Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I still can't pass up a commute race, even on an electric

    I sure got a good workout this morning. I was going about 22 on my Bionx, and I was slowly approaching a roadie. The guy looked pretty fit so I wasn't surprised it took a little longer to catch up to him. I think he was going 20 and I could tell he wasn't pushing himself. Once I did pass him, he latched on my rear like a train even though I sped up to 24. He was so close, I think his front wheel overlapped my rear wheel. Then I had to stop becuase of construction. Once I was allowed through, he just took off in front of me. Ok, so I couldn't let a human outrun a motor! I pushed myself to go 30 in order to pass him. I think he was going about 28 on the flats! It took a quarter mile to pass him. He muttered something when I passed, but I couldn't make out what he said. After I passed him, we hit a small incline so it was no contest at that point. He fell far back and I didn't see him again.

    But man, I wish I had legs like that! I was impressed!

  2. #2
    Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sterling VA
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Posts
    3,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month riding my road bike on my commute home, I saw a MTB pull out onto the trail ahead of me. I thought - MTB! I'll run down this infidel in short order [usually MTB are slower, though some riders are pretty strong]. In short order he started pulling away. That triggered me to pursue (I had a hunch) and confirm he had an electric motor font hub. I did have to reach 24 mph and take over a minute to catch up.
    My normal road bike commute speed is closer to 16mph. When I get my Bionx installed on my cross bike next week I hope to pull some 20+ mph commutes.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

  3. #3
    Senior Member blippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding my electric bike last year when I came across a guy all decked out with the team logo's on his shirt, expensive trial type bike. He was about 100 ahead of me. So I thought what the heck, lets see if I can keep up with him. Well it didn't take long, and I passed him on a hill. He was going a pretty fast speed for the hill. I thought to myself this guy probably did 25 miles at least already. But it is the first time I ever passed a die hard biker. I'm used to seeing them zoom past me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another story riding against a fast roadie. I was casually riding home about 18 mph and passed a roadie who stopped for a break. After about 3 miles, I see this bicyclist in my rear view mirror, 100m away... That never happens. Bicyclist don't ever catch up to me. So I thought, I'll pick it up... I need a little more exercise anyway. I sped up to 23 and the guy was still there... a tad bit closer. I then had to stop at a red light so he got up close before the light turned green. I decided, I better pick it up so I pushed myself to go 26 and the guy was able to follow me for the next mile. I got slowed at another light, but didn't need to stop. So at this point, I let the guy in front of me. As he passed, first thing i said was "man, you're fast!". I told him I had an electric bike and he was the first guy to pass me. For the next 3 miles, I let him lead and he kept up 25-26 mph the whole time. We hit a slight incline, so I decided at that point to take the lead. I pushed it up to 28 and it was the last I saw of him.

    Again... I just couldn't let a human beat me since I have a motor. If I get passed by a regular bike, i'd be pretty lame. I doubt if I could ever train myself to go that fast on a regular bike. I have a back problem so I can't get into an aero tuck position so my aerodynamics suck (not to mention other problems stemming from my back). But I'm sure I could train up a little more.

    Anyway, running into these roadies makes the commute a lot of fun. I'm actually hoping to run into another electric bicyclist. That would be a nice "race".

  5. #5
    It's easy being green. recumelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in the desert
    My Bikes
    Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you guys getting over 20 mph with Bionx? Have you disabled the speed controllers or are you using the big, 500W, only legal in California versions?
    When I ride, the troubles just roll off my back.

    Originally Posted by Cody Broken :
    Every ride is a mission, a race, an adventure, a quest.
    Every bike is noble steed, a stalwart machine, a clever device, a stealthy speedster.

  6. #6
    pedalphile
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ellington, ct
    My Bikes
    trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon
    Posts
    1,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do controllers limit power or rpm?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recumelectric View Post
    How are you guys getting over 20 mph with Bionx? Have you disabled the speed controllers or are you using the big, 500W, only legal in California versions?
    I'm not sure about Bionix, but I have a pair of Schwinn bikes with the currie motor, 450w and with a 60volt battery pack, It'll do 40mph without pedal assist. If I change the controller, it'll probably do 50mph.

    And it's a $350 bike from Canadian tire!!


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recumelectric View Post
    How are you guys getting over 20 mph with Bionx? Have you disabled the speed controllers or are you using the big, 500W, only legal in California versions?
    I have the PL500HS.

    I used to have the PL250. I'd turn off the speed limit too, but it was harder to feel the assist the closer I got to 25mph. Once you pass 25, it's harder to ride with the electric assist than with a regular bike.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekker pete View Post
    Do controllers limit power or rpm?
    I have no experience with one--but apparently the standard Bionx controller limits the speed to 20 mph. There is a code you can enter to disable that limit, but I don't know how much faster it will work at.
    ~

  10. #10
    It's easy being green. recumelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in the desert
    My Bikes
    Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duracutter View Post
    I'm not sure about Bionix, but I have a pair of Schwinn bikes with the currie motor, 450w and with a 60volt battery pack, It'll do 40mph without pedal assist. If I change the controller, it'll probably do 50mph.

    And it's a $350 bike from Canadian tire!!

    That's a scooter, not a bicycle! ...The 20 mph controller exists because that's the legal limit for an electric bicycle. All of the states in the U.S. have that regulation. Any faster, and you've got to get a license and all.

    ...I know that a lot of folks are out there riding these things anyway. I am concerned that the increasing popularity will result in some crackdowns on electric bicycles.

    I also think that the law needs to be modified a little, since strong riders and/or riders under the right conditions (think downhill and tailwinds) can go over 20 without electricity. ...
    When I ride, the troubles just roll off my back.

    Originally Posted by Cody Broken :
    Every ride is a mission, a race, an adventure, a quest.
    Every bike is noble steed, a stalwart machine, a clever device, a stealthy speedster.

  11. #11
    Que CERA, CERA jefferee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Ontario, the law only requires that the electric assist be inoperable above 32 km/h (that's 20 mph in American) and total motor power be less than 500 W. I'm pretty sure that riding an e-bike above that speed is legal, as long as it's powered only by some combination of wind, gravity, and muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMantra View Post
    Cycling (taken to the typical roadie extreme) causes you to cough up your own soul as every fibre of your worthless being sings in choral agony. Once you embrace the pain everything is dandy.

  12. #12
    P7 Fanboy JinbaIttai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Crippled Burrick Inn
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recumelectric View Post
    That's a scooter, not a bicycle! ...The 20 mph controller exists because that's the legal limit for an electric bicycle. All of the states in the U.S. have that regulation. Any faster, and you've got to get a license and all...
    The way your response is worded implies that this is a speed limit regulation that is enforced by police. That is inaccurate. This regulation for electric bikes is about keeping dangerous products from being sold to the public.

    By legal limit, the bike, or "product" is considered a danger to the rider or "consumer" if it can exceed 20 mph (if you weigh 170lbs). If it exceeds 20 mph, the consequences are to the maker of the product for selling a dangerous low-speed electric bicycle to the public. Bikes do not magically turn into scooters when they exceed 20 mph (contrary to the belief of the crooked police and courthouse in Scottsdale, AZ).
    Last edited by JinbaIttai; 09-17-08 at 08:09 PM.

  13. #13
    Uniekje
    Guest

    Talking Thats sad

    I had a simular experience only i was in my SUV.
    VROOOM

  14. #14
    It's easy being green. recumelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in the desert
    My Bikes
    Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
    By legal limit, the bike, or "product" is considered a danger to the rider or "consumer" if it can exceed 20 mph (if you weigh 170lbs). If it exceeds 20 mph, the consequences are to the maker of the product for selling a dangerous low-speed electric bicycle to the public. Bikes do not magically turn into scooters when they exceed 20 mph (contrary to the belief of the crooked police and courthouse in Scottsdale, AZ).
    I read on the link you posted. Scottsdale is part of my ride, so I have to deal with that obstacle. ...I've only exceeded the limit once, by 1 mph, for a few seconds, when I had a car behind me and I couldn't get over. ...So no troubles yet.
    When I ride, the troubles just roll off my back.

    Originally Posted by Cody Broken :
    Every ride is a mission, a race, an adventure, a quest.
    Every bike is noble steed, a stalwart machine, a clever device, a stealthy speedster.

  15. #15
    It's easy being green. recumelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    in the desert
    My Bikes
    Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferee View Post
    In Ontario, the law only requires that the electric assist be inoperable above 32 km/h (that's 20 mph in American) and total motor power be less than 500 W. I'm pretty sure that riding an e-bike above that speed is legal, as long as it's powered only by some combination of wind, gravity, and muscles.
    It's the same law here. I can go over 20 mph on my own power + gravity + wind. I'm not that strong of a cyclist under normal conditions, though. Hence, my reason for a motor.

    The poster seemed to be saying that he was getting 40 mph without pedaling. That seems to fall into scooter territory.
    When I ride, the troubles just roll off my back.

    Originally Posted by Cody Broken :
    Every ride is a mission, a race, an adventure, a quest.
    Every bike is noble steed, a stalwart machine, a clever device, a stealthy speedster.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Snowsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah moped speed there

  17. #17
    Green Miles
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Pro Connect e-bike, Dawes Galaxy
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why turn it into a competition? It is really annoying when you encounter people on any form of transport who have to race each other. They are always dangerous because they have to out do each other regardless of the hazards they create. The wost ones are adolescents on scooters where none of them can bear to be left behind so they pull all types of dangerous stunts to keep up.

    Go to a racetrack

  18. #18
    The Professor akohekohe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    O'ahu
    My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recumelectric View Post
    The 20 mph controller exists because that's the legal limit for an electric bicycle. All of the states in the U.S. have that regulation. Any faster, and you've got to get a license and all.
    We don't seem to have a specific law for electric bicycles here in Hawaii. There has been one introduced into the legislature for the last two years but it didn't pass. So, as far as I can tell, motorized bicycles are in fact considered mopeds. They are limited to 35 mph. The license for a moped and a bicycle are identical so this doesn't seem to create any issues I know of. Both are required to ride in bicycle lanes.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamtki View Post
    Another story riding against a fast roadie. I was casually riding home about 18 mph and passed a roadie who stopped for a break. After about 3 miles, I see this bicyclist in my rear view mirror, 100m away... That never happens. Bicyclist don't ever catch up to me. So I thought, I'll pick it up... I need a little more exercise anyway. I sped up to 23 and the guy was still there... a tad bit closer. I then had to stop at a red light so he got up close before the light turned green. I decided, I better pick it up so I pushed myself to go 26 and the guy was able to follow me for the next mile. I got slowed at another light, but didn't need to stop. So at this point, I let the guy in front of me. As he passed, first thing i said was "man, you're fast!". I told him I had an electric bike and he was the first guy to pass me. For the next 3 miles, I let him lead and he kept up 25-26 mph the whole time. We hit a slight incline, so I decided at that point to take the lead. I pushed it up to 28 and it was the last I saw of him.

    Again... I just couldn't let a human beat me since I have a motor. If I get passed by a regular bike, i'd be pretty lame. I doubt if I could ever train myself to go that fast on a regular bike. I have a back problem so I can't get into an aero tuck position so my aerodynamics suck (not to mention other problems stemming from my back). But I'm sure I could train up a little more.

    Anyway, running into these roadies makes the commute a lot of fun. I'm actually hoping to run into another electric bicyclist. That would be a nice "race".
    Got news for you, but most competitive road bikers can easily hold 25mph for well over an hour while drafting, and a "good" road cyclist paceline will routinely do 27mph or so for 50 miles on flat territory.

    I'd actually be impressed to see an e-bike keeping up with the pacelines I've been riding with - we hit sections of 30+ mph pickups on straightaways fairly frequently before coming back down to 26mph. The sprint pickups that the group does are well into the 700+ watt territory gauged by guys using Powertaps. I'm sure you could easily do it with a 500watt bike engine, but it's pretty rare to see one of those around here.
    Last edited by agarose2000; 01-01-10 at 08:09 AM.
    =======================================
    Cervelo P2C Dura-Ace 2008

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The F/V Misty Moon/Clatsop Co. OR homebase
    My Bikes
    Some
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Going Postal?

    Quote Originally Posted by agarose2000 View Post
    Got news for you, but most competitive road bikers can easily hold 25mph for well over an hour while drafting, and a "good" road cyclist paceline will routinely do 27mph or so for 50 miles on flat territory.
    The fastest ever Tour de France was in 2005 and the average speed was 25.88 mph. The stage lengths differ but the road ones are well over 100 miles and the amount of elevation gained is also up there. I would think that an average rider on an e bike, certainly with an average rider aboard, would be hard pressed to make the top tier at the event.

    Instead of trying to beat a cyclist why not offer to let them take advantage of your draft? I have been on both ends of that scenario and it is very effective, especially in a headwind situation.

  21. #21
    Pedal faster not harder.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Thunder Bay
    My Bikes
    Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabman View Post
    The fastest ever Tour de France was in 2005 and the average speed was 25.88 mph. The stage lengths differ but the road ones are well over 100 miles and the amount of elevation gained is also up there. I would think that an average rider on an e bike, certainly with an average rider aboard, would be hard pressed to make the top tier at the event.

    Instead of trying to beat a cyclist why not offer to let them take advantage of your draft? I have been on both ends of that scenario and it is very effective, especially in a headwind situation.
    Well said Mabman,

    I have done just such a thing with our local Mtb racing club. I took a group of Juniors for an hour of pacing behind my ebike as an experiment. They rode their mountain bikes with slicks. This was on paved roads. They didn't have much trouble staying on the wheel on the flats, but up any incline mild to moderate I had them seeing stars, I had to ease up a few times to let them get back on. As long as there is juice in the battery the ebike doesn't get tired or fade on the hills. Great workout for everyone involved, me included.

    We may do it again next year.

  22. #22
    Junior Member SoSauty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up MPH claims could use some contexual info

    I'm not sure about Bionix, but I have a pair of Schwinn bikes with the currie motor, 450w and with a 60volt battery pack, It'll do 40mph without pedal assist. If I change the controller, it'll probably do 50mph.

    And it's a $350 bike from Canadian tire!!

    I'm cautious about 30mph+ claims. Don't mean to say they aren't so, but I deal with 16 to 24mph top speeds. Going 30mph+ would 1) scare me, 2) be dangerous for this old man, and 3) doesn't happen when I drop 800' over 2.5 miles down a small mountain (northeastern AL).

    Last year I commuted 6mi one way with a modest 225' hill to college. I used a 36+V Lith-ion battery which would hold 17-19mph with lite pedalling; 14-15mph climbing the hill with moderate pedalling. The return trip headed directly into the afternoon ~15mph prevailing winds. With the battery partially used up, I often had to down shift and pedal a tad harder to hold 16mph. Sometimes the wind didn't come up and other times a hot 25mph furnace blast would force a 2 gear downshift.

    Roadies didn't pass me for the longest yet one day, I blew by a guy sitting at a red light which turned green before I scrubbed off my speed. Quarter mile later he eased on by with a good 4-5mph to spare. Hmmm. . .

    With a full load of classes, already being fatigued off and on, and more commutting the next semester, I opted for a 48+V upgrade. My old C-lyte 409 came to life, probably a 30% gain in torque. I'm not sure how fast it'll run, sorta fizzes on toque around 24mph. My comfort 80rpm cadence runs out of gearing around 20mph, so that's a sweet cruise speed. Think I've only hit full 100% throttle on 3 occassions this last 6 months. Most impressive, the head winds and hill can't defeat it.

    Have to race any and everyone! Pulled up by 2 crotch rockets at a red light last week. Got their attention and challenged them to race. They laughed. Now I know how these lights are timed. Green light, they pull away, I build to 20+mph hour. 1/4 mile later I pass 'em as they sit at the next red light that's turning green, throw my hands in the air yelled "I win" from the middle of the intersection. Got a thumbs up as they he hawed by me.
    Last edited by SoSauty; 01-01-10 at 07:08 PM. Reason: left out a word
    "Never let a public transit bus win."

  23. #23
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,373
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a clyde turning roadie, and have had interest in electric bikes as a possible commuting solution.

    Racing "roadies" on an electric bike has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What does it prove? Wanna race my car or motorcycle? or maybe I could charter a plane.
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  24. #24
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,147
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Racing "roadies" on an electric bike has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    Perhaps we can also look at weightlifting contests between humans and forklifts.

    My friend's Bionx equipped Catrike can easily exceed the legal limit for power assisted bikes here (50 kmh)... and I have hit 60 kmh on it without breaking a sweat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •