight face tell us that you can get a better price on a 105 gruppo than Cannondale can.
Yeah - Cannondale's CAAD8 with 105 is only $1300 - can't imagine saving $500 to $1000 off of that even if buying slightly used eBay parts.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 05:34 PM   #17
AngeloDolce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You have a good list for an American commute; my suspicion is that since these bikes aren't popular here you may have to make minor changes or give up a feature or two. The Dutch bikes I've seen have the racks,tires, dynamos, but are a bit more upright and you'd probably want to change the bars.

I'm a little surprised REI dropped the dynamo hub from the Gotham, since the selling point for these bikes was that they came with fenders, lights good racks, etc. I have the Transfer (V brakes) and got the Fusion (disk brakes) at their "garage sale". I find the posture is noticeably different from the English 3 speeds I prefer, but the REI bikes do have new (reliable) components and the chain guard is surprisingly effective.

The racks are also well designed. My experience is that buying a complete bike is faster and cheaper than than components. If you have lots of used parts, that can be cheaper, but more time consuming.
AngeloDolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 06:55 PM   #18
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hopkins, Minnesota
Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 199x Schwinn police bike, 197x Schwinn Continental
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Jamis Aurora seems pretty close. The base model lists just under $1000 with mechanical brakes, and the higher end model has disc brakes and goes for $1600. The bike shop would set it up with dynamo and light, and subtract some money for the stock front wheel. With the base model you'd come in well under $1500. The Specialized AWOL would be a good start too, but you'd have to add the cost of fenders and rack.
PennyTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 08:34 PM   #19
byrd48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwinn has two lines, the signature line sold through bike shops and the standard line sold in big box. The Coffee 2 is a lot of bike for the price, built in rack and chainguard Coffee 2 - Urban - Bikes | Schwinn Bicycles
The 411 is a unique bike with disc brakes and internal gears and front rack: 4ONEONE 1 - Urban - Bikes | Schwinn Bicycles

But maybe the most unique bike I've seen from them is the Vestige. It has a flax fiber frame and even comes with Schwalbe tires and a dynamo hub. It has lighting inside the frame which makes the frame itself glow. I saw one at a bike shop last year and almost bought it. 2012 Schwinn Vestige Mens Urban Bike
byrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 09:22 AM   #20
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hopkins, Minnesota
Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 199x Schwinn police bike, 197x Schwinn Continental
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed someone else suggested Breezer. They appear to have several bikes with dynamo hubs. Here's another one:
Breezer Bikes - Greenway Elite - Bike Overview
PennyTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.