I'm new to this forum, hello to you all. I'm wondering if any of you could offer some advice?
I see a lot of discussion here about electric bikes, and another forum discussing folding bikes, but I can't find anyone here talking about what I'm in the market for: an electric folding bike.
I have fairly specific needs with this bike:
- needs to fold to no wider than 32 inches at the widest point (so that I can take it onto my local commuter train and store it in the luggage area, per their rules)
- probably has to have 20" wheels or smaller (see above)
- needs to have a pretty good top speed (17-18mph if possible, to vut down my commute time as much as I can)
- needs a range of at least 7-8 miles (though at least double that would be preferred)
- a ready-to-go bike (not a kit) that can be serviced by local electric bike shops
Highly desirable features:
- should have as smooth of a fold/unfold experience as possible (I'm going to have to fold/unfold it 4-6 times per day, 5 days a week, hopefully for many years)
- should be as light as possible (less than 45 lbs, the lighter the better obviously)
- carrying it should not be too awkward
- should be decent on hills (I live in San Francisco, CA, we have some crazy hills here, though my commute isn't too hilly)
- pedal assist is what I'm looking for, a throttle would be nice but it's not necessary.
I'm willing to spend a premium price for the right bike, assuming it's of high quality etc.
So far the bike that seems closest to my needs is the IF Reach DC by Pacific Cycles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUvucObgbc
. It's a couple inches longer folded than what I'd like but I think I could get away with it. The folding action looks great and the speed/range fits into my needs. The model is a couple years old at this point I think(?) but this is the best I could find.
I'd be really interested to hear what you guys think. I'm excited to find the right bike! I think it could make my commute worlds better than traveling by car. Thanks in advance!