Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/)
-   -   Building a new electric assist bike (http://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/759297-building-new-electric-assist-bike.html)

GoTimothy 07-21-12 06:59 AM

I am building a electric bike from a kit I bought on eBay for $219 free shipping. With a 36V 250 watt motor. I got a lead acid nine amp hour battery for $57 with shipping $80. Fairly easy to build. The problem I’m having is it has aluminum rim and the brake pads severely scored the rims. Is there a special Bike brake pad for aluminum rims and does anyone know what I can do to fix the damage rims? They are scored pretty deep and sharp I only rode it one day, but didn’t notice how badly the rim was being scored.

ChrisRider 12-10-12 07:19 PM

Looking good, keep up the good work there, how does your bike perform, once thing you have to consider when building your own e bike is the weight and chunky batteries and wiring. Doesnt usually look as good as a factory made e bike

Rocketrobo 01-25-13 02:54 AM

So nice for keeping recording. like it.

ohno 07-08-13 10:35 AM

excellent videos...

_______________
Free hosting

fietsbob 08-21-13 08:52 AM

Quote:

what I can do to fix the damage rims?
Replace the damaged rim with a New One.

Dan Burkhart 09-03-13 07:25 AM

Two years later, an update
 
Just thought I'd check in to say with another year in the books, this bike continues to be 100% reliable every time we take it out.
My wife loves it, and I love it too, because it makes our rides together very enjoyable.
The only tweak I've made is to install a stabilizing spring on the fork to keep it from flopping over when parked.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dl5i4g.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2n0j0ig.jpg

andersson121 03-18-15 04:17 AM

Well, fantastic topic to be honest. These videos are quiet helpful and informative.

Dan Burkhart 03-22-15 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andersson121 (Post 17639865)
Well, fantastic topic to be honest. These videos are quiet helpful and informative.

Thank you. The bike is still working great, no issues mechanically or with the electrics.
I have built a standard front wheel with matching rim that I can swap in for transporting long distances on the bike rack, and to try and wean my wife off the electric motor a bit at a time.
In a matter of a few minutes, I can swap in the electric wheel, strap on the battery and it's an e bike again.

http://i62.tinypic.com/21ahfk1.jpg

beoutside 06-02-15 08:52 AM

Great Videos Dan
I'm building up a yuba Mundo with a BMC V3 48V rear hub that is almost new. I love the kill switch idea since I really don't want to run another set of brake levers.... thanks for the idea! Any experience with ordering batteries with built in controllers from over seas? Thoughts on Lithium ion vs lifepo4? Appreciate your time Donny

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 13076521)
As I explained in one of the earlier videos, I am discarding the brake lever with the kill switch built in, and wiring a separate kill switch on the handlebars. The reason being, the lever is junk, but it does seem a good idea to to be able to cut the power in case it stuck on.
I was simply going to wire an on off switch in place of the lever, but was surprised to learn that pulling the lever actually closes the circuit rather than opening it. This means that the safety overide actually relies on a power supply rather than cutting power. Hardly seems fail safe to me.
So, I went with the original plan, and connected the cable to bypass the key switch instead as I had done on the earlier conversion.
Is it common to have safety overides that function by supplying power, and if so, why?


beoutside 06-02-15 08:53 AM

PS Nice tip on the WD 40

Dan Burkhart 06-03-15 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beoutside (Post 17858582)
Great Videos Dan
I'm building up a yuba Mundo with a BMC V3 48V rear hub that is almost new. I love the kill switch idea since I really don't want to run another set of brake levers.... thanks for the idea! Any experience with ordering batteries with built in controllers from over seas? Thoughts on Lithium ion vs lifepo4? Appreciate your time Donny

Thanks for the comments.
I'm still shopping for batteries. Looks like lifepo4 is the way to go.

Dan Burkhart 08-04-15 02:08 PM

Time for an update.
I've replaced the 7 ah SLA battery pack with a 10 ah Lifepo4 pack. I did not change anything else. The first trip out, I did 16km all on the battery, only pedaling to get enough speed for the motor to engage.
Lots of power, and no sign of diminishing at the end of the ride.

http://i57.tinypic.com/xnubzr.jpg

The battery pack came complete with a slide and lock mount.

http://i62.tinypic.com/331f8fo.jpg

Dan Burkhart 04-08-16 07:16 PM

Well, since nobody has un stickied this thread, I guess I'll do another update. The mechanical and electric components of this bike continue to function flawlessly, but the frame had an issue. The chain stays were being crushed by the double leg kick stand clamp, so before it got too bad, I started the search for a suitable donor frame.
Big box store steel frame with rigid fork, horizontal dropouts, V brake posts and a kickstand mounting plate behind the bottom bracket were my criteria. I found one in the right size, and in pretty good condition.

http://i68.tinypic.com/25uk85c.jpg

The transfer of components was pretty straight forward. The front axle mounting tabs had to be re created to fit a slightly different dropout design.

http://i67.tinypic.com/5an78n.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2gwx11t.jpg

The offending decals had to go.

http://i65.tinypic.com/23scjro.jpg

And here it is, reborn. Works great. The frame is noticeably stiffer than the old one, and the V brakes are way superior, as expected.
Still some tidying up to do with the wiring, and I need to install riv-nuts in the downtube for a bottle cage, but otherwise ready for action.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28at0gm.jpg

Drchopper8 05-17-16 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 13074100)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 18676182)
Well, since nobody has un stickied this thread, I guess I'll do another update. The mechanical and electric components of this bike continue to function flawlessly, but the frame had an issue. The chain stays were being crushed by the double leg kick stand clamp, so before it got too bad, I started the search for a suitable donor frame.
Big box store steel frame with rigid fork, horizontal dropouts, V brake posts and a kickstand mounting plate behind the bottom bracket were my criteria. I found one in the right size, and in pretty good condition.

http://i68.tinypic.com/25uk85c.jpg

The transfer of components was pretty straight forward. The front axle mounting tabs had to be re created to fit a slightly different dropout design.

http://i67.tinypic.com/5an78n.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2gwx11t.jpg

The offending decals had to go.

http://i65.tinypic.com/23scjro.jpg

And here it is, reborn. Works great. The frame is noticeably stiffer than the old one, and the V brakes are way superior, as expected.
Still some tidying up to do with the wiring, and I need to install riv-nuts in the downtube for a bottle cage, but otherwise ready for action.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28at0gm.jpg

I'll stick to the thread. You deserve recognition for all your hard work I can see that you put into your awesome build. I admire your efforts. You really put some hours into this baby���� Job well done.

Dan Burkhart 05-20-16 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drchopper8 (Post 18776693)
You deserve recognition for all your hard work I can see that you put into your awesome build. I admire your efforts. You really put some hours into this baby���� Job well done.

Thank you very much.

clover_nev 06-15-16 11:18 AM

Im not a professional biker but im thinking to start biking to get fit.. this is very informative..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.