Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78
  1. #51
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a brick ****house standard?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,364
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
    What is a brick ****house standard?
    The "standard" comes from the idiom.

  3. #53
    Intrepid Bicycle Commuter AlmostGreenGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya, Trek 4300, Sirrus Sport, '96 Diamondback Topanga
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to pry my Rennkompressor from my cold dead hands.

  4. #54
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the SKS Rennkompressor - recently the base detached from the pump.
    I contacted SKS - they said send it in.
    Oh did I mention that my pump is 20 years old!
    Duly sent in the pump - 4 days later I received a new one free of charge!
    Something you might want to consider in this era of planned obsolescence.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati
    My Bikes
    1988 Centurion Le Mans RS (stolen!), 2009 Bianchi Pista (48-16), 2014 Gunnar Sport (Arrived! Pictures soon!)
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Lezyne pump. Pump action is easy, pressure gauge is reliable, gets a great seal and you lose little-to-no air when you take the valve off. Had it for a year now, only used it prestas, but for me it's been great, best pump I've owned. Thinking about getting one of their portables if it can maintain the same seal as my floor pump.
    Your brain is you, you should protect it.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Nashbar floor pump. After 3 years the gauge stopped working. It was probably the cheapest one in the model line, the white one with red lettering. I decided to replace it with a Joe Blow Pro because I use a Topeak mini-pump away from home. I need a pump that does both Schraeder and Presta easily. I have no leaks from either the Topeak mini or Joe Blow Pro floor model single head designs. I agree with an earlier poster. There are no bests. Most bike shops use Park Tool Pumps and I'm sure they are pretty good. I didn't see them in this thread but I didn't read every post in great detail. I think if you are paying over $50 list for a floor pump you should be able to get something decent. I like the fact that the gauge on mine is up high so my aged eyes can see the numbers. That makes it vulnerable to falling over. And it does. Fall over. No matter what I do. Grrr.

    H

  7. #57
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,826
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I had a Nashbar floor pump. After 3 years the gauge stopped working. It was probably the cheapest one in the model line, the white one with red lettering. I decided to replace it with a Joe Blow Pro because I use a Topeak mini-pump away from home. I need a pump that does both Schraeder and Presta easily. I have no leaks from either the Topeak mini or Joe Blow Pro floor model single head designs. I agree with an earlier poster. There are no bests. Most bike shops use Park Tool Pumps and I'm sure they are pretty good. I didn't see them in this thread but I didn't read every post in great detail. I think if you are paying over $50 list for a floor pump you should be able to get something decent. I like the fact that the gauge on mine is up high so my aged eyes can see the numbers. That makes it vulnerable to falling over. And it does. Fall over. No matter what I do. Grrr.

    H
    My Joe Blow fell over and was knocked over enough to cause the gauge to quit working. I was able to get a replacement but it didn't come with a seal and I lost the one for the old gauge so I had to MacGyver one. The original single head never worked very well. I replaced it with a twin that works Ok but does leak some. So I guess I haven't been so happy with the Joe Blow. It's OK but I wasn't inclined to buy another.

    The recent model Parks don't seem to get good reviews and the Rennkompressor looked great for a personal pump if you've got presta valves. I wasn't entirely comfortable with it for use among a wide variety of people with different valves.

    The pump I got for the office (a Specialized) has a really big gauge that's on the floor.
    Last edited by tjspiel; 07-01-14 at 11:32 AM.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little disappointed with my Lezyne floor pump. I quite liked it when I first got it. However, now often when I try to pump, the handle drops all the way to the bottom with no resistance and without pushing any air. When I start, I kind of have to jerk it the handle down, and it takes a couple of attempts before it engages, and then it mostly works. It's like the plunger inside doesn't engage unless there's some pressure behind it. The problem seems to be getting worse with time. Little problems like this always make me worry, as I think it'll decide to fail completely at some inconvenient moment.
    Last edited by wilfried; 07-01-14 at 12:37 PM.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    . . . That makes it vulnerable to falling over. And it does. Fall over. No matter what I do. Grrr.
    Mount it on a piece of plywood.

  10. #60
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huizar View Post
    Love my Lezyne pump. Pump action is easy, pressure gauge is reliable, gets a great seal and you lose little-to-no air when you take the valve off. Had it for a year now, only used it prestas, but for me it's been great, best pump I've owned. Thinking about getting one of their portables if it can maintain the same seal as my floor pump.
    I have the Lezyne floor pump and I also their frame pump (for road and mountain bikes). The floor pump and the frame pumps all work equally well. What I especially like about their frame pumps is that the chuck is screwed into the valve. I can't even begin to tell you how many valves I had ruined trying to hold the chuck in place while inflating a tire out on the road.

    I like Lezyne products. Their customer service, however, is less than stellar.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati
    My Bikes
    1988 Centurion Le Mans RS (stolen!), 2009 Bianchi Pista (48-16), 2014 Gunnar Sport (Arrived! Pictures soon!)
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    I have the Lezyne floor pump and I also their frame pump (for road and mountain bikes). The floor pump and the frame pumps all work equally well. What I especially like about their frame pumps is that the chuck is screwed into the valve. I can't even begin to tell you how many valves I had ruined trying to hold the chuck in place while inflating a tire out on the road.

    I like Lezyne products. Their customer service, however, is less than stellar.
    I just had my Lezyne Super Drive XL front light poop out on me. Worked great for almost three years, then all of a sudden completely failed. Turns on, but turns off within 5 seconds of flashing. Was going to replace it with the newer version of the same, but ended up switching brands to be on the safe side. Got a better light for half the price! (Cygolite Metro 500 if you're interested). That being said, I still LOVE my pump.

    Which frame pump have you got? I want to get one but am always wary of stated PSI abilities of frame pumps. Are you able to reach your desired level of pressure with your lezyne?
    Your brain is you, you should protect it.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    4,821
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
    I'm a little disappointed with my Lezyne floor pump. I quite liked it when I first got it. However, now often when I try to pump, the handle drops all the way to the bottom with no resistance and without pushing any air.
    Sounds like a lack of lubrication around the plunger. It needs a little grease to make a good seal with the cylinder wall. On most pumps you just unscrew the top of the cylinder so you can pull the plunger out and rub a little grease on the edge - then reassemble.

  13. #63
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huizar View Post
    I just had my Lezyne Super Drive XL front light poop out on me. Worked great for almost three years, then all of a sudden completely failed. Turns on, but turns off within 5 seconds of flashing. Was going to replace it with the newer version of the same, but ended up switching brands to be on the safe side. Got a better light for half the price! (Cygolite Metro 500 if you're interested). That being said, I still LOVE my pump.

    Which frame pump have you got? I want to get one but am always wary of stated PSI abilities of frame pumps. Are you able to reach your desired level of pressure with your Lezyne?
    Quote Originally Posted by huizar View Post
    I just had my Lezyne Super Drive XL front light poop out on me. Worked great for almost three years, then all of a sudden completely failed. Turns on, but turns off within 5 seconds of flashing. Was going to replace it with the newer version of the same, but ended up switching brands to be on the safe side. Got a better light for half the price! (Cygolite Metro 500 if you're interested). That being said, I still LOVE my pump.

    Which frame pump have you got? I want to get one but am always wary of stated PSI abilities of frame pumps. Are you able to reach your desired level of pressure with your lezyne?
    Here is a list of the Lezyne products that I have:

    Alloy floor pump:
    http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloy.php#.U7Mh-rHn-Uk

    Carbon Road Drive:
    http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-carbonrd.php#.U7MiOLHn-Uk

    Carbon mtb:

    http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-crbndrlite.php#.U7MimbHn-Uk

    Multi-tool:

    http://www.lezyne.com/product-mtools-vtools.php#.U7MiZrHn-Uk

    Light:

    http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-perf-powerxl.php#.U7Mi_bHn-Uk

    The frame pump works great, with just a few strokes I can get my tire pumped up to riding pressure. The ABS Speed Flex Hose, with the built-in gauge is fantastic--but it is Presta only.

    My Lezyne light works fine but it was a little weak. (I had an earlier model.) Last summer I replaced it with a Light and Motion Urban 770 headlight; as the name implies it is rated at 770 lumens and it works great for my nighttime riding. This year they replaced the 770 model with a more power model, the Urban 800.

    Like I wrote earlier, I love Lezyne products, they are well designed and well put together. The frame pump is the best I've ever used (and that includes my old Silca Imperial). Their customer service, however, is not so good.

    Urban 800 Fast Charge

    Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 07-01-14 at 03:21 PM.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IN regards to universal heads, I have been using my universal head Specialized pump for two years, I use it on my car, motorcycle and bicycles. Two bikes have Presta valves, one Schraeder, and of course the car and motorcycle are both Schraeder. I use the pump very often since i check my car's tires at least weekly and the motorcycle almost every time I ride it. I use the pump on the bikes at least a few times a month. The pump works just as it did when I bought it. No issues with either type of valve.

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Sounds like a lack of lubrication around the plunger. It needs a little grease to make a good seal with the cylinder wall. On most pumps you just unscrew the top of the cylinder so you can pull the plunger out and rub a little grease on the edge - then reassemble.
    Thanks! That was really helpful. Some masterful Googling found me these instructions for taking apart the pump:

    Installing Floor Pumps O-Rings - Lezyne

    I couldn't get the tube off the base, but I took the top cap off, packed the o-ring with lithium grease (what I had on hand), and voilą, it's right as rain.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,364
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
    My Joe Blow fell over and was knocked over enough to cause the gauge to quit working. I was able to get a replacement but it didn't come with a seal and I lost the one for the old gauge so I had to MacGyver one. The original single head never worked very well. I replaced it with a twin that works Ok but does leak some. So I guess I haven't been so happy with the Joe Blow. It's OK but I wasn't inclined to buy another.

    The recent model Parks don't seem to get good reviews and the Rennkompressor looked great for a personal pump if you've got presta valves. I wasn't entirely comfortable with it for use among a wide variety of people with different valves.

    The pump I got for the office (a Specialized) has a really big gauge that's on the floor.

    I'm not sure what you looked at, but my Rennkompressor works equally well on presto or schrader valves.

    With the high pressures of road bike tires, if the gauge didn't work, there isn't much point in that pump for me.

    j.

  17. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Bontrager Recharge I bought used for $10. The head fits well on my Schreader valves, and I have no problems getting the tires to 110 psi.

  18. #68
    Senior Member Lanovran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Bikes
    1985 Nishiki Team Issue, 2013 Trek 520, 2014 Trek Stache 8, 2015 Trek District 8
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Bontrager TurboCharger HP, which works automatically with either Schrader or Presta valves without switching anything around. I have no trouble at all using mine on either valve type (I even use it to add air to my car tires now and then). The HP is designed to be easier to pump tires up to higher pressures, as it basically pumps about twice as much per stroke as the non-HP version due to the way the chamber is constructed.

  19. #69
    Senior Member pvillemasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Austin Texas USA
    My Bikes
    1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one similar to this Silca. Last pump you'll need to buy because it lasts forever and if it does break or wear you buy spare parts easily.

    http://www.amazon.com/Silca-Super-Pi.../dp/B007FNABK4

  20. #70
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrickards View Post
    I'd have gotten a Lezyne because I've heard they're good but in the end, I saved a few bucks and got a Joe Blow and am satisfied.
    I was looking at a lezyne floor pump in a shop last night, it was a beautiful piece of machining.

    But, for ease of use w/ presta and schrader, whatever pump you get would very likely be improved by a topeak smarthead retrofit

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Okefenokee Swamps.
    My Bikes
    Rockhopper
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using my Super Pista for over ten years and it's still working just fine. Always kept indoors it's never been greased and performs like it did when it was brand new. And I got mine from Lickton's Supply of Chicago, Lickbike.com.
    Best,

    -T

  22. #72
    Keepin it Wheel RubeRad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, etc
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my Nashbar L'Orange in the mail over the weekend, and I love it. I'm about to go drop a positive review over at nashbar.com. Some people seemed to have issue that v2.0 presta/schraeder now uses a reversible connector rather than v1.0, but I like it. Chunky screw-out/flip/screw-in is quick&easy, no fiddling. Much better than previous systems I'd used where you have to unscrew a plastic cap, then fiddle out a rubber cylinder and pop it back in then the cap back on.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Queens
    My Bikes
    Trek Crocket 5 Disc, Specialized Tricross Comp Disc, Cannondale Quick CQ
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to order this ..price is reasonable as well as shipping from UK......looks like great reviews EDIT shipping is pricey ..it would come out to around 60 US


    Wiggle | LifeLine Essential Track Pump | Floor Pumps

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Blow Pro
    1 - handle lock for carrying it around.
    2 - Hole to stick hose to keep it from flopping around when I carry and store it.
    3 - Gauge up where my old eyes can see it
    4 - REI shop has rebuild kits.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Jamis Coda Elite
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    Joe Blow for me. It's a great pump. The dual head works well as long as you seat it properly.
    I have a Joe Blow Sport, which seems to work fine, too, except for that damn head which always puts up a serious fight before I finally seat it properly. I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive, which I prefer to use over the Joe Blow at this point just because it makes perfect contact and lets me get air into the tire and get on with it.

    Actually, this thread made me just click a button at Amazon to have someone send me a Lezyne Alloy Floor Pump for $59.95 (might have nabbed the last one at this price). We'll see how that works out. And Joe Blow is getting a ride back to REI, who may or may not have a 1 year 100% Satisfaction Guarantee (I'll find out when I get there, because the unlimited warranty under which I bought some REI-branded Raichle boots with the malevolently engineered, evaporative EVA soles turned out to be absolute bulls***t presented to me with a smirk and a "beat it" tone of voice.)

    tim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •