Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-14, 08:51 PM   #26
old's'cool 
curmudgineer
 
old's'cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago SW burbs
Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
another site for bottom feeding is bikeisland.com
I have no first-hand experience, so caveat emptor, as always.
__________________
Geoff
"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am"
old's'cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 11:45 PM   #27
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes
 
Turtle Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I had great luck with an early version Denali... Over 20,000 miles on it, and I still use it... If someone tells you it's impossible to work on it means that they can't adjust Shimano Tourney derailleurs or entry level caliper brakes. Or they simply don't know what they're talking about.
I've had great experiences with department store bikes too. Got a few thousand miles on a new-school Schwinn Tourist, and it's working awesome. 27 pounds with kickstand, shifting perfectly, double quick release wheels, and friggin' sweet Shimano trigger shifters too.

Of course, I only bought it after learning bike maintenance, and I overhauled everything before even making one pedal stroke. I don't think I could recommend this route for most people, including beginners, non-DIY'ers, heavier riders (low spoke count), etc.
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 03:35 AM   #28
Phil_gretz
Bike Commuter in training
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...412677306.html

There's an example of your bike. Fits my proposed budget, too. Needs nothing to start...
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 07:36 AM   #29
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,124
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
I agree. The bikes you linked are all crap. In the end, they are not good values. Buy a used bike. You will be glad you did.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 08:12 AM   #30
JReade
Senior Member
 
JReade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mongoose Dynametic 525 Hybrid/Comfort Bike, 21 Speed

Buy this. Rack mounts, decent components. You can take it in for a tune up and handle some replacement if needed and still come out under budget.
JReade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 08:17 AM   #31
Phil_gretz
Bike Commuter in training
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReade View Post
Mongoose Dynametic 525 Hybrid/Comfort Bike, 21 Speed

Buy this. Rack mounts, decent components. You can take it in for a tune up and handle some replacement if needed and still come out under budget.
Agreed, exactly what I'd recommend. This one will need tires, brake pads, and adjustment. Likely the chain isn't too worn, but check it. Pay to have all bearings re-packed.

Well under your budget and available immediately.

OP, where are you?
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 08:30 AM   #32
JReade
Senior Member
 
JReade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Agreed, exactly what I'd recommend. This one will need tires, brake pads, and adjustment. Likely the chain isn't too worn, but check it. Pay to have all bearings re-packed.

Well under your budget and available immediately.

OP, where are you?
Orlando area, Longwood, FL.
JReade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 12:12 PM   #33
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!
 
RidingMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Winston Salem, NC USA
Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX--2016 Cervelo R2
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
I agree. The bikes you linked are all crap. In the end, they are not good values. Buy a used bike. You will be glad you did.
i agree I would rather ride a used bike than ride a walmart bike..

Robot Check

good deal on a bright light.
RidingMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 05:10 PM   #34
Robert C
Senior Member
 
Robert C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt lake, UT
Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Maybe check out Bikesdirect. The crappy bikes there are much less crappy then what is at Walmart. If you can deal with a single speed bike there are good options for $300 and less:

Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Essex Deluxe from bikesdirect.com
If you go up $100 you can get it with a three speed and have a bike that will be incomparably better than the ones the OP listed.

The top of this page also has several options of "road bike" style bikes at, or under, your price point.

I agree about Craigs List, unless flipping bikes is your hobby, you stand a good chance of doing poorly in CL; but, the Wal-Mart grade bikes have a well deserved reputation for poor quality. Wen you are starting out, or using it as sole transportation, is not the time to get a bike that takes constant tinkering. That is part of the reason I resomend new bikers stay with Internal Gear Hubs and away form derailleurs; but definitely avoid the cheap deraillers found on the department store grade bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg essex_dlx_blk__xi_300.jpg (26.9 KB, 2 views)
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 05:26 PM   #35
MyBikeGotStolen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbarr1 View Post
Ah, well I ended up taking a look and the used Trek's on there are $300 and more, but I will keep looking. I bought a bike from there, within one month I replaced a wheel and nwo the left crank is done, the bearings inside...I really do not trust people on there with bikes, but if it's a trek in my budget I will give it some real consideration
Do you still have this bike? What make and model is it? It sounds like it may just need a bottom bracket to get on the road again. A bike shop should fix that for about $40, or for $40, you could buy a new bottom bracket and the tools (from Amazon/Nashbar) and do it your self. You pay about the same price, but you learn and have tools left over!
MyBikeGotStolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 05:39 PM   #36
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Maybe check out Bikesdirect. The crappy bikes there are much less crappy then what is at Walmart. If you can deal with a single speed bike there are good options for $300 and less:

Save Up to 60% Off GT Traffic Bikes, Hybrid bikes, Multi-speed Comfort and Hybrid bikes

Save Up To 60% Off Fixie Track Bikes | Track Bikes | Fixie Gear | Single Speed Bicycles | Motobecane singlespeed bicycles | Save up to 60% off list prices

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Track Bikes | Fixed Gear | Single Speed Bicycles | Motobecane Fixie Flat Bar singlespeed bicycles | Save up to 60% off list prices

Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Essex from bikesdirect.com


A little more and you can get a internal gear bike:

Save Up to 60% Off Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish Three Speed City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Oxford from bikesdirect.com

Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bikes Cafe Express 3 | Shimano Nexus Three Speed internal gear hub | Save up to 60% off new bikes

or geared bike:

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue FB | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

You will have to do some assembly but any of those bikes should last several years as long as you maintain them and that makes more sense than buying a $150 bike every year.

For lights, I got Serfas Thunderbolts and they are a great bang for the buck. About $40 each

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...s%7Cusb-lights

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ights%7Cpage:2

Thank you for the info. By the way I received a private message but am unable to respond due to that silly rule about having to post 50 times to respond, kinda non productive. I do appreciate the feedback, I have to think about it all, thanks.
I still don't know if a hybrid or a road is best, my gut tells me a hybrid is.
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 07:04 PM   #37
Deal4Fuji
Entry Level
 
Deal4Fuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've had good luck with Schwinn's from mass-merchants. This Trailway from Target is my exercise bike for riding hard laps around my neighborhood almost every night & I'm 250 lbs. One thing that is good about a m-m is they have a liberal return policy, so if you do have problems with it you're not stuck. This video helped sell me:


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schwinn Traiway.jpg (102.2 KB, 6 views)
Deal4Fuji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 03:16 PM   #38
grizzly907la
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Denali is a fine bike for its price

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbarr1 View Post
Hello,

I want to make this as succinct as possible to save you all time in trying to understand my situation, etc so I will try to be specific.
I will be riding on concrete, either via residential or a straight forward, nicely paved, public trail 7 miles each way.
I have a strict budget of up to a max of $300.
I have bought a cheap bike to get by in the past and it lasted about 1 year of solid usage; Repairs cost more than the bike is worth.
I don't have much time, about a week before I have to buy.
I will be night riding, the trail will be pitch black at night, the residential is lighted enough but I will be buying a nice light (need a suggestion on that too).
Since I do not have a car and I do not trust craigs list, I will be buying from Wal Mart or maybe Sports Authority.
I am 5'11 1/2 and weigh about 280 (I stopped riding 6 months ago and gained a **** ton of weight)
I cannot afford a Trek unfortunately
There are some 700c hybrids I saw, linked here:
GMC Denali 700c Men's Road Bike - Walmart.com
Jeep Men's 700C Jeep Compass Hybrid Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com
700C Hyper Spinfusion Adult Hybrid Bike - Walmart.com

Hybrid or Road?

I am sorry if wrong forum and this has eben asked I am sure 1,000 times but I figured each situation is different. I began reading the forums and quickly became dizzy.
It's kind of urgent, any advice is greatly appreciated. My name is Tim
Tim the Denali is a fine road bike for its price. Stay away from Craigslist. The bikes on Cl in my area are absolute crap, and you will be spending money to get them upgraded. YMMV. You can get a Denali from $159-250. The only thing you will have to change out on it is the brake pads, because they are awful but that's like a $10-20 fix. You will need to assemble part of the bike if you get it get it online-just like any bike you get-unless you buy it at a local bike shop, and that's going to cost you much more than $300. I am not knocking them, and they provide a good service to those that can afford to have their hands held and who can also afford higher end bicycles.

For $300 you can get the Denali, proper brake pads, have it safety checked (everything tightened, and gears adjusted etc,) buy some decent lights, a U-lock, and maybe even a good helmet (Amazon has all of that.) The Denali is the best bike in its price range. The handle were cut in half in order to place the Revo shifters on them. They are NOT glued together with wood glue like some leetist thing, but are in fact securely bolted together. There's a metal shim as well so they can fit on the handlebars. Just make sure that bolt is tight and you will have no problems. The bike is heavier than the more expensive. That only means that you will be burning more fat and getting into fighting form even faster. The Varsity will feel flimsy underneath you.

Of course the Denali isn't going to feel as smooth as a higher end bike but by God it gets the job done. You can even save more money if you learn how to fix the bike yourself. Of course theirs an initial cost for tools etc but that's down the road. The rewards of doing your own work are numerous and you no long have to depend on the LBS and the leets that work there. I will provide with some links for YT videos on the Denali and some links from hard core cyclists who have a love the Denali. You could also upgrade parts of the Denali over time thus defraying some of the cost and be able to fit it into your monthly budget.

I actually have a Denali and have had it for a year. Its a great bike for the price. I use it for commuting and physical activity. I've mounted a rack on it and I use it for shopping as well. I've lost some weight riding it (my diet is not so good though.) Its perfect for my environment. The LBS entry level bikes start at $600 and some shops its starts even higher. The leetist mechanic that posted earlier fails to realize that working on Denali is like working on a Honda Accord, or Toyota Corolla, as opposed to working on a BMW or Mercedes that cost more than some people home mortgages. Of course its going to look like crap to a leetist mechanic. I am fortunate because my LBS is very down to earth and get all sorts of bikes. Anything from high end bikes, fixies, beach cruisers and yes Denali's. However they don't drown when it rains, because they are not stuck up leetist's.

Here are those links for your review.
Bikegeekdmtdx has had a Denali for years
https://www.youtube.com/user/bikegeekmtdx/featured

Affordable Road Bike Reviews-This guy has a Denali and has upgraded it for less than what a comparable road bike from a LBS would cost.
Key Upgrades to the Denali Road Bike | affordableroadbikereview

I hope this helps you and I wish you safe and happy trails.
grizzly907la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 04:55 PM   #39
Robert C
Senior Member
 
Robert C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt lake, UT
Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly907la View Post
Stay away from Craigslist. The bikes on Cl in my area are absolute crap, and you will be spending money to get them upgraded. YMMV.
You are going against an accepted orthodoxy here with that statement; but, for watt its worth, I happen to agree.
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 05:34 PM   #40
grizzly907la
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
You are going against an accepted orthodoxy here with that statement; but, for watt its worth, I happen to agree.
I tend to do that. I am a regular Martin Luther in that regard.
grizzly907la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 09:09 PM   #41
turky lurkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 2002 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Univega Rover
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Craigslist is friggin awesome!

Actually I can see both sides of the C.L debate. I think it's great when you are buying something you are reasonably knowledgable about. On the other hand there is a chance of getting a bad deal, especially if you are trying to purchase something you know little about. Ideally someone who knows little about bikes should have a knowledgable friend help them with a used purchase.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 04-13-14 at 09:37 PM.
turky lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:20 PM   #42
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly907la View Post
Tim the Denali is a fine road bike for its price. Stay away from Craigslist. The bikes on Cl in my area are absolute crap, and you will be spending money to get them upgraded. YMMV. You can get a Denali from $159-250. The only thing you will have to change out on it is the brake pads, because they are awful but that's like a $10-20 fix. You will need to assemble part of the bike if you get it get it online-just like any bike you get-unless you buy it at a local bike shop, and that's going to cost you much more than $300. I am not knocking them, and they provide a good service to those that can afford to have their hands held and who can also afford higher end bicycles.

For $300 you can get the Denali, proper brake pads, have it safety checked (everything tightened, and gears adjusted etc,) buy some decent lights, a U-lock, and maybe even a good helmet (Amazon has all of that.) The Denali is the best bike in its price range. The handle were cut in half in order to place the Revo shifters on them. They are NOT glued together with wood glue like some leetist thing, but are in fact securely bolted together. There's a metal shim as well so they can fit on the handlebars. Just make sure that bolt is tight and you will have no problems. The bike is heavier than the more expensive. That only means that you will be burning more fat and getting into fighting form even faster. The Varsity will feel flimsy underneath you.

Of course the Denali isn't going to feel as smooth as a higher end bike but by God it gets the job done. You can even save more money if you learn how to fix the bike yourself. Of course theirs an initial cost for tools etc but that's down the road. The rewards of doing your own work are numerous and you no long have to depend on the LBS and the leets that work there. I will provide with some links for YT videos on the Denali and some links from hard core cyclists who have a love the Denali. You could also upgrade parts of the Denali over time thus defraying some of the cost and be able to fit it into your monthly budget.

I actually have a Denali and have had it for a year. Its a great bike for the price. I use it for commuting and physical activity. I've mounted a rack on it and I use it for shopping as well. I've lost some weight riding it (my diet is not so good though.) Its perfect for my environment. The LBS entry level bikes start at $600 and some shops its starts even higher. The leetist mechanic that posted earlier fails to realize that working on Denali is like working on a Honda Accord, or Toyota Corolla, as opposed to working on a BMW or Mercedes that cost more than some people home mortgages. Of course its going to look like crap to a leetist mechanic. I am fortunate because my LBS is very down to earth and get all sorts of bikes. Anything from high end bikes, fixies, beach cruisers and yes Denali's. However they don't drown when it rains, because they are not stuck up leetist's.

Here are those links for your review.
Bikegeekdmtdx has had a Denali for years
https://www.youtube.com/user/bikegeekmtdx/featured

Affordable Road Bike Reviews-This guy has a Denali and has upgraded it for less than what a comparable road bike from a LBS would cost.
Key Upgrades to the Denali Road Bike | affordableroadbikereview

I hope this helps you and I wish you safe and happy trails.

Thank you for the advice and thank you everyone again for your time in all this!

Unfortunately I was faced with an emergency situation that took my budget down and I had to buy a cheap piece of ****. Without explaining the entire story, I had to buy something tonight and none of the stores I went to had anything in my range, the type I wanted, the handlebar/brake setup and in the end I bought a Schwinn. Maybe someday.
Thank you again and if I get to buy something worthwhile another day, I will.
Thanks and have a great night
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:35 PM   #43
grizzly907la
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your emergency situation. The Schwinn should serve you well. Make sure its safety checked and that everything is proper adjusted/tires inflated etc. Happy trails and be safe.
grizzly907la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 06:10 PM   #44
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I'm back. That Schwinn was horrid. I took it back. So I'm not sure if there is enough time but I have to buy tomorrow.

Recap:

I'm 5'11"
Weight 280

Will be riding 5 miles each way, steep residential hills (they are actually steep, not low grade). I have $500 and I cannot find a Trek for $500 or less that I am comfortable on. This is what I am looking at. I cannot online order and only got the money today, need the bike for Saturday - weird timing.

Are Diamondbacks decent enough?
Hybrid Bikes - Bicycles & Cycling Gear - SportsAuthority.com

That page is in my price range. I have exhausted all other avenues, craigslist, pawn shops and the only bike shops near me. If anyone is on tonight, looky? Thanks!!

Oh - I am a Male, no need for a woman's bike
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 06:48 PM   #45
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
How about the Giant Escape 2? Retails for $410.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 07:41 PM   #46
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
How about the Giant Escape 2? Retails for $410.
Well, it's not on that list I posted, which is my only choice in the time frame I wrote about
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 07:43 PM   #47
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is anothe rlist though still no giant bikes

Hybrid Bikes - Bicycles & Cycling Gear - SportsAuthority.com
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 07:51 PM   #48
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Not a fan of buying bikes at big box stores. Maybe some day when you have the time, you can check out a LBS.
MRT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 09:13 PM   #49
tkbarr1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Longwood, Florida
Bikes: that is what I am here to decide
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Not a fan of buying bikes at big box stores. Maybe some day when you have the time, you can check out a LBS.
Well you've been a big help. Maybe when you can offer something relevant to a person's post, you should respond
tkbarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 01:24 PM   #50
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbarr1 View Post
Well you've been a big help. Maybe when you can offer something relevant to a person's post, you should respond
Dude, there is a saying about to the effect that 'poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part'... get a grip. With $500 you can get one hell of a commute bike anywhere in these United States. If you can't, you don't need it. Are you really that much of a piece of work that you can't find someone who will give you a ride to a real bike store? I'd look at that. How long you survive on whatever bike you buy is determined in large part by your personality. Trek is not the only bicycle company that makes bikes a 280lb guy can ride! A Specialized Sirrus falls into a $500 budget. The right Schwinn would also do so. I wonder just how horrible that Schwinn you bought really was. I'm not willing to give you the benefit of any doubt that it was as bad as all that. Do you even know what a road-worthy bicycle looks and feels like? C'mon guy, get it together and get 'er done.

H
Leisesturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.