Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-14, 12:17 PM   #26
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Conti 4 Seasons 28mm measure 26mm on Open Pro rims.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 07:46 AM   #27
Pliny the Elder
Senior Member
 
Pliny the Elder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: Wabi Classic
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about switching from 23c to 25c does it make that much of a noticeable difference?
Pliny the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 07:56 AM   #28
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny the Elder View Post
I'm thinking about switching from 23c to 25c does it make that much of a noticeable difference?
I think it depends on the tire, as you have noticed some tires measure differently. With that said, 25s will make some difference because you can run a bit less pressure. I currently commute on 23s but will be switching to 25s when the time comes.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:01 AM   #29
leicanthrope
Senior Member
 
leicanthrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL • 1975 Fuji Professional • 1982 Fuji Team
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got about 4k miles out of a set of Continental GP 4000s. Still had a fair amount of rubber left on them, but the sidewalls were going. Minimal flats, and handled nicely in the rain. Replaced them with a set of Gatorskins, and so far so good. Haven't had enough experience in the rain to pass judgement on them in that regard, but I'm generally pleased. Went from 23mm to 25mm with the Gatorskins, and it is a bit more cushioned, but I haven't noticed any performance decrease with the switch.

Briefly ran a set of Continental Touring Plus in 28. Very comfortable, but heavy and slow. (Ran nice on fire roads though.) Worst luck of any tires as far as flats go with those though.
leicanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:10 AM   #30
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicanthrope View Post
I got about 4k miles out of a set of Continental GP 4000s. Still had a fair amount of rubber left on them, but the sidewalls were going. Minimal flats, and handled nicely in the rain. Replaced them with a set of Gatorskins, and so far so good. Haven't had enough experience in the rain to pass judgement on them in that regard, but I'm generally pleased. Went from 23mm to 25mm with the Gatorskins, and it is a bit more cushioned, but I haven't noticed any performance decrease with the switch.

Briefly ran a set of Continental Touring Plus in 28. Very comfortable, but heavy and slow. (Ran nice on fire roads though.) Worst luck of any tires as far as flats go with those though.
I commute on gatorskins and they won't grip as well in the wet as the 4000s but mine have lasted for what seems like forever so I assume the rubber is harder.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:22 AM   #31
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicanthrope View Post
I got about 4k miles out of a set of Continental GP 4000s. Still had a fair amount of rubber left on them, but the sidewalls were going. Minimal flats, and handled nicely in the rain. Replaced them with a set of Gatorskins, and so far so good. Haven't had enough experience in the rain to pass judgement on them in that regard, but I'm generally pleased. Went from 23mm to 25mm with the Gatorskins, and it is a bit more cushioned, but I haven't noticed any performance decrease with the switch.

Briefly ran a set of Continental Touring Plus in 28. Very comfortable, but heavy and slow. (Ran nice on fire roads though.) Worst luck of any tires as far as flats go with those though.
I found the Gatorskins to be rubbish in the rain, and switched to 4 Seasons and have been extremely pleased with them. Just put on my fourth set today.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:54 AM   #32
enantiodroma
Seen Your Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've rode nothing but conti 4000 25's for about 10yrs, love 'em (except for big apples on my stokemonkey). never had a flat that wasn't due to low-pressure/pinch flat.

but for my new commuter i want cushy and i've got a pair of marathon supreme 42's (haven't built up the bike/rode them yet).
enantiodroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 12:39 PM   #33
vasuvius
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Workswell WCB-R-066 Ultegra 6800, LOOK 675 Light Ultegra Di2
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the 25mm tire measures the same as a 23mm tire@23mm, can I still run a little lower pressure? Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm trying it though.
I used to run 100psi on the 4000s 23mm tires
Trying 95 psi on the GP 4 seasons. Feels a little softer but the tire is still new. Might go further down to 90psi

I only weigh 146 lbs and my backpack is under 5 lbs, so, I don't think I need to pump up the tires more.
Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I think it depends on the tire, as you have noticed some tires measure differently. With that said, 25s will make some difference because you can run a bit less pressure. I currently commute on 23s but will be switching to 25s when the time comes.
vasuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 12:59 PM   #34
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasuvius View Post
If the 25mm tire measures the same as a 23mm tire@23mm, can I still run a little lower pressure? Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm trying it though.
I used to run 100psi on the 4000s 23mm tires
Trying 95 psi on the GP 4 seasons. Feels a little softer but the tire is still new. Might go further down to 90psi

I only weigh 146 lbs and my backpack is under 5 lbs, so, I don't think I need to pump up the tires more.
Only time will tell.
I don't set pressure according to the size printed on the tire, I measure width with a caliper and set pressure accordingly. A true 25 can be run at a lower pressure than a tire that measures 23mm.
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 04:39 PM   #35
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I think it depends on the tire, as you have noticed some tires measure differently.
Not only this,but the rim width will also make a difference. My '05 BBU has 15mm rims and came stock with 23mm Hutchinson Flashes. My '09 BBU has 24mm rims and 28mm Vittoria Randos. I swapped the 23's for 25mm Specialized All Conditions,and thought they looked kind of big afterward. Checked with my caliper,and the 25's actually measure about 27mm,while the 28's on the other bike actually measure about 26mm.

So I'm riding a bike with 25's that are almost 28's,and a bike with 28's that are almost 25's.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.