Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-08, 11:55 AM   #1
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
best bike trail near Montreal and Quebec

Greetings to my northern neighbors. My wife and I are planning a 2-3 week trip to your lovely country. We plan to visit Quebec and Montreal with visits to Mnt Tremblant and other nearby parks. Can some of you recommend some enjoyable bike trails or post some links. Thanks, Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 03:51 PM   #2
donheff
Senior Member
 
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to Le P'tit Train du Nord in August. That passes right by Mt Tremblant.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 06:21 PM   #3
FROryder
Senior Member
 
FROryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Bikes: 83 Marinoni, 91 Yeti FRO, 2000 Litespeed Blueridge, 94 Serotta legendTi, 2010 Curt Goodrich Sportif.
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This site link, http://www.routeverte.com/ang/ is also a excellent source for bike trails throughout Quebec.
FROryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:55 PM   #4
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement
 
Erick L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In Quebec City...

- "Corridor des Cheminots" (Route Verte #6), starting near the old port (jonction is under the viaducs before Domaine Maizerêt) and going about 100km northwest to Rivière-à-Pierre. The changes to "Piste Jacques-Cartier/Portneuf" and is crushed stone for the last 65km or so.

- You can ride east on the north shore to Montmorency falls on a bike path, and continue much further on a designated cycling route (in other words: a quiet road).

- You ride west on the north shore. Not sure how far it goes.

- Take the ferry to Levis and ride east or west. Really nice. Ferry was 2.70$ one-way last week.

If you're looking for MTB trails, check Mont-Ste-Anne. I don't do MTB so I can't help much but it's a MTB mecca with a annual world cup event so it must be good.
Erick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 11:07 PM   #5
jpmartineau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal, QC (Canada)
Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you bike touring? if you are, you could go from Montreal to Mont-Laurier (via Tremblant) and back. Then to Quebec and back to Montreal, all without leaving the bike trails...

Look up the Route Verte. Definitely worth it.
jpmartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:48 AM   #6
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you very much. I am printing out the posts. While I have your attention I was going to buy Moons book on both cities. Any other books? Can you recommend any good city street maps of this area?
I will not be touring as the wife will be with me. She bikes but does not carry the same passion for the sport as do I. Someday I hope to tour up there. In fact one of my goals is to tour from this region southward during the peak fall colors. I will ride until the weather turns or the leaves are gone.
Thanks, Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:38 AM   #7
adrien
Senior Member
 
adrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Charlie --

Used to live up there and will be in Montreal and then the Eastern townships next week.

Montreal has a great ride along the Lachine canal, which you can follow from old montreal all the way to lachine (maybe 20 miles or so) and back. You can also branch off it and go to the grand prix track and ride on a breakwater in the middle of the St Lawrence river.

PM me if you'd like to try to get together.
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 12:25 PM   #8
jpmartineau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal, QC (Canada)
Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Thank you very much. I am printing out the posts. While I have your attention I was going to buy Moons book on both cities. Any other books? Can you recommend any good city street maps of this area?
I will not be touring as the wife will be with me. She bikes but does not carry the same passion for the sport as do I. Someday I hope to tour up there. In fact one of my goals is to tour from this region southward during the peak fall colors. I will ride until the weather turns or the leaves are gone.
Thanks, Charlie
This book is a great resource for biking in Quebec. It lists all of the Bike paths of the Route Verte with decent city maps (always bike-oriented)
jpmartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:15 PM   #9
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
Charlie --

Used to live up there and will be in Montreal and then the Eastern townships next week.

Montreal has a great ride along the Lachine canal, which you can follow from old montreal all the way to lachine (maybe 20 miles or so) and back. You can also branch off it and go to the grand prix track and ride on a breakwater in the middle of the St Lawrence river.

PM me if you'd like to try to get together.
I won't be up there until late July. Will you still be there? Thanks for the Montreal bike routes. Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:16 PM   #10
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmartineau View Post
This book is a great resource for biking in Quebec. It lists all of the Bike paths of the Route Verte with decent city maps (always bike-oriented)
I will check this book out. 2nd member to point out this area, routeverte. Thaanks Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:35 PM   #11
adrien
Senior Member
 
adrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
I won't be up there until late July. Will you still be there? Thanks for the Montreal bike routes. Charlie
alas, no. this pesky need to make a living keeps messing with my plans.

that said, i'll be back by then so will think of you and do some reconaissance while up there next week.
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 06:58 AM   #12
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
alas, no. this pesky need to make a living keeps messing with my plans.

that said, i'll be back by then so will think of you and do some reconaissance while up there next week.
Please do and fill me in. work does get in the way of living
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 09:13 PM   #13
RHoude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Greetings to my northern neighbors. My wife and I are planning a 2-3 week trip to your lovely country. We plan to visit Quebec and Montreal with visits to Mnt Tremblant and other nearby parks. Can some of you recommend some enjoyable bike trails or post some links. Thanks, Charlie
Hi Charlie,

You may want to check out the Bike & Boat approach. You bike, she cruises (and maybe bikes a little).

The P'tit Train du Nord bike path is a definite, especially if you are in Mt-Tremblant. There is a bike path network that connects the P'tit Train du Nord trail to the Intrawest Mt-Tremblant village complex. There are many choices of accomodations.

There is a really nice loop in Quebec City that runs down the St-Lawrence River (Corridor du Littoral) then Route Verte to Donnacona, then up the Jacques-Cartier River to Pont-Rouge, then Dansereau Park trail to St-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier then back to Quebec City via the Corridor des Cheminots trail (dowhill to Quebec City for 24 km)

We just biked from Quebec City to Portneuf on the Route Verte and the ride was fantastic.

Another interesting ride in Quebec City is the St-Charles River Cycling trail. You go up one side of the river, then come back down the other.

Ron
__________________
Ronald (Ron) Houde
Living Life at 16km/hr, the ultimate Canada bike vacation
Seeing Less, Seeing Better, Living Happier
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way
RHoude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 02:19 PM   #14
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoude View Post
Hi Charlie,

You may want to check out the Bike & Boat approach. You bike, she cruises (and maybe bikes a little).

The P'tit Train du Nord bike path is a definite, especially if you are in Mt-Tremblant. There is a bike path network that connects the P'tit Train du Nord trail to the Intrawest Mt-Tremblant village complex. There are many choices of accomodations.

There is a really nice loop in Quebec City that runs down the St-Lawrence River (Corridor du Littoral) then Route Verte to Donnacona, then up the Jacques-Cartier River to Pont-Rouge, then Dansereau Park trail to St-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier then back to Quebec City via the Corridor des Cheminots trail (dowhill to Quebec City for 24 km)

We just biked from Quebec City to Portneuf on the Route Verte and the ride was fantastic.

Another interesting ride in Quebec City is the St-Charles River Cycling trail. You go up one side of the river, then come back down the other.

Ron
Thanks Ron
Another question for everyone. We will be in B&Bs/hotels and similar places. How are they(generally) for taking our bikes? Safe to leave outside?? In our rooms?? What is the norm(not that I am normal). Thanks again. departure day is coming up. charlie
EDIT: bike tour looks interesting

Last edited by balto charlie; 07-08-08 at 02:22 PM. Reason: adding info
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 08:10 AM   #15
RHoude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 400 + Gazelle Medeo
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Thanks Ron
Another question for everyone. We will be in B&Bs/hotels and similar places. How are they(generally) for taking our bikes? Safe to leave outside?? In our rooms?? What is the norm(not that I am normal). Thanks again. departure day is coming up. charlie
EDIT: bike tour looks interesting
Hi Charlie,

One way to ensure your bikes get treated as well as you is to look for the 'Bienvenue Cyclistes' (i.e. Welcome Cyclists) certification of the Inn or B&B. The places that have this certification garantee they will have a secure and dry place to put your bike away. Sometimes, this means they will allow you to take your bike in your room (as in the Delta hotel in Trois-Rivieres). In many cases, a locked storage area will be available.

More information on the Bienvenue Cyclistes certification can be found on the Vélo-Québec web site (http://www.routeverte.com/rv/index_e...enuecycliste_e)

Best,
Ron
__________________
Ronald (Ron) Houde
Living Life at 16km/hr, the ultimate Canada bike vacation
Seeing Less, Seeing Better, Living Happier
Cycling Vacation the Bike & Boat Way
RHoude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:28 AM   #16
Freakin'Chickin
Senior Member
 
Freakin'Chickin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Val-d'Or in winter, Radisson in the summertime
Bikes: 97 Rocky Mountain Whistler commuter/tourer - 04 Devinci Phantom hardtail - 89 Italo-Japanese road bike - 2010 Pivot Mach 429 29er - Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fatbike
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would also recommand a tour in the Montérégie region, lots of cycling paths, a great network of B&B's, great scenery, almost infinite road combinations. Can get pretty hilly though but there a a big number of little villages here and there where you can stop for the night, or enjoy a fresh pastry with an espresso. You can find lots of info on the Route verte site http://www.Routeverte.com

If you want more info on that region, I'll be glad to give you more!

Caro
Freakin'Chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 12:22 PM   #17
balto charlie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well folks I returned and rode many of the the trails you guys suggested
Different parts of Route Verte, Jacque Cartier, P'tit train du Nord, Lachine Canal, Montreal bike paths, St. Charles River, Ile d'Orleans and some others. Excellent cycling. Quebec is such a beautiful city and Montreal is a real funky place that is truly a cycling town(loved the tom-toms). Weather was great even with the daily deluge. Mostly sunny and 75F/25C. People were friendly, microbrews tasty, flowers everywhere!! The drivers(in Montreal) were very respectful and courteous to cyclist. I shall return. I want to thank all of you for helping make my trip so enjoyable. Merci, Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 12:04 PM   #18
noteon 
Drops small screws
 
noteon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Bikes: Heavily modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL that's been turned into a brevet bike, two 20" Torker Interurbans
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I'll be in Montreal with my bike this weekend, and I'm printing out the Route Verte info.
__________________
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Learning to wrench better this year—current project: Fixie from build kit
noteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.