Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Schwinn, Trek, something else?

    Considering an ebike. I often commute by bike (Trek 7100 hybrid), 30 miles round trip urban. Getting tired of it.

    Since I was previously considering a Trek 7.3, perhaps just get the Trek that is a 7.3 with edrive? Or one of the Schwinns. The Schwinns (Tailwind, WorldGSE, etc) have a 250 watt and front hub. The Treks seem to have 350 watt and rear hub. Tailwind is out of the question because of price, but the others are all around $2000 - $2400. Insane I think, but considering a kit can easily be $1500, add in a 7.3 and it isn't far off.

    Or NYCEwheels (not far from me) has the Forza. Deluxe version costs more than some of the Schwinn/Treks. The center mounted battery is probably more stable than a rack mount. (?)

    All are likely much better than the Pacific Bikes Terra, but that's only $900.

    I thought about getting a kit for my 7100, but I think I'd prefer a front wheel motor and I read the warnings about ripping an aluminum fork apart.

    Money is an issue, but $2000 really seems to be the point of getting a good ebike.

    The bike law changes in December here in NYC, and commercial buildings will have to let bikes in. I won't buy one until then at least.

    Well, that's my current thinking. Any good sources for the Treks and Schwinns that discount a bit?

  2. #2
    Senior Member nwmtnbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgk02 View Post
    Considering an ebike. I often commute by bike (Trek 7100 hybrid), 30 miles round trip urban. Getting tired of it.

    Since I was previously considering a Trek 7.3, perhaps just get the Trek that is a 7.3 with edrive? Or one of the Schwinns. The Schwinns (Tailwind, WorldGSE, etc) have a 250 watt and front hub. The Treks seem to have 350 watt and rear hub. Tailwind is out of the question because of price, but the others are all around $2000 - $2400. Insane I think, but considering a kit can easily be $1500, add in a 7.3 and it isn't far off.

    Or NYCEwheels (not far from me) has the Forza. Deluxe version costs more than some of the Schwinn/Treks. The center mounted battery is probably more stable than a rack mount. (?)

    All are likely much better than the Pacific Bikes Terra, but that's only $900.

    I thought about getting a kit for my 7100, but I think I'd prefer a front wheel motor and I read the warnings about ripping an aluminum fork apart.

    Money is an issue, but $2000 really seems to be the point of getting a good ebike.

    The bike law changes in December here in NYC, and commercial buildings will have to let bikes in. I won't buy one until then at least.

    Well, that's my current thinking. Any good sources for the Treks and Schwinns that discount a bit?
    dgk02,

    You may want to hold off to see if the NY Legislature passes a bill that would amend the current ban on riding electric bikes on public roads. It's not clear whether this bill will pass and be enacted into law before the legislative session ends. It has passed the Assembly (AO2393) but not the Senate (S4014). (Contact your elected officials to let them know you support the bill and want the ban on using electric bikes on public roads lifted.)

    Here's a relevant portion from your state's DMV FAQs section (hopefully more states don't emulate NY) and a link to the state's DMV webpage.

    Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles

    You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

    * Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped.
    * Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
    * Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
    * Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
    * Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

    These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

    NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bethesda, Maryland (just outside Washington DC)
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post

    You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

    ...
    * Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

    These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

    NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions
    Wow.

    Nwmtnbkr, this is something I'm clearly going to need to learn more about. (It's not much of an issue for us in the DC metro area.)

    Can you recommend some good resources that pull info together for the US as a whole?

    For that matter, do you know if NY electric cyclists really been hassled in practice?

    Thanks,

    Charlie
    www.ElectricCyclist.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work with the NYPD every night. The e-bike laws in NYC are not enforced at all. There are tons of them on the street 24/7. Just about every asian delivery has a few. The reason being is there is no penalty for riding one in NY because of the laws that protect wheelchairs. A big joke realy.

    Your lucky to live in NYC as an e-biker. The reason being is you have easy access to a VERY large e-bike community. The most common e-bike in NYC is the Kysmo brand. Mostly because of price and durability. Kysmo is heavily produced and parts are easy to get. Other then Kysmo for dependability and value I recomend the Bionix kits. Im no fan of Bionix but for a complete bike they are pretty nice. Not as dependable as Kysmo but they should make most bikers happy considering they are mounted on some familiar setups.

    TBH you should realy consider buying a bike you like and putting a kit on it yourself.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few 06 GT-IDXC models left in NYC. If you are over 6ft tall they are great for ebikes. Full suspension, durable and light. You can find them as low as 550$ online and around 750$ in NYC. They used to msrp for 1400$.

  6. #6
    Senior Member nwmtnbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyEbiker View Post
    I work with the NYPD every night. The e-bike laws in NYC are not enforced at all. There are tons of them on the street 24/7. Just about every asian delivery has a few. The reason being is there is no penalty for riding one in NY because of the laws that protect wheelchairs. A big joke realy.

    Your lucky to live in NYC as an e-biker. The reason being is you have easy access to a VERY large e-bike community. The most common e-bike in NYC is the Kysmo brand. Mostly because of price and durability. Kysmo is heavily produced and parts are easy to get. Other then Kysmo for dependability and value I recomend the Bionix kits. Im no fan of Bionix but for a complete bike they are pretty nice. Not as dependable as Kysmo but they should make most bikers happy considering they are mounted on some familiar setups.

    TBH you should realy consider buying a bike you like and putting a kit on it yourself.
    JerseyEbiker,

    I don't think that holds true throughout the state and some NY e-bikers on other forums, who feel they cannot ride their e-bikes on public roads without the risk of being stopped and ticketed by local police are trying to get their fellow NY riders to write their elected officials in the state legislature urging them to vote for the legislation that will make use of e-bikes on public streets legal. NYC may turn a blind eye, however, the law is on the books and even if your obeying all traffic laws, if a police officer wants an excuse to pull you over and you're on an e-bike, they've got it.

    crichman,

    Here's a wiki that's helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...#United_States

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'm in touch with my State Senator on this. There are a ton of ebikes on the street already so I'm not too worried, but it's better if they're specifically legal. One of my main bike stores says they are going to get some of them in, but not the 7.2 version. They feel that most folks who want an ebike would like a more relaxed riding position. Maybe. The 7.2 is the more aggressive version of the 7200 hybrid. Currently I have the cheaper 7100.

    I haven't heard of the Kysmo line before and there sure isn't much in the way of bike specifications on their website, but the store is close enough to my job that I can hit it during lunch and take a look. Even the most expensive of their bikes is cheaper than one of the Treks. But I think you do get what you pay for.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgk02 View Post
    Thanks. I'm in touch with my State Senator on this. There are a ton of ebikes on the street already so I'm not too worried, but it's better if they're specifically legal. One of my main bike stores says they are going to get some of them in, but not the 7.2 version. They feel that most folks who want an ebike would like a more relaxed riding position. Maybe. The 7.2 is the more aggressive version of the 7200 hybrid. Currently I have the cheaper 7100.

    I haven't heard of the Kysmo line before and there sure isn't much in the way of bike specifications on their website, but the store is close enough to my job that I can hit it during lunch and take a look. Even the most expensive of their bikes is cheaper than one of the Treks. But I think you do get what you pay for.
    Any trek hybred is going to destroy itself in NYC. If you live in a decent area with smooth roads and no cabs I would say do it up. Im speaking from experience. Those Treks are wonderfull bikes for commuters and pleasure riders but they flex to much and are to thin for an ebike never the less the streets of NYC.

    The kysmo bikes are from top to bottom made sensible. On the showroom floor they are not going to grab your eye all that much. A ride and a few thousand miles later though its a different story. You can upgrade your pack to Lifpo now as well

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyEbiker View Post
    Any trek hybred is going to destroy itself in NYC. If you live in a decent area with smooth roads and no cabs I would say do it up. Im speaking from experience. Those Treks are wonderfull bikes for commuters and pleasure riders but they flex to much and are to thin for an ebike never the less the streets of NYC.

    The kysmo bikes are from top to bottom made sensible. On the showroom floor they are not going to grab your eye all that much. A ride and a few thousand miles later though its a different story. You can upgrade your pack to Lifpo now as well
    I've been riding a lower cost Trek Hybrid in NYC and put between 15-20,000 miles on it. The only real problem was breaking spokes but once I get a better rear wheel that stopped. Of course, as you say the Ebike will be more of a challenge. And the Kysmo is $1000 cheaper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •