Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    schwinn crossfit!?

    So at the local used bike shop there is a women's sSchwinn cross fit. I really like it and the guy is willing to trade with me my bike and 20 bucks for this bike. It's lighter has 700 wheels and is exactly whatiIneed . The only down side is its more of an upright seating position. Is this bad? The guy said that upright will be comes comfortable for me since Iuse the bike to commute . Opinions? Oh and a big plus is it's pURPLE

  2. #2
    Senior Member FedericoMena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
    My Bikes
    LBS-built bike
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    So at the local used bike shop there is a women's sSchwinn cross fit. I really like it and the guy is willing to trade with me my bike and 20 bucks for this bike. It's lighter has 700 wheels and is exactly whatiIneed . The only down side is its more of an upright seating position. Is this bad? The guy said that upright will be comes comfortable for me since Iuse the bike to commute . Opinions? Oh and a big plus is it's pURPLE
    It will probably be fine. When you are trying to squeeze between cars, upright is the way to go. You can change the handlebar or whatever if you later change your mind. Trade plus 20 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal to me

  3. #3
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,113
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  4. #4
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the guy is really likes me so they let me take you home to test drive for 2 or 3 days. I'm attaching a picture I want opinions on the seat position and is it too much of a up right

    Instagram

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ozonation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you're using the bike for. More upright is usually more agile for commuting and moving in and out of traffic like another poster mentioned. If you want to go fast for a really long distance then no, this bike probably isn't the best... but it sounds like this isn't what you want to use the bike for. And you can probably change the seat and handle bars at some point in the future and that will reduce your upright position a bit.
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne and Hunqapillar; Brompton M6R Sage Green; Salsa Mukluk 3 FAT Bike; Nerdy Academic; Nikonian; Wing Chun; and a Patridge in a Pear Tree.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,766
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago a neighbor gave one to me. He knows I like to work on bikes and a friend of his wanted to get rid of it. Somebody had taken apart one of the twist shifters in an attempt to change the cable or something and failed.

    It's a decent bike but no one in the family really wanted it so after a year I sold it. It's a bike for getting around, - not going fast. To me that's really the downside to an upright position. It also may not be the most comfortable bike to ride a 100 miles on but I'm sure plenty of people have on similar bikes.

    If you're happy with it after 2 day test period then I'd go for it. Ride it for a year or two and then you'll have a better idea of what you want in your next bike. Or you may decide the Cross fit is just fine.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  7. #7
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,774
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    If you're happy with it after 2 day test period then I'd go for it. Ride it for a year or two and then you'll have a better idea of what you want in your next bike. Or you may decide the Cross fit is just fine.
    This. There is no thing as too upright. There is just too upright for you and only you can answer that.

    The bike that's right for you now and in a couple years from now may or may not be the same bike. If you like this one grab it.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Fearless Isaiahc72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.1 FX, '95 Giant Attraction
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    So at the local used bike shop there is a women's sSchwinn cross fit. I really like it and the guy is willing to trade with me my bike and 20 bucks for this bike. It's lighter has 700 wheels and is exactly whatiIneed . The only down side is its more of an upright seating position. Is this bad? The guy said that upright will be comes comfortable for me since Iuse the bike to commute . Opinions? Oh and a big plus is it's pURPLE
    Sounds like a good deal. Ride it a little and see how you like it. If you like it, then take the deal. I ride an upright bike on my commute all the time. The key to flat-bar bikes on longer commutes is to have bar-ends that can allow you to have some extra hand positions.

    Here's how I have my bar-ends set up. It was fine for me riding a century with.1461268_257629451054368_2036383314_n.jpg1454984_257629431054370_1438341373_n.jpg
    IC

  9. #9
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahc72 View Post
    Sounds like a good deal. Ride it a little and see how you like it. If you like it, then take the deal. I ride an upright bike on my commute all the time. The key to flat-bar bikes on longer commutes is to have bar-ends that can allow you to have some extra hand positions.

    Here's how I have my bar-ends set up. It was fine for me riding a century with.1461268_257629451054368_2036383314_n.jpg1454984_257629431054370_1438341373_n.jpg
    Omg where did you buy these from. This would be PERFECT FOR ME

  10. #10
    Fearless Isaiahc72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.1 FX, '95 Giant Attraction
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    Omg where did you buy these from. This would be PERFECT FOR ME
    I bought mine at my local bike shop. You should be able to find some at a shop near you. But if not, here's some similar ones I found: Amazon.com : RavX Lite X Long Black Bar Ends : Bike Handlebars : Sports & Outdoors
    IC

  11. #11
    happy bike wishes Turtle Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very familiar with that bike - my dad owns the men's model in a different year. It weighs about 33-34 pounds, and it's no slowpoke - I've timed myself on my commutes with it, and it was surprisingly close to my fastest ever. Plus I felt it was comfortable to boot.

    The quality of parts are OK. I wasn't crazy about the rear derailer claw, but I was able to tune it so all the shifting worked perfectly with the thumb shifters on my dad's version. (I guess some versions have twist shifters?) The wheel hubs were a lower quality assembly (retainer rings with fewer ball bearings) but spun great once I overhauled them. The most important thing is that it's not heavy as a tank, and it will have strong braking if set up properly. Overall the assembly and adjustment had major room for improvement, but it's all fixable. Even if you don't touch anything, I doubt it's set up worse than your Huffy.

    If the bike is in good condition, and you enjoy riding it, then I would not think twice about a $20 trade-in. I suspect he's giving you an unusually good discount because he likes you, and if it were me, I'd jump on the offer. It is a major step up from your current ride, and even if you don't stick with it, it has value as a backup bike or a loaner bike to a friend. If nothing else, it has more resale value than your Huffy.

    The front wheel (only) is a quick release, so if you haven't worked with those before, I suggest you ask the bike shop guy how to attach and detach the wheel properly - the quick release doesn't work like a wingnut. While you're at it, ask him to show you how to quick-release and reconnect the brakes (center-pull cantilevers) in case you get a flat tire. The quick release front wheel is easily stolen if you live in an area with any crime at all, so lock it and/or add deterrant with a $1 hose clamp from the hardware store. (Clamp the quick release lever to the fork so a potential thief at least needs a screwdriver and some time. If you don't want the hose clamp to scratch the paint, wrap some electrical tape underneath the fork where the clamp will be attaching.)

    The bike's innertubes uses Presta valves, so make sure you know how to use those and have a way to top off the air in the tires. (If you don't have a Presta-compatible pump, there is a converter for the usual car-style valve and Presta valves that the bike shop can sell you for a buck or two.)

  12. #12
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Speed View Post
    I'm very familiar with that bike - my dad owns the men's model in a different year. It weighs about 33-34 pounds, and it's no slowpoke - I've timed myself on my commutes with it, and it was surprisingly close to my fastest ever. Plus I felt it was comfortable to boot.

    The quality of parts are OK. I wasn't crazy about the rear derailer claw, but I was able to tune it so all the shifting worked perfectly with the thumb shifters on my dad's version. (I guess some versions have twist shifters?) The wheel hubs were a lower quality assembly (retainer rings with fewer ball bearings) but spun great once I overhauled them. The most important thing is that it's not heavy as a tank, and it will have strong braking if set up properly. Overall the assembly and adjustment had major room for improvement, but it's all fixable. Even if you don't touch anything, I doubt it's set up worse than your Huffy.

    If the bike is in good condition, and you enjoy riding it, then I would not think twice about a $20 trade-in. I suspect he's giving you an unusually good discount because he likes you, and if it were me, I'd jump on the offer. It is a major step up from your current ride, and even if you don't stick with it, it has value as a backup bike or a loaner bike to a friend. If nothing else, it has more resale value than your Huffy.

    The front wheel (only) is a quick release, so if you haven't worked with those before, I suggest you ask the bike shop guy how to attach and detach the wheel properly - the quick release doesn't work like a wingnut. While you're at it, ask him to show you how to quick-release and reconnect the brakes (center-pull cantilevers) in case you get a flat tire. The quick release front wheel is easily stolen if you live in an area with any crime at all, so lock it and/or add deterrant with a $1 hose clamp from the hardware store. (Clamp the quick release lever to the fork so a potential thief at least needs a screwdriver and some time. If you don't want the hose clamp to scratch the paint, wrap some electrical tape underneath the fork where the clamp will be attaching.)

    The bike's innertubes uses Presta valves, so make sure you know how to use those and have a way to top off the air in the tires. (If you don't have a Presta-compatible pump, there is a converter for the usual car-style valve and Presta valves that the bike shop can sell you for a buck or two.)

    wow thank you so much this is very informative. I think the Previous owner took off the quick release. I do not see it on there. I will keep everything you mentioned in mind. Thank you

  13. #13
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,662
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    the guy is really likes me so they let me take you home to test drive for 2 or 3 days. I'm attaching a picture I want opinions on the seat position and is it too much of a up right

    Instagram
    Maybe it's just the angle,but from that photo the fork looks like it might be slightly bent. Like it's been pushed back toward the frame. Can we see a better pic?

    Edit: def doesn't look right compared to the other photo. Does it ride ok?
    Image2.jpg Image1.jpg
    Last edited by dynaryder; 04-15-14 at 05:14 PM.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  14. #14
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,766
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Maybe it's just the angle,but from that photo the fork looks like it might be slightly bent. Like it's been pushed back toward the frame. Can we see a better pic?

    Edit: def doesn't look right compared to the other photo. Does it ride ok?
    Image2.jpg Image1.jpg
    Could be. But it might be just because in the first picture the handle bars are turned towards the right and the camera is not pointed straight at the side of the bike but angled toward the front.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  15. #15
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    Could be. But it might be just because in the first picture the handle bars are turned towards the right and the camera is not pointed straight at the side of the bike but angled toward the front.
    Or a smaller frame?

    I'm in agreement with the buy it if you like it and it fits suggestions. That will give you time to start with the really important questions like should I wear a helmet while lubing my chain with hot wax while riding against the flow of traffic in the dark while wearing dark clothing.

  16. #16
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,422
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the instagram picture, I'm wondering if the front fork is bent back but it might just be the camera angle or the turn of the wheel. Can you take a picture with the front wheel straight? The upper part of the fork, before it curves, should be in line with the steering tube.

    oops - already covered

    Otherwise it looks like a good bike.

  17. #17
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,422
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From her picture it looks like it has a Schrader valve.

  18. #18
    aka Phil Jungels Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Posts
    5,449
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bike are you trading?

    "Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009


    Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

  19. #19
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Maybe it's just the angle,but from that photo the fork looks like it might be slightly bent. Like it's been pushed back toward the frame. Can we see a better pic?

    Edit: def doesn't look right compared to the other photo. Does it ride ok?
    Image2.jpg Image1.jpg
    i honestly don't see a difference lol. They both look the same to me.


    edit oh I see now here's another picture...

    http://instagram.com/p/m1Nsu8AKVb/

    would this possibly be from someone putting the fork in crocked?
    Last edited by Archery_Queen; 04-15-14 at 07:00 PM.

  20. #20
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    What bike are you trading?

    roadmaster granite peak

  21. #21
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,040
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should roll well, add racks and mudguards and the practicality increases,,

    added bonus if the recycle shop included a re greasing and inspection of the bearings .

  22. #22
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fork is bent. Looks like somebody rode it into a wall.

  23. #23
    It's Queen to you! Archery_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Roadmaster
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
    The fork is bent. Looks like somebody rode it into a wall.
    Is it ridable

  24. #24
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery_Queen View Post
    Is it ridable
    I wouldn't ride a bike with a bent fork. The bike wouldn't handle very well. Fork needs to be replaced.

  25. #25
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bent fork also changes the position of the front wheel. In this case there may be danger of toe overlap, front wheel hitting your foot while you are turning. You can test ride it and see how it feels, but I still think it's a bad idea to purchase a bike with a bent fork.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •