Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    new full-suspension electric bike?!?!

    Hey im a noob here, but i heard about this new company that has a new full-suspension bike out. www.synergycycle.com

    I was able to recently ride this bike at their store and let me tell you, this bike is AWESOME. it is a dual-shock full suspension design and it just cruises over ANY bump like its nothing. and it easily pulled me (220 lbs) up any hill. What was even better was that I could pedal whenever i wanted to go even faster than what the motor could do.

    just thought this might help a few ppl who were looking into purchasing a new electric bike that would be perfect as a commuter. i bought one and i just love it. it is absolutely perfect for my 2 mile commute to work everyday.

  2. #2
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might own an electric bicycle one day. It might be great for those times I come home from work after having put in a 30 mile commute day plus 8 hours work and I need to go back out for a couple items at the store. Just hop on and go. Then it would be even harder to have an excuse to drive.
    No worries

  3. #3
    DC fixie-commuter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    My Bikes
    Outback fixed gear (commuter), Giant TCR (tri's and road), Cannondale f700 (XC)
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LBM, you may have to wait tho. the website says the range of the bike is only 20 miles...wonder if you can still pedal like a normal bike once the battery dies, and how heavy that would be...
    Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    Henrik Tikkanen

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Rocky HT
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't hate me for saying this butttt... I'd love to pass people on those things on my non-motorized bike!

    Would be a cool idea for those who want to get onto a bike but don't want (or can't) excert alot of energy. Hopefully we'll see more people on these rather than in their cars.

  5. #5
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiingfinny
    LBM, you may have to wait tho. the website says the range of the bike is only 20 miles...wonder if you can still pedal like a normal bike once the battery dies, and how heavy that would be...
    In all honesty, it's do-able, but the battery probably weighs as much as the bike.
    No worries

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those lead-acid batteries lose a lot of energy in cold weather. People will get a good workout pedaling those monsters home on a winter night.

    Paul

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a Walmart bike with a 50 pound battery attached. I bet the thing dies once it starts raining. You better have Lance Armstrong's legs when that thing runs out of juice.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,253
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A much better version is done by
    http://www.apriliaenjoy.com/

    It uses an extruded Al shell, not hi-ten steel pipes. They are working on a fuel cell version with a range of 75km.

  9. #9
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    They are working on a fuel cell version with a range of 75km.
    One of the really neat things, if I understand correctly, is that the fuel cell ("battery") can be refilled quickly, instead of having to wait for a standard battery to recharge for hours.
    No worries

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiingfunny-Yeah you can easily pedal when the battery dies. You can pedal with the motor as well. Thats what makes this bike so awesome. You would be a complete idiot to just sit there with your thumb on the throttle and waste all the battery like in 20 miles. What makes it so utilatarian is the fact that you only need to use the motor when you need it...like powering through an dangerous intersection...or up a steep hill.

    Kris A-yeah but you have to understand the concept of this bike. Is it designed for fit, athletic person who demands high end componentry? of course not. its designed for a person (like myself) who wants to commute to work in somethin other than my car and not have to get sweaty and stinky by the time i get there. PLUS, its perfect for an older person who maybe isnt as fit and healthy as he/she were 20 years ago. This gives them the chance to go out and get a nice bike ride and enjoy the world without killing them and making them bed ridden for the next 3 days.

    And i dont really understand all the negative remarks towards it. Have any of you with bad things to say ever ridden it? i think not. The whole motor/battery system weighs about 60lbs. Thats not bad...considering what you get out of it. I have ridden mine in the rain and cold....NEVER had a problem.
    As for the Walmart remark....again....i bet you have never seen this bike in person. This is FAR from a walmart bike. It is very well-built in Taiwan...not some Thailand knockoff. It comes from a reputable factory.

    As for the Aprilia bike....i bet the thing cant be had for under $2000. For that price you might as well by a small car. I mean...thats what makes the Synergy so perfect...its an awesome commuter that will not leave you stranded if the battery runs out...and its nice on the wallet. PLUS....look how ugly the Aprilia looks. Why do you want to stand out while riding or commuting? I just love when I zip past people and they stare because they cant figure it out. Thats whats great about the synergy, it is just plain good looking...without all the extraneous plastic and fiberglass shell. The battery is easy to remove (in about 5 seconds) and it turns into a regular pedal bike.

  11. #11
    We drive on the left. Dutchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUGLY!!!
    I'd rather be riding.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    FUGLY!!!
    is that remark directed to the synergy or the aprilia?

  13. #13
    RetroGrouchWrench Rural Roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Central Iowa
    My Bikes
    Schwinn's: World Voyager, Tempo, 754, 594, 2 Travelers, Mesa Runner, and a few cheepies.
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Synergy looks like a city bike, the Enjoy reminds me of the mopeds sold back in the 70s.
    If either unit could reduce by 10% the cars on the road not to mention force cagers to get used to 2 wheelers on the road. How bout putting all the lawyers on electropeds! Think the underwear nazi will have proablems with their briefs?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly!! thats what needs to happen. We need to get all the people who DONT ride bikes right now to get on these.

    Keith down at Electric Sierra Cycles told me that he has put almost 2.5% of the population of Santa Cruz on electric bikes.

    Now look at these numbers: Santa Cruz has those huge alternative energy busses for public transportation. Each one costs the county nearly $1,000,000. Multiply that by 5 (the amount they have and use) and you have $5,000,000. Now here is the kicker.....the Santa Cruz public transportation ONLY transport approx 1% of the population.

    Look at the numbers. For the fraction of the cost electric bikes put DOUBLE the amount of ppl out of their cars and onto bikes. If we could get say $1,000,000 grants from biking communities/cities across the country to give as rebates on these bikes (even more buyer incentive than just an awesome product) imagine what we could do to the ever growing problem of global pollution. We would be helping more than 1 problem. The United States has the number 1 obesity rate of all countries. Why? Because we consume too much and do not exercise. With these bikes....we can get larger ppl out riding, burning calories but not burning them out mentally on exercising.
    Now of course, I did not expect ppl on this site to "love" these bikes due mainly to the fact that you are all avid bike riders who enjoy the sport naturally if you will. But I know all of you have older friends/parents or people who dont exercise or ride as much as you because of the fact that its: A. too much stress on weakening bodies or B.the mental factor of extreme exercise turns people away. This product is for those people not too mention the people who want to commute to work and not be sweaty or stinky by the time they get there.
    We all know how much of a problem congestion and pollution from cars is causing. Why not promote a product such as this that will get EVERYBODY out of their cars and onto alternative transportation. But not onto a product that is gawky, outlandish; rather one that is sleek, subtle and utilatarian.
    So, if all of you can help out Keith down at Electric Sierra Cycles, it would be awesome. This is a new world movement and the Synergy should be at the top.
    So...I hate to sound like a tree-hugger...but do your part by getting more ppl onto bikes and out of their cars. By promoting this product...you are not just gaining sells/profit for a company, but you are contributing to the failing earth, planet and ultimately your home. Sounds very wishy-washy and deep....but if you dont think its the truth...go pick up a science book or scientific magazine. You've seen it on the TV, heard it on the radio....its all too real and the Synergy is striving to stop...and turn the cycle around.
    Enough of my diatribe.
    I love this site....ive ben looking for a site of fellow bicyclists like myself.

  15. #15
    We drive on the left. Dutchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that remark directed to the synergy or the aprilia?
    Both, I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near either of those bikes. I figure if you don't want to pedal a bike, buy a moped or motorbike.

    CHEERS.

    Mark
    I'd rather be riding.

  16. #16
    Mr Jerk
    Guest
    If I designed an electric bike, I would prolly use smaller tires/wheels, why use 26" tires/wheels?

    I'd like to see an electric bent.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    Both, I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near either of those bikes. I figure if you don't want to pedal a bike, buy a moped or motorbike.

    CHEERS.

    Mark
    hehe....we can all tell you know little in consumer demands for the United States.

  18. #18
    Mr Jerk
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by csvt
    hehe....we can all tell you know little in consumer demands for the United States.
    try riding up hill for 20 min, I wouldnt want to show up at work all hot and sweaty! The electric bike solves this problem.

  19. #19
    We drive on the left. Dutchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try riding up hill for 20 min, I wouldnt want to show up at work all hot and sweaty!
    I already do that, actually it is more like an hour uphill before work ~25km. I just jump in the shower, problem solved.

    CHEERS.

    Mark
    I'd rather be riding.

  20. #20
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to ride an electric bike, ride one that looks good (IMO) and costs less than all the ones mentioned so far...
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/igadget/te4371.html

  21. #21
    put our Heads Together cerewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    southeast pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike
    Posts
    3,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    shocks

    well, don't buy that Rietti that BlastRadius mentioned if you want suspension, though.
    Some awesome folks who are working to give Haitians the ability to manage their safety and their lives:
    Haiti Partners

  22. #22
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, road are pretty smooth where I commute.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I saw a couple of these bike ridden by non athletic people who had an athletic partner. A great way of being able to enjoy cycling together, when your abilities dont match.

    A big part of the US obesity problem is due to the Sugar lobby, which is blocking World Health Organization initiatives to reduce sugar consumption. It is not only the oil and insurance industries that are funding GWBush

  24. #24
    Rhymes With Bike Schiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csvt
    Kiingfunny-Yeah you can easily pedal when the battery dies. You can pedal with the motor as well. Thats what makes this bike so awesome. You would be a complete idiot to just sit there with your thumb on the throttle and waste all the battery like in 20 miles. What makes it so utilatarian is the fact that you only need to use the motor when you need it...like powering through an dangerous intersection...or up a steep hill.

    Kris A-yeah but you have to understand the concept of this bike. Is it designed for fit, athletic person who demands high end componentry? of course not. its designed for a person (like myself) who wants to commute to work in somethin other than my car and not have to get sweaty and stinky by the time i get there. PLUS, its perfect for an older person who maybe isnt as fit and healthy as he/she were 20 years ago. This gives them the chance to go out and get a nice bike ride and enjoy the world without killing them and making them bed ridden for the next 3 days.

    And i dont really understand all the negative remarks towards it. Have any of you with bad things to say ever ridden it? i think not. The whole motor/battery system weighs about 60lbs. Thats not bad...considering what you get out of it. I have ridden mine in the rain and cold....NEVER had a problem.
    As for the Walmart remark....again....i bet you have never seen this bike in person. This is FAR from a walmart bike. It is very well-built in Taiwan...not some Thailand knockoff. It comes from a reputable factory.

    As for the Aprilia bike....i bet the thing cant be had for under $2000. For that price you might as well by a small car. I mean...thats what makes the Synergy so perfect...its an awesome commuter that will not leave you stranded if the battery runs out...and its nice on the wallet. PLUS....look how ugly the Aprilia looks. Why do you want to stand out while riding or commuting? I just love when I zip past people and they stare because they cant figure it out. Thats whats great about the synergy, it is just plain good looking...without all the extraneous plastic and fiberglass shell. The battery is easy to remove (in about 5 seconds) and it turns into a regular pedal bike.
    CSVT-

    How long have you worked for this company?
    destructible.
    In The Crosshairs

  25. #25
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastRadius
    If you're going to ride an electric bike, ride one that looks good (IMO) and costs less than all the ones mentioned so far...
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/igadget/te4371.html
    Anybody notice the similarity between this and the 1964 Bowden Spacelander?
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •