Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-08, 07:35 AM   #1
flyboy9503
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
organise protest against adult helmet law

has anyone organised a protest against the proposed bike helmet law. Those
that are against it should show up on parliament hill in toronto or ottawa.
We need to show a united front against it!
flyboy9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 07:45 AM   #2
bbgobie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't heard of it. Is this a mandatory law making helmets mandatory for everyone including adults?

Where do I sign up to support it?

Why would you not?
bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 02:30 PM   #3
J T CUNNINGHAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TORONTO , ONT , CA
Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Where do I sign up to support it?" QUOTE.

................. AND

Where do I sign up to OPPOSE IT!


Regards,
J T


Something called FREEDOM!
J T CUNNINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 02:32 PM   #4
skiracing
Senior Member
 
skiracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR 2 Composite
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few things...

1. Even if I was against this law I wouldn't protest it because you know it won't be enforced 99% of the time.
2. There are way more important issues that I or others don't protest about, so in other words, if I am going to protest about anything it better be more important than this issue.

Other than that I haven't even heard of this proposed change.

Also, you say protest on parliament hill in Ottawa or Toronto? I'm assuming this new law would fall under the Highway Traffic Act which is provincial jurisdiction so what does Ottawa have to do with it? If on the other hand this is going to be under the Criminal Code (impossible in my mind) than Toronto has NOTHING to do with it.

LASTLY, is this some sort of April Fools joke....?
skiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 04:07 PM   #5
J T CUNNINGHAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TORONTO , ONT , CA
Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"LASTLY, is this some sort of April Fools joke....?" QUOTE.


Could be, as it was posted during the A.M. (9:35)

Regards,
J T
J T CUNNINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 07:24 PM   #6
sweep242
Spy Member
 
sweep242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: k-town,On,Can.
Bikes: I have 4 of them,2 with fat tires & 2 with skinny tires & set of rollers
Posts: 1,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracing View Post
LASTLY, is this some sort of April Fools joke....?
I think YES.
But a great topic.
sweep242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 08:48 AM   #7
Bdaisies
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracing View Post
A few things...

1. Even if I was against this law I wouldn't protest it because you know it won't be enforced 99% of the time.
2. There are way more important issues that I or others don't protest about, so in other words, if I am going to protest about anything it better be more important than this issue.

Other than that I haven't even heard of this proposed change.

Also, you say protest on parliament hill in Ottawa or Toronto? I'm assuming this new law would fall under the Highway Traffic Act which is provincial jurisdiction so what does Ottawa have to do with it? If on the other hand this is going to be under the Criminal Code (impossible in my mind) than Toronto has NOTHING to do with it.

LASTLY, is this some sort of April Fools joke....?
It could be a joke... i wouldn't be surprised if it was not. This has been going on for a while now.

The idea being is that because we have a socialist health care system (which has already saved my life once, I'm not knocking it), then your fellow tax payers are footing the bill if you end up needing health care because you got into an accident that gave you brain damage. That's the gist of the ruling of Baljinder Badesh, the Sikh motorcyclist who didn't want to wear a helmet because it interfered with his choice to wear a turban for religious reasons.

I'm not going to protest this. I agree with Skiracing in general. It's your personal choice to wear a helmet, and whether the government makes it law or not, doesn't really make a difference to me. There are far, far worse injustices in our world.
Bdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 12:25 PM   #8
flyboy9503
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this posting was not a joke but rather a statement of your personal freedoms
going down the drain. you should have a choice whether to wear something
that can't even be proven to save your life but as a matter of fact can cause
rotational injuries to your head. see the web sites for those opposed to
helmets. this proposed law by john milloy makes it sound like this method
of exercise is unsafe. enough of our population have weight problems and
should not be discouraged from exercising. one adult in vancouver was
put in jail after not wearing his helmet and disregarding the judge's decision.
another person was jailed in australia for not wearing his helmet. are these
the types of situations we could happen in ontario. this government no longer
believes in the freedom of the people. just look at the laws for smokers. we
deserve more respect and freedom from the government.
flyboy9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 01:45 PM   #9
skiracing
Senior Member
 
skiracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR 2 Composite
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9503 View Post
this government no longer
believes in the freedom of the people. just look at the laws for smokers. we
deserve more respect and freedom from the government.
When I look at smokers I see a lot of the laws not working and many of the smokers having negative impact on those who choose to avoid smoking.

In any case, sure many laws can be seen as unjust but that is the price you pay for living in organized society, you can never fully satisfy the needs or wants of everyone so "sacrifices" have to be made.
skiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 03:59 PM   #10
J T CUNNINGHAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TORONTO , ONT , CA
Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"that is the price you pay for living in organized society, you can never fully satisfy the needs or wants of everyone so "sacrifices" have to be made." QUOTE.


The above quote sounds as if it came from "CENTRAL PLANNING", aka communism.


Reguards, (regards)
J T
J T CUNNINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 05:10 PM   #11
skiracing
Senior Member
 
skiracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR 2 Composite
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM View Post
"that is the price you pay for living in organized society, you can never fully satisfy the needs or wants of everyone so "sacrifices" have to be made." QUOTE.


The above quote sounds as if it came from "CENTRAL PLANNING", aka communism.


Reguards, (regards)
J T
Sure, you can interepret it that way. Communism is far left and "laissez faire" is far right, we are somewhere in middle so there are definetly "principles" of communism found in our society or to be more appealing and not get myself banned for being a commie, lets refer to it as "socialism".

Last edited by skiracing; 04-07-08 at 05:36 PM.
skiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 05:14 PM   #12
jpmartineau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal, QC (Canada)
Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM View Post
"Where do I sign up to support it?" QUOTE.

................. AND

Where do I sign up to OPPOSE IT!


Regards,
J T

Something called FREEDOM!
Freedom or natural selection?
jpmartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 05:25 PM   #13
Catweazle
Senior Member
 
Catweazle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9503 View Post
another person was jailed in australia for not wearing his helmet.
Excuse me? That's a load of ****!

Bicycle helmet laws here in Australia do not extend to allowing jail sentences for non-compliance. the penalty is a fine. Anybody receiving time spent incarcerated following incidents of not wearing bike helmets spent that time in jail for non-payment of fines, not for failing to wear a helmet!

You've spouted a myth perpetrated by "whacko" anti-helmet activists, and based upon an article written by an over-zealous journalist and included in the Times Educational Supplement back in 1998.



Adopting an anti-helmet stance is just plain silly. It's an exercise in promoting 'freedom of choice' to the extent that common sense is left hanging. Go strap a helmet on your head and bang your head into the pavement 100 time. Then remove the helmet and repeat the exercise.

Then, and ONLY then, you can start pontificating about how helmets don't help. IF you still don't think that they do!
Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:11 PM   #14
J T CUNNINGHAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TORONTO , ONT , CA
Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It appeares to me that a 'ted turner', type of sympathy

'resides',

upon these boards.


-30-
J T CUNNINGHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 11:45 AM   #15
dover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM View Post
"Where do I sign up to support it?" QUOTE.

................. AND

Where do I sign up to OPPOSE IT!


Regards,
J T


Something called FREEDOM!
Laws like this have to be put in place because the world has too many idiots who think that whenever someone makes a smart decision for them, that it means they are having their freedom taken away.
Not wearing a helmet is not a smart decision. just like the idiots who dont wear their helmets. thats why they had to make a seat belt law.

If you exercise your right to not wear a helmet, then you should forfit your right to health care if you sustain a head injury. Its simple! "you make your bed and you get to lay in it"
dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 02:55 PM   #16
Bdaisies
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read more bike forum posts as well as other anecdotes from other sources where people have said that a helmet has saved them or someone they knew from death or more serious injuries. I've never heard of anyone who's sustained injuries specifically because they were wearing a helmet.

Like i said before, I honestly could care less if any sort of law passes. I have nothing against people who don't want to wear helmets. It just won't affect me because wearing a helmet isn't a big deal. It's a small amount of insurance just in case i get into an accident that has the potential to inflict head injury. Protesting helmet laws, just like people protesting seatbelt laws, are a waste of time.
Bdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 02:58 PM   #17
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"if we could save one life, it will be worth it"

When you hear a politician say this, its time for a 'parody demonstration' demanding
helmet laws for car occupants.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 03:00 PM   #18
Bdaisies
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dover View Post

If you exercise your right to not wear a helmet, then you should forfit your right to health care if you sustain a head injury. Its simple! "you make your bed and you get to lay in it"
I agree with most of your post, but not necessarily with the bit i quoted. Reason being is because it's just a step away from people telling us that riding bicycles is a risk and if I get into an accident while riding a bike, I should forfeit my right to health care.
Bdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 06:14 PM   #19
Alphonso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: 2003 Trek 2000
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdaisies View Post
I agree with most of your post, but not necessarily with the bit i quoted. Reason being is because it's just a step away from people telling us that riding bicycles is a risk and if I get into an accident while riding a bike, I should forfeit my right to health care.
Depending on where you ride, riding a bicycle is a risk!
I never go out for a ride without my helmet. Dogs, cars, pedestrians, etc, all cause risks to riders.
Never take a bike ride for granted. I owe it to my family to take a precaution as simple as wearing a helmet, to prevent a lifetime of hardship for my loved ones.

I agree with a helmet being mandatory for riding on the road. Common sense should prevail.
Alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 07:31 AM   #20
Godwin
Not an internet law-maker
 
Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Bikes:
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You guys are behind the times. We've had a mandatory helmet law in Halifax for over 10 years now. Up until about last year an option was given to either pay over a hundred dollars or take a course in bicycle safety, now there is only a fine system and fines are given out regularly. It was shocking to see how many people didn't wear helmets when I visited Toronto last summer, it seemed strange. You'll get used to it.

This law is pretty much the parallel with the mandatory seat belt law, there is no good argument against it. The minuscule amount of personal freedom lost is still far outweighed by the small chance that you'll get into an accident and your helmet will save your life (and/or save you from being a vegetable, save your family and friends from emotional and financial burden, save the health care system thousands upon thousands of dollars).
Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 09:48 PM   #21
flyboy9503
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
banging your head doesn't sound sensible at all and neither does a piece of styrofoam over your head.
if you think this will save your life then you should try banging your head. if you want to wear a helmet
then go ahead. thiis is supposed to be a free country. statistics don't support the need for an
ineffective device and oddly enough they would support that car drivers should wear helmet and
pedestrians should wear helmets and you should wear a helmet to bed as many people die from
injuries from falling out of bed, more than on bicycles. i personally think the bicycle is a safe mode
of transport and that excercise is important to my health. don't discourage a good thing!
flyboy9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 05:41 AM   #22
Godwin
Not an internet law-maker
 
Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Bikes:
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9503 View Post
banging your head doesn't sound sensible at all and neither does a piece of styrofoam over your head.
if you think this will save your life then you should try banging your head. if you want to wear a helmet
then go ahead. thiis is supposed to be a free country. statistics don't support the need for an
ineffective device and oddly enough they would support that car drivers should wear helmet and
pedestrians should wear helmets and you should wear a helmet to bed as many people die from
injuries from falling out of bed, more than on bicycles. i personally think the bicycle is a safe mode
of transport and that excercise is important to my health.
don't discourage a good thing!
Heed your own advise. I've never heard anyone say that they were discouraged to ride because they needed to wear a helmet here. Your logic is faulty, many more people lie in bed from day to day than people who ride a bike.
Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 11:26 AM   #23
bbgobie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok man.
Lets be clear. Your freedom ends where someone elses start!

We have great freedoms here. doesn't mean your free to go shoot someone in the head does it? Should we have that freedom? If you think we should your on the wrong forum, and you probably need a lot of help.

You think smokers don't have enough freedom? Go smoke where ever the heck you want to, as long as I, nor anyone else, your kids and anyone else who has to breath air doesn't have to deal with your dirty habit. Everytime I see smokers throw out butts on the ground, out there car, I just wanna kick the ***** outta them. What gives them the freedom to litter? I'll dump my garbage on their lawn next time.

Reminder: YOUR FREEDOM stops WHERE MINE BEGIN.

Bike helmet? You don't wanna wear it? You think it doesnt do anything? NO problem, waive your right to OHIP and insurance if something happens. Sign a waiver. I don't wanna deal with your whinning and your problems when they happen.

Are you against seat belts? Traffic lights? Stop signs? Lets just all live like neanderthals?
Your FREE not to ride your bike.... Go walk if the helmet bothers you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy9503 View Post
banging your head doesn't sound sensible at all and neither does a piece of styrofoam over your head.
if you think this will save your life then you should try banging your head. if you want to wear a helmet
then go ahead. thiis is supposed to be a free country. statistics don't support the need for an
ineffective device and oddly enough they would support that car drivers should wear helmet and
pedestrians should wear helmets and you should wear a helmet to bed as many people die from
injuries from falling out of bed, more than on bicycles. i personally think the bicycle is a safe mode
of transport and that excercise is important to my health. don't discourage a good thing!
bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 11:36 AM   #24
boneshake
living with metabolic r8
 
boneshake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Some other planet
Bikes: Giant OCR
Posts: 5,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bbgobie said what I was about to say.

Feel free not to wear a helmet, but don't expect any taxpayer funds or insurance payments (since your claims will raise other people's rates) if you break your head open. That includes long-term disability insurance and welfare to support you or your family when you're a vegetable. You reimburse the fire department for the cost of the EMTs to come scrape you off the road.
boneshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 02:03 PM   #25
Bdaisies
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would still like to hear about the cases where helmets have actually done more harm than good. Whenever someone posts about an accident here on this board, I'm not hearing "if i was wearing a helmet, it would certainly have been worse" or "this person got brain injury/died because of their helmet"

More posts say "i'm glad i was wearing a helmet or else..."

And honestly, to reiterate I am neither for nor against helmet laws, i wear my helmet because it's my choice, but I don't really judge those who don't. However, I really want to see where helmets have done more harm than good as some anti-helmet supporters claim.
Bdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.