Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-08, 03:08 PM   #1
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Some questions about East Canada/New Brunswick region

Heading from Scandinavia to East Canada next year, looking forward!
If you could answer one or two of my questions i be happy..


- Is it easy to find cleaned-fuel for my burner? Is that something i can expect to find in a ordinary gas station?

- How easy is it to find a free wireless network, can i expect to find it in towns sized like St.John, Charlottetown, Moncton, Riviere-du Loup?

- Is Cyclesmith the biggest bike store in Scotia Nova?

- I guess normal cheap price for a one way ticket is around 1000$ from England to Halifax in mai, june? Or is it alternative cheaper flights/destinations in the area? Maybe any boats from Ireland or England crossing?

- Do you have any poisonous fishes in your fresh water? What is the size and what type of fish do you normally catch when you fish in saltwater from land?

- Does it exist poisonous snakes in the nature between Halifax-Montreal-Sault.Ste Marie?

- What is the cheapest town to sleep, eat, etc of Quebec, Montreal or Toronto?

- What is the price for a beer on a pub when you get outside the large cities?

Last edited by LitePacking; 09-25-08 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot a question..forgot a sign
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 08:29 PM   #2
jaddle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are a few answers... maybe someone else can help with some of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- How easy is it to find a free wireless network, can i expect to find it in towns sized like St.John, Charlottetown, Moncton, Riviere-du Loup?
I don't know about the others, but Fredericton has free Wifi throughout downtown.

Quote:
- I guess normal cheap price for a one way ticket is around 1000$ from England to Halifax in mai, june? Or is it alternative cheaper flights/destinations in the area? Maybe any boats from Ireland or England crossing?
There's a special weekly flight from Gatwick (London) to Fredericton for about $500. Worth looking into! I don't know how late in the year it runs though, since it's mainly a tourist thing. http://www.fredericton.ca/en/visitor...9UKFlights.asp has some info and a link where you can buy tickets.

Quote:
- Do you have any poisonous fishes in your fresh water? What is the size and what type of fish do you normally catch when you fish in saltwater from land?
I've never heard of any poisonous fish in the fresh water. I don't know much about fishing, especially salt water, but I know of people catching flounder and pollock from shore. There are several very different bits of water around New Brunswick - frigid water and high tides in the Bay of Fundy, and much warmer water in the Baie des Chaleurs and Northumberland Strait.

Quote:
- Does it exist poisonous snakes in the nature between Halifax-Montreal-Sault.Ste Marie?
Nope!
jaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 06:21 PM   #3
andreg
Junior Member
 
andreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Bikes: Specialized Allez; Miele Corsica
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- Is it easy to find cleaned-fuel for my burner? Is that something i can expect to find in a ordinary gas station?
Actually, you are likely to find burner fuel in most gas station, although they may not be in a practical size. Hardware stores (e.g. Canadian Tire, Home Hardware) sell burner fuel in small easy-to-carry tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- Do you have any poisonous fishes in your fresh water? What is the size and what type of fish do you normally catch when you fish in saltwater from land?
Well, we don't have poisonous fishes, but keep in mind that fishing might be closed or not recommended in some areas. As well, some fishes, like salmon, require a fishing permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- Does it exist poisonous snakes in the nature between Halifax-Montreal-Sault.Ste Marie?
Not that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- What is the price for a beer on a pub when you get outside the large cities?
Generally, beer in a 341 ml bottle is sold between 3 and 5 dollars CDN.
andreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:08 PM   #4
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
thanks for good helping so far..

Thanks for all tips, helps me a lot those specific answers!
If you have points and thoughts about this issues i would like to hear anything!


Have to pay to fish a 1 salmon if iam lucky in the Atlantic? But who cares? Its not me that empty the ocean its the big boats. We also have a small fee in Scandinavia..iam not sure..its only 20$ if its exist.., i do it for daily eating for a specific period and i dont waste anything.. Paranoid Nazi if you ask me, the ones that catch the amount is the greedy international industry. Where do i buy this "certificate"?

What is WI-Fi? Does it mean that you could be online with a normal PC anywhere in that that city and you dont need anything extra?

Does it exist waters that are poisoned in this part of canada? Do you calk waters as they do in Sweden and Norway to get rid of small fishes that do harm or is it radioactive from some kind of a blast?

In Scandinavia we have something called "camp where you want for two days above the wood -line and camp for as long as you wish.." I dont matter if its privat or government or whatever. And we dont have 1 single problem with this. If somebody goes into my property and camp i would love it if they just dont leave garbage.

If you need help about Scandinavia, Denmark, Norway, Sweden feel free to PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 05:19 PM   #5
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
And i hope this is a joke:

- What is the price for a beer on a pub when you get outside the large cities?
Generally, beer in a 341 ml bottle is sold between 3 and 5 dollars CDN.

You have quality beer 0,5 dont you? for 3-5$ on a pub in the field?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 07:02 PM   #6
Leo1903
Leo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Specialist Tricross Sport & Norco Hybrid
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
- Does it exist poisonous snakes in the nature between Halifax-Montreal-Sault.Ste Marie?
Ontario has one type of poisonous snake...the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. Not sure about other provinces.

http://www.publichealthgreybruce.on....attlesnake.htm
Leo1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 08:15 PM   #7
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1903 View Post
Ontario has one type of poisonous snake...the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. Not sure about other provinces.

http://www.publichealthgreybruce.on....attlesnake.htm
Intresting! Thanks for good information about this one. I dont fear him but again thanks for accurate and information about him and good information about snake bit in general in that article..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 03:38 AM   #8
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement
 
Erick L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm no fisherman but I know you need a permit to fish anything in Quebec and I'm pretty sure you need a special permit for salmon. Some rivers might be catch & release only because yes, some rivers have had population go down due to sport fishing.

There are no poisonous anything that I know of. What people are scared of in the bush are bears. They aren't poisonous but they might eat you.

If by burner gas, you mean naphta or white gas, as it's called here, you'll find that in every Canadian Tire in 1 or 4 liter cans. It's also called Coleman fuel. You might find it in gas station or sporting goods store in smaller towns.
Erick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 04:16 PM   #9
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for information.

If you dont mind, i have a couple of more weird questions:

If you use a gas stove in Canada, where can you get rid of the empty bottles when you tour? So far i have stored all of the empty ones in my home..

Is there any place on the internet where you can come in contact with people around Toronto?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 03:10 AM   #10
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was about to ask if this was some sort of troll but LP is a senior member. I'll try to answer some questions here then.

First off, what sort of stove are you talking about? Second, you don't have metal recycling in whichever Scandinavian country you're from???

Third, you're in contact with someone from Toronto right now so I guess BikeForums is one way of doing it? Or were you thinking of something else?

Fourth, wireless networks usually uses Wi-Fi technology. There are other alternatives but I doubt very much that you'll be able to easily use those without signing up with service providers.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 04:55 PM   #11
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
I was about to ask if this was some sort of troll but LP is a senior member. I'll try to answer some questions here then.

First off, what sort of stove are you talking about? Second, you don't have metal recycling in whichever Scandinavian country you're from???

Third, you're in contact with someone from Toronto right now so I guess BikeForums is one way of doing it? Or were you thinking of something else?

Fourth, wireless networks usually uses Wi-Fi technology. There are other alternatives but I doubt very much that you'll be able to easily use those without signing up with service providers.
Hello my little "Troll"


First i was talking about a fuel stove, second i was talking about a gas stove.

Yes we have recycling in Norway as in many other countries. I was just a little unsure where to throw gas boxes in Canada to do it correct. Do you have official containers that accept gas boxes in centre of all towns, where do i find them? I use a lot of gas, and i pack light so i was just wondering how to get rid of them correctly. Is there any special handling when it comes to a gas-box that maybe includes fragments of gas and is under pressure etc..

Yes i have noticed bike forums.., i was just wondering if there was "local" place on the net where i could hook up with a daily more average youth from the biggest cities ,like Toronto that not had to be cycling people.

Just hoped that it worked the same way in Canada as it does in Norway, most medium and big towns there is free networks in the areas that is trafficked by the nightlife/popular places/Coffee bars, its just to log on with your airport, wi-fi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 03:48 PM   #12
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, your second stove question relates to one of those butane canister ones? First stove question relates to stoves that use what is called white gas (but is a liquid) or Coleman fuel? I don't know how butane canisters are recycled over here and each jurisdiction is different.

If you use a lot of fuel for cooking then you may be better off using a liquid fuel stove.

As for finding more youth on the 'Net, you could try Couchsurfing.

As for Wi-Fi, it works about the same way as in Norway then. There are numerous wirelss hotspots and they can be free or paid-spots.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 01:03 PM   #13
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement
 
Erick L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think the "gas stove" you're talking about refers to what we call "canister" stove. Calling it "gas" may lead to confusion since liquid fuel can usually take gasoline (gas). Can't help with your questions though, sorry.
Erick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 01:08 PM   #14
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement
 
Erick L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just to make it clear:

White gas, naphta, Coleman fuel: refillable bottles, needs pumping. The multi-fuel models can usually be used with plain unleaded gasoline (and kerosen).
Canister: One-time use, no pumping. See photo. I've never used them and don't know where to recycle the canister.
Erick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 10:50 AM   #15
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick L View Post
Just to make it clear:

White gas, naphta, Coleman fuel: refillable bottles, needs pumping. The multi-fuel models can usually be used with plain unleaded gasoline (and kerosen).
Canister: One-time use, no pumping. See photo. I've never used them and don't know where to recycle the canister.
So thats what you call it..
Yeps! Its the Canister iam talking about.
Ive figured out that i dont want to mess around with the fuel for different reasons. I also was thinkin about multifuel but if its so important that the few multifuels burners that exist must have unleaded clean fuel thats now point either.
I go for Canister because easy to adjust the flame, no gasolin on my hands, no pumping while i have to concentrate on the food making process, less maintence and less danger.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 11:30 AM   #16
TimsterT.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Lite, I am from Toronto. Beer is more like 5 bucks for a bottle and 7 or 8 for a pint. The ride from Montreal is very nice follow this guys route, I have several times and it is great. http://www.hedney.com/bike.htm

Happy to answer any Toronto questions you might have!
TimsterT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 02:59 PM   #17
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsterT. View Post
Hey Lite, I am from Toronto. Beer is more like 5 bucks for a bottle and 7 or 8 for a pint. The ride from Montreal is very nice follow this guys route, I have several times and it is great. http://www.hedney.com/bike.htm

Happy to answer any Toronto questions you might have!
7-8 for a pint is ok, since its half of the price compared to my home.

Also wondering about the rules for european to cross the border into us when riding in the quebec/ontario area. Do i as a friendly european/scandinavian without any guns or harm need any special permission to do that? Does canadians need any special permission?
And is it something that is worth crossing the boarder for up there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 06:05 PM   #18
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitePacking View Post
7-8 for a pint is ok, since its half of the price compared to my home.

Also wondering about the rules for european to cross the border into us when riding in the quebec/ontario area. Do i as a friendly european/scandinavian without any guns or harm need any special permission to do that? Does canadians need any special permission?
And is it something that is worth crossing the boarder for up there?
Why would you want to cross into the northern US states when you're already in god's country
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:17 AM   #19
LitePacking
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Never been in the US, just wanted to see if tinges is different across the border.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 12:57 PM   #20
TimsterT.
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Canadians now need passports to cross, I would assume you could get across with one too. The US border gaurds look at you like you are crazy when you are on a bike, but I havent had any trouble getting in. Do it, things are different! No point in being so close and not seeing it. I do agree with Alfster, but live and learn. US government web site would tell you for sure what the deal is but quite sure that EU folks dont need any visas.
TimsterT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 12:19 PM   #21
kenkayak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Phippsburg,Me.
Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is not fun at the border between usa and canada try to avoid it except as a one time thing./Kenkayak
kenkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 12:23 PM   #22
kenkayak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Phippsburg,Me.
Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OH and I agree with Alfster/Kenkayak
kenkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 08:41 PM   #23
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsterT. View Post
Canadians now need passports to cross, I would assume you could get across with one too. The US border gaurds look at you like you are crazy when you are on a bike, but I havent had any trouble getting in. Do it, things are different! No point in being so close and not seeing it. I do agree with Alfster, but live and learn. US government web site would tell you for sure what the deal is but quite sure that EU folks dont need any visas.
Actually, until June 1, 2009, Canadians only need proof of citizenship to cross by land or sea (ie: birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport as proof of citizenship). Passports are required when flying. Here's the link for Canadian documentation requirements when crossing into the US:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs....i=&p_topview=1
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.