Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-15, 03:00 PM   #26
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid
Posts: 6,480
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pusher Man View Post
Thanks for the tip on Viktor climbing, I'll keep that in mind. I have lots of wildlife in my area, I'm in the CA redwoods and see coyotes, dear, skunks etc all the time (state park). I wish the bike paths were a little smoother though, have to be on your toes as they aren't maintained that well. I have a question on tire width. I will probably have the same tires as you (Continental Grand Prix 700 x 28C, ISO 28-622), how wide are those in inches? - does 28C = 28mm width?
28mm at the bead.
acidfast7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 06:43 PM   #27
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
28mm at the bead.
Thanks, I was thinking that but wasn't sure.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 08:07 AM   #28
bmthom.gis
Senior Member
 
bmthom.gis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue
Posts: 2,957
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pusher Man View Post
Thanks for the tip on Viktor climbing, I'll keep that in mind. I have lots of wildlife in my area, I'm in the CA redwoods and see coyotes, dear, skunks etc all the time (state park). I wish the bike paths were a little smoother though, have to be on your toes as they aren't maintained that well. I have a question on tire width. I will probably have the same tires as you (Continental Grand Prix 700 x 28C, ISO 28-622), how wide are those in inches? - does 28C = 28mm width?
The 28C is indeed 28 mm wide (well, advertised to be, anyway). So in inches, that would be ~1.1 inches wide.

The real question is why aren't you riding a P-Far???
bmthom.gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:20 PM   #29
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis View Post
The 28C is indeed 28 mm wide (well, advertised to be, anyway). So in inches, that would be ~1.1 inches wide.

The real question is why aren't you riding a P-Far???
My legs are too short.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 08:31 AM   #30
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Hey pusher, tried to send you a PM but I don't post enough to qualify for the privlaedge...

did in you get it yet? I'm interested to hear your impressions.

heres a video I took of where I ride mine

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rpb70S3aQ[/video]
Butterfield, yes I got the bike and really like it. I've been accessorizing it along with getting the gearing squared away for the hills I have in my area. I'm just about done and will post a pic in the next day or so. The bike has gone through quite a transformation since I've had it these last 3 weeks. First order of business was to flip to freewheel and see how the 60/22 worked out on the grades. Too tall for the hills I will be climbing so I got with my sales rep and he set me up with a very sweet upgrade free of charge. He sent me a complete 60T/30T CenterTrack upgrade with belt. It's a great ride that can handle the hills now - smooth, quiet, great power transfer ... all those things a belt drive does. As for accessories -

- VDO M2 Wireless Computer
- Spurcycle Anodized Bell
- Bontrager Ion 700 USB Headlight
- Sony Action Cam Mini AZ1
- Vaude Cruiser Frame Bag
- Anodized Handlebar End Caps
- Scoop Radius Elite Seat
- AVT Pro Carbon Accessory Mount
- CRG 2" Diameter Mirrors
- Anodized Valve Caps & Collars
- Torhans VR Aero Bottle & Mount
-
60T/30T CenterTrack Stainless Cogs & Belt (upgrade)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike-1.jpg (104.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by The Pusher Man; 05-08-15 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Updated
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 08:07 PM   #31
Butterfield
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow. Looking forward to the pics. How do you like the light stick? And did you look at the Siegfried? I went back and forth trying to decide on that or the viktor.
Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 04:36 PM   #32
jayry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering buying a Ludwig XIV for my commute as well, so I'll resurrect this post to see if there's any additional feedback from folks. Thanks in advance.
jayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 07:30 AM   #33
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Wow. Looking forward to the pics. How do you like the light stick? And did you look at the Siegfried? I went back and forth trying to decide on that or the viktor.
I attached a pic to my post. The LED seat post is on the way, they ran out and didn't have any when my bike shipped. I did look at the Siegfried and opted for the Viktor due to the styling. Differences are the seat, handlebars and the straight forks. I also really liked the white and how they did the rims with the black spokes. Other than that they are pretty much the same bike. I really like it, the 60/30 gearing makes it perfect for the scenic rides in my area, many hills but none I can't climb so far.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 07:44 AM   #34
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayry View Post
I am considering buying a Ludwig XIV for my commute as well, so I'll resurrect this post to see if there's any additional feedback from folks. Thanks in advance.
I have a friend getting one next week, he'll tell me how he likes it and I'll pass that along. The Lugwig XIV looks to be an incredible bike with that Rohloff 14-speed hub and Formula R1 disc brakes.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 08:31 AM   #35
jayry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to get his feedback
jayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 08:31 AM   #36
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayry View Post
I'd love to get his feedback
I heard back from the Ludwig XIV owner. He likes it a lot. He was concerned that @ around $5.5k (for what he ordered) it wouldn't meet his expectations. He now says he made the right choice, the brooks seat is really comfortable and shifting, braking and overall riding is the best he has ever experienced. (But let me add this, he has never gone high end with a purchase until this one, but has ridden some high end bikes in the past - so take his comments in that context). If you haven't hopped on a belt drive bike you should try to, that should be the discriminator on your decision. It's different for sure, some really like it while others don't see what the big deal is. For the money you are going to spend on a Ludwig XIV you could also get a very nice chain drive bike, it comes down to what will make you most happy for the $$ spent.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 08:35 AM   #37
jayry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pusher Man View Post
I heard back from the Ludwig XIV owner. He likes it a lot. He was concerned that @ around $5.5k (for what he ordered) it wouldn't meet his expectations. He now says he made the right choice, the brooks seat is really comfortable and shifting, braking and overall riding is the best he has ever experienced. (But let me add this, he has never gone high end with a purchase until this one, but has ridden some high end bikes in the past - so take his comments in that context). If you haven't hopped on a belt drive bike you should try to, that should be the discriminator on your decision. It's different for sure, some really like it while others don't see what the big deal is. For the money you are going to spend on a Ludwig XIV you could also get a very nice chain drive bike, it comes down to what will make you most happy for the $$ spent.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I finally decided to buy a Lynskey Urbanskey with Rival 22. The Ludwig XIV looks like a terrific bike, but I felt "bad" buying a German bike with the lots of local options around here, and also the Lynskey seemed to be more versatile. I should receive it next week, so we'll see if I made the right decision...
jayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 08:41 AM   #38
The Pusher Man
Member
 
The Pusher Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayry View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I finally decided to buy a Lynskey Urbanskey with Rival 22. The Ludwig XIV looks like a terrific bike, but I felt "bad" buying a German bike with the lots of local options around here, and also the Lynskey seemed to be more versatile. I should receive it next week, so we'll see if I made the right decision...
You'll like it, that's a very nice bike - congratulations.
The Pusher Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 10:16 AM   #39
SouthFLpix
Senior Member
 
SouthFLpix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like you made your decision. Congrats on the new bike.
SouthFLpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 03:54 PM   #40
jayry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix View Post
Looks like you made your decision. Congrats on the new bike.
It was not an easy one!... I loved the Schindelhauer but in the end I figured it was going too be way too urban specific, and the urbanskey would cover more ground. We'll see!
jayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 04:58 AM   #41
lazant
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't Buy

Just a heads up, the North American distributor, Jeff Yard, is a swindler. He sent me the wrong size and promised to right the mistake but changed his mind. Unfortunately, despite numerous emails to Germany, the company also will not fix the mistake. It's too bad because the bike was nice.
lazant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 07:05 PM   #42
largetexas
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
I own a schindelhauer viktor, and happen to live in the Houston area. I absolutely love mine! I ride almost everyday, rain or shine, never felt beat up. As long as you get the right size, you will not be dissapointed!

im in the woodlands, if you are nearby and want to see mine.
Butterfield, it's only been 3 years since this post , but wanted to check in if you're still in Houston and how you're liking your Viktor?
largetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 08:11 PM   #43
Butterfield
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by largetexas View Post
Butterfield, it's only been 3 years since this post , but wanted to check in if you're still in Houston and how you're liking your Viktor?
Still in Houston (Woodlands) and still love riding my Viktor. The bike paths up here are perfect for riding a fixed gear. I 3-4 times a week depending on my schedule. I have logged thousands of miles in those 3 years and still love every time I get out to ride. The bike is very low maintenance.

Brian
Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 08:14 PM   #44
Butterfield
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazant View Post
Just a heads up, the North American distributor, Jeff Yard, is a swindler. He sent me the wrong size and promised to right the mistake but changed his mind. Unfortunately, despite numerous emails to Germany, the company also will not fix the mistake. It's too bad because the bike was nice.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Are you stuck with the bike? Which model and what size?
Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 06:37 PM   #45
lazant
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. Are you stuck with the bike? Which model and what size?
Yes I got stuck with the bike. Jeff Yard kept telling me he would send the correct size after the next production run but never did. I have the 59cm Viktor in white.
lazant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 07:58 PM   #46
largetexas
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazant View Post
Yes I got stuck with the bike. Jeff Yard kept telling me he would send the correct size after the next production run but never did. I have the 59cm Viktor in white.
Are you at least liking the bike?
largetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 07:57 AM   #47
lazant
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by largetexas View Post
Are you at least liking the bike?
Aside from the occasional uncomfortable hit from the top tube when hopping off, the bike is great. It's really too bad because I would have ordered one of their other bikes for my girlfriend if it weren't for this ordeal.

I did just order a Bullitt from Larry vs Harry that I'm excited about. Should be shipping in a couple weeks.
lazant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION