Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-10, 12:02 PM   #1
dgk02
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bionx PL350

My latest thinking is just to get a PL350 and put it on my current old heavy Trek hybrid (7100). I might be able to get one for $500 off because the battery is "certified 90%" - apparently from kits that got returned. That's a huge discount off the $1800 price so I figured I'd ask for opinions. Assuming I can recharge it 900 times instead of 1000 or so, it will still last at least three years and likely longer. And by then I can assume that the batteries will be better and cheaper.
Opinions?
dgk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 01:24 PM   #2
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Trek 7200 you can purchase for around 2100. You are getting all brand new components. You will also get a warranty from Trek and trek is known for great service.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...plus/7200plus/
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 01:55 PM   #3
nwmtnbkr
Senior Member
 
nwmtnbkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk02 View Post
My latest thinking is just to get a PL350 and put it on my current old heavy Trek hybrid (7100). I might be able to get one for $500 off because the battery is "certified 90%" - apparently from kits that got returned. That's a huge discount off the $1800 price so I figured I'd ask for opinions. Assuming I can recharge it 900 times instead of 1000 or so, it will still last at least three years and likely longer. And by then I can assume that the batteries will be better and cheaper.
Opinions?
The biggest complaint among Bionx owners who use their bikes to commute daily is the cost of replacement batteries. Unless you're willing to modify the wiring of your kit once you need a new battery, you may find yourself stuck spending almost $1000 to replace the Bionx battery pack with a new one. (There is one man who will rebuild packs--there's some discussion of his services on V is for Voltage.)

As for battery technology improving, well don't hold your breath. In a couple of years, I suspect we'll be at about the same place we're at now. I'm just hoping LIFEPO4s continue to come down in price and that other countries, including the US, begin manufacturing them, too.
nwmtnbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 07:40 AM   #4
dgk02
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
The biggest complaint among Bionx owners who use their bikes to commute daily is the cost of replacement batteries. Unless you're willing to modify the wiring of your kit once you need a new battery, you may find yourself stuck spending almost $1000 to replace the Bionx battery pack with a new one. (There is one man who will rebuild packs--there's some discussion of his services on V is for Voltage.)

As for battery technology improving, well don't hold your breath. In a couple of years, I suspect we'll be at about the same place we're at now. I'm just hoping LIFEPO4s continue to come down in price and that other countries, including the US, begin manufacturing them, too.
Thanks nwmtnbkr, I appreciate all that I've learned from you. I stumbled onto the V site yesterday while trying to figure out what 90% actually means. Since the battery part of this is so expensive, I figured $500 off is a good deal but I'm not sure. One of the guys on the V site said that Bionx will do a cell replacement for $581. That isn't all that bad if so.
dgk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 09:02 AM   #5
dgk02
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTheSpinner View Post
The Trek 7200 you can purchase for around 2100. You are getting all brand new components. You will also get a warranty from Trek and trek is known for great service.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...plus/7200plus/
Where do you actually find one in NYC? I've called quite a few Trek dealers and there don't seem to be any in stock. I was actually thinking about getting the Valencia instead; it doesn't have the useless suspension fork and it does have fenders. OTOH, it has trigger shifts while the 7200 has grip shifts. I find grip shifts much better in the winter because I tend to wear mittens on really cold days. The biggest reason for getting a new Trek rather than a kit is that it's pretty stealthy - these still aren't legal in NY. I don't know how easy it is to get the kit battery on the rear rack. Of course, you lose the throttle but I wasn't planning on using that anyway.

Same battery replacement problem as the kit probably; maybe even worse since apparently you can replace cells on the regular Bionx battery. I don't know about the special Trek version. I wonder if the Trek battery has the same power as the regular battery?
dgk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 01:44 PM   #6
dgk02
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just spoke to a local Trek dealer. He checked and the 7200's are shipping from the distribution center (New Jersey I think) end of March. The Valencia's won't be shipping until April. I'm not sure I want to wait rather than just getting the kit now. I can always transfer it to a new regular Valencia but my bike is already set up the way I like it. Fenders, etc. But it's old and tired, like me.
dgk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 10:02 PM   #7
lucasgo
Lost? No, seeing America.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Webster NY
Bikes: '02 Fuji Finest AL, '97 Trek Multitrack 730, Amped kit rear
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was pretty much in your same position about a year ago. Couldn't decide if I should go ahead with the rather expensive Bionx system. In the end, I went with a far cheaper kit and a far better battery (in my opinion). The Valencia does look sweet, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. I figure first I'll have this kit pay for itself in gas costs in about a year, then start saving my would-be gas money toward a newer bike/kit. You may also want to look at the forums at endless sphere, they do a lot of testing of a variety of kits.
lucasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 09:23 AM   #8
dgk02
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgo View Post
I was pretty much in your same position about a year ago. Couldn't decide if I should go ahead with the rather expensive Bionx system. In the end, I went with a far cheaper kit and a far better battery (in my opinion). The Valencia does look sweet, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. I figure first I'll have this kit pay for itself in gas costs in about a year, then start saving my would-be gas money toward a newer bike/kit. You may also want to look at the forums at endless sphere, they do a lot of testing of a variety of kits.
I've been going back and forth between wanting the Valencia (or 7200 or FX 3) or just putting the kit on my current bike but I think my old Trek 7100 just has too many miles on it to be a good candidate for long term survival. Around 20,000 or so. I was at my favored LBS yesterday but I didn't have time to stick around and try out the bikes. They don't have any electrics in of course, and confirmed that the Valencia won't be in until early April. But they have one of each non-ebike model. I'll probably go back today and try them out and maybe order the ebike version. I know I can save a few dollars by getting a new bike and putting on a kit but I think I want the battery in the back rack, not as visible as with the PL 350 kit. They still aren't legal in NY.
dgk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:26 PM   #9
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk02 View Post
I've been going back and forth between wanting the Valencia (or 7200 or FX 3) or just putting the kit on my current bike but I think my old Trek 7100 just has too many miles on it to be a good candidate for long term survival. Around 20,000 or so. I was at my favored LBS yesterday but I didn't have time to stick around and try out the bikes. They don't have any electrics in of course, and confirmed that the Valencia won't be in until early April. But they have one of each non-ebike model. I'll probably go back today and try them out and maybe order the ebike version. I know I can save a few dollars by getting a new bike and putting on a kit but I think I want the battery in the back rack, not as visible as with the PL 350 kit. They still aren't legal in NY.
One issue with buying the kit is the warranty is only one year. When you buy the Trek Ride+ you get two year warrenty on the battery and motor. I also am not sure weather to get the Valencia or FX+. I like the components on the FX+ better. I do plan on 2 to 3 days a week of rideing 9 mile of my 14 mile trip without the motor. The FX+ is 27 speeds compared to Valencia+ which has 24 speeds.
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:29 PM   #10
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgo View Post
I was pretty much in your same position about a year ago. Couldn't decide if I should go ahead with the rather expensive Bionx system. In the end, I went with a far cheaper kit and a far better battery (in my opinion). The Valencia does look sweet, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. I figure first I'll have this kit pay for itself in gas costs in about a year, then start saving my would-be gas money toward a newer bike/kit. You may also want to look at the forums at endless sphere, they do a lot of testing of a variety of kits.
I did the same thing and put a Currie 450W kit on my Montague bike. I plan on giving up my car at the end of the month. The money I save on the car will pay for the Trek bike.
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:34 PM   #11
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk02 View Post
Where do you actually find one in NYC? I've called quite a few Trek dealers and there don't seem to be any in stock. I was actually thinking about getting the Valencia instead; it doesn't have the useless suspension fork and it does have fenders. OTOH, it has trigger shifts while the 7200 has grip shifts. I find grip shifts much better in the winter because I tend to wear mittens on really cold days. The biggest reason for getting a new Trek rather than a kit is that it's pretty stealthy - these still aren't legal in NY. I don't know how easy it is to get the kit battery on the rear rack. Of course, you lose the throttle but I wasn't planning on using that anyway.

Same battery replacement problem as the kit probably; maybe even worse since apparently you can replace cells on the regular Bionx battery. I don't know about the special Trek version. I wonder if the Trek battery has the same power as the regular battery?
http://bicyclehabitat.com/ is supposed have them mid February. I would not buy the kit since it only has a 1 year warrenty. The Trek bike has a 2 year warranty on the battery and motor. I also ride in the winter and the good news is the battery is rated at 14 F.
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 04:53 PM   #12
crichman
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bethesda, Maryland (just outside Washington DC)
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.bionx.ca still shows the same 2-year Bionx kit warranty as always. Do you have a reason to think that has changed?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com
crichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 05:16 PM   #13
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crichman View Post
http://www.bionx.ca still shows the same 2-year Bionx kit warranty as always. Do you have a reason to think that has changed?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com

If you go on the web sute the battery is not covered for 2 years.

http://www.bionx.ca/en/support/warranty/
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 07:44 PM   #14
dgk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, debate over for me. I went by the LBS and ordered the Valencia+. He still says that it won't be in until late April but I'm hoping it comes in sooner and he'll try. Cost was $2452 including tax. I don't think there are going to be big discounts on this - I guess that's the price of being among the first. I just decided that I have the money and I don't spend a whole lot. It's my patriotic duty to help keep the economy moving. Well, that's what I'm telling myself.
dgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 08:11 AM   #15
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , New York City
Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post
Ok, debate over for me. I went by the LBS and ordered the Valencia+. He still says that it won't be in until late April but I'm hoping it comes in sooner and he'll try. Cost was $2452 including tax. I don't think there are going to be big discounts on this - I guess that's the price of being among the first. I just decided that I have the money and I don't spend a whole lot. It's my patriotic duty to help keep the economy moving. Well, that's what I'm telling myself.
Did you look at the FX+?
JerryTheSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 08:50 AM   #16
dgk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTheSpinner View Post
Did you look at the FX+?
Yea, and I don't have a strong reason to reject it but neither did I really see any reason to go for it over the Valencia. Well, the FX has V brakes and the Valencia has the disks. I'm not really happy with the way I often have to readjust the V brakes on my 7100 - they bind a bit and getting them balanced is often tricky. I'm not the best bike mechanic in the world, or even on my block.

I rode the FX and Valencia (non-ebike) models around the neighborhood of the LBS and really couldn't decide which I would like over the long haul. But the Valencia+ is targeted as the all-weather commuter (fenders) while the FX talks about extending your workout. I do spinning and pilate (and some swimming) over at the Cross Island Y (just mentioning that for Jerry since he lives in my neck of the cement) for my workout. I use the bike for commuting so I figured I'd go for the commuter model. I really can't tell much about the different components - I figure since we ditched the useless front fork of the 7200, either model should be good.

Plus I sort of like the Valencia's cool black color. I just hope I get it in time for Bike NY. I really REALLY hate that last climb up the Verrazanno Bridge. The one by the BQE doesn't make me happy either.
dgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.