Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-09, 09:39 AM   #1
treknavigator
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bion X

Bion X has teamed up with Trek in the ebike market there next move is the getting together with Cycles Lambert to be there supplierand service rep to retail Wondering how this is going to help Bion X What to happen to the smaller retailers that have been with them for years Any thoughts on this out there
treknavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 07:38 AM   #2
martybucs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gradyville, Pennsylvania
Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treknavigator View Post
Bion X has teamed up with Trek in the ebike market there next move is the getting together with Cycles Lambert to be there supplierand service rep to retail Wondering how this is going to help Bion X What to happen to the smaller retailers that have been with them for years Any thoughts on this out there
I researched a lot of e bike kits and went with the Bionx. I test rode their OHM bike and decided to put a kit on mine and my wife's bikes. I called the "smaller retailers" in my area, (near Philadelphia), and some didn't seem to know they were retailers and others said, "well, we haven't done many, but I guess we could put one on, but it takes months to get a kit". Not very inspiring.

Finally found Bob's Bikes in Poolesville, MD, (kind of far away), and Bob was most knowledgeable, let us test ride his OHM. We ordered them from him and it did take a few months, but he installed them for no extra charge.

I would be sad if this adversely affects Bob's Bikes, but I don't think the rest of the dealers in the area would notice.

Recently a couple of e bike stores have opened in the area, but they just sell those cheap Chinese bikes.
martybucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 09:52 AM   #3
crichman
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bethesda, Maryland (just outside Washington DC)
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I've been writing about this on my site. Please feel free to have a look. (I bought a Bionx PL-350 from Bob too.)

I'm curious, which ebike stores are you referring to? I know PHEW on Carpenter Lane in Philly is new -- are there others?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com
crichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:33 AM   #4
treknavigator
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smaller retailers like to sell a small amount at one time hoping Cycles Lambert does not exspect us to hold stock of 30 or so kits to remaimn being a dealer
treknavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 01:28 PM   #5
Nate1952
Senior Member
 
Nate1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City - Turn North at Moab, Go Back 50 Years
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's possible that retailers get into Bionx thinking that it is a mass market product - when, actually, it is an enthusiast product. The market is small, and the best customers for the kit are those that are actually interested in how it works ... rather than Riders looking for a "maintenance free" option.

It wouldn't surprise me if I learned that Bionx was looking for some sort of customer service "buffer" between their customer base and themselves.

The impression I have of the company is that of a group of engineers. Not a group of salesmen. They insist that any service issue go through the local dealer - even if the local dealer is completely indifferent. There are no user forums that are sponsored by the company. And just about anything you do to the unit after purchase voids the warranty.

These are guys who are interested in solving problems. But they seem completely indifferent to what happens to their solutions after they arrive in the hands of users.
Nate1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 07:04 PM   #6
martybucs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gradyville, Pennsylvania
Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crichman View Post
Yes, I've been writing about this on my site. Please feel free to have a look. (I bought a Bionx PL-350 from Bob too.)

I'm curious, which ebike stores are you referring to? I know PHEW on Carpenter Lane in Philly is new -- are there others?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com
I, unfortunately can't remember the names, but I read one bike store in Philly is planning on doing more marketing of ebikes and on Craig's list I saw an ad for an e-bike store in Exton, PA. I think that may be in the planning stages yet. Hope it all comes to fruition.

I drove all the way down to Poolesville to have our e-bikes checked out by Bob and they were in great condition. He chewed me out a little for overriding the speed control. I couldn't stand that on/off pulsing at 20mph. Bob's a great guy, though. Worth the trip.
martybucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 08:36 AM   #7
treknavigator
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let keep up the reseach on Bion X and post all info you can
treknavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 07:56 AM   #8
devartt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martybucs View Post
I researched a lot of e bike kits and went with the Bionx. I test rode their OHM bike and decided to put a kit on mine and my wife's bikes. I called the "smaller retailers" in my area, (near Philadelphia), and some didn't seem to know they were retailers and others said, "well, we haven't done many, but I guess we could put one on, but it takes months to get a kit". Not very inspiring.

Finally found Bob's Bikes in Poolesville, MD, (kind of far away), and Bob was most knowledgeable, let us test ride his OHM. We ordered them from him and it did take a few months, but he installed them for no extra charge.

I would be sad if this adversely affects Bob's Bikes, but I don't think the rest of the dealers in the area would notice.

Recently a couple of e bike stores have opened in the area, but they just sell those cheap Chinese bikes.
Try the bike shop in Mount Airy, MD (Mt Airy Bicycle Company bike123.com). I got my BionX powered Catrike from them. I bought it off the floor, but they say they can have one in a week.
devartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:39 AM   #9
crichman
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bethesda, Maryland (just outside Washington DC)
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know both Mount Airy and Bob's Bikes well. Mount Airy has an insanely huge collection of bikes of all stripes, and is a real regional resource (especially for those of us who like oddball bikes.) Bob's is tiny, but Bob has been working with Bionx longer -- and he is willing to dedicate much more time to trying to get your Bionx install exactly right. I can't vouch for his business model, but I bought my Bionx setup from him too.

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com
crichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.