I'm usure about how to feel about the proliferation of electric powered/assisted bikes that are showing up on local bike paths/bike lanes. I'm hoping to get a few points of view from both the "love 'em" crowd and the "hate 'em" folks.
Here's how my thoughts go:
1) Better for the environment than driving a ICE scooter/motorcycle/car
2) The more advocates for quality bikes lanes and bike paths the better
3) Health benefits from a less stressful commute
1) They have motors! Shouldn't bike paths/lanes be reservered for human powered traffic.
2) People are locking them up in bike racks. This takes space away from regular cyclists and may prevent some people from riding (ie. they can't find a place to lock up their bike).
3) Electric power/assist offers very few exercise benefits.
Full disclosure: I've tried to see both sides for this post but I personally hate 'em. When I see an electric scooter busting around in the bike lane my blood starts to boil. There's a very clear like between bicycle and motor vehicle, if it has a motor it belongs to the latter and therefore should stay off the bike paths and out of bike lanes.