Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    OK, time to get a gopro!

    Some road rager in a pick up decided to intentionally cross over into my lane and come about six inches from me on my morning commute. I commute every day and unfortunately this happens at least once a week over my past 2 years of commuting.
    I think it's time to get a gopro or equivalent to mount on my helmet to get evidence and licence plate numbers.

    Anyone have suggestions that won't set me back too much?
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,126
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get 4 ... 1 each .. front rear right and left.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If it aint broke...

    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Some road rager in a pick up decided to intentionally cross over into my lane and come about six inches from me on my morning commute. I commute every day and unfortunately this happens at least once a week over my past 2 years of commuting.
    I think it's time to get a gopro or equivalent to mount on my helmet to get evidence and licence plate numbers.

    Anyone have suggestions that won't set me back too much?
    Just saying... IF you were correct in your o.p. ... you wouldn't be here to start on this particular lunatic fringe talking point yet again...hmmm... at least once a week for the last two years... at least 104 separate incidents of hazing on the road... NOW you decide to do something about it? Procrastinate much? Here's a suggestion that wont set you back at all. Do nothing different. It clearly appears to be working.

    H

  4. #4
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,510
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're right. a GoPro will prevent this type of behavior.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't prevent but it will get plate numbers for the police. Sorry if I can't stop pedaling in the middle of the road in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and jot down plate numbers. I assume some of you live in the boonies where you pass one car on your way to work every day. I pass hundreds every morning 5 days a week. Many unlicensed, uninsured, illegals who never learned to drive. Many members of Latino Street gangs who have probably killed people already and would have no problem with their conscious if they ran a guy on a bike off the road who is in their way
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  6. #6
    Senior Member blakcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S3L, Masi Adventure Bike (Gravel Grinder)
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Just saying... IF you were correct in your o.p. ... you wouldn't be here to start on this particular lunatic fringe talking point yet again...hmmm... at least once a week for the last two years... at least 104 separate incidents of hazing on the road... NOW you decide to do something about it? Procrastinate much? Here's a suggestion that wont set you back at all. Do nothing different. It clearly appears to be working.

    H
    That's right, blame the victim in all this. He doesn't get a GoPro fast enough it must be his fault. Plus "it isn't working for him", where did you get that from? Asinine advice at best. The beauty is I can't wait for your response to mine, but rest assured I will not respond to yours after this.

    To the OP, get a GoPro or similar it won't hurt now will it? Video evidence never hurts when you have it.

  7. #7
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,510
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Won't prevent but it will get plate numbers for the police. Sorry if I can't stop pedaling in the middle of the road in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and jot down plate numbers. I assume some of you live in the boonies where you pass one car on your way to work every day. I pass hundreds every morning 5 days a week. Many unlicensed, uninsured, illegals who never learned to drive. Many members of Latino Street gangs who have probably killed people already and would have no problem with their conscious if they ran a guy on a bike off the road who is in their way
    yup, sounds like the LAPD will issue them citations

    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,126
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind the Camera Get one of these M1 Abrams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia..

    I think if you run with the barrel facing Muzzle back the message will be clear.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Won't prevent but it will get plate numbers for the police. Sorry if I can't stop pedaling in the middle of the road in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and jot down plate numbers. I assume some of you live in the boonies where you pass one car on your way to work every day. I pass hundreds every morning 5 days a week. Many unlicensed, uninsured, illegals who never learned to drive. Many members of Latino Street gangs who have probably killed people already and would have no problem with their conscious if they ran a guy on a bike off the road who is in their way
    Oh boy... its worse than I thought... you should stop now, before this gets locked. Hmmm... it probably should be locked. So sad... yet another helmet camera advocate revealed to be ... disturbed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera won't really do you any good because the police won't issue / mail the driver a citation...

    I guess the camera would come in handy in case of an actual accident, you know to show fault..

    My .02

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Never mind the Camera Get one of these M1 Abrams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia..

    I think if you run with the barrel facing Muzzle back the message will be clear.
    Got a 1911, M&P 40, Springfield XD, Mini 14, S&W 686 and a can of bear mace but I've spent so much time and money shaving grams off my bike that I don't want to carry the extra weight
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    The camera won't really do you any good because the police won't issue / mail the driver a citation...

    I guess the camera would come in handy in case of an actual accident, you know to show fault..

    My .02
    wife used to work for LAPD so I know people
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  13. #13
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    wife used to work for LAPD so I know people
    Ok.... Still won't work.. I am not about to get into an argument but the police can't and won't issue a citation based on your camera shot..

    Good luck!

    I am outta this thread now

    Maybe this needs to be moved to A&S???

  14. #14
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,812
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have money to burn, I'd suggest "equivalent" rather than "GoPro". I had a GoPro at one time. I found them to not be any better than other, less expensive cameras, and they're very clumsy to mount. I am using an SVC200 and I'm happy with it.

    Techmoan - Techmoan - SVC200 is the best Ģ100 action camera I've found (So*far).

    The Mobius is good too for an even lower budget, but I'd probably consider the SVC200 as the base model.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Allant
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least once a week? Maybe you should reevaluate your riding style. I'm passed by at least a hundred cars each day for 2.5 years and have never had such an incident.

  16. #16
    Senior Member alan s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MD/DC/VA
    Posts
    3,137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Anyone have suggestions that won't set me back too much?
    Get on the sidewalk.

  17. #17
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rms13, you should listen to the know-it-alls in this thread. Video of motorist harassing cyclist never leads to the police investigating, arresting or charging the motorist. Just take this video for instance, you would think such an asshat would get charged on the video alone:



    Insane Driver who obviously doesn't like people on bikes - YouTube

    OH, wait a minute, maybe the know-it-alls in this thread do not know jack:

    Colorado driver in cyclist harassment viral video pleads not guilty (+ video) | road.cc

    Maybe it is just the cops raqball worked with that just sit on their ass and will not do anything.
    Last edited by CB HI; 05-07-14 at 11:02 PM.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,365
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Won't prevent but it will get plate numbers for the police. Sorry if I can't stop pedaling in the middle of the road in Los Angeles rush hour traffic and jot down plate numbers. I assume some of you live in the boonies where you pass one car on your way to work every day. I pass hundreds every morning 5 days a week. Many unlicensed, uninsured, illegals who never learned to drive. Many members of Latino Street gangs who have probably killed people already and would have no problem with their conscious if they ran a guy on a bike off the road who is in their way
    you are right.

    don't let the second guessers and overly critical on this forum get to you...

  19. #19
    Senior Member bhchdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hampton Roads VA
    My Bikes
    '07 Trek 520, '10 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '92 Trek Multitrack 700
    Posts
    1,597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    rms13, you should listen to the know-it-alls in this thread. Video of motorist harassing cyclist never leads to the police investigating, arresting or charging the motorist. Just take this video for instance, you would think such an asshat would get charged on the video alone:

    Insane Driver who obviously doesn't like people on bikes - YouTube

    OH, wait a minute, maybe the know-it-alls in this thread do not know jack:

    Colorado driver in cyclist harassment viral video pleads not guilty (+ video) | road.cc

    Maybe it is just the cops raqball worked with that just sit on their ass and will not do anything.
    Does anyone know the final out come of this case ?

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the police would take the "close calls" too seriously unless the drivers actually hit you. Sad but that's probably the reality. With that said, there's nothing better than a GoPro to capture the footage if it's happening that frequently to you.

    If you want to read up more about the GoPro and which one you should get, look around on a GoPro forum like GoProFanatics.com. You might even find a used one. The least expensive new option is the Hero3+ White which is $199 and it still shoots in 1080p.

    Ideally, you will capture some cool footage of close calls and not get hit. Stay safe out there!

  21. #21
    Senior Member eastbay71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    the bikes own me
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Just saying... IF you were correct in your o.p. ... you wouldn't be here to start on this particular lunatic fringe talking point yet again...hmmm... at least once a week for the last two years... at least 104 separate incidents of hazing on the road... NOW you decide to do something about it? Procrastinate much? Here's a suggestion that wont set you back at all. Do nothing different. It clearly appears to be working.

    H
    What's with the anger? Perhaps the OP was exaggerating about the number of times this has happened but really your vitriolic response is over the top. Did a helmet cam kill your mom or something?

    Go for it! get a GoPro. I've had two they were both very nice and can be used for more than just your commute. I've used mine while snorkeling in Hawaii, snowboarding in Tahoe, Racing in my Miata, to take time lapse footage and to catch people stealing stuff at work.
    In Sheldon We Trust '14 AC Mr Pink project '09 Motobecane Jubilee Dirt Drop '95 Schwinn [nine 5] Dirt Drop '87 Miyata 912 '72 Nishiki International

  22. #22
    Senior Member eastbay71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    the bikes own me
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    The camera won't really do you any good because the police won't issue / mail the driver a citation...

    I guess the camera would come in handy in case of an actual accident, you know to show fault..

    My .02
    Cops can only act if they're allowed to violate your rights first
    In Sheldon We Trust '14 AC Mr Pink project '09 Motobecane Jubilee Dirt Drop '95 Schwinn [nine 5] Dirt Drop '87 Miyata 912 '72 Nishiki International

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure the camera can be good in a few ways. The most obvious is if the worst case scenario happens, there will be an investigation. In a society that puts blame on law avoiding cyclists quite often, having some extra truth on your side can't hurt. It can turn a long, fruitless legal battle into something slightly less long and fruitless.

    But I think another big one would be to take note of the license plate, and maybe just report it. No, nothing will happen, but that report goes somewhere. In the future if the psychopath hits another cyclist, that previous report might be enough to get a conviction, or some sleet of help to the victim.
    Last edited by AlTheKiller; 05-08-14 at 01:09 AM.

  24. #24
    Senior Member jfowler85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    Many unlicensed, uninsured, illegals who never learned to drive. Many members of Latino Street gangs who have probably killed people already and would have no problem with their conscious if they ran a guy on a bike off the road who is in their way
    This is quite the assumption. I lived in a top inland socal safe haven community and had friends on the local pd, from whom I've heard plenty of war stories. Just because someone looks latino doesn't mean that person is an immigrant. Discrimination is alive and well, as demonstrated by you.
    Last edited by jfowler85; 05-08-14 at 12:03 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member jfowler85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbay71 View Post
    your vitriolic response is over the top.
    Vernacular award for the day. Gold star.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •