I'm looking at getting a bike, and I'll post my observations here.
Here's my background:
- I'm a fairly thin guy (6`, 150 lbs) who gets varying amounts of exercise.
- I play competitive ultimate over the summers (city leagues, as well as tournaments within 200 miles).
- Winters I am much less active, averaging perhaps 3k steps a day.
- I grew up around bikes, but I used them primarily as transportation.
- I'm comfortable doing basic maintenance, but the less I have to muck around with things the better.
- Initial setup isn't a big worry as I'd have great support in the form of my brothers who are avid bikers.
- I don't want to get to work sweaty (8 miles, slight uphill).
- I'm a singer and I don't want to get to school at all out of breath, but I still want to make good time.
Unique bike trouble I've had:
- I've bent at least one crankshaft by putting too much force against it. The bend was small, but enough to cause the front derailleur to rub regardless of its alignment.
So, a combination of 3 things seems most tempting:
- Single front chainring (no front derailleur to worry about).
- Internally geared hubs for lower maintenance.
- Ebike to allow me to let me arrive in good time without side effects.