Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-07, 09:29 AM   #51
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heavy Hub Motors Can't climb hills.
Hub motors fall off the frames.
Hub motors are not efficient through out the whole range.
Hub motors break short spokes easy.
Hub motors unsuspended weight gives a rough ride over bumps.
Basicaly hub motors suck amps.
Hub motor users are in denial.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 09:38 AM   #52
Abneycat
Hooligan
 
Abneycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!
Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your opinion Randy.

Last edited by Abneycat; 11-20-07 at 11:05 AM.
Abneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 12:00 PM   #53
Zeuser
e-Biker
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii View Post
Heavy Hub Motors Can't climb hills.
Hub motors fall off the frames.
Hub motors are not efficient through out the whole range.
Hub motors break short spokes easy.
Hub motors unsuspended weight gives a rough ride over bumps.
Basicaly hub motors suck amps.
Hub motor users are in denial.
Oh STFU already. Everytime you come into a thread you ruin it with your hill climbing anti-hub motor bullcrap.

Honstely, STFU and let the people with hub motors enjoy the subject at hand: ie: eBike videos.
Zeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 02:16 PM   #54
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
You're delusional.
Take your Meds. Where's your video?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...79618916032763
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 02:31 PM   #55
Saltydawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii View Post
Take your Meds. Where's your video?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...79618916032763
I don't want to get caught up in the argument you guys are all involved in... I do want to complement the video though.
Another great video. I haven't watched the whole thing (I can't watch a video that long from work) but from what I've seen so far it's awesome.

The scenery out there is just amazing. I would love to go riding there. And your bike seems to be doing great.

Did you make this before ebikes were banned? I'm guessing they probably don't enforce that ban too much...

I can't argue with performance. It's just unbeleivable to me that you are doing this with a home made motor on a Huffy! Excellent work man.
Saltydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 03:43 PM   #56
Abneycat
Hooligan
 
Abneycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!
Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
I already took my asthma medications this morning, but thanks for your concern anyway.



My mountain bike videos are right here.



That boring, tame, slow riding on a smooth dirt roads does not prove that "a center mounted motor ebike can take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails as long as the batteries are mounted securly(sic)."

You obviously aren't at all familiar with how much abuse other bikes can take nor with what kinds of trails mountain bikes can be ridden on.

Not to mention the additional loads that a motor and batteries would place on the frame if it was ridden on some challenging mountain bike trails.
Its been explained to him before, but he's not interested in listening and either doesn't seem to understand for himself or doesn't care. I've given up providing fact and explanation to him, as he's only here to troll.

That rockville video is pretty good. I only had time to watch that and the ride through Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg looks like a nice quiet enjoyable run too, though some of those switchbacks and narrow entries could be deceptive. Nice videos!

I'll hopefully be able to borrow some kind of recording device this winter, as we've got a plan lined up for some winter riding in December.
Abneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 03:54 PM   #57
Saltydawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
Wow man, that's a lot of stuff right there! Excellent work!
Saltydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 05:15 PM   #58
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abneycat View Post
Its been explained to him before, but he's not interested in listening and either doesn't seem to understand for himself or doesn't care. I've given up providing fact and explanation to him, as he's only here to troll.

That rockville video is pretty good. I only had time to watch that and the ride through Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg looks like a nice quiet enjoyable run too, though some of those switchbacks and narrow entries could be deceptive. Nice videos!

I'll hopefully be able to borrow some kind of recording device this winter, as we've got a plan lined up for some winter riding in December.
ELECTRIC MOUNTAINBIKE going up a 2600 elevation rise with the motor and batteries weighing under 12 lbs ? Get a grip ...
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 06:48 PM   #59
v6v6v6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Bikes: Dahon Mu SL, KHS Mocha w/BionX PL350
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's obviously only one way to settle this... I call for an ebike-off!
v6v6v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 08:04 PM   #60
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
All Randy/Randall (or whatever this guy's name is) has to do is make his frankenheap available to someone who will take it on an actual mountain bike ride in Poli Poli, or a Skyline/Poli Poli combination and his crazy claim about it being able to "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails" will be disproved quite easily.
Been there done that several times.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 08:54 PM   #61
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
LOL!

Pay close attention to this part:

"his frankenheap available to someone who will take it on an actual mountain bike ride"

Putzing around on dirt roads does not count, nor does it substantiate your ridiculous claim.

Comments from your lame video like "no bike could go beyond this point" and "I come up this but there are too may rocks to skid on" (both paraphrased) only prove that your "mountain biking" experience is incredibly limited.

If your frankenheap was actually ridden on real mountain bike trails, at normal (not grandma) speeds, it would be in pieces.
Thats what they said about my 68' AT3 125 enduro I 7 ported and converted before the Yamaha YZ 125s were a reality. I won several MX races in Calif and this one at the old fairgrounds in Mauis 1st motocross race in 74'.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-23-07 at 05:56 AM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 09:10 PM   #62
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
Non sequitur.

You have provided ample proof that your claim that your frankenheap will "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails" is utterly fallacious.

If your frankenheap was actually ridden on real mountain bike trails, at normal (not grandma) speeds, it would be in pieces.
Try going 20 mph up hill on the dirt with any mountain bike or electric bicycle. Your mixing apples with your lemons.Don't get mad at me because you have a piece of crap bike.lol
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 09:30 PM   #63
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
??

You have claimed that your frankenheap will "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails."

That is utter crap, as I and others, have irrefutably demonstrated.

You have also refuted your own claim (via that boring, tame, slow riding on a smooth dirt roads video where you talk to yourself incessantly) and additional demonstrated that your definition of "mountain biking" is a grandma's definition of mountain biking.



What an odd thing to post. First, I am not mad at you. I pity you. There's a big difference.

Secondly, you have a frankenheap, I point out that your claims are mere fantasies so that somehow means that I have a "piece of crap bike"?

How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion?
The same way that you came to your conclusion.LOL
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:00 PM   #64
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
No, I came to my conclusion by understanding that adding tens of pounds to a mountain bike frame (even one that isn't a POS Walmart bike) makes that bike less resistant to abuse. Then I saw the video of what you think "mountain biking" is and I understand that what you describe as "mountain biking" does not even come close to being representative of the forces that mountain bikes encounter when they are ridden on real mountain biking terrain.

So yes, your claim that your frankenheap can "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails" is absurd.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that my very durable bike that has actually been ridden on very diverse, very challenging terrain in a number of different states and countries over a number of years is a "piece of crap" again?
Downhill racing on a human powered mountain bike is a far cry to what electric bikes are all about.Neverthless a 45 lb Huffy with a 12 lb motor/battery system will win any round trip races up and down the same hills on round trips.
I gave up racing for pleasure and riding safley and the cheap Huffy fulfills my needs to go anywhere and faster on round trips up the hills and back.I do NOT rely on pedaling at all. Your jabbering pure nonsense about something that does NOT apply to ebike riding..Your application is purely downhill bicycle foolishness.Even though a Huffy with good wheels will handel the same abuse.Show me a video where your expensive pedal power mountainbike is going up hill on a good grade at 10 mph yet at 20 mph the Huffy does fine if you don't mind your kidneys getting jared.Of corse a expensive bike will work better but who needs it when the motor and batteries coast enough? All you really need on a ebike is a strong frame ,wheels and strong lightweight efficient motor system with reliable brakes.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-20-07 at 10:22 PM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:49 PM   #65
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
I am not referring to downhill racing. I'm referring to actually riding your frankenheap at mountain biking speeds (not granny speeds) on mountain bike trails.

After all, you're the crazy guy that claimed that your frankenheap can "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails."

Mountain bike trails can be quite different than the smooth dirt roads that you offered up as "proof" of your frankenheap's durability.



What does that have to do with your silly claim?

Furthermore, that is pure conjecture on your part. I would take that bet in a heartbeat on many trails. This one for example:



Not only would you be walking your frankennheap up it while I would be riding, you would be walking your frankenheap down it (assuming it was still in one piece of course, which is a big, big assumption).




So you frankenheap can take you "anywhere" now?

Again, as your silly video demonstrates, that is a lie.

How is pointing out your silly assumptions ""talking nonsense"?

You forgot to answer this question:

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that my very durable bike that has actually been ridden on very diverse, very challenging terrain in a number of different states and countries over a number of years is a "piece of crap" again?
We are talking EBIKES! What ebike do you know of that will take even ONE bad spill and continue to work without collecting all the batteries on the ground let alione the motor if it is not in a strong frame and protected along with all the wires and cables?? This is a ebike forum is it not? Even My Huffy will climb up rockey hills much faster than you can pedal.You have nothing to support your BS that your bicycle is made any stronger if that is why you like to argue about and either do I except for over 25,000 miles of hard use.It is YOU that is making the silly assumptions.My knowlege is from riding both expensive bikes and cheap Huffy bikes for many years.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-20-07 at 10:59 PM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 11:12 PM   #66
tpreitzel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
No, you're talking about a comparison between your frankenheap and any other bicycle.

You: "take as much abuse as any other bicycle on dirt roads or trails"
First, I'm NOT defending EBikeHawaii for his remarks as he is prone to hyperbole, but EBikeHawaii is correct that THIS forum is for E-bikes. Furthermore, the types of off-road trails that an E-bike user would normally cover is much more in line with the "grandma" style of riding than your outlandish examples of mountain bike trails. Yes, I do realize that the two of you are living in entirely different worlds...
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 12:50 AM   #67
Lowell_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Rocky Mountain electric bike
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From someone who lives in Vancouver, this is what I call mountain biking: http://nsmb.com/

Randy rides on dirt trails that even a road bike would have no problems with. Perhaps that is 'mountain biking' on his little island.
Lowell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 12:51 AM   #68
Lowell_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: Rocky Mountain electric bike
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6v6v6 View Post
There's obviously only one way to settle this... I call for an ebike-off!
Already tried that and Randy chickened out...
Lowell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 06:24 AM   #69
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell_ View Post
Already tried that and Randy chickened out...
You can always only try to accomplish what I have done by YOURSELF and YOU can go to jail all by YOURSELF too.. But I still hold the worlds EV record to climb 10.005 ft in elevation that YOU SAY you can do. hahahaha. Lo Well cant even do a 2600 ft elevation climb on the dirt or otherwise.. Either can Mrs mountainbiker in 20 minutes. on her $2000. bicycle that will never get 25,000 miles out of... Two girlscouts of a feather that flock together...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49999301107762

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-21-07 at 06:30 AM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 11:49 AM   #70
Zeuser
e-Biker
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii View Post
You can always only try to accomplish what I have done by YOURSELF and YOU can go to jail all by YOURSELF too.. But I still hold the worlds EV record to climb 10.005 ft in elevation that YOU SAY you can do. hahahaha. Lo Well cant even do a 2600 ft elevation climb on the dirt or otherwise.. Either can Mrs mountainbiker in 20 minutes. on her $2000. bicycle that will never get 25,000 miles out of... Two girlscouts of a feather that flock together...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49999301107762
Just to confirm, can you quote a source other than yourself for the "world's EV record climb to 10,000ft" ?
I'm not seeing this anywhere. No guiness record, no wikipedia article, no sports sanctioning body article. Nothing!

The only hint of an EV world record in a hillclimb was the Pikes Peak climb.
Zeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 12:26 PM   #71
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuser View Post
Just to confirm, can you quote a source other than yourself for the "world's EV record climb to 10,000ft" ?
I'm not seeing this anywhere. No guiness record, no wikipedia article, no sports sanctioning body article. Nothing!

The only hint of an EV world record in a hillclimb was the Pikes Peak climb.
Its a documented fact that was published.It's not my falt that you can not find it.Let Lo Well try and she will fail what ever I have accomplished on a ebike and end up in Jail for her attempt .She can't even do a 2600 ft elevation climb on her motorcycle in 20 minutes.Nor can YOU on a human powered mountainbike.Try it in a gas moped lol. Pikes Peak was NOT a worlds record elevation climb for a EV.Go back to your bicycle or girlscout forum.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49999301107762

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-21-07 at 12:44 PM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 02:38 PM   #72
Zeuser
e-Biker
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii View Post
Its a documented fact that was published.It's not my falt that you can not find it.Let Lo Well try and she will fail what ever I have accomplished on a ebike and end up in Jail for her attempt .She can't even do a 2600 ft elevation climb on her motorcycle in 20 minutes.Nor can YOU on a human powered mountainbike.Try it in a gas moped lol. Pikes Peak was NOT a worlds record elevation climb for a EV.Go back to your bicycle or girlscout forum.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49999301107762
And WHERE is this documented fact?
Ok... so I can't find it. Since you know it so well, how about YOU tell where this document fact is?

I'm just curious which sanctioning body reconnizes this world record?
Zeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 05:39 PM   #73
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuser View Post
And WHERE is this documented fact?
Ok... so I can't find it. Since you know it so well, how about YOU tell where this document fact is?

I'm just curious which sanctioning body reconnizes this world record?
Curiousity killed the ***** cat.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 05:39 PM   #74
EbikeHawaii
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuser View Post
And WHERE is this documented fact?
Ok... so I can't find it. Since you know it so well, how about YOU tell where this document fact is?

I'm just curious which sanctioning body reconnizes this world record?
Curiousity killed the cat.Finally here is Lo Wells hub motor hill climbing video.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0 {{Moderator note: Lowell says this is not his video****

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 11-21-07 at 06:37 PM.
EbikeHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 08:28 PM   #75
Zeuser
e-Biker
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why are you avoiding the question?
Your "record" is official isn't it? So point me to the "official" recognition of the record so I may enjoy it as well.

Or is your "record" just a bunch of B.S. ?

Personally, I think it's real. After all, why would someone go around bolstering about such a claim in this day and age? You'd have to be quite stupid to go around claiming to have a world record which can't be proven. Right?

But I really have to wonder why you keep avoiding the question? Why can't you show me which sanctioning body reconnizes your record? And there's surely a nice article to go with it that I'd think is worth reading.
Zeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 AM.