Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member tjspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,826
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    onboard radar for you bike, - useful or not?

    It's integrated into a tail light that alters the frequency of flash as a car (or anything) approaches you from behind. A head unit on your handlebars uses a series of LEDs to tell you how far away the car is.



    Saw it on slashdot.
    If you're not riding with a psychedelic gecko on your shirt, you ARE having a substandard experience.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Northwestrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how it reacts when you have a steel bike a few feet behind ? How pricey is it ? At the moment, I prefer my mirror, that can change with information however.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chico, Cali
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't appear to be able to differentiate between a car safely passing you in the next lane over and one barreling straight at your back.

    If that's all it can do, it's not doing anything that your ears can't already do better.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern CaliFORNIA.
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea. More data needed before I would jump on board.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

  5. #5
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,095
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does tell you how far back an object is which can be vague just using hearing and rear view mirrors so it adds something at least. I've been speculating about this here off and on for a couple of years. The problem is that it doesn't tell direction as someone else noted, and also doesn't appear to indicate relative speed or an object's size. Until the device can detect both speed and direction it's too limited in my opinion. But one that does know the speed and direction of approaching objects could calculate an approach and give you various warnings and also some indication of how much time you have, and that would be very useful.

  6. #6
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $149 pre-order.

    i like to see technology development in general, along with good industrial design, which this has.

    but, it is still below my must have threshold, not because of design/implementation/cost, i just don't see a use for it.
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    My Bikes
    7.2 FX
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping for yet another way to blow money on bikes and bike accessories.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs to be Bluetooth enabled and integrated with the Strava app... so the it all can be displayed on the console mounted phone.

  9. #9
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    It needs to be Bluetooth enabled and integrated with the Strava app... so the it all can be displayed on the console mounted phone.
    do people really ride with their phone on the bars?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  10. #10
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,655
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks about 1/4 as useful as a mirror, for only 10 times the cost.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  11. #11
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    11,655
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    do people really ride with their phone on the bars?
    Fair-weather cyclists who don't ride in full sun, maybe. I can't imagine that I'd be able to actually see my phone more than about 10% of the time. Also, I wouldn't anyway because it's distracting. I won't even do more than glance at my cycle computer when riding. Eyes on the road.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  12. #12
    BF Avatar Zombie Hunter Jseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SW Washington state on the ocean!
    My Bikes
    1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '03 Colnago Dream Lux, several older family Treks
    Posts
    1,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe an audio threat indicator implying missle lock might tighten your ass.
    Last edited by Jseis; 07-04-14 at 02:59 PM.
    Amerika, Land of the Very Brief.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double0757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    My Bikes
    1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link: Backtracker by iKubu - Dragon Innovation

    It would help on those occasions that a car sneak by from the rear without you noticing it on the rear view mirror or car/road noise. It would give an alert to start looking on the mirror again. However, could be a distraction on busy streets. Someone would have to try and report! I do see some benefit to it.

    Another observation, it has a lot of real state on the rear. How bright are the lights, are they useful for day driver?

    Double O

  14. #14
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    do people really ride with their phone on the bars?
    Only until the Bluetooth cycling glasses with heads-up displays connect to the phone in their jersey pocket. Blink-recognition (in the cycling glasses) will allow the cyclist to wirelessly connect with the electronic shifters and shift hands-free as well.

    I've seen people with a phone mounted on their handlebars. I've also seen GPS units... and simple little (wireless) bicycle computers with thermometers. It's all relative I guess.

    I've been thinking of downloading the Strava app. Right now.... I use a $10 wired bicycle computer... and transcribe the data to paper on a clipboard I keep in my garage. I call my current setup "government grade technology" (that's an inside joke).

  15. #15
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Only until the Bluetooth cycling glasses with heads-up displays connect to the phone in their jersey pocket. Blink-recognition (in the cycling glasses) will allow the cyclist to wirelessly connect with the electronic shifters and shift hands-free as well.

    I've seen people with a phone mounted on their handlebars. I've also seen GPS units... and simple little (wireless) bicycle computers with thermometers. It's all relative I guess.

    I've been thinking of downloading the Strava app. Right now.... I use a $10 wired bicycle computer... and transcribe the data to paper on a clipboard I keep in my garage. I call my current setup "government grade technology" (that's an inside joke).
    have you seen my BSO thread?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  16. #16
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,095
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    do people really ride with their phone on the bars?
    I do. Actually a forward mount in front of the bars, primarily for the GPS direction (Osmand app) which has a high-contrast display, easily visible. It's also convenient for answering the phone, although I rarely do that, and, the strange part, is easier to carry there than in my pocket.

    Bluetooth to the phone display is a good idea.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    have you seen my BSO thread?
    Yes.

  18. #18
    Senior Member wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
    My Bikes
    I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
    Posts
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    do people really ride with their phone on the bars?
    No not on my handlebars...

  19. #19
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the whole idea of a phone/GPS on handlebars is nuts.

    unless you're really in the outlands (middle east). even in europe, there's no need.

    why is this done?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  20. #20
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,095
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    the whole idea of a phone/GPS on handlebars is nuts.

    unless you're really in the outlands (middle east). even in europe, there's no need.

    why is this done?
    1) for GPS navigation
    2) if you're playing with strava segments, or timing intervals
    3) if your GPS reception is spotty and needs to be out in the open
    4) you want hands free phone operation
    5) the phone there isn't flopping around in your cargo pants or getting sweaty in your jersey pocket
    6) other applications you may wish to have.

    If I had a radar display on it, so much the better!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    4,823
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    the whole idea of a phone/GPS on handlebars is nuts.

    unless you're really in the outlands (middle east). even in europe, there's no need.

    why is this done?
    Having a map display in a visible spot seems useful for a variety of bicycling activities. Sure it's not needed when close to home in a familiar area, but for longer rides it's handy to see where one is and how to best continue to the planned destination. When traveling by car one is frequently on main highways where there are lots of signs indicating the distance and direction to nearby towns. But when cycling one is more often on secondary minor roads which have far fewer directional signs.

  22. #22
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    1) for GPS navigation
    2) if you're playing with strava segments, or timing intervals
    3) if your GPS reception is spotty and needs to be out in the open
    4) you want hands free phone operation
    5) the phone there isn't flopping around in your cargo pants or getting sweaty in your jersey pocket
    6) other applications you may wish to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Having a map display in a visible spot seems useful for a variety of bicycling activities. Sure it's not needed when close to home in a familiar area, but for longer rides it's handy to see where one is and how to best continue to the planned destination. When traveling by car one is frequently on main highways where there are lots of signs indicating the distance and direction to nearby towns. But when cycling one is more often on secondary minor roads which have far fewer directional signs.
    When I cycle, I want to get lost. The journey is the point. My knowledge of fine dining has expanded exponentially because I get lost.

    Is the same not true for you?

    Or is cycling always a race?
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  23. #23
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,095
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    When I cycle, I want to get lost. The journey is the point. My knowledge of fine dining has expanded exponentially because I get lost.

    Is the same not true for you?

    Or is cycling always a race?
    I don't mind getting lost when I'm larking about, but I also like to get where I'm going and I sometimes like to get back in a timely fashion. Sometimes the destination is the point.

  24. #24
    http://www.538.nl acidfast7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    England / CPH
    My Bikes
    2010 Cube Acid
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I don't mind getting lost when I'm larking about, but I also like to get where I'm going and I sometimes like to get back in a timely fashion. Sometimes the destination is the point.
    If that is true, you'll know where you're going (at least I would) without GPS/map?

    What am I missing here? I can easily navigate London/Kyoto/Shanghai without GPS ... simply by asking directions
    Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S)
    Rohloffs seen on the commute: 3

  25. #25
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,095
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
    If that is true, you'll know where you're going (at least I would) without GPS/map?

    What am I missing here? I can easily navigate London/Kyoto/Shanghai without GPS ... simply by asking directions
    People do buy and carry maps - there is a purpose for them and the GPS also serves that purpose.

    You might as well say, "I don't need no cell phone because I can just talk to their face". And you might be right, but it doesn't mean that they don't serve a useful purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •