Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Someone made fun of my helmet today..

    sooo I was biking home, rather slowly since I own a mountain bike and its hard to get up hills. There was a group of guys sitting of their porch, and one started yelling at me, " hey you, you, heeeeey!" I ignored them but he kept yelling " helmet girl, nice helmet!" Like is it really that odd to see someone with a high vis helmet??? Picture below.

    image.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member Giant Doofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    609
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fantastic helmet! I haven't seen one like that before. My guess is that they were "flirting" in the most hopeless and awkward way possible. Seriously, did any guy ever meet a woman who wanted to go out with him by yelling dumb stuff like this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member RoadTire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Posts
    1,560
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They're just a gaggle of silly twits. Now if you were wearing a football helmet .... then they might have a point.

    That's a nice bright helmet and you look kinda bright, so ya, I think they were tossing compliments. Somehow I picture a college area and a frat house.
    FB4K - Free Bikes 4 Kidz. This fall 5000 bikes have been donated and we will have them all set to go by Dec 6. That's 5000 kids getting bicycles for Christmas, just in the Twin Cities.

  4. #4
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,222
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm making fun of you now!

    Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

    Rule #37 noob!

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,944
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bunch of guys flirting with the girl on a bike. IMO... the helmet had nothing to do with the hoots.

  6. #6
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadTire View Post
    They're just a gaggle of silly twits. Now if you were wearing a football helmet .... then they might have a point.

    That's a nice bright helmet and you look kinda bright, so ya, I think they were tossing compliments. Somehow I picture a college area and a frat house.

    thats funny, it was a frat house I was riding by lol. I live in a college town. But it was just kind of embarrassing you know? Lol

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mr. Hairy Legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delta/Richmond, B.C.
    My Bikes
    Norco Charger 7.3, Trek 1.5C, Norco Threshold A3, Trek 4300, Carrera Combat
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with a helmet. Unless it's one of those pointy wind tunnel things.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mulveyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In the wilds of NY
    My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    thats funny, it was a frat house I was riding by lol. I live in a college town. But it was just kind of embarrassing you know? Lol
    Nothing to be embarrassed about--it's just the usual sort of d-bags who would be catcalling if you walked by; being on the bike and having a helmet just gave them something a little different to comment on.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fontana, California USA
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah your cute, sure as hell they were flirting. Probably couldn't think of anything else to say.
    Giant Rapid 3- COMMUTERIZED *IBERA*Nashbar*Tiagra*105*Velocity*Selle SMP*Gatorskin
    Every commute is a race. I do victory laps in my driveway

  10. #10
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you ride by that same frat house put a black milk crate over your head and then see what their reaction will be.

  11. #11
    Fearless Isaiahc72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.1 FX, '95 Giant Attraction
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    sooo I was biking home, rather slowly since I own a mountain bike and its hard to get up hills. There was a group of guys sitting of their porch, and one started yelling at me, " hey you, you, heeeeey!" I ignored them but he kept yelling " helmet girl, nice helmet!" Like is it really that odd to see someone with a high vis helmet??? Picture below.

    image.jpg
    Maybe they really did like it and weren't making fun of it. Of course people are always gonna try and find some way to put others down though. I personally think that's an awesome helmet and kinda wish I had one rather than my plain, white helmet. White ones are way to mainstream. But if you want to have a little fun, get an airhorn and do a simple little mod if you have to so that it's extra extra loud. And then ride by there late at night and honk a couple times to wake them up. And then ride away knowing that you may have just hurt their sleeping schedule.

    Or take a picture of the helmet and tape it to their door so that they can admire it more without disturbing you.
    Last edited by Isaiahc72; 04-05-14 at 06:42 PM.
    IC

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chico, Cali
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
    Maybe they really did like it and weren't making fun of it. Of course people are always gonna try and find some way to put others down though. I personally think that's an awesome helmet and kinda wish I had one rather than my plain, white helmet. White ones are way to mainstream. But if you want to have a little fun, get an airhorn and do a simple little mod if you have to so that it's extra extra loud. And then ride by there late at night and honk a couple times to wake them up. And then ride away knowing that you may have just hurt their sleeping schedule.

    Or take a picture of the helmet and tape it to their door so that they can admire it more without disturbing you.
    You'd have to blast the horn at noon to disturb people sleeping at a frat house.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fontana, California USA
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii View Post
    You'd have to blast the horn at noon to disturb people sleeping at a frat house.
    Very true
    Giant Rapid 3- COMMUTERIZED *IBERA*Nashbar*Tiagra*105*Velocity*Selle SMP*Gatorskin
    Every commute is a race. I do victory laps in my driveway

  14. #14
    Senior Member walrus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    thats funny, it was a frat house I was riding by lol. I live in a college town. But it was just kind of embarrassing you know? Lol
    There ya go stupid probably drunk frat boys being stupid probably frat boys. By the way model Bell is that?

  15. #15
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus1 View Post
    There ya go stupid probably drunk frat boys being stupid probably frat boys. By the way model Bell is that?

    Bell muni hi vis yellow

  16. #16
    Senior Member MEversbergII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    My Bikes
    2012 Schwinn Trailway, Early 70's All Pro, Trek 1200
    Posts
    1,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a nice helmet. It's less beat up than mine!

    ...need to write more slogans on mine.

    M.

  17. #17
    Senior Member David Bierbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East area
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Posts
    1,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    sooo I was biking home, rather slowly since I own a mountain bike and its hard to get up hills. There was a group of guys sitting of their porch, and one started yelling at me, " hey you, you, heeeeey!" I ignored them but he kept yelling " helmet girl, nice helmet!" Like is it really that odd to see someone with a high vis helmet??? Picture below.

    image.jpg
    I think he wasn't making fun of the helmet, so much as he was hitting on the girl. A time honored tradition of young males with too much time on their hands...

    Myself, I do prefer more sedate helmet colors. I leave the high-vis to my torso-wear.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Slaninar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Novi Sad
    My Bikes
    Custom assembled on Polar Forrester frame. :)
    Posts
    1,295
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    sooo I was biking home, rather slowly since I own a mountain bike and its hard to get up hills. There was a group of guys sitting of their porch, and one started yelling at me, " hey you, you, heeeeey!" I ignored them but he kept yelling " helmet girl, nice helmet!" Like is it really that odd to see someone with a high vis helmet??? Picture below.

    image.jpg

    Say... that's a nice helmet...




    Evviva il comunismo e la libertÓ.

  19. #19
    Senior Member chriskmurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine
    Posts
    927
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
    Yeah your cute, sure as hell they were flirting. Probably couldn't think of anything else to say.
    Yup, frat guys are not the wittiest group of people.

    See example A (fair warning, DO NOT click the link if easily offended or you don't like cussing): **** Frat Guys Say - YouTube

  20. #20
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    865
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a frat, long ago and far away. We would have done that and we would have been flirting. On the other hand, the hi-vis helmet is apparently easily seen, so I would say that it is working.

  21. #21
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,089
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    add a Mohawk fringe down the center of the helmet (there are stick on ones) and make it even more remarkable.

    extra geek points: Go Pro Camera , and a headlight mounted on the helmet ..

  22. #22
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Doofus View Post
    That's a fantastic helmet! I haven't seen one like that before. My guess is that they were "flirting" in the most hopeless and awkward way possible. Seriously, did any guy ever meet a woman who wanted to go out with him by yelling dumb stuff like this?
    This. Probably entertaining themselves and flirting a bit. Maybe thinking they are being clever, etc. Hopefully harmless stuff and if you just smiled and waved and then ignored them it would have been ok.
    http://www.280dude.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Michael.R.Henry

  23. #23
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Posts
    5,849
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a cute young lady - they were flirting with your helmet, as a way to get to you.......... and it worked!

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  24. #24
    Senior Member BobbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your handle is "Archery Queen". A couple of well-aimed shots should shut them up. But seriously, please wear a helmet. my college girlfriend didn't and fell. And while she didn't hit her head, she ended up sliding a half a block downhill with her bike pressing her head against the pavement. The sooner you learn to ignore peer pressure, the sooner you begin to enjoy your life to its fullest.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Rudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fontana, California USA
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I so always wanted a Mohawk on my helmet but don't want to be laughed at lol
    Giant Rapid 3- COMMUTERIZED *IBERA*Nashbar*Tiagra*105*Velocity*Selle SMP*Gatorskin
    Every commute is a race. I do victory laps in my driveway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •