Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Paris
    My Bikes
    Peugeot from my father
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to stay vintage when going electric ....

    Hello Guys,

    I am on a project to electrify my road-race bike, a Peugeot from 1970. It's only a project for the moment, because I don't know if I will be able to make it inconspicuous... So I am looking for a light, small, kit.

    I have seen the hill topper kit from Clean Republic and it looks really nice. I didn't made my choice yet, because I know that there must be people who are facing the same problem.

    Hope to hear from you
    Live in Paris, France. Check out my Bike videos on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/Discoverlust

  2. #2
    Senior Member CigTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Empire XL
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could do something like this: https://sites.google.com/site/commuterbooster/home
    May your feet keep move'n with the wind to your back.

    CigTech

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida west coast
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Dylan pulled it off in 1965 @ the Newport Folk Festival { wait are we talking about the same thing here " dylan electric.jpg
    But seriously, look into a " geared " hub motor with a water bottle style battery , the geared hub motors are smaller hard to tell it's electrified

  4. #4
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CigTech View Post
    you could do something like this: https://sites.google.com/site/commuterbooster/home
    There was a great podcast about these guys. Pretty interesting what they are doing, and it looks good for a road bikesetup. Clearly though, this is for tinkerers, and not for someone whowants an install it and forget it product. If you like tinkering,it could be wonderful.

    Personally, I'm building two bikes with a similargoal to what you mention, but using a small hub motor. The biggestproblem I see is you need to purchase a motor that is going to work well atyour target speeds. The small (250Watt) hub motors have a fairly limitedrange. I have one that is probably goodfor 0-15mph, and building another one on a bike that is probably good for15-25mph. Or you could get a bigger(more conspicuous, more costly, heavier) motor good for 25-30mph and just dialit back for low speeds, but you loose some of the stealth and lightness of asmaller hub motor.


  5. #5
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hilltopper may be OK if you are only using it to climb hills. I guess the biggest problem I have with kits like the hilltopper, is in my case, it is easy to overpower the motor. Above 15mph, it isn’t giving much assistance, and I can cruise at 20mph – at that point the motor/battery are just dead weight.

    From their site:
    ” Motor wheel assists you up to 15mph when you engage the Grip Switch. Makes you feel three times stronger. ” Above 15mph, it is dead weight.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Paris
    My Bikes
    Peugeot from my father
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CigTech View Post
    you could do something like this: https://sites.google.com/site/commuterbooster/home
    Thanks this website got a lot of very interesting informations ( thinking about the batteries right now ). The kit is very small indeed but it is too "tech" for my bike...
    Live in Paris, France. Check out my Bike videos on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/Discoverlust

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Paris
    My Bikes
    Peugeot from my father
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaliboy62 View Post
    Bob Dylan pulled it off in 1965 @ the Newport Folk Festival { wait are we talking about the same thing here " dylan electric.jpg
    But seriously, look into a " geared " hub motor with a water bottle style battery , the geared hub motors are smaller hard to tell it's electrified
    LOL ! I'll look into that.
    Live in Paris, France. Check out my Bike videos on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/Discoverlust

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Paris
    My Bikes
    Peugeot from my father
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
    Hilltopper may be OK if you are only using it to climb hills. I guess the biggest problem I have with kits like the hilltopper, is in my case, it is easy to overpower the motor. Above 15mph, it isn’t giving much assistance, and I can cruise at 20mph – at that point the motor/battery are just dead weight.

    From their site:
    ” Motor wheel assists you up to 15mph when you engage the Grip Switch. Makes you feel three times stronger. ” Above 15mph, it is dead weight.
    The speed is not the problem for me as I mostly want to alleviate the efforts on my knees. 15mph is not that fast but it should maybe do the trick...
    Live in Paris, France. Check out my Bike videos on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/Discoverlust

  9. #9
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefamousgab View Post
    The speed is not the problem for me as I mostly want to alleviate the efforts on my knees. 15mph is not that fast but it should maybe do the trick...
    I bought a Cute Q100 36v motor and a 36V10Ah battery.
    http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.ph...k-battery.html

    Don't be fooled by the pricing on these over sease sites, you can just about double the price when you add in shipping. In my case, it was about $500 with shipping.


    The slow wind Q100 goes about 15-16mph on its own, and maybe 17-18 with pedaling. Above 18mph, the motor isn’t doing anything and is just dead weight. This might turn out to be a good motor for someone who rides in the 5-15mph zone. I haven’t taken it on mountain bike trails yet, but it could be useful there.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Paris
    My Bikes
    Peugeot from my father
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
    I bought a Cute Q100 36v motor and a 36V10Ah battery.
    http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.ph...k-battery.html

    Don't be fooled by the pricing on these over sease sites, you can just about double the price when you add in shipping. In my case, it was about $500 with shipping.


    The slow wind Q100 goes about 15-16mph on its own, and maybe 17-18 with pedaling. Above 18mph, the motor isn’t doing anything and is just dead weight. This might turn out to be a good motor for someone who rides in the 5-15mph zone. I haven’t taken it on mountain bike trails yet, but it could be useful there.
    Thanks chase58 foe these useful infos... I have been looking overseas shopping website and, indeed, the shipping costs a lot.
    If any of you has pictures of his her electric discrete bike, I would be so thankful
    Live in Paris, France. Check out my Bike videos on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/Discoverlust

  11. #11
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can follow my build thread, or check out this site for nice small motor builds down under:

    http://www.solar-bicycles.com/testimonials/


    Note, the bottle batteries I have seen are rated at 1c, which means a 9Ah battery will only put out 9 amps maximum current (its actually rated at 8amps). Of course no one will tell you this unless you ask a specific question.

    That is why I didn't get a bottle battery (not that there are not good ones out there, I just haven't found them yet).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •