Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Toronto Ride for heart weekend

    whoooooooo! time to bust out my daily commuter and use it on the highway for fun! I just hope it doesn't rain sunday! forecast isn't playing nice.

  2. #2
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, it'll rain.
    bring a rain coat
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  3. #3
    Conquer Cancer rider Boudicca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forecast is rain.

    But then what do the forecasters know?
    Zero gallons to the mile

  4. #4
    Northern Rider nondes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year was damp too - and cool,cloudy and windy the year before. Time we had a fine day for the event.

  5. #5
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forecast is for 10mm of rain and 15 degrees!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well..... at least we will not overheat!
    I'm going to get a plastic bag on my rack trunk.

  7. #7
    Guitar Master Crappymonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Parkdale, Toronto
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, wet and windy but it was still a good time. I didn't start till just before 9:00 so the rain was almost over by then

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left around 8:30 or so the rain was just whipping in your face luckily I'm wearing glasses just needed wipers on them. But on the return trip at the halfway point we all dried up quickly from the riding besides my squishy shoes. by the time we where leaving the skies where beautiful and sunny seems like it was taunting us. All in all it was awesome.

    did the entire 50km run in under 3 hrs on my strida 5.0 heh. was able to easily pass people on the uphill but lose to them on the downhill with my single speedness. I thought I was weird until some eccentric on a unicycle passed me uphill!!! never caught up to him again! besides that guy there was some weird 2x2 recumbent setup like a car two in front two behind with a bionx setup. wish I had a picture. I'm always checking out folders was very few of them like 1 brompton, 1 dahon mu, 1 avenir type folder. and 2-3 no names.

    http://rnkpr.com/a6g0nl - the first 1km was messed up cause I started it indoors (didn't want to get my iphone wet)

  9. #9
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappymonkey View Post
    Cool, wet and windy but it was still a good time. I didn't start till just before 9:00 so the rain was almost over by then
    It was pouring rain 7-8am. Was there a fatality? Saw somebody having CPR performed on them...

  10. #10
    Conquer Cancer rider Boudicca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Posts
    5,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys were lucky.

    Started at just before 7 the rain, and it just got wetter and colder. We hit the decision point for 50 vs 75km at around 9, and even though the rain had just about stopped by then, it was a no brainer. Back to the start for 50km rather than the planned-for 75km.

    I was amazed not to see accidents.
    Zero gallons to the mile

  11. #11
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azreal911 View Post
    I left around 8:30 or so the rain was just whipping in your face luckily I'm wearing glasses just needed wipers on them. But on the return trip at the halfway point we all dried up quickly from the riding besides my squishy shoes. by the time we where leaving the skies where beautiful and sunny seems like it was taunting us. All in all it was awesome.

    did the entire 50km run in under 3 hrs on my strida 5.0 heh. was able to easily pass people on the uphill but lose to them on the downhill with my single speedness. I thought I was weird until some eccentric on a unicycle passed me uphill!!! never caught up to him again! besides that guy there was some weird 2x2 recumbent setup like a car two in front two behind with a bionx setup. wish I had a picture. I'm always checking out folders was very few of them like 1 brompton, 1 dahon mu, 1 avenir type folder. and 2-3 no names.

    http://rnkpr.com/a6g0nl - the first 1km was messed up cause I started it indoors (didn't want to get my iphone wet)
    I saw that oddball 2x2 recumbent quite early, within the first 1km.
    coming back down from the turn around point was fantastic this year.

    lots of tail wind and not too wet so it was quite easy to hit, my guess, 50km/h
    Last edited by AEO; 06-06-10 at 07:22 PM.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  12. #12
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    You guys were lucky.

    Started at just before 7 the rain, and it just got wetter and colder. We hit the decision point for 50 vs 75km at around 9, and even though the rain had just about stopped by then, it was a no brainer. Back to the start for 50km rather than the planned-for 75km.

    I was amazed not to see accidents.
    Saw a couple small ones, apparently there was a pile up at one of the later general starts w/ firetrucks and everything... didn't see any crashing at the turn-around - a few close calls though.

    Also why on earth was there roadkill at the turn-around? mmm roadkill water, i bet that thing(whatever it was) was runover by 1/3 of everybody riding!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Saw a couple small ones, apparently there was a pile up at one of the later general starts w/ firetrucks and everything... didn't see any crashing at the turn-around - a few close calls though.

    Also why on earth was there roadkill at the turn-around? mmm roadkill water, i bet that thing(whatever it was) was runover by 1/3 of everybody riding!

    hahah yeah I saw that roadkill also. seems like others after the ride where talking about it also. makes things interesting. Also yeah the ride back was amazing with a strong tailwind while going there uphill was just headwind, I felt the life get sucked out from me there.

  14. #14
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that road kill too
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  15. #15
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm dressed in riding gear at 6AM in my basement, topping up the tires when I hear the sound of running water. The south half of the my basement is filling with water. So I bail and mop and re-sealed a cinder block wall rather than riding.

    This was the first ride for heart I've missed since 1995.

    I'm going to be grumpy all week.

  16. #16
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike shoes are still damp from yesterday. I came up from NYC to do the ride and didn't bother bringing any wet weather gear so I threw some wool socks and a wool zip-up on and got wet, but stayed warm. After the ride, I saw a CP24 poll that said 81% of respondents think cyclists should stay off major roads and highways when doing charity rides. This is in contrast to the first time the ride was ever sold out and the $3M raised for charity. Oh well, we raised it for them since they were probably sitting in traffic fuming and about to stroke out when they responded to the poll.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyossarian View Post
    My bike shoes are still damp from yesterday. I came up from NYC to do the ride and didn't bother bringing any wet weather gear so I threw some wool socks and a wool zip-up on and got wet, but stayed warm. After the ride, I saw a CP24 poll that said 81% of respondents think cyclists should stay off major roads and highways when doing charity rides. This is in contrast to the first time the ride was ever sold out and the $3M raised for charity. Oh well, we raised it for them since they were probably sitting in traffic fuming and about to stroke out when they responded to the poll.
    I don't even know why they complain since it's only out for the morning on a sunday for once a year. The don valley was shut down for 2-3 weekends already this year just from construction so this is nothing. These are probably the type of people that complain about marathons closing roads too. And the poll cp24 did was mostly to keep off major highways not roads I guess. I checked the polls and we're also talking about the 3500 who voted against vs the 13,000 people that attends the event so the point is pretty moot of whether it's good to have such fun things. Heck having no cars clogging up the highway for one morning is very refreshing!

    http://www.cp24.com/servlet/HTMLTemp...=CTVNewsCPHome

    I always wanted to do that 5 borough bike tour you guys have probably next year, and they close off major highways too I think .

  18. #18
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but no one asks motorists what they think about the 5BBT closing down the highways and bridges. The MS tour in the fall also closes down the two highways (FDR/Harlem River and Henry Hudson/West Side Hwy) in Manhattan so people can circle the island traffic free. It's only 30 miles around Manhattan, but there's 60 and 100 mile routes available that take you out to NJ for some hill climbing. That one's for charity and again, no one asks motorists what they think because no one gives a flying f*ck.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  19. #19
    Single-serving poster electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just local media, recently they've been feeding the anti-bike, anti-chairty and anti-everything types.

    13,000 people "driving" the gardiner and dvp on a sunday is a pretty fair use of the road!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •