Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-14, 08:03 PM   #1
Chocotwilight
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommendation and suggestions for buying a new road bike for commuting

Hi everyone, i'm living in Melbourne Australia currently and have been commuting with my flat bar HASA hybrid road bike for quite a while now. Recently i have been thinking about getting a road bike but i'm not sure what to get.

My current bike,
Buy HASA Shimano 105 Tiagra Carbon Flat Bar Road Bike 30 Speed | CD
(3x10 speed is really a complete hokum, i've rarely use all of them even climbing steep hills)

and i'm considering the below bike,
2014 HASA 18 Speed Road Bike Shimano Sora Black | CD
can you guys help me to determine if i the bike i look up is a good buy or should i go for another bike. if so, what are the recommendation?

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Chocotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:35 PM   #2
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A road bike is not really suitable for commuting. You need a dedicated commuter bike. Take a look at the Trek Allant:

NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:43 PM   #3
Chocotwilight
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
A road bike is not really suitable for commuting. You need a dedicated commuter bike. Take a look at the Trek Allant:

Interesting. Is there any dropbar option? I'm not just commuting but will go on a regular bike ride. I usually just put on my messenger bag while commuting to university. My current hybrid is actually pretty good but just need a thicker tire for commuting.
Chocotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:43 PM   #4
lanahk
Senior Member
 
lanahk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Bikes: LHT, Giant Defy2, 83 Fuji Del Rey
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you want to do with the new bike? Ride trails? Do triathlons? Begin your professional road racing career? Use it to commute? Ride across Australia?

If you just want to try a road bike, go for it. If you want something for commuting, though, I'd look at something more laid-back, maybe with some braze-ons for a rear rack and fenders, unless you like showing up places with a mud stripe up your back. You can use it to haul beer around, too.
lanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:50 PM   #5
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocotwilight View Post
Interesting. Is there any dropbar option? I'm not just commuting but will go on a regular bike ride. I usually just put on my messenger bag while commuting to university. My current hybrid is actually pretty good but just need a thicker tire for commuting.
It never hurts to ask the bike shop. Most people though don't do long distance commuting so they need a tough bike that can carry a load to where they want to go. A road bike will lack fender and rack mounts, can't take wide tires and won't be to haul a load safely - it won't feel stable like with a commuter bike. If you want a road bike for fast rides that's fine but its not up to the demands of heavy duty commuting.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:53 PM   #6
Chocotwilight
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of riding trails on my weekends. Although i wouldn't deny the temptation to ride on a road bike. My another question is would the above link i provide be a good bike to ride with? i was told by my local mechanics that my current hybrid bike shifter, "Shimano Tiagra" isn't really a good shifter and it might not provide a smooth shifting. so i just want to do a little bit of research on the next bike i buy.
Chocotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:02 PM   #7
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Were I you, I'd take a look at cross bikes.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:03 PM   #8
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a company in Melbourne - Allegro Bikes that has dedicated commuter bikes.

Allegro Bikes

The T-1 is worth a look:



You didn't mention your budget. At $2900 AUD it may or may not be what you have in mind. But its the right bike for your commute and you really can't ask for more.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:18 PM   #9
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There you go.....ready off the shelf!!

A few lights, a few pedals and you're in the wind.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:20 PM   #10
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocotwilight View Post
I'm thinking of riding trails on my weekends. Although i wouldn't deny the temptation to ride on a road bike. My another question is would the above link i provide be a good bike to ride with? i was told by my local mechanics that my current hybrid bike shifter, "Shimano Tiagra" isn't really a good shifter and it might not provide a smooth shifting. so i just want to do a little bit of research on the next bike i buy.
The bike i ride is something you may want to look into, or that trek, or something along those lines. I can ride for many miles at a moderate pace in normal everyday clothes. Road bike, i think you'd need more riding oriented clothing. then there are the other issues stated above about carrying things, lights, etc.

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:22 PM   #11
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
There is a company in Melbourne - Allegro Bikes that has dedicated commuter bikes.

Allegro Bikes

The T-1 is worth a look:



You didn't mention your budget. At $2900 AUD it may or may not be what you have in mind. But its the right bike for your commute and you really can't ask for more.
Not bad! Bit pricey though.

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:29 PM   #12
Chocotwilight
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which bike are you riding?
Chocotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:32 PM   #13
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
surly cross check.
the end.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:37 PM   #14
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
Not bad! Bit pricey though.

- Andy
Agreed. But its nothing when you consider what people shell out for a road bike on the Road Bike forum here. If it makes you happy and it fits your needs, somehow people manage to find the budget for what they want.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:59 PM   #15
Jas556
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
surly cross check.
the end.
This seems like a good option. I'm also considering the LHT as the balloon tires I'd end up putting on might save some rolling weight with the smaller wheels.
Jas556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:56 PM   #16
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas556 View Post
This seems like a good option. I'm also considering the LHT as the balloon tires I'd end up putting on might save some rolling weight with the smaller wheels.
I limit my efforts at weight savings to the road bike. I don't limit weight savings on the road bike. Nothing is off limits or sacred. You save an ounce by getting rid of 28 grams.

I found out a long time ago that after you equip a bike with lights, pumps, water bottles, LOCKS AND CABLES, racks, bags and...............things tied to the racks and things in the bags; that the advantages of less "rolling weight with the smaller wheels" will disappear like the spray from the first water puddle that you ride through.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 11:42 PM   #17
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
Agreed. But its nothing when you consider what people shell out for a road bike on the Road Bike forum here. If it makes you happy and it fits your needs, somehow people manage to find the budget for what they want.
Hey, i'm all for it to support a company that makes bikes in original poster's home country (and not in china). Realistically, you often do not realize how much something costs when it is made by people paid a living wage (even with benefits etc). Just one more reason to make things yourself if you cannot buy from such manufacturers/shops. Anyways that's entirely a different topic...

I do feel that there is a bike for everyone, and that everyone can ride in some form or another (an should), and if you spend a lil more and it isnt making your lights get shut off or you evicted, then hey go for it.

- ANdy
TransitBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:08 AM   #18
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 8,056
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
It never hurts to ask the bike shop. Most people though don't do long distance commuting so they need a tough bike that can carry a load to where they want to go. A road bike will lack fender and rack mounts, can't take wide tires and won't be to haul a load safely - it won't feel stable like with a commuter bike. If you want a road bike for fast rides that's fine but its not up to the demands of heavy duty commuting.
There are lots of different kinds of road bikes. The ones that are very race oriented won't have mounts for racks or fenders but there are plenty of options for adding fenders regardless of whether or not a specific bike has built in mounts for them.

Even my entry level road bike has mounting points for a rack and it had no trouble carrying a load when I was using panniers but mostly I use a backpack anyway.

What is true is that lots of road bikes are limited in terms of the width of tire they will support, - which may or may not be a problem depending on the kinds of roads you commute on. Cross bikes and touring style road bikes will allow for wider tires.

Plenty of people put in plenty of commuter miles on various types of road bikes from fixed gears on up to high end touring and cross bikes. I even knew a guy that commuted on a tri-bike.

I'd say for most people that commute on roads commuting is one of the least demanding uses for a bike, compared to racing, long group rides, or offroad riding.

Last edited by tjspiel; 07-29-14 at 08:11 AM.
tjspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:12 AM   #19
Jas556
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjones View Post
I limit my efforts at weight savings to the road bike. I don't limit weight savings on the road bike. Nothing is off limits or sacred. You save an ounce by getting rid of 28 grams.

I found out a long time ago that after you equip a bike with lights, pumps, water bottles, LOCKS AND CABLES, racks, bags and...............things tied to the racks and things in the bags; that the advantages of less "rolling weight with the smaller wheels" will disappear like the spray from the first water puddle that you ride through.
The issue is with 2"+ rubber, which I understand to be a pain in the butt when starting and stopping.
Jas556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 09:11 AM   #20
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
True. One of the most respected tires for commuting is the Marathon Supreme. Schwalbe states the weight of a 26X2.0 at 565 grams. I just put a 700X25 GP 4000 on the road bike---221 grams on my scale.

I thought that I had spare tubes for the commuter. I did, wrong size (used) put in the right box. Ooops. I had to use Cheryl's front wheel/tire waiting for new tubes. Going to the store I was amazed at how sluggish it was. I actually stopped to make sure nothing was wrong. On the way home, with the rear racks loaded and the front rack with its 4.5lb-2ltr Mtn Dew counterweight everything seemed normal.

I got the new tubes and weighed the 26" road wheel/1.25" slick vs. Cheryl's wheel and tire. Her MTB rim, with a smooth "road" tire (2.X wide and no knobbies) was three extra pounds. I was amazed at the difference the extra weight made on an empty bike.
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 05:01 PM   #21
Saving Hawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chico, Cali
Bikes:
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, I don't get the hate for road bikes in this thread.

You're not going to have any issues commuting on a road bike. Many of the frames may not handle great with a big load on a rear rack but there are still ways to mount racks and do that if you want. I usually just wear a backpack or a trailer for groceries.

Ride a bike that's fun for you and gets you where you're going. For me that's my Specialized Allez. No issues using that as my only form of transportation.
Saving Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 07:56 PM   #22
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii View Post
Man, I don't get the hate for road bikes in this thread.

You're not going to have any issues commuting on a road bike. Many of the frames may not handle great with a big load on a rear rack but there are still ways to mount racks and do that if you want. I usually just wear a backpack or a trailer for groceries.

Ride a bike that's fun for you and gets you where you're going. For me that's my Specialized Allez. No issues using that as my only form of transportation.
Road bikes are literally road versions of... track bikes. They are fantastic for going places fast. In my own experience, they are not as easy to live with in terms of car free. They are not built to take cargo, they are not built to hit pothole after pothole. I do not think it is "hate" just people speaking from experience. I had a 21 speed diamond frame flat bar road bike before my cruiser. It was fantastc for leisure & fun rides, but i could not ever see me hauling groceries on it. As soon as i got my cruiser, i was off all over doing errands & starting to get groceries and so on. Road bike for a route that includes gravel sounds dodgy at best to me, based on my own experience.

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:06 PM   #23
gregjones 
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii View Post
Man, I don't get the hate for road bikes in this thread.
I feel lucky to have the roads that I ride on. I read of other's horror stories about the trash that they brave every day. I guess my rural back roads are about the best conditions, from what I've read. I get awful tired of the hills and the rain in West Georgia but they must combine to wash the roads clean. I don't ride through trash. I refuse to cast a spell upon myself by stating how long it's been since I had a flat. There's not a goathead within 1500 miles of me!! I try to ride the road bike every day that I can, saving the commuter/utility ride to get as much work out of it in one trip as possible....so I can get back to the roadie.

I guess that if I were to live in a "more civilized" urban environment I would have to deal with worn out, overused roads in counties that can't maintain them due to the cost of fighting drugs and the expense of attempting to solve the numerous crimes that occur every hour. Then I imagine that I would have to consider 28-35mm tires and a bike that they might fit on. But I don't worry about that and am thankful for the freedom of not having to consider road trash every morning as routine.

The Allez is a perfect commuter. Just pick the level that best suits your environment and put it in the wind.

I am considering a trailer, I have to take the trash to county dumpsters. The truck gets about 15 miles a month on it....hauling trash. Four insurance payments=trailer. What do you pull behind your Allez??
__________________
Current Bike Stages--Click PR Logo
PedalRoom
gregjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:33 PM   #24
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocotwilight View Post
Hi everyone, i'm living in Melbourne Australia currently and have been commuting with my flat bar HASA hybrid road bike for quite a while now. Recently i have been thinking about getting a road bike but i'm not sure what to get.

My current bike,
Buy HASA Shimano 105 Tiagra Carbon Flat Bar Road Bike 30 Speed | CD
(3x10 speed is really a complete hokum, i've rarely use all of them even climbing steep hills)

and i'm considering the below bike,
2014 HASA 18 Speed Road Bike Shimano Sora Black | CD
can you guys help me to determine if i the bike i look up is a good buy or should i go for another bike. if so, what are the recommendation?

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You're getting a lot of retrogrouch answers that are worse than the bike you currently own. A curly bar road bike is a little faster if you're going into the wind, but is not terribly faster or anything. I don't know that it would be worth your money to "upgrade". It's unusual for a flat bar bike to not have rack mounts - but if it doesn't, you can add a rack anyways with an Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc rack -
Amazon.com : Axiom DLX Streamliner Disc Cycle Rack, Black : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors

Is there something wrong with your current bike?

The Trek Allant is going to be the same speed or slower. The Surley Crosscheck comes with bar-end shifters which drive me nuts - every other bike comes with the shifters built into the brakes so you don't have to take your hands off the brakes.

Personally, I ride a Specialized Sequoia (replaced by the Secteur) and it's been great. Thinking about a full carbon model to replace it - you can get a Bontrager rack that will go onto a Trek Domane.

I don't think you're going to get a lot more out of a cheap road bike than you already have with the flat bar you're currently riding. If you're going to invest money in a new bike, I'd spend more money than that - or sticking with your current bike is perfectly fine imo to. If you want to feel like you're going faster (and actually go a little faster), might consider nicer tires.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 07-30-14 at 10:17 AM.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:43 PM   #25
TinkerinWstuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Colorado Front Range
Bikes: Giant Anyroad
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I commute on this Giant Anyroad and am very pleased. Over 1000 miles on it so far. Works great on commute, rides to the park with my family, and even forest service roads. Cost me a reasonable $1300 US after tax.
I ride it 20miles each way for 40 miles a day, so I'm not sure I agree with the opinion that you have to have a dedicated commuter bike.



TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 AM.