Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-15, 03:27 PM   #1
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER
Thread Starter
 
merckx_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My New Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike



First, I'd like to thank the member that brought this bike to my attention. I'd never heard of Equalizer Bikes before. I've been researching fat ebikes since I first found out about them. I was planning a purchase this year and then here it was. This company is local to me so I got my bike delivered already to ride. Thumbs up on the service, and the reason I'm taking time to write this to kind of pay it forward to others looking for a bike like this.

I've had it now for over a week (10 days). I ride it daily. I've gone on 3 different rides worth mentioning, long for some, a warm up for others, but for an electric bike with battery left over on each ride, pretty impressive: 42.9, 37.4, 48.7 miles each ride. I did it in each mode, bike has 3 - ECO, Normal & POWER.

Power Mode Ride: 42.9 miles. Start voltage = 53.9 volts, End voltage = 44.7, Average Speed over 20 MPH, Top Speed: 23 MPH. ONE of FIVE Power Bars Remaining on the Dash. I pedaled but was never at full effort on the out leg, used the motor mostly on the home leg. The ride home was after sunset, I used the headlight on the river trail (no streetlights) worked great. Light up dash board was so cool at night.

Normal Mode Ride: 37.4 miles Start voltage = 54 volts, End voltage = 48.5, Average Speed around 20 MPH, Top Speed: 23 MPH. TWO of FIVE Power Bars Remaining on the Dash.

ECO Mode Ride: 48.7 miles Start voltage = 54 volts, End voltage = 47.9, Average Speed 17.5 MPH, Top Speed: 23 MPH. TWO of FIVE Power Bars Remaining on the Dash.

As for ride quality, this bike is amazing. It's big - no doubt about it, with a 52 inch wheel base and 80 inches end to end. Tall also, I can see over small cars easily... great for riding in traffic. It doesn't ride like a bike this size. I was in the park riding with a buddy and we were whipping through some really tight corners. He was on his high dollar mountain bike telling me I wouldn't be able to keep up with him. Not so, I was right there in every turn and in the straights I'd dust him - I do have 500 watts helping me so not a race but more of a test of ability. Bike rides great. I have to attribute it to the low slung battery placement. After he tried it out he said he couldn't feel the weight of the battery either - he wouldn't take my word for it.

Fit and finish: I have to say that everyone that sees this bike is impressed. The only other thing that got me this much attention was my brand new motorcycle 20 years ago. People attract to this bike like a magnet. What is it? Who makes it? How much? Where can i get one? In that order. This bike looks great and runs like a top. The paint is thick, and after I gave it a coat of wax it was beautiful.

OK, so compared to the other ebikes I've tried out:
This bike blows them away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every other fat ebike is mountain bike style with flat bars and hunched over positioning.
This is the only one that was a cruiser style, I'm getting to a point with the racing bike position phase of my life. My wrists, shoulders and neck don't bother me at all on this bike. Making longer rides and day trips more fun again. The huge difference is I can load this bike up with all kinds of gear and food and drinks and it's not top heavy like all the others with the battery over the wheels or down tubes. The balance on this bike is so good I forget it's electric.

Disc brakes are almost too good. The bike stops before I do. Can easily lock the rear wheel on dry pavement.

Power is right there. Pedal assist works like magic. This is my new favorite way to get around. I'm really afraid that I will not ride my other bikes anymore. The spoiler? That thumb throttle!! Need a boost to get over a hill or pass a car in traffic and boom there it is, full power. WARNING: THROTTLE ON BIKES IS ADDICTIVE.

I plan on doing some updates as I have it for longer. If anyone has questions I'm happy to answer. I'm very happy so far. I give this bike very high ratings.

Here's where I got it from: Equalizer Electric Bicycles
electric-fat-tire-bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_fat_tire_bike.jpg (106.3 KB, 35 views)
merckx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 09:04 AM   #2
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
The numbers sure look interesting, as the distance is up there, to not have range anxiety...
350htrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 12:32 PM   #3
SpecialX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love the miles and speed achievement.
Great numbers, good looking bike.. But $3,500+ is what you pay.. Not necessarily a bad thing, goes to show that you get what you pay for.
The only thing I really don't like is that battery placement/connector.. I bought my son a bike with that kind of setup and after a while when he would hit a small pothole or the bike would bump a lot, that battery box would jump out of the connections temporarily, so I had to rig up a bolt down system... Maybe this bike has one of those, I can't tell from the pics.

On the other side of things tho, for less than 1/2 the price, (IF you have the time and some DIY skills) you can easily beat those numbers..
Case and point: built up my "fat tire bike" and have ~60 mile range with a 20mph speed (when on "slow" mode) with no pedaling...
Of course on "medium mode" 22mph capable, I get about 55 miles and on high power mode, 26mph capable and a 50 mile range.

Bike is an OCC (electric) chopper bike ($250), changed out controller/motor to 48v (25a / 3speed mode) 1000w system ($300), changed battery to a 48v 30ah ($750) added a bunch of electronics and a big (wood) box on the back to hold everything / frame to hold up box ($300).
Total cost of $1600 for my speed/range capabilities.

Last edited by SpecialX; 05-04-15 at 12:38 PM.
SpecialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 03:17 PM   #4
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialX View Post
Love the miles and speed achievement.
Great numbers, good looking bike.. But $3,500+ is what you pay.. Not necessarily a bad thing, goes to show that you get what you pay for.
The only thing I really don't like is that battery placement/connector.. I bought my son a bike with that kind of setup and after a while when he would hit a small pothole or the bike would bump a lot, that battery box would jump out of the connections temporarily, so I had to rig up a bolt down system... Maybe this bike has one of those, I can't tell from the pics.

On the other side of things tho, for less than 1/2 the price, (IF you have the time and some DIY skills) you can easily beat those numbers..
Case and point: built up my "fat tire bike" and have ~60 mile range with a 20mph speed (when on "slow" mode) with no pedaling...
Of course on "medium mode" 22mph capable, I get about 55 miles and on high power mode, 26mph capable and a 50 mile range.

Bike is an OCC (electric) chopper bike ($250), changed out controller/motor to 48v (25a / 3speed mode) 1000w system ($300), changed battery to a 48v 30ah ($750) added a bunch of electronics and a big (wood) box on the back to hold everything / frame to hold up box ($300).
Total cost of $1600 for my speed/range capabilities.
And how much did you spend on the other e-bikes you built before this last one that you are so happy with? I think you need to include the learning curve cost too... Not just the end result of the build it yourself final result that I suspect most people don't/wouldn't get on their first build... To people who don't want to tinker 3,500$ can be well worth the end result... JMO
350htrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 04:32 PM   #5
SpecialX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my 1st and only ebike I've ever owned...
Actually this is the second one of the exact same type, just because I needed another frame as the original one had a crack in the downtube and I didn't trust it (obviously) and I needed a spare motor.. I bought both used..

That was kinda my point with the whole, "IF you have time/DIY skills". I read a LOT about e-bikes and their associated parts before I upgraded my bike.. Took advice from a bunch of people and used my basic carpentry skills to build the large box on the back of my bike. (Along with tinkering with 12v systems for my electronics - Blinkers, brake light, etc).

My advice to people just starting out is to buy a basic electric bike and learn about the nuances first and then spend some good money on parts and build your own to your specific needs of range and speed.. Again IF you have the desire and ability.

If not, then at least start with a basic ebike, learn about how it works and then when you figure out what your specific needs are for the future , go out and purchase a well established brand that fits those needs.
SpecialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 06:14 PM   #6
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Yea, I'm talking/suspect in general... I think most people who build their e-bikes end up spending the same as if they bought the bike outright... JMO and I may be wrong... Now, they may actually end up with a better e-bike for less money... but that is a maybe, IMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-04-15 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling add more stuff
350htrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 09:32 PM   #7
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That Equalizer fat tire is a nice bike however, I can't see myself paying $3600 for an ebike but that's just me. I can seriously buy a nice used car for that kind of money. If you search online you can find one from other places (countries) and have them ship a similar bike to you at 1/3 of the price. For me, I have a threshold of how much I will pay for an ebike. After all, it's just a bike with a motor and battery.
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 09:38 PM   #8
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialX View Post
The only thing I really don't like is that battery placement/connector.. I bought my son a bike with that kind of setup and after a while when he would hit a small pothole or the bike would bump a lot, that battery box would jump out of the connections temporarily, so I had to rig up a bolt down system... Maybe this bike has one of those, I can't tell from the pics.
My bike has a similar battery placement and it has a key lock on the bottom to secure the battery from moving or stolen. I think this bike has that lock but not 100% sure. I must admit, this battery placement is much better than the rear rack because it has a low center of gravity which makes it a more stable ride.
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 12:10 AM   #9
donheart2015
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
And how much did you spend on the other e-bikes you built before this last one that you are so happy with? I think you need to include the learning curve cost too... Not just the end result of the build it yourself final result that I suspect most people don't/wouldn't get on their first build... To people who don't want to tinker 3,500$ can be well worth the end result... JMO
You get what you pay for....Oh so true! I believe that it was my original post that merckx_rider saw and got his attention to Equalizer. I ordered my bike and just received it on Friday. It was unbelievably packed it took me a while just to unpack it with all the packing material to protect it in shipping.

I have been riding it all weekend long and feel that it was a great investment to buy this bike. merckx_rider is 100% right on with his post. Everything that he states I agree with. The bike is totally awesome in every way you would want. I love the pedal assist it has 5 levels I like to ride it in level 2 or 3. This way I can pedal faster than the speed in the level and if I come to a hill it helps me get up it without slowing down. This bike rides so nice that I rode it for over 15 miles with the motor OFF. It rode like a regular bike.

I am very handy and could easily build my own ebike I personally do not like the battery on a rack on the back or on the down tube in a canvas sack or a battery pack. Looks like a kit bike to me. I looked into several kits and was not impressed. I have found over the years that I like quality when I compared this bike to the others that were out there this was without a doubt the best bang for the buck. This bike is built as a electric bike from the start, battery in the frame, holes in the tubes to run the wires, this gives a very clean look again built and engineered as a electric bike.

My bike is black the same as merckx_rider that is the standard color, you can get other colors some matalic but it will cost a little more. I am very happy and satisfied with my purchase. I am sure that I will get out and ride more with this bike, I have already started to run my errands with it.
donheart2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 06:26 PM   #10
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER
Thread Starter
 
merckx_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't realize I'd have so many interested people.

donheart2015,
My thanks to you for finding this gem. I was about to make a big mistake with a different bike. You are the one I started the thread with that I wanted to thank you.

350htrr, thank you for your kind words and yes it goes far enough to satisfy my wanderlust.

SpecialX, thank you for your input. I'm a master craftsman and master mechanic. I've built houses and boats and all things wood. I just don't want any wood on my bike. I also have to point out about DYI, do you work for free? What is your time worth? 10 cents per hour? maybe $10 per hour? I'll bet your time is worth a whole lot more than you give yourself credit for. My time, and what I ride is a reflection of me and how proud I am to be where I am in life. I'm a middle aged man. I stopped fabricating bike parts out of wood many years ago. Please don't take this like I"m too good for that kind of bike. I just feel that by this point in my life I deserve a reward for almost 5 decades of hard work. As for faster and farther, this bike - The Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike, is the fastest and goes the farthest of any bike I've found that is built to be an electric bike. This is not a kit bike or a rat bike which to me kit bikes are. Add up all the time you spent and guess what, you paid more than I did.

Vincent713, thank you for your input. My bike also has a locking mechanism that keeps the battery fully connected at all times even over bumps, jumps and potholes. Your comment about a bike 1/3 the price is a fantasy, plain and simple. My needs and priorities are different from yours. I have a car that cost me a lot less than my new bike, it's a tool for transportation. On the other hand my new bike is an outlet for my soul. Hard to put a price tag on smiles and giggles, especially at this point in a grown man's life.

All, thanks again for your input.

Now, it's time to ride to the beach and see the sunset... toodles.
merckx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 06:39 PM   #11
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER
Thread Starter
 
merckx_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheart2015 View Post
You get what you pay for....Oh so true! I believe that it was my original post that merckx_rider saw and got his attention to Equalizer. I ordered my bike and just received it on Friday. It was unbelievably packed it took me a while just to unpack it with all the packing material to protect it in shipping.

I have been riding it all weekend long and feel that it was a great investment to buy this bike. merckx_rider is 100% right on with his post. Everything that he states I agree with. The bike is totally awesome in every way you would want. I love the pedal assist it has 5 levels I like to ride it in level 2 or 3. This way I can pedal faster than the speed in the level and if I come to a hill it helps me get up it without slowing down. This bike rides so nice that I rode it for over 15 miles with the motor OFF. It rode like a regular bike.

I am very handy and could easily build my own ebike I personally do not like the battery on a rack on the back or on the down tube in a canvas sack or a battery pack. Looks like a kit bike to me. I looked into several kits and was not impressed. I have found over the years that I like quality when I compared this bike to the others that were out there this was without a doubt the best bang for the buck. This bike is built as a electric bike from the start, battery in the frame, holes in the tubes to run the wires, this gives a very clean look again built and engineered as a electric bike.

My bike is black the same as merckx_rider that is the standard color, you can get other colors some matalic but it will cost a little more. I am very happy and satisfied with my purchase. I am sure that I will get out and ride more with this bike, I have already started to run my errands with it.
I just wanted to say to you that it only gets better with every ride!!
I hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I do, more would be impossible. Hehehe!!
merckx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 11:26 PM   #12
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx_rider View Post

Vincent713, thank you for your input. My bike also has a locking mechanism that keeps the battery fully connected at all times even over bumps, jumps and potholes. Your comment about a bike 1/3 the price is a fantasy, plain and simple. My needs and priorities are different from yours. I have a car that cost me a lot less than my new bike, it's a tool for transportation. On the other hand my new bike is an outlet for my soul. Hard to put a price tag on smiles and giggles, especially at this point in a grown man's life.

All, thanks again for your input.
Yes we definitely have different priorities when it comes to ebikes and the price I quoted 1/3 of $3600 for a similar beach cruiser with fat tires like the Equalizer bike is NOT a fantasy. I could post a link on where to get one but I feel it would be inappropriate here. I don't want to start a fire as I like beach cruiser with fat tires just like the next guy but all I'm saying is if anyone who can't afford the Equalizer bike there are other alternatives. Enjoy your bike.
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 12:56 AM   #13
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER
Thread Starter
 
merckx_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Yes we definitely have different priorities when it comes to ebikes and the price I quoted 1/3 of $3600 for a similar beach cruiser with fat tires like the Equalizer bike is NOT a fantasy. I could post a link on where to get one but I feel it would be inappropriate here. I don't want to start a fire as I like beach cruiser with fat tires just like the next guy but all I'm saying is if anyone who can't afford the Equalizer bike there are other alternatives. Enjoy your bike.
Similar? Like a Yugo is similar to a Cadillac or maybe a Lincoln or Lexus or Mercedes, etc...

a $1,200 ebike isn't similar to what I have in any way except they both have 2 wheels. My new bike has a dash board. The dash board has a volt meter in it, along with speed, 2 trip meters, odometer, power scale oh yeah it lights up at night, because the bike is made to ride at night with lights. Stainless steel spokes, 13 gauge. Advanced power management system with 5 different modes, 2 programmable modes, 5 levels of pedal assist, full time throttle, slow speed cruise control, 70 plus miles on a single charge.... Quick release sealed bearings front wheel. So much more than just a motor and a battery. I guess a car is just an engine and gas tank... tell that to the kids watching tv in the back seat with the A/C on.

$1200 gets you a little LED green light for go and a red light for dead battery. 12 mile range, no pedal assist or no throttle. A battery over the wheel on a welded on rack. Not much similarity there for me.

My bike is built to last. I'll go so far as to say 4+ times as long as a $1200 bike, so I"m still ahead & I didn't have to ride junk bikes for 12 years and pay more in the long run...

Some quick math:
My battery pack will charge over 1000 times, full cycles are about 70 miles so my battery pack should last for 70,000 miles.

The "similar" bike gets 600 cycles at 12 miles per cycle equals 7,200 miles battery life. About 1/10 of similar?

Be happy, don't worry, 12 miles is similar to 70... let me know how those last 58 miles feel pedaling a fat tire bike.

I'm not easily impressed. My new bike impresses me. It is awesome and worth every penny it cost. I learned a very long time ago, be cheap when you can so you can save up for really good stuff when it matters.
merckx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 01:24 AM   #14
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A Yugo goes from point A to point B much cheaper than a Cadillac and cost a fraction of the price.
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 06:20 AM   #15
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: Too many to list,...
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
If a person says they enjoy what they've just purchased, and gives a nice positive review, why must there always be someone to tear them down? The bike is definitely more than I'd be willing to spend ATM, but I bet it will give years of rock solid use. I like it!!!
__________________
Fitness is only a side effect,...I feel alive when I ride!!!
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 08:16 AM   #16
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a forum where you come to express your opinions about bikes correct? Nobody is tearing anyone down, I never said anything bad about this bike except for the price is too high "in my opinion". I'm sorry but I can't see myself paying $3600 for this ebike given all the bells and whistles and knowing what is available out there. I will take my (Yugo) any day which also happily and reliably takes me from point A to point B which is more than enough for my daily exercise session. The best thing about it is I still have $2850 saved in my bank acct. I can buy almost 4 more bikes with that money, how's that for math..
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 11:15 AM   #17
SpecialX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely did not spend more on my bike, as you suppose...
Just like anyone else, I used my "free" time and skills and a good amount research to get what I wanted, specifically.
As an example, if you only used up one or two hours researching electric bikes and went with a $3600 bike, you didn't do your due diligence and got lucky that you like what you have.
MY bike Is not a "Yugo", I'd say it's in the realm of a Cadillac with all the bells and whistles that I wanted.
For my $1600 I have the range and speed I wanted (60 miles at 20-25mph), I don't pedal EVER for the above range/speed (I can pedal but I don't want to as I live in hot Floridian weather), I have a radio, speakers (including a sub), directionals, brake light, bright halogen lights, storage box (that's the only thing made of wood, by the way.. I was going to make it out of brushed aluminum, but I like the wood better and it was easier to work with) which I use for holding my batteries and controller, to keep them out of the elements as well as for carrying up to 50lbs of groceries/whatever with no additional hardware, if I have to, I have an inverter with me that I can use with my 12v battery to charge up the 48v battery for another 20 mile range..
Don't know what batteries they use, but 1000 recharges is ok...my battery is rated for 2 to 3 times those recharges.. (I actually do between 18-22k miles a year on mine.).

So like what you like and spend the money and be happy with it, for those of us that have specific wants and desires and have the know-how to build what we want, without having to rely on someone else's idea of what an Ebike is, makes me happier AND saved me money in the long run..
SpecialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 11:22 AM   #18
SpecialX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the other side of things...
You could go with an OptiBike and spend 10k+ on an electric bicycle.
I thought spending $1600 on mine was really too much, $3600 is way more and $10k+ is just ridiculous.
(I figured I was bad enough on spending $1,600 on mine, but I feel those whose spend double, triple and up to 10x (there is an OptiBike in the $16k price range) that price are just looking to spend money and say hey "look at me".
But that's JMO.
SpecialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 11:53 AM   #19
vincent713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialX View Post
So like what you like and spend the money and be happy with it, for those of us that have specific wants and desires and have the know-how to build what we want, without having to rely on someone else's idea of what an Ebike is, makes me happier AND saved me money in the long run..
Amen!!
vincent713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 02:40 PM   #20
donheart2015
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialX View Post
I definitely did not spend more on my bike, as you suppose...
Just like anyone else, I used my "free" time and skills and a good amount research to get what I wanted, specifically.
As an example, if you only used up one or two hours researching electric bikes and went with a $3600 bike, you didn't do your due diligence and got lucky that you like what you have.
MY bike Is not a "Yugo", I'd say it's in the realm of a Cadillac with all the bells and whistles that I wanted.
For my $1600 I have the range and speed I wanted (60 miles at 20-25mph), I don't pedal EVER for the above range/speed (I can pedal but I don't want to as I live in hot Floridian weather), I have a radio, speakers (including a sub), directionals, brake light, bright halogen lights, storage box (that's the only thing made of wood, by the way.. I was going to make it out of brushed aluminum, but I like the wood better and it was easier to work with) which I use for holding my batteries and controller, to keep them out of the elements as well as for carrying up to 50lbs of groceries/whatever with no additional hardware, if I have to, I have an inverter with me that I can use with my 12v battery to charge up the 48v battery for another 20 mile range..
Don't know what batteries they use, but 1000 recharges is ok...my battery is rated for 2 to 3 times those recharges.. (I actually do between 18-22k miles a year on mine.).

So like what you like and spend the money and be happy with it, for those of us that have specific wants and desires and have the know-how to build what we want, without having to rely on someone else's idea of what an Ebike is, makes me happier AND saved me money in the long run..
I feel that everyone should be happy! I just bought the Equalizer Fat Tire Bike and it is the Best ebike that I found! I have an engineering background and can build anything. The difference between us is that I like quality and I don't want my controller hanging off the frame or sitting in a wooden box on a rack. I like things nice and neat on my bike all the wires got routed through the frame tubes and are out of the way, the controller is built into its own special out of the way storage area on the frame too. No canvas or bullet shaped battery box off the down tube either. The Equalizer has been engineered to be a electric bike from the start everything is put away and built in so that it works properly and will last. You are probably one of the lucky ones that have what you want from a kit usually people are not satisfied and get stuck in a vicious circle buying more parts at extra cost to get to a point that works for them but they are still not satisfied nor does it work properly. So it cost them almost the same amount of money and time invested that it would cost for a good ebike. This is what I came away with from my searches on the internet.

I don't have deep pockets but I learned at a young age that quality always trumps price. I am sorry to say you get what you pay for. Needles to say I had spent the last couple of months exploring electric bike possibilities. 100's of google searches for kits and ebikes then I decided to start a post here to see what people were buying. The people that replied were nice and genuine but the suggestions were junk. The manufacturers that had fat tire ebikes were all mountain bike types with cheap small frames and welded battery packs on a rack or on the down tube. Basically a kit added to a bike that I would not buy anyway. Equalizer on the other hand, builds a ebike that has been well thought out. The frame has the battery built in so it is low center of gravity, frame is big so that it fits me comfortably and my feet DO NOT hit the front wheel when I turn. These are just some of the little things that make the difference and cost more money to produce.

The LCD dash has got all the information that you would want to have on your bike to monitor your battery, speed, distance, pedal assist levels and is ready for night riding. The front wheel has a quick release that makes it easy to take along in my suv. I could go on and on about this bike go to the website and see the specs for yourself.

Im not trying to bash anyone. Buy what you want, ride what you want just be happy and I myself like a great many people like quality and that is what I buy. I wish good luck to all who buy other bikes and kits. Id rather ride my bike not work on it. My Equalizer is always ready to ride any time I want it, I just jump on and go!
donheart2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 03:37 PM   #21
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: Too many to list,...
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Well, I'm still working on my Hugo. I damaged the magnetic disk for the pedalec sensor, so it's on hiatus until I get a replacement.

Anyways, all opinions are quite welcome. I just wanted to rile you all up a bit by stirring the pot. Lol! I luv seeing what you're all up to.

Now, pictures? We need PICTURES!
__________________
Fitness is only a side effect,...I feel alive when I ride!!!
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 09:05 PM   #22
donheart2015
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
If a person says they enjoy what they've just purchased, and gives a nice positive review, why must there always be someone to tear them down? The bike is definitely more than I'd be willing to spend ATM, but I bet it will give years of rock solid use. I like it!!!

donheart2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:22 AM   #23
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER
Thread Starter
 
merckx_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: So Cal
Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SpecialX, thanks for all your input. I'm glad I did a review of my bike so you could compare your franken bike to it. I'll stick with a professional build and reliable company to provide me with my ebike. You are in denial about what you spent on your project. If not, start selling them for $1,600 and tell me how much you have for groceries at the end of the year.

Vincent713, I saw that exact bike on alibaba for less than $450, you paid almost 2x what it's worth. I wouldn't put anyone I love on a bike like that. By you over paying for that bike, your credibility is valueless. That bike insults yugos.

So lets review:

I purchased a very good, high quality ebike from a reputable company. 5 people other than myself replied to my thread.
2 - complemented me. Thank you both for proper etiquette.
1 - bought the exact bike, thank you for turning me on to this beauty.

1 - Kit King, with outrageous claims... I will expound.
1 - Junkman with low quality and no manors - no this is not how a forum works. You don't post pictures of other bikes in a review.

SpecialX: (kit king) 22k miles per year? I used to race pro level, I rode 15k per year for almost a decade. I spent almost every waking moment on my bike. You must be riding 6-8 hours a day to go 22,000 miles at 15-20 mph average. I call BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This tread isn't for you to be making such outrageous claims. This tread is about MY: EQUALIZER ELECTRIC FAT TIRE BIKE!!!

Vincent713, (junkman) this thread is NOT about how cheap and crappy a bike can be. I don't care about your opinion of what a bike is worth to you, or what your spending limits are. You don't inject your crappy opinion into a review thread.

I've got no patience for trolls and gouls of which I label both: Specialx and Vincent713.

GO start your own threads about the crap you ride.

I took my time, NOT FREE, to answer the request of a few people that are interested in this bike. I'm not here to waste my time with opinions that have no bearing on what I'm doing. The only thing that you two did was dilute the information with toxic and junk words.

I bought a great bike!! I love it. It costs more that you can afford. Deal with it.

One last thing, I plan on doing updates on this bike for those with real interest.
merckx_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:30 AM   #24
bareyb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cupertino, CA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialX View Post
This is my 1st and only ebike I've ever owned...
Actually this is the second one of the exact same type, just because I needed another frame as the original one had a crack in the downtube and I didn't trust it (obviously) and I needed a spare motor.. I bought both used..

That was kinda my point with the whole, "IF you have time/DIY skills". I read a LOT about e-bikes and their associated parts before I upgraded my bike.. Took advice from a bunch of people and used my basic carpentry skills to build the large box on the back of my bike. (Along with tinkering with 12v systems for my electronics - Blinkers, brake light, etc).

My advice to people just starting out is to buy a basic electric bike and learn about the nuances first and then spend some good money on parts and build your own to your specific needs of range and speed.. Again IF you have the desire and ability.

If not, then at least start with a basic ebike, learn about how it works and then when you figure out what your specific needs are for the future , go out and purchase a well established brand that fits those needs.
What you've done is called a "Thread Crap". How about you let the OP enjoy his new build and STFU? Nobody asked for your advice nor does anyone with brain need it.

Last edited by bareyb; 05-07-15 at 12:36 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:31 AM   #25
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
This is our idea of a bicycle with 2 motors . . .
This tandem has 40,000+ miles on it.
Hope your motor lasts that long!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picasabackground.jpg (56.8 KB, 3 views)
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 AM.