Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-09, 09:24 AM   #1
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!
Thread Starter
 
The Big Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Local trails
Bikes:
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best deal on a 10Ah36V LiFePo4 battery pack?

I'm looking on purchasing this battery for the E-zip bike.

The best deal I have found so far was $568 which includes: 10Ah36V LiFePo4 battery pack in bag+BMS+2A charger ( 6 hours).


I was wondering if anyone has found a better deal?
The Big Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 09:35 AM   #2
crackerdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where did you find this?
crackerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 12:32 PM   #3
misslexi
Senior Member
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's right around what I paid for my 20AH pack.

Someone else posted this link, they may be worth checking out.

http://www.falconev.com/batteries.html
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:15 PM   #4
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy
 
JinbaIttai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Crippled Burrick Inn
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$319
http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/t...Battery/Detail
JinbaIttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:34 PM   #5
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!
Thread Starter
 
The Big Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Local trails
Bikes:
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed ping is selling several versions of this battery.

What is the main difference between the 10Ah, 12Ah, 16Ah and 20Ah 36V batteries as far as applications for the e-zip bike go?

Last edited by The Big Wheel; 01-21-09 at 08:49 PM.
The Big Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 01:38 AM   #6
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy
 
JinbaIttai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Crippled Burrick Inn
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I've read up a little more carefully about over-volting E-zip Trails bikes, I'd be cautious about using ping batteries to do so.

Too much current draw.

Where Ping recommends operating a 36V 12ah battery at a current discharge of 12 amps, with occasional spikes to 24 amps, that Ezip will want to draw more like 30 amps, with spikes up in the 40s.

The ping pack has over-current protection that kicks in somewhere around 25-30 amps.
You'll be tripping that battery during no pedal starts and going up hills on a regular basis and worse, the ping battery might be worked too hard on a day to day basis to live a long life to see 1000+ cycles.
Although a ping 36V 20ah battery would be better, still you'd be operating it beyond its rated discharge rate of 20 amps anytime you dig deep into the throttle.

Sorry I brought up Ping, probably not the ideal choice in your particular application.

Those falconev batteries look like they could handle the current, but the math seems to indicate, using a 36V 10ah, you'd only get about 10-15 minutes of distance, no pedaling, heavy throttle. A 36V 20ah should double that.
JinbaIttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:14 AM   #7
leamcorp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
Now that I've read up a little more carefully about over-volting E-zip Trails bikes, I'd be cautious about using ping batteries to do so.

Too much current draw.

Where Ping recommends operating a 36V 12ah battery at a current discharge of 12 amps, with occasional spikes to 24 amps, that Ezip will want to draw more like 30 amps, with spikes up in the 40s.

The ping pack has over-current protection that kicks in somewhere around 25-30 amps.
You'll be tripping that battery during no pedal starts and going up hills on a regular basis and worse, the ping battery might be worked too hard on a day to day basis to live a long life to see 1000+ cycles.
Although a ping 36V 20ah battery would be better, still you'd be operating it beyond its rated discharge rate of 20 amps anytime you dig deep into the throttle.

Sorry I brought up Ping, probably not the ideal choice in your particular application.

Those falconev batteries look like they could handle the current, but the math seems to indicate, using a 36V 10ah, you'd only get about 10-15 minutes of distance, no pedaling, heavy throttle. A 36V 20ah should double that.
Never had this problem with either Ping or another Chinese battery. Ezip trail at most will draw 20amp. I've never seen it go beyond that as Ezip motor isn't that strong. My current setup draws 30-35amps and no problem at that level either.
leamcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 08:28 AM   #8
abu_pinhus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currie motor is 450 watt, at 36 v it shall not need more than 12.5 amp, at 24volt no more than 18.75, isn't?
abu_pinhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:08 PM   #9
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy
 
JinbaIttai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Crippled Burrick Inn
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamcorp View Post
Never had this problem with either Ping or another Chinese battery. Ezip trail at most will draw 20amp. I've never seen it go beyond that as Ezip motor isn't that strong. My current setup draws 30-35amps and no problem at that level either.

Not from firsthand experience, but this user saw these results:


Bike 2008 Ezip trailz mountain bike
36v 10ah lifePO4 battery pack

Tested twice over two days in hot weather to get a base line and averages
Day 1 94 degrees, Day 2 92 degrees
Total distance 12.98 miles
No peddling at all not even on starts
Started with fully charged cells, measured at 42v
Stopped 17 times for lights, stop signs
Tested on a 4 mile loop that is 50% down hill and 50% uphill
2 miles down, then 2 miles up, hill is mild nothing major
Speed down hill avg. 27 - 29 MPH
Speed uphill avg. 23 - 25MPH
Average amps 34, max amps 42

Quoted from this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...it=Ezip+Trails

I hope I'm not mixing up bikes here.
JinbaIttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:41 PM   #10
Antranik
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
You'll be tripping that battery during no pedal starts and going up hills on a regular basis and worse, the ping battery might be worked too hard on a day to day basis to live a long life to see 1000+ cycles.
Although a ping 36V 20ah battery would be better, still you'd be operating it beyond its rated discharge rate of 20 amps anytime you dig deep into the throttle.
I don't know anything about the e-zip or what it could handle, but I could tell you I've used 10ah batteries before and they DO cut out sometimes from the excessive current draw going uphill for more than a quarter mile. I feel the 15ah pack I'm using can handle everything all the better and it feels good knowing it has a very long range.

Quote:
Those falconev batteries look like they could handle the current, but the math seems to indicate, using a 36V 10ah, you'd only get about 10-15 minutes of distance, no pedaling, heavy throttle. A 36V 20ah should double that.
That sounds terrible and doesn't make sense, sorry, the numbers just don't make sense. A 20ah battery should last much longer than 30 minutes even without any peddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
Not from firsthand experience, but this user saw these results:

Bike 2008 Ezip trailz mountain bike
36v 10ah lifePO4 battery pack

Tested twice over two days in hot weather to get a base line and averages
Day 1 94 degrees, Day 2 92 degrees
Total distance 12.98 miles
No peddling at all not even on starts
Started with fully charged cells, measured at 42v
Stopped 17 times for lights, stop signs
Tested on a 4 mile loop that is 50% down hill and 50% uphill
2 miles down, then 2 miles up, hill is mild nothing major
Speed down hill avg. 27 - 29 MPH
Speed uphill avg. 23 - 25MPH
Average amps 34, max amps 42

Quoted from this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...it=Ezip+Trails

I hope I'm not mixing up bikes here.
Are you linking the proper thread? I didn't find this block of text in there.
Antranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 03:03 PM   #11
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy
 
JinbaIttai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Crippled Burrick Inn
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's on the second page.

I was calculating using a falconEV 10ah battery, and figuring current draw 30-40 amps.

Last edited by JinbaIttai; 01-26-09 at 03:06 PM.
JinbaIttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 05:55 PM   #12
misslexi
Senior Member
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_pinhus View Post
Currie motor is 450 watt, at 36 v it shall not need more than 12.5 amp, at 24volt no more than 18.75, isn't?
This is a good question. Does the Currie 450 watt motor refer to it's input or output? Since we know it's not 100% efficient the answer to that question could mean the difference between a pack that cuts out and one that doesn't.

If it means 450 watt output (which is all I would really care about) and lets grant it 85% nominal efficiency, the power input would need to be about 530 watts, or 14.7 amperes at 36 volts, 22 amperes at 24 volts.

In this case we could imagine a 36 volt 12AH BMS-controlled pack to probably cutout from time to time, a 15AH pack may not.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 03:39 PM   #13
nicobie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now the only LiFePo4 battery pack I'd consider would be one from Ping.

36v/12ah $319

http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront

Nick
nicobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 02:04 PM   #14
abu_pinhus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure that motors classified by output, I would assume that they classified by input.
abu_pinhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 07:41 PM   #15
raevyn
Senior Member
 
raevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Bikes: Electra townie 21, electic conversion kit, Dahon folder ,Customized Nashiki
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try looking at www.itselectric.ca
the batteries are pretty good there
raevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 08:45 PM   #16
E-BikeKit.com
E-BikeKit™ Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.e-bikekit.com/buybatteries.html

We have just started selling a new LiFePO4 pack we have been working on for months. A new USA "Dealer Friendly" 36v/500w kit that was made to go with the battery pack will be unveiled in the next week or so.

Last edited by E-BikeKit.com; 02-03-09 at 08:48 PM.
E-BikeKit.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 09:38 PM   #17
karma
Senior Member
 
karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hamilton,ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes i read the review last nite looks like my next pack

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...php?f=4&t=8452
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 10:50 PM   #18
misslexi
Senior Member
 
misslexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, they look nicer than duct tape packs.
misslexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 11:13 PM   #19
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy
 
JinbaIttai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Crippled Burrick Inn
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah it does look good. Too bad there are no 48V packs available yet, better yet, split in half for panniers.
JinbaIttai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 08:29 AM   #20
raevyn
Senior Member
 
raevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Bikes: Electra townie 21, electic conversion kit, Dahon folder ,Customized Nashiki
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use one of the 48v packs from ItsElectric! and I have never had a problem with it. they arent that big either
raevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 AM.