Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    EV elevation climb record happens to be on a ebike.

    On a 72 mile round trip I average 20 mph up a 10,005 foot Volcano and back to the beach.I used less than 300 watt hours of human pedal power while using 1500 watt hours of battery power.
    http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=562

  2. #2
    put our Heads Together cerewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    southeast pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
    Posts
    3,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool bike you've got there. Keep it up.
    Some awesome folks who are working to give Haitians the ability to manage their safety and their lives:
    Haiti Partners

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain electric bike
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open Access Article Originally Published: August 23, 2003
    Wow, it's like going back in time!
    Team Mavic, winner of the 2003 Cycle to the Sun race

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_
    Wow, it's like going back in time!
    No electric vehicle has beat the elevation record yet! So the record IS current!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain electric bike
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fish, small pond...
    Team Mavic, winner of the 2003 Cycle to the Sun race

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_
    Big fish, small pond...
    Nice floor scrubber video!
    Try a real scrubber motor!
    http://www.electracross.com/Video/12-TireTest.mpg
    Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 06-27-07 at 02:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain electric bike
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii
    Nice floor scrubber video!
    Try a real scrubber motor!
    http://www.electracross.com/Video/12-TireTest.mpg
    Floor scrubbers? Electric motocross bikes?
    Team Mavic, winner of the 2003 Cycle to the Sun race

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_
    Floor scrubbers? Electric motocross bikes?
    Floor scrubbers are where most etck motors are used.a 15 hp motor weighs less than your ebike hubmotor and are more efficient.

    http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/5/25/83144/9066
    Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 06-28-07 at 02:18 AM.

  9. #9
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come I can't find your record in the Guiness Book of World Records?

    Robbie

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain electric bike
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EbikeHawaii
    Floor scrubbers are where most etck motors are used.a 15 hp motor weighs less than your ebike hubmotor and are more efficient.

    http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/5/25/83144/9066
    Are you going to lace a wheel straight to an Etek? The real weight difference would be the hub motor weight, minus the weight of the stock hub and shorter spokes, compared to the Etek itself, motor mounts, chain, sprockets and anything else you have to add such as chain gaurds etc. I would guess the Etek after all is said and done, is 5lbs heavier. And don't forget that a 15hp motor will require extra strength in the frame, spokes and rim.

    Besides, would a person that cares about efficiency really be putting a 15hp motor on a bicycle??
    Team Mavic, winner of the 2003 Cycle to the Sun race

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_
    Are you going to lace a wheel straight to an Etek? The real weight difference would be the hub motor weight, minus the weight of the stock hub and shorter spokes, compared to the Etek itself, motor mounts, chain, sprockets and anything else you have to add such as chain gaurds etc. I would guess the Etek after all is said and done, is 5lbs heavier. And don't forget that a 15hp motor will require extra strength in the frame, spokes and rim.

    Besides, would a person that cares about efficiency really be putting a 15hp motor on a bicycle??
    If they did care about efficiency climbing hills with a large load they might consider it.

  12. #12
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I still can't find anything about your volcano climb in the Guiness Book of World Records? I've found documentation that the event took place and that you made it to the top in 4th place, but can't seem to find anything besides what you've claimed with regards to this being any kind of EV world record?

    Robbie

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    ^ I still can't find anything about your volcano climb in the Guiness Book of World Records? I've found documentation that the event took place and that you made it to the top in 4th place, but can't seem to find anything besides what you've claimed with regards to this being any kind of EV world record?

    Robbie
    your warped imagination is all you have? Too bad.

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ The above answer from Randy is pretty much what anyone can expect from a serious inquiry to any one of his claims. I've seen this on several other boards already. Don't be conned by Randy.

    Robbie

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    ^ The above answer from Randy is pretty much what anyone can expect from a serious inquiry to any one of his claims. I've seen this on several other boards already. Don't be conned by Randy.

    Robbie
    I dont waste too much time with people who do not want to learn.
    Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 08-04-07 at 01:55 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just a letter from the race organizer stating that you were there and completed the coarse within the indicated time. Nowhere in the letter do I read any reference to any kind of 'record'. That's your own conclusion, and your personal conclusion doesn't appear to be officially sanctioned by any recognized authority that I can find.

    I would be less surprised to find the three team Mavic riders in the Guiness Book of World Records as they beat a guy with a 1584Wh advantage using only their own leg power.

    Robbie

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    This is just a letter from the race organizer stating that you were there and completed the coarse within the indicated time. Nowhere in the letter do I read any reference to any kind of 'record'. That's your own conclusion, and your personal conclusion doesn't appear to be officially sanctioned by any recognized authority that I can find.

    I would be less surprised to find the three team Mavic riders in the Guiness Book of World Records as they beat a guy with a 1584Wh advantage using only their own leg power.

    Robbie
    Yes bicycle riders can do the trip every day but there has not been ANYONE else to make such a climb on any ELECTRIC VEHICLE at any speed.
    Iguess you can't understand the difference between a bicycle and a electric battery powered vehicle.

  18. #18
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes bicycle riders can do the trip every day but there has not been ANYONE else to make such a climb on any ELECTRIC VEHICLE at any speed. I guess you can't understand the difference between a bicycle and a electric battery powered vehicle.
    If bicycle riders can do the trip every day, then you're basically bragging that you can do what they already can by adding a motor, controller, and some batteries? So what? Do I have to remind you that you didn't even beat all of them to the top? Isn't the idea behind electrifying a bike to GAIN peformance above and beyond what a non-powered bicyclist can do? The evidence suggests you never accomplished this goal at all.

    Also, if my suspisions are correct and your videos and misguided lawsuit angered Linda Lingle to the point that she forbids you or anyone else to ride ebikes in her state, then isn't it logical to assume that nobody could succeed where you failed on the volcano ride because the law now prevents them from trying? You should be ashamed to be the cause of all this!

    Robbie

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    If bicycle riders can do the trip every day, then you're basically bragging that you can do what they already can by adding a motor, controller, and some batteries? So what? Do I have to remind you that you didn't even beat all of them to the top? Isn't the idea behind electrifying a bike to GAIN peformance above and beyond what a non-powered bicyclist can do? The evidence suggests you never accomplished this goal at all.

    Also, if my suspisions are correct and your videos and misguided lawsuit angered Linda Lingle to the point that she forbids you or anyone else to ride ebikes in her state, then isn't it logical to assume that nobody could succeed where you failed on the volcano ride because the law now prevents them from trying? You should be ashamed to be the cause of all this!

    Robbie
    Yes that guy should be ashamed of being the cause of this, right again Mr. Hatfield, you're on my team for sure.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    If bicycle riders can do the trip every day, then you're basically bragging that you can do what they already can by adding a motor, controller, and some batteries? So what? Do I have to remind you that you didn't even beat all of them to the top? Isn't the idea behind electrifying a bike to GAIN peformance above and beyond what a non-powered bicyclist can do? The evidence suggests you never accomplished this goal at all.

    Also, if my suspisions are correct and your videos and misguided lawsuit angered Linda Lingle to the point that she forbids you or anyone else to ride ebikes in her state, then isn't it logical to assume that nobody could succeed where you failed on the volcano ride because the law now prevents them from trying? You should be ashamed to be the cause of all this!

    Robbie
    You are misgiuding others in YOUR misguided asumtions.

  21. #21
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really Randy. Bobby Kapveld is actually your pal 'krushnoi'. The 'krushnoi' handle seems to have dissappeared along with that thread he started trying to accuse me of being a troll. I try to avoid threads like that.

    Robbie
    Last edited by Robbie Hatfield; 07-05-07 at 04:37 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    Not really Randy. Bobby Kapveld is actually your pal 'krushnoi'. The 'krushnoi' handle seems to have dissappeared along with that thread he started trying to accuse me of being a troll. I try to avoid threads like that.

    Robbie
    There you go asuming again.

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just assumed that you were going to get ebikes legal in Hawaii again. Should I not have done that?

    Robbie

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
    If bicycle riders can do the trip every day, then you're basically bragging that you can do what they already can by adding a motor, controller, and some batteries? So what? Do I have to remind you that you didn't even beat all of them to the top? Isn't the idea behind electrifying a bike to GAIN peformance above and beyond what a non-powered bicyclist can do? The evidence suggests you never accomplished this goal at all.

    Also, if my suspisions are correct and your videos and misguided lawsuit angered Linda Lingle to the point that she forbids you or anyone else to ride ebikes in her state, then isn't it logical to assume that nobody could succeed where you failed on the volcano ride because the law now prevents them from trying? You should be ashamed to be the cause of all this!

    Robbie
    Yea im so ashamed that three of the worlds best mountain climbing bike racers beat me by less than 4 minutes on there 9 lb $7000 bicycles after I waited 20 minutes for them on my 150 lb ebike I rode for the first time..LOL If I get ebikes legal again lithium packs will be a little more refined.It may take me less than a 40 ah lithium pack to do the same trip with the same ebike in 2 hours instead of 3 hours. Then there will be a new Lithium Ebike standard for anyone to beat.If they can? (with the same amount of batteries)

    http://www.cycletothesun.net/agegroup%2003.html
    Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 07-06-07 at 08:56 AM.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bickering is doing nothing for the advancement and popularity of e-bikes. Please people be productive. Everyone is allowed their own opinion. There is no need for people to act like children. I personally would love to see more e-bikes everywhere, no matter what shape or form. As long as the rider is having fun. It would be better to have a spirit of comradeship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •