Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   What bike is this? Is it a good one? (http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/942751-what-bike-good-one.html)

J.C. Koto 04-12-14 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery_Queen (Post 16665650)
I also just realized its an XS frame. I'm 5'6 grrr maybe I will try it anyway??

Yeah, it's crucial you can achieve proper saddle height without exceeding the specified safety limit of the seat-post. If you can't safely get the saddle high enough for your body proportions the bike won't do you any bit of good.

Hopefully it'll fit you though since it looks like a pretty decent deal.

Motolegs 04-13-14 10:08 AM

Giant makes good bikes. Ride it and get a feel for it. The price isn't unreasonable if it fits you!

wolfchild 04-13-14 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery_Queen (Post 16665445)
Women's Bike, Like New
Worth it? Or not?

It's a nice bike. Giant makes good bikes....However, you need to remember that it's a comfort bike and very upright. It won't be any faster or easier to get up hills then your mountain bike no matter how hard you try... If you want to go faster and ride up hills easier then you will need a bike with a different frame geometry. If you looking for a womens specific bike then an older Mixtie bike that has been well maintained would be a better choice. JMO.

Isaiahc72 04-13-14 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 16667412)
It's a nice bike. Giant makes good bikes....However, you need to remember that it's a comfort bike and very upright. It won't be any faster or easier to get up hills then your mountain bike no matter how hard you try... If you want to go faster and ride up hills easier then you will need a bike with a different frame geometry. If you looking for a womens specific bike then an older Mixtie bike that has been well maintained would be a better choice. JMO.

I disagree with this. The Giant would actually be allot better on hills than what she's riding right now. Her current bike has front suspension which definitely takes more of the rider's energy. It's also very heavy and has thick and knobby tires. All of which make it more difficult.

If you look at the Giant, it has rigid forks, and thinner tires. And I highly doubt it's any heavier than the bike she has now.

I live in a very hilly area. I used to ride a Walmart mountain bike. As soon as I switched to an old Trek 800 mountain bike, I felt a huge difference immediately. The Trek flew up hills compared to the Walmart bike.

cooker 04-13-14 07:09 PM

I think the Giant will be a little easier on the hills as it will likely be lighter - but not especially fast on flat sections due to the upright position. The Schwinn shown earlier probably offers a better balance of speed and weight, but might need more costly repairs, and involves getting used to a slightly more aggressive riding posture.


The Giant also has triple front chain rings, and the smallest ring (a "granny gear") gives you some really low gears to make hills easier.

Archery_Queen 04-13-14 07:53 PM

Okay I did not like the giant bike. Too upright and too small... But I found this one, 2009 GT Transeo 5.0 Hybrid is this one I good deal? I know I keep asking a lot of questions but I don't want to waste my money since I don't really have much

J.C. Koto 04-13-14 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery_Queen (Post 16668121)
Okay I did not like the giant bike. Too upright and too small... But I found this one, 2009 GT Transeo 5.0 Hybrid is this one I good deal? I know I keep asking a lot of questions but I don't want to waste my money since I don't really have much

That photographer should get a job with National Geographic :rolleyes:

Assuming it's in good roadworthy condition -- that is, it fits you and everything works -- it looks like a fair deal. At any rate it's worth checking out in person.

Isaiahc72 04-13-14 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery_Queen (Post 16668121)
Okay I did not like the giant bike. Too upright and too small... But I found this one, 2009 GT Transeo 5.0 Hybrid is this one I good deal? I know I keep asking a lot of questions but I don't want to waste my money since I don't really have much

GT is a pretty good manufacture. So Yes. It should be a pretty good bike. However, I recommend you try it out. Pay close attention to things like weight and shifting.

Don't be ashamed of asking allot of questions. That's how you learn things.

cooker 04-13-14 08:46 PM

The GT looks like it would be reasonably light and fast. Again, it has a triple front chain ring set, so good gearing for hills.

In the first photo, presumably taken from a brochure or online ad, the seat is at the same height as the handlebars, which is a subtle hint from the manufacturer that you don't sit bolt upright on this bike, but leaning a bit forward, and so the bike is intended for brisker riding than an upright bike, but not for racing. If it was for racing the handlebars would be lower than the seat.

It might be a bit big for the current owner, as they have the seat set very low, so if you are bit taller than they are, or at least have longer legs, that would probably be good.

I think I can faintly make out two eyelets on the rear drops, just above the rear axle, indicating you can mount fenders and a rack.

Archery_Queen 04-13-14 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooker (Post 16668281)
Looks like it would be reasonably light and fast. Again, it has a triple front chain ring set, so good gearing for hills.

In the first photo, presumably taken from a brochure or online ad, the seat is at the same height as the handlebars, which is a subtle hint from the manufacturer that you don't sit bolt upright on this bike, but leaning a bit forward, and so the bike is intended for brisker riding than an upright bike, but not for racing. If it was for racing the handlebars would be lower than the seat.

It might be a bit big for the current owner, as they have the seat set very low, so if you are bit taller than they are, or at least have longer legs, that would probably be good.

I think I can faintly make out two eyelets on the rear drops, just above the rear axle, indicating you can mount fenders and a rack.

Then if this fits me, this is exactly the bike I need. Gosh I hope so, because I seem to have the worst luck on finding the perfect bike.

cooker 04-13-14 09:00 PM

good luck!

I-Like-To-Bike 04-13-14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery_Queen (Post 16668301)
Then if this fits me, this is exactly the bike I need. Gosh I hope so, because I seem to have the worst luck on finding the perfect bike.

You will never have good luck finding "the perfect bike" if you ask/look for a BF consensus on YOUR decision on what bike fits YOUR exact needs. Or you let YOUR needs be determined by what a BF consensus tells you is the best or perfect bike for total strangers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.