Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SRAM hydro update

    SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall

    For those looking forward to commuting on hydro disc brakes on their road bikes, looks like SRAM is sorting out the problems. I'll definitely not be riding outside the temperature parameters. Got to say they are really making a great effort at communicating.

  2. #2
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan s View Post
    SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall

    For those looking forward to commuting on hydro disc brakes on their road bikes, looks like SRAM is sorting out the problems. I'll definitely not be riding outside the temperature parameters. Got to say they are really making a great effort at communicating.
    They are only testing them to -4 F which just isn't cold enough for year round commuting in these parts. Does that mean I'm forever stuck with mechanicals on my winter bike?

    The other thing is that video. I'm not sure if I find it refreshing or disturbing that they didn't put out something a little more polished. Maybe that lack of attention to detail is part of the problem?

    It's just anecdotal I know but I was riding with a friend who had almost brand new SRAM Red shifters on his bike and one just plain broke when he tried to shift. There was no crash. A piece inside just snapped.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  3. #3
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they would definitely only be for your fair weather bike. In MN, that means above 0F, if I'm not mistaken.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Champlin, MN
    My Bikes
    1994 Mongoose Switchback, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP, Cheap unnamed ssfg road bike
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If "above 0F" makes someone a fair-weather commuter, what am I? I've been waiting for 50F!

    Do I need to go shopping for skirts?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol sram...

    IMO just wait for Shimano's to drop, should be any day now.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan s View Post
    Yeah, they would definitely only be for your fair weather bike. In MN, that means above 0F, if I'm not mistaken.
    There were lots of mornings this winter (like 50 or so) where I would have been thankful for even 1 degree above zero.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmilleronaire View Post
    If "above 0F" makes someone a fair-weather commuter, what am I? I've been waiting for 50F!

    Do I need to go shopping for skirts?
    I don't think skirts will keep you any warmer. Anyway, you should be golden tomorrow. 73 will feel pretty good, skirt or not. Even safe for SRAM hydros

    FWIW, I do appreciate their candor about the problem. Knowing that the seals have issues with cold though is a problem. I imagine when new the improved design be fine even below -4, but once they've aged a bit?
    Last edited by tjspiel; 04-08-14 at 11:00 AM.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  7. #7
    Dharma Dog lhbernhardt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Posts
    2,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use the front disc when I switch forks for the winter commuting season, so I've got all summer for SRAM to get its act together, and for Shimano to start selling its R785 lever/caliper combo separately (and without the shifter part, as it will go on a fixie). Looking forward to seeing how much better hydraulic is over mechanical.

    Luis

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the Challenger space shuttle cold O ring problem rises again..

    http://pirate.shu.edu/~mckenndo/pdfs...20Disaster.pdf

  9. #9
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRP has some dual-action mechs that give you more of the advantages of hydros. I've read some good reviews on them,and would choose them over hydros for a drop bar.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  10. #10
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I only use the front disc when I switch forks for the winter commuting season, so I've got all summer for SRAM to get its act together, and for Shimano to start selling its R785 lever/caliper combo separately (and without the shifter part, as it will go on a fixie). Looking forward to seeing how much better hydraulic is over mechanical.

    Luis
    SRAM works with mech shifting, but Shimano is electronic. Can't see ever having electronic shifting on a commuter, but who knows? Like that the rear spacing is 135.

  11. #11
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I only use the front disc when I switch forks for the winter commuting season, so I've got all summer for SRAM to get its act together, and for Shimano to start selling its R785 lever/caliper combo separately (and without the shifter part, as it will go on a fixie). Looking forward to seeing how much better hydraulic is over mechanical.
    Retroshift has announced that they'll be shipping 1x9/10 and 2x9/10 hydraulic systems soon. Of course, if you don't have a disc in the rear you might end up with mismatched levers.

  12. #12
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan s View Post
    SRAM works with mech shifting, but Shimano is electronic. Can't see ever having electronic shifting on a commuter, but who knows? Like that the rear spacing is 135.
    Shimano just announced mechanical shifting hydraulic levers.

  13. #13
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,986
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    TRP has some dual-action mechs that give you more of the advantages of hydros. I've read some good reviews on them,and would choose them over hydros for a drop bar.
    I wouldn't. Hydraulic discs are much superior to cable discs, SRAM's manufacturing problems with their Hydro R system notwithstanding. The major benefit of the TRP hybrids is that they can be used with any normal drop bar brake lever, while lever options for hydraulics are currently much more limited.

  14. #14
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    Shimano just announced mechanical shifting hydraulic levers.
    That's great news. Did they also announce when they'll become affordable?

  15. #15
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,138
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    The major benefit of the TRP hybrids is that they can be used with any normal drop bar brake lever, while lever options for hydraulics are currently much more limited.
    And that's why I said what I did. When they get things figured out,I'd totally rock hydros on a drop bar bike. But right now,I'll take the mechs.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    My Bikes
    Soma Double Cross Disc (Commuter/everyday), Fuji Sportif 1.1 (Racy/fun bike), Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc (beater).
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    And that's why I said what I did. When they get things figured out,I'd totally rock hydros on a drop bar bike. But right now,I'll take the mechs.
    The BB7s's on my Fuji Sportif 1.1 with Jagwire Ripcord compressionless housings don't feel any different to me than hydraulics, and I prefer the ease of maintenance I get with mechanicals.

    Eventually I'll upgrade the calipers on my Soma Double Cross Disc to the TRP mechanicals (if I win the lottery).

  17. #17
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the TRP Hydro with the master cylinder in the body of the lever seems to have been working , read of no recalls .

    the shifter mech is displaced by the hydraulic mech. so shifting is done elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Senior Member retroshift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    the TRP Hydro with the master cylinder in the body of the lever seems to have been working , read of no recalls .

    the shifter mech is displaced by the hydraulic mech. so shifting is done elsewhere.
    TRP system is SUPER clever. They have a patent pending for the implementation of a stand alone master cylinder inside the brake lever body. What this does is allow you an easy and inexpensive replacement of the brake lever and or body if you should crash one. You simply pull master cylinder out of broken parts (its inside so well protected) and then replace broken parts.

    Due to this we will be offering our crash replacement service on this new hydraulic shifting system. Not sure on pricing yet but might be as little as $50-$75 to get a complete rebuild for a front or rear units should it get run over by a herd of elephants.

    Goats

  19. #19
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a patent pending for the implementation of a stand alone master cylinder inside the brake lever body.
    Guess Magura's patent lapsed .. Or the TRP has the, disc common, fluid expansion chamber made small enough.. to fit.

    The M previous design was a closed system

    the massively popular HS33, is Still in production.. I think the HS77 was a road hydraulic rim brake

    just now, their reintroduced set , goes pure aero bar . for the TRI bike market I suppose ..

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,236
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
    Lol sram...

    IMO just wait for Shimano's to drop, should be any day now.
    Shimano's road hydros dropped last year. They are the best road hydraulics available but they still suck.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,236
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdthiem View Post
    The BB7s's on my Fuji Sportif 1.1 with Jagwire Ripcord compressionless housings don't feel any different to me than hydraulics, and I prefer the ease of maintenance I get with mechanicals.
    Errrrrm...how much experience do have with maintenance of decent hydros? I switched to hydraulics, in part, because mechanicals are so fussy and expensive to maintain.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

  22. #22
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    7,003
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    Shimano's road hydros dropped last year. They are the best road hydraulics available but they still suck.
    In what way?

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    Errrrrm...how much experience do have with maintenance of decent hydros? I switched to hydraulics, in part, because mechanicals are so fussy and expensive to maintain.
    Curious about this statement. I have 0 experience with hydros, so am pretty clueless, but I thought it was a pain in the butt if/when you overhauled them, especially when it comes to bleeding them. Perhaps this depends on the design/maker? BB7's do take a bit of care to keep adjusted in abrasive conditions, but I would not describe them as fussy or expensive; I replace the pads when they wear low ($15/set, roughly yearly), and occasionally adjust the pads so that they are close to the rotor. I spend perhaps 5 minutes per month on my daily commuter's brakes, and I ride year-round.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,236
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    In what way?
    The pistons are probably not the issue since they are basically re-badged xt 785s but the lever action is far too all or nothing. I got very little engagement until I really pressed down on the levers. Moreover, for me the ergonomics of the r785s were terrible (especially from the hoods). Given that I have 6700 ultegra levers on my road bike and love the ergonomics this was particularly disappointing.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,236
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Curious about this statement. I have 0 experience with hydros, so am pretty clueless, but I thought it was a pain in the butt if/when you overhauled them, especially when it comes to bleeding them. Perhaps this depends on the design/maker? BB7's do take a bit of care to keep adjusted in abrasive conditions, but I would not describe them as fussy or expensive; I replace the pads when they wear low ($15/set, roughly yearly), and occasionally adjust the pads so that they are close to the rotor. I spend perhaps 5 minutes per month on my daily commuter's brakes, and I ride year-round.
    I ride significant elevation gain in terrible gritty wet conditions and had to fuss with my bb7s at least once a week -- sometime more often. Moreover, pad changes are, IME, more time consuming and annoying (alignment issues) with mechanicals than a decent hydraulic. Mechanicals also require more re-adjustment when you swap wheels (see my handle). I now run XT hydraulics and have 5 wheelsets that I can swap onto my two commuters with no more than a couple lever squeezes worth of adjustment.

    Mid-level or better Shimano are set up and forget for 5-10 years (depending on your paranoia about mineral oil stability). Moreover, since both pistons auto adjust there is, IME, very little problem with scraping/noise. My brakes basically never need adjustment and only rub/squeal when the pads are extremely low. I tend to agree that low end shimano hydraulics are not much better than mechanicals but once you get to SLX ($70-$80 online) or better there really is no comparison, IMO.

    And anther thing: shimano/magura mineral oil is dirt cheap -- compressionless brake cables not so much.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •