Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 96
  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WestPablo thanks for that insight.
    @Wanderer that's a very good point, especially if it's raining. I'll have to keep that in mind when picking a bike.

  2. #27
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    a cookie cutter chinese frame with suntour chinese suspension fork, suntour chinese suspension post and an 8 speed drive train?

    drat!

    "german" engineering triumphs again.
    wow.

    over your head again.

    show me that configuration from a US bike manufacturer.

    not so bright, eh? perhaps, some meat to fuel that brain?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    lol.

    show me something under €450 - 19% tax (roughly 500 USD without sales tax) that can compete with this out of the box from a US bike company:

    : LC-15 EDITION

    i dare you!

    edit: adjusted the price to 500 USD because the dollar continues to sink, which makes my student loans cheaper by the day ... sink like a stone baby!



    Giant cypress dx and let the lbs install fenders and a rack. Same price, better bike and company. Or preferably a giant escape . No suspension fork and trigger shifters.

  4. #29
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
    Giant cypress dx and let the lbs install fenders and a rack. Same price, better bike and company. Or preferably a giant escape . No suspension fork and trigger shifters.
    lol

    no dynamo and lighting system

    keep on trying guys.

    not a better company ... i find the Giants poorly equipped for the money compared to inexpensive German bikes.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  5. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to go with the Motobecane Elite Adventure for a lot of reasons. It's $200 cheaper than the Diamondback with similar components plus no tax. I have plenty of breathing room to upgrade this bike as I see fit.

    Thanks for all the help everyone.

  6. #31
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laos View Post
    I've decided to go with the Motobecane Elite Adventure for a lot of reasons. It's $200 cheaper than the Diamondback with similar components plus no tax. I have plenty of breathing room to upgrade this bike as I see fit.

    Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Nice bike. Get it assembled properly.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  7. #32
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since i've actually ridden a full suspension bike to get from A to B, i can tell you i miss that front fork, and sometimes the rear suspension as well. I do not miss the way the suspension ate up pedaling effort and added weight. On the bike i had after those two (same model x2) was a fully rigid frame. It was a 21 speed vs a 15 speed. I could go faster, but ouch some of those bumps were brutal at speed. Then with my cruiser i had the suspension seat & big cushy tires, so some of the harder bumps had their edge taken off, but nothing like the front fork. I also had to stick to pavement now & it was a lil slower due to the reduced gear ratios.

    I have what i have now because my needs have evolved, but oh boy do i wish it had a lockout front suspension....

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

  8. #33
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laos View Post
    I've decided to go with the Motobecane Elite Adventure for a lot of reasons. It's $200 cheaper than the Diamondback with similar components plus no tax. I have plenty of breathing room to upgrade this bike as I see fit.

    Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Congrats, Laos!

    Ride it like you stole it!

    PS.

    If you need assembly guidance, here it is:

    How to assemble a bicycle | Road Bike assembly | Mountain bike assembly | bikesdirect.com instruction sheet
    Last edited by WestPablo; 05-10-14 at 07:03 PM.

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    lol.

    show me something under €450 - 19% tax (roughly 500 USD without sales tax) that can compete with this out of the box from a US bike company:

    : LC-15 EDITION
    Honestly? That reminds me a lot of something like a Diamondback Edgewood, which is considerably cheaper than $500 but doesn't have racks and fenders and whatnot. I imagine I could add those quite inexpensively. For sure, it's more convenient to not have to do it, but then again I generally find factory fit racks and whatnot to be lacking at the lower price points - you have to buy a really expensive bike to get racks and baskets that will actually last. Anything I add to my bike is better quality than stock items. Since the components of the LC-15 don't seem all that special, I'd as soon buy a bike for $500 with better mechanical components, and add the extras myself later.

    I would also like to add that the LC-15 and it's cousins seem tailored to a peculiarly German style of riding. Most long distance rides (heck, most rides) aren't on cobblestones or unpaved lanes, they're on relatively intact pavement. Bikes like that aren't popular for touring here because the conditions it's built for don't really exist for most of us.

    Just my opinion.

  10. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
    Since i've actually ridden a full suspension bike to get from A to B, i can tell you i miss that front fork, and sometimes the rear suspension as well. I do not miss the way the suspension ate up pedaling effort and added weight. On the bike i had after those two (same model x2) was a fully rigid frame. It was a 21 speed vs a 15 speed. I could go faster, but ouch some of those bumps were brutal at speed. Then with my cruiser i had the suspension seat & big cushy tires, so some of the harder bumps had their edge taken off, but nothing like the front fork. I also had to stick to pavement now & it was a lil slower due to the reduced gear ratios.

    I have what i have now because my needs have evolved, but oh boy do i wish it had a lockout front suspension....

    - Andy
    I was thinking about that! I had a hybrid performance bike before this one (was stolen actually... Insurance paid out though and here I am) and one thing I wondered was whether the rumbling on poorly paved or snowy streets would have been better with some suspension, even if a front with or without a lock-out. I don't coast a lot but either way I hope this bike serves my needs

    Also @WestPablo thanks for the assembly guide. I will probably wait for a tune-up for the lbs assuming i don't lose my mind assembling it. I have to get it shipped anyway in about 2 weeks so I don't want to go to a shop and have to disassemble it anyway before a tune-up.

  11. #36
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice! Keep us updated!

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

  12. #37
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WDH74 View Post
    Honestly? That reminds me a lot of something like a Diamondback Edgewood, which is considerably cheaper than $500 but doesn't have racks and fenders and whatnot. I imagine I could add those quite inexpensively. For sure, it's more convenient to not have to do it, but then again I generally find factory fit racks and whatnot to be lacking at the lower price points - you have to buy a really expensive bike to get racks and baskets that will actually last. Anything I add to my bike is better quality than stock items. Since the components of the LC-15 don't seem all that special, I'd as soon buy a bike for $500 with better mechanical components, and add the extras myself later.

    I would also like to add that the LC-15 and it's cousins seem tailored to a peculiarly German style of riding. Most long distance rides (heck, most rides) aren't on cobblestones or unpaved lanes, they're on relatively intact pavement. Bikes like that aren't popular for touring here because the conditions it's built for don't really exist for most of us.

    Just my opinion.
    Dynamo ... are you guys not knowing what those are?

    Kickstand and proper lights with standing phases?

    Do people just look at the rear mech and say, XT is better than Deore and call it a done deal?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  13. #38
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Dynamo ... are you guys not knowing what those are?

    Kickstand and proper lights with standing phases?

    Do people just look at the rear mech and say, XT is better than Deore and call it a done deal?
    That's why i was so into the uptown 8 It's a complete package from the factory. All you have to do is get the rack mounted stuff of your choice and you're done spending money unless you want tire liners.

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

  14. #39
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
    That's why i was so into the uptown 8 It's a complete package from the factory. All you have to do is get the rack mounted stuff of your choice and you're done spending money unless you want tire liners.

    - Andy
    I agree. I loved the Uptown 8 but find it super expensive, however, I do understand that the North American market is devoid of such machines.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  15. #40
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    I agree. I loved the Uptown 8 but find it super expensive, however, I do understand that the North American market is devoid of such machines.
    I can say that the uptown range is priced the way it is because they really are car replacement type bikes, built for utility/transport and to last, and built to deliver consistent reliability for a very long time. They also have no real equivalent as far as i've seen, which allows them to set a premium price point, which i feel allows them to keep quality high & development moving forward with each new model. I should also say that in terms of over all quality vs price, you are getting what you pay for. A wallyworld BSO it is NOT, and is probably as far from that end of the spectrum you will find without going carbon.

    I'm not easily impressed, and this particular one i have impressed the damn pants off me.

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

  16. #41
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
    I can say that the uptown range is priced the way it is because they really are car replacement type bikes, built for utility/transport and to last, and built to deliver consistent reliability for a very long time. They also have no real equivalent as far as i've seen, which allows them to set a premium price point, which i feel allows them to keep quality high & development moving forward with each new model. I should also say that in terms of over all quality vs price, you are getting what you pay for. A wallyworld BSO it is NOT, and is probably as far from that end of the spectrum you will find without going carbon.

    I'm not easily impressed, and this particular one i have impressed the damn pants off me.

    - Andy
    My point is that the Uptown isn't super special and I'm surprised that the North American market commands such a price. That's a €500 bike at most over here. If you're willing to sacrifice slightly on frame materials ... it's a €200-300 bike.

    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Dynamo ... are you guys not knowing what those are?

    Kickstand and proper lights with standing phases?
    I'm well aware of what a dynamo light system is, and I imagine that most members here are as well. They're not very popular here, and are seen by some as being rather old fashioned-after all old 1950's kids bikes had those! I also note that lights are a requirement in Germany, which is not the case here. So naturally most inexpensive bikes won't have them.


    Your argument still boils down to a market preference for a bike with racks and fenders, for riding conditions that are not common here.
    Last edited by WDH74; 05-11-14 at 09:01 AM.

  18. #43
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WDH74 View Post
    Your argument still boils down to a market preference for a bike with racks and fenders, for riding conditions that are not common here.
    Once again, the argument is missed. *sigh* Once you guys build some infrastructure the conditions will be similar. For example, see Bogota (which is stunning by the way) here:



    note for video: I am going to naïvely assume that most BF readers can handle English and Spanish (rather than Russian, Dutch, Scandiland..., German, etc...)

    which is light years ahead of most North American cities. Essentially, you can hold out with statements such as yours, but you will be assimilated with dynamos just like most other emerging technologies that have usurped American culture. I'm just pointing out the inevitable, which usually makes most people uncomfortable, so it's OK to reply in the manner that you did. It's quite challenging to be forward thinking when you're buried in an anti-intellectual society.

    also, FWIW, the set of three documentaries, one of which Urbanized is, is absolutely worth a watch
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  19. #44
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stick with it, 99.9% of a chance you will want/need something completely different than what you think you need now, regardless of what you get.
    As miles and experience in your little sphere of reality grow, so will your preferences, change.
    In summation, don't spend a lot of time or money on your first bike, wait for your second one

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    pdx
    My Bikes
    2007 carpe diem frame custom build, trek 7.9 frame custom build, custom built chinese carbon fiber road bike, shopping bike
    Posts
    3,312
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    but you will be assimilated with dynamos just like most other emerging technologies that have usurped American culture
    i will fight being assimilated by dynamos to the last breath.
    This is why motorists hate us, and why I've given up riding on the road...You should be ashamed yourself, and you should be reviled by cyclists everywhere.

  21. #46
    Senior Member puckett129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    Once you guys build some infrastructure the conditions will be similar.
    Yes, once you guys get cobblestone streets you'll understand that USB rechargeable lights are bull****.

  22. #47
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    My point is that the Uptown isn't super special and I'm surprised that the North American market commands such a price. That's a €500 bike at most over here. If you're willing to sacrifice slightly on frame materials ... it's a €200-300 bike.

    The hub alone is 400-500 though, and its not the default. The uptown infinity is like 1200 usd.... I have a feeling they may switch the infinity to belt drive, and possibly all of their internal hub models to belt drive eventually once they get a frame designed that has a notch for the belt. That notch is probably not going to be cheap as you need toe hardware to keep the frame rigid at that spot over its entire lifespan.

    Also, the town stuff breezer makes has no real equivalent that i've found, and i've been looking for 3 years pretty much non-stop for a replacement for my cruiser.

    The one thing i will say about the price, is that the market here is not the same as in europe or asia. A well thought out bike is going to come with a premium over the cookie cutter hybrids & road bikes that pretty much are the same brand to brand with minor component differences.

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

  23. #48
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
    i will fight being assimilated by dynamos to the last breath.
    Good luck. You must enjoy living with old technology.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  24. #49
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
    The hub alone is 400-500 though, and its not the default. The uptown infinity is like 1200 usd.... I have a feeling they may switch the infinity to belt drive, and possibly all of their internal hub models to belt drive eventually once they get a frame designed that has a notch for the belt. That notch is probably not going to be cheap as you need toe hardware to keep the frame rigid at that spot over its entire lifespan.

    Also, the town stuff breezer makes has no real equivalent that i've found, and i've been looking for 3 years pretty much non-stop for a replacement for my cruiser.

    The one thing i will say about the price, is that the market here is not the same as in europe or asia. A well thought out bike is going to come with a premium over the cookie cutter hybrids & road bikes that pretty much are the same brand to brand with minor component differences.

    - Andy
    That's the one with the junk N360 IGH, right?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  25. #50
    Senior Member TransitBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Newtown, PA
    My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    That's the one with the junk N360 IGH, right?
    I've all ready put 80 miles in & i can say it is far from junk. It has mountain bike level of low end ratio for long or steep hills. In fact i got up a hill i normally had to walk up first try... Only thing i would change is the high end to get a bit more speed out of it especially when i am not in stop-start areas. I'm sure that will be addressed in the next generation. But, the bike isn't really meant for speed, it's a commuter/town/utility bike. The speed thing...that's just my own personal preference and riding style. It always takes me weeks to months to really get comfortable with a new bike especially when it's so different from the one before.

    - Andy
    I can't wait for the next pint of good chocolate milk after a long ride.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •