Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-10, 04:57 PM   #1
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
possible new project electric bike (-600usd) ..........¿opinions?

hi friends...........

I am very interested in make a electric bike............... I saw a lot of kits/batterys and I think the best kit is a brushless frontal kit 250-500w 48v and a lifepo4 battery 15-20ah

whith this configuration I think is possible arrive a range of 35-50 miles .............

this is the kit:
http://cgi.ebay.es/Electric-Bike-Kit...item3efcdcffe1

and the batterys:
http://cgi.ebay.es/48v-15ah-LiFePO4-...item3efcc54d3b

and this is the seller of sell cheap kits/batterys of 24, 36 and 48v ............

http://shop.ebay.es/elephant1488/m.h....c0.m14&_pgn=1

¿what is your opinion?....................

¿somebody have this kit/batterys?


regards and thanks
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:36 PM   #2
nwmtnbkr
Senior Member
 
nwmtnbkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquelmah View Post
hi friends...........

I am very interested in make a electric bike............... I saw a lot of kits/batterys and I think the best kit is a brushless frontal kit 250-500w 48v and a lifepo4 battery 15-20ah

whith this configuration I think is possible arrive a range of 35-50 miles .............

this is the kit:
http://cgi.ebay.es/Electric-Bike-Kit...item3efcdcffe1

and the batterys:
http://cgi.ebay.es/48v-15ah-LiFePO4-...item3efcc54d3b

and this is the seller of sell cheap kits/batterys of 24, 36 and 48v ............

http://shop.ebay.es/elephant1488/m.h....c0.m14&_pgn=1

¿what is your opinion?....................

¿somebody have this kit/batterys?


regards and thanks
Are you in the EU? If so, that motor is street legal as far as voltage, not sure if the speed would fall within street-legal limits (the EU and certain Asian countries have fairly strict limits on power and maximum speed for street-legal e-bikes). I'm not sure of the quality of this hub motor. Often with Chinese-made hub motors you'll find that such small gauge wire has been used for windings that they aren't very robust. If you don't need a lot of torque for hills this may be fine. I'm not sure if you'll have any problems with motor burn out at 48V if the wiring is very low gauge. As for LIFEPO4 batteries, I would be more cautious and buy from a reputable builder like Ping.

If you can, you might shop for a motor from a local distributor. That way you might actually get warranty support. I'm not sure how quickly you could burn out this motor, especially if you ride steep hills. Good luck.
nwmtnbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:40 PM   #3
morph999 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why does everyone seem to like to buy hub motors off of e-bay? I don't think e-bay is a good place to buy a decent hub motor. I personally don't think you'll be happy with a 250w hub motor unless you are like 70 yrs old. My advice would be to buy at least a 600w hub motor or more. Preferably at least a 750w or 1000w motor. I doubt anyone is going to care that you are skirting the law. 250w won't even be enough to get you up a hill without heavy pedaling.

If you want a good deal, I'd look at e-bikekit.com or hightekbikes.com . Both of those websites are well known in the e-bike community. YOu can even talk to the owners of the websites on endless-sphere.com forum if you want. They have kits for about $300 which is a little more but they have a warranty and you are not going to be ripped off by them since they really care about their reputation in the e-bike community. As far as a battery, I recommend buying a Thundersky pack for about $312 plus shipping from elitepowersolutions.com . You will have to learn how to use lithium though if you choose this pack. It's not a plug and use type of battery unless you buy a BMS with it.
morph999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 07:15 AM   #4
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
Are you in the EU? If so, that motor is street legal as far as voltage, not sure if the speed would fall within street-legal limits (the EU and certain Asian countries have fairly strict limits on power and maximum speed for street-legal e-bikes). I'm not sure of the quality of this hub motor. Often with Chinese-made hub motors you'll find that such small gauge wire has been used for windings that they aren't very robust. If you don't need a lot of torque for hills this may be fine. I'm not sure if you'll have any problems with motor burn out at 48V if the wiring is very low gauge. As for LIFEPO4 batteries, I would be more cautious and buy from a reputable builder like Ping.

If you can, you might shop for a motor from a local distributor. That way you might actually get warranty support. I'm not sure how quickly you could burn out this motor, especially if you ride steep hills. Good luck.
I live in spain (mallorca)

for me the legal is not a problem............ I live in a small town and we dont have problems with the traffic policemans

I have 24years .............. I search a electric bike for help me in the ride steep hills .......... I will help the motor in the hills with the pedals

I understand......... is better buy the pieces at a local distributor .......... but the problem is the $ .......... the price of the local distributor kits are the double of the price from china/usa kits...... for me is impossible spend more than 650-700usd in this project...........

thanks and regards

pd: I found another ebay seller........... he offer 3 years of warranty..........

http://shop.ebay.es/cammy_cc/m.html?...&_trksid=p3686
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 07:37 AM   #5
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morph999 View Post
Why does everyone seem to like to buy hub motors off of e-bay? I don't think e-bay is a good place to buy a decent hub motor. I personally don't think you'll be happy with a 250w hub motor unless you are like 70 yrs old. My advice would be to buy at least a 600w hub motor or more. Preferably at least a 750w or 1000w motor. I doubt anyone is going to care that you are skirting the law. 250w won't even be enough to get you up a hill without heavy pedaling.

If you want a good deal, I'd look at e-bikekit.com or hightekbikes.com . Both of those websites are well known in the e-bike community. YOu can even talk to the owners of the websites on endless-sphere.com forum if you want. They have kits for about $300 which is a little more but they have a warranty and you are not going to be ripped off by them since they really care about their reputation in the e-bike community. As far as a battery, I recommend buying a Thundersky pack for about $312 plus shipping from elitepowersolutions.com . You will have to learn how to use lithium though if you choose this pack. It's not a plug and use type of battery unless you buy a BMS with it.
thanks for the comment

I search a electric bike for help me in the ride steep hills .......... I will help the motor in the hills with the pedals

I think is better the 500w................ the 250w is small for me..............


I bought thousands of products in ebay and the 90% of the products are with good quality.....
I understand......... is better buy the pieces at a local distributor or a Recognized seller.......... but the problem is the $ .......... the price of the local distributor kits are the double of the price from china/usa kits...... for me is impossible spend more than 650-700usd in this project...........

this seller offer 3 years of warranty..........

http://shop.ebay.es/cammy_cc/m.html?...&_trksid=p3686

lot of thanks and regards
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 01:53 PM   #6
crimsonsnake0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi i have had a kit from ebay for 18mths now no problems at all except the fuse blowing so took it of all togeather. would advise getting the 48v 1000watt kit like i have great speed and gets me up any hill with little or no peddling. regards crimsonsnake.
crimsonsnake0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 04:17 PM   #7
nwmtnbkr
Senior Member
 
nwmtnbkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crimsonsnake,

The kit you have is illegal in the EU (and parts of Asia). An EU citizen ordering a kit like that might simply be throwing away his/her money when customs officials seize it, which is more likely to happen since it's clear from looking at the kit that it's meant for an e-bike. (Hard to miss that fact since the hub motor is laced into a bicycle wheel. EU customs officers might let an unlaced hub motor in, but I'm not sure they'd let a conversion kit in that's above the legal power limits for e-bikes in the EU.)
nwmtnbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:17 PM   #8
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
morph999 thanks for show me this amazing batterys.................20ah 36v for only 300usd plus shipping............... nice batterys........ and with +2000 cycles...... wow

http://elitepowersolutions.com/produ...products_id=74

Last edited by miquelmah; 03-09-10 at 11:22 PM.
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:48 PM   #9
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
crimsonsnake,

The kit you have is illegal in the EU (and parts of Asia). An EU citizen ordering a kit like that might simply be throwing away his/her money when customs officials seize it, which is more likely to happen since it's clear from looking at the kit that it's meant for an e-bike. (Hard to miss that fact since the hub motor is laced into a bicycle wheel. EU customs officers might let an unlaced hub motor in, but I'm not sure they'd let a conversion kit in that's above the legal power limits for e-bikes in the EU.)
thanks for speak all the important things................ but sincerely for me the policemans are not a problem........... I live in a small town and we dont have policemans........... we have a lot of luck

regards
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:51 PM   #10
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks ........... I think the majotity ebay kits are with good quality......... I found a web of spanish persons of have electric bikes and a lot of people have the ebay kits and they dont have problems......

http://www.foromtb.com/showthread.ph...=1#post8855574

regards
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:32 PM   #11
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquelmah View Post
thanks ........... I think the majotity ebay kits are with good quality......... I found a web of spanish persons of have electric bikes and a lot of people have the ebay kits and they dont have problems......

http://www.foromtb.com/showthread.ph...=1#post8855574

regards
more amazing batterys..........3000-5000 cycles of life

http://www.evcomponents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 04:02 PM   #12
miquelmah
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the future is possible I will buy this.......... at this moment is impossible for me

1/ebay kit 500w 36v from cammy_cc (ebay) = 230usd shipped

2/tunder sky 20ah batt 36v from thunder-sky.com = 250-300 + shipping

2/headway batt pack 36v 12s1p 12ah = 170+shipping

low than 600usd

regards and thanks for the help
miquelmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 AM.