Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member beastonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    My Bikes
    30's Hercules, 72 Peugeot UO8, 66 Eatons Glider, 90 Cannondale SR800, 66 Bottecchia Campion de Monde, 09 Kona Jake the Snake, 78 Raliegh Sport
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winter "Frankenstein" Commuting Bike

    I have a few fast and fun bikes for summer and the dry weather but each fall I like to piece together a winter wet bike I like to call my Frankenstein. This year's entry is my 66 Bottecchia campion de monde with an eclectic batch of parts slapped on. I rode it today as it was the first rain in a long time. Fun, solid ride.

    66 Bottecchia f/f
    90 Dura ace cranks and chain ring 44t
    Cinneli stem
    Modolo Bars
    Shimano 105 brake levers
    66 universal brakes
    Chain from a 65 single speed.



    Cheers,

    Dave
    Last edited by beastonabike; 09-18-14 at 06:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member john4789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2012 Kilo WT, ??yr Trek Mountain Track, ??yr Omega Tandem Sport
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, would ride. I prefer flat bars in winter in Chicago to deal with pushing through snow and extra stability over ice. You might want to consider that. Tire size? Chain is a little slack too but I'm sure you are still getting it dialed in.

  3. #3
    Member kingston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lake Forest, IL
    My Bikes
    1981 Trek 613, 1990 Schwinn KOM S7, 1991 Schwinn Cruiser, 2012 Jamis Aurora Elite, 2013 Rivendell Sam Hillborne
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    john4789, I think winter in Vancouver is more like what we call Spring in Chicago, but that Bottecchia looks great.

  4. #4
    Member beastonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    My Bikes
    30's Hercules, 72 Peugeot UO8, 66 Eatons Glider, 90 Cannondale SR800, 66 Bottecchia Campion de Monde, 09 Kona Jake the Snake, 78 Raliegh Sport
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Ya winter in Van is a spring day anywhere else. We get the odd hard snow but not that often. Ya will do some tweaking when i get home from work and also cinch up that chain but over all she's solid.
    Last edited by beastonabike; 09-18-14 at 08:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a winter beater, but I finally decided that since the rainy season lasts about 9 months here I ought to make the rain bike the nice one. So now my main commuter (2013 Kona Jake) sees year round duty. I didn't even bother taking off the fenders this summer.

    Even so, I'm thinking about getting a rigid fork and some Big Apples for my 2006 Kona Kula, just to have something different to ride once in a while.

    I love the chrome lugs on your bike.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cyclosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago Western 'burbs
    My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john4789 View Post
    Nice job, would ride. I prefer flat bars in winter in Chicago to deal with pushing through snow and extra stability over ice. You might want to consider that. Tire size? Chain is a little slack too but I'm sure you are still getting it dialed in.
    After last winter in Chicago I'm seriously considering a fat bike.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

  7. #7
    Member beastonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    My Bikes
    30's Hercules, 72 Peugeot UO8, 66 Eatons Glider, 90 Cannondale SR800, 66 Bottecchia Campion de Monde, 09 Kona Jake the Snake, 78 Raliegh Sport
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    I used to have a winter beater, but I finally decided that since the rainy season lasts about 9 months here I ought to make the rain bike the nice one. So now my main commuter (2013 Kona Jake) sees year round duty. I didn't even bother taking off the fenders this summer.

    Even so, I'm thinking about getting a rigid fork and some Big Apples for my 2006 Kona Kula, just to have something different to ride once in a while.

    I love the chrome lugs on your bike.
    My everyday commuter rain or shine was my 2009 Kona Jake the Snake. I put 5000+ kms a year on it. Last year the welds right above the bott bracket snapped so that was the end of that frame. They sent me a 2014 Jake the Snake but it is set up with disc brakes o ly so I am stuck with a new frame and a set of old parts that don't fit. I miss my Jake.

    Dave

  8. #8
    Stealing Spokes since 82' Fizzaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boy-z, Ideeeho
    My Bikes
    87' Kuwahara, Hardrock, Trek Fuel SLR
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the works building a new monster this year, I'm resurrecting a past frame that's been sitting an early 2000's trek, I'm currently doing some up grades on my MTB which works out pertly so the winter beast can get the handle downs. I'm gonna full out this year since I bought some nokian extreme studded last year, and I plan on doing some winter time foothills riding.

  9. #9
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beastonabike View Post
    My everyday commuter rain or shine was my 2009 Kona Jake the Snake. I put 5000+ kms a year on it. Last year the welds right above the bott bracket snapped so that was the end of that frame. They sent me a 2014 Jake the Snake but it is set up with disc brakes o ly so I am stuck with a new frame and a set of old parts that don't fit. I miss my Jake.
    What size? I've got a 2013 Jake the Snake (non-disc) that I might be willing to trade if they happened to be the same size. Mine's a 53cm.

  10. #10
    Member beastonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    My Bikes
    30's Hercules, 72 Peugeot UO8, 66 Eatons Glider, 90 Cannondale SR800, 66 Bottecchia Campion de Monde, 09 Kona Jake the Snake, 78 Raliegh Sport
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    What size? I've got a 2013 Jake the Snake (non-disc) that I might be willing to trade if they happened to be the same size. Mine's a 53cm.
    I would take you up on that offer unfortunately I ride a 58cm and they shipped me a 59cm.

    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •