Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks/1000 Islands
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.3
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Areas north of Kingston

    Been looking at some maps and this looks like a great area to ride. Anyone familiar with the area?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few (and longer) paths as you head north towards Ottawa. What kind of information are you looking for?

  3. #3
    Conquer Cancer rider Boudicca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Posts
    5,790
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is good riding there -- my club does weekends there every few years, and there are lots of quiet roads. Don't have the maps to hand, but you can probably find stuff online.
    Zero gallons to the mile

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks/1000 Islands
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.3
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    There is good riding there -- my club does weekends there every few years, and there are lots of quiet roads. Don't have the maps to hand, but you can probably find stuff online.
    I found a bunch of maps online. Someone else had mentioned the roads were very narrow with little or no shoulder. Sounds like the traffic isn't too heavy so it shouldn't be a problem. Guess I just need to go and see. Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gump View Post
    I found a bunch of maps online. Someone else had mentioned the roads were very narrow with little or no shoulder. Sounds like the traffic isn't too heavy so it shouldn't be a problem. Guess I just need to go and see. Thanks
    I often use Google streetsview to check out what the roads look like.

    I haven't been on the roads north of Kingston myself, but can confirm that riding east of Kingston along St. Lawrence River is very nice. Especially past Gananoque where there's a paved trail alngside 1000 Islands Parkway.
    Also, riding along Ottawa River is great, especially on Ontario side.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks/1000 Islands
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.3
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucille View Post
    I often use Google streetsview to check out what the roads look like.

    I haven't been on the roads north of Kingston myself, but can confirm that riding east of Kingston along St. Lawrence River is very nice. Especially past Gananoque where there's a paved trail alngside 1000 Islands Parkway.
    Also, riding along Ottawa River is great, especially on Ontario side.
    Thanks, We are going to do the loop from Cape Vincent NY to Kingston, Gananoque, TI bridge later this fall.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gump View Post
    Thanks, We are going to do the loop from Cape Vincent NY to Kingston, Gananoque, TI bridge later this fall.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. We just did the Canadian part of it (for the second time), so if you have any questions, don't be shy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks/1000 Islands
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.3
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may do the Wolfe Island trip this Saturday. Thinking about going up Gananaque for lunch.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, enjoy!

    When you're getting out of Kingston, there's a spot just past Fort Henry that the road goes a bit uphill, there's no shoulder and traffic was quite heavy when we were there. There was a strip of pavement on the side of sidewalk that's separated from road by gutter. Not sure if we were supposed to be on that, but traffic was a bit unnerving, so we took it. It gets better not much later.

    And if you decide to go a bit further past Gananoque, the road splits and goes to Hwy 2 and Hwy 401 to the left, and 1000 Islands Parkway straight through. You want to take the Parkway, it will also be marked with the Waterfront Trail symbol. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/

  10. #10
    Senior Member Gump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks/1000 Islands
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.3
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucille View Post
    Sounds great, enjoy!

    When you're getting out of Kingston, there's a spot just past Fort Henry that the road goes a bit uphill, there's no shoulder and traffic was quite heavy when we were there. There was a strip of pavement on the side of sidewalk that's separated from road by gutter. Not sure if we were supposed to be on that, but traffic was a bit unnerving, so we took it. It gets better not much later.

    And if you decide to go a bit further past Gananoque, the road splits and goes to Hwy 2 and Hwy 401 to the left, and 1000 Islands Parkway straight through. You want to take the Parkway, it will also be marked with the Waterfront Trail symbol. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/
    Thanks for the info. Last time we were over we road about 5 miles out of Kingston and I recall that hill with the traffic, just a little spooky.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •