Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-13, 06:25 PM   #1
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me that this is an electric bike!

[video=youtube_share;DlnvKzxgS1U]http://youtu.be/DlnvKzxgS1U[/video]

Passed me like I was standing still.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 06:29 PM   #2
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[video=youtube_share;DlnvKzxgS1U]http://youtu.be/DlnvKzxgS1U[/video]

Passed me like I was standing still which is not that unusual.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 07:06 PM   #3
Rootman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At least it wasn't an old lady on a trike
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 09:12 PM   #4
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
At least it wasn't an old lady on a trike
It wouldn't be the first time.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 11:27 PM   #5
DoubleDiamonDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry LBG - I think that guy is just a beast...
DoubleDiamonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 11:49 PM   #6
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist
 
turbo1889's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montana U.S.A.
Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The rear hub looks big enough that it might just be a very small and compact 250-watt internally geared rear hub motor. But, those motors have noticeable gear noise which I heard none of when he passed you. That was either a pedal only bike and he passed you fair and square or it's a very stealthy and very quiet small rear hub motor build and my bet is for the former rather then the latter. Realize that many people including myself for short burst can break above 20-mph on a pedal only bike on the flat and some roadies can do 30+mph for short bursts. It's entirely possible he passed you like that under pedal power alone, I just don't think he could maintain that kind of pace for more then a mile or so.
turbo1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 08:13 AM   #7
CigTech
Senior Member
 
CigTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look at the frame, PEDEGO on it. So yes it's an E-Bike. Your ego is safe.
CigTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 02:11 PM   #8
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a small Q100 that is silent. Even my noisy one (with compound gears) is quiet at speed. And it is about the size of the one on that bike.

But, that guy wasn't pedaling hard, he had a motor on the rear wheel and the bike says pedigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
The rear hub looks big enough that it might just be a very small and compact 250-watt internally geared rear hub motor. But, those motors have noticeable gear noise which I heard none of when he passed you. That was either a pedal only bike and he passed you fair and square or it's a very stealthy and very quiet small rear hub motor build and my bet is for the former rather then the latter. Realize that many people including myself for short burst can break above 20-mph on a pedal only bike on the flat and some roadies can do 30+mph for short bursts. It's entirely possible he passed you like that under pedal power alone, I just don't think he could maintain that kind of pace for more then a mile or so.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 01:03 PM   #9
iridie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha!
as mentioned the frame does say pedego but, as far as that guy beasting past you on pedals alone.......I would cry
iridie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 01:17 PM   #10
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could be on assist.. but judging by his cadence and the way he moves himself/his bike.. I'd guess he's got really really really strong legs and passed you under his own power.. even more impressive since odds are it is indeed an electric bike which means even more added weight.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:44 PM   #11
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
Could be on assist.. but judging by his cadence and the way he moves himself/his bike.. I'd guess he's got really really really strong legs and passed you under his own power.. even more impressive since odds are it is indeed an electric bike which means even more added weight.
You might be right. Next ride on the MUP is on my motorcycle.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 03:18 PM   #12
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
You might be right. Next ride on the MUP is on my motorcycle.
>.< I love your bike path btw... damn youz!
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 03:25 PM   #13
aramis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
Could be on assist.. but judging by his cadence and the way he moves himself/his bike.. I'd guess he's got really really really strong legs and passed you under his own power.. even more impressive since odds are it is indeed an electric bike which means even more added weight.
That guy is pedaling like he's moving 10-12 mph and sitting bolt upright with all sorts of heavy stuff to lug around (including his own not so light self). I don't think he's doing that on only his own power.
aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 03:33 PM   #14
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
That guy is pedaling like he's moving 10-12 mph and sitting bolt upright with all sorts of heavy stuff to lug around (including his own not so light self). I don't think he's doing that on only his own power.
We're seeing it different ways obviously, looks like a roadie low cadence highest gear power mash to me.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 04:19 PM   #15
aramis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
We're seeing it different ways obviously, looks like a roadie low cadence highest gear power mash to me.
Looks like a really overweight guy on a mup to me.
aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 04:28 PM   #16
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Looks like a really overweight guy on a mup to me.
He's definitely big, but I've drafted off someone with his physique and on a non electric hybrid as he dropped roadies, he also happened to use what looks to me as the same cadence..
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 06:14 PM   #17
aramis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
He's definitely big, but I've drafted off someone with his physique and on a non electric hybrid as he dropped roadies, he also happened to use what looks to me as the same cadence..
I've never understood "dropping" people you aren't riding with unless it's an unwelcome drafter or something. I have people pass me on main roads all the time when I'm on my way back from a ride or starting a ride or warming up or cooling down or barely able to turn the pedals or whatever. When you pass someone you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 06:31 PM   #18
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I've never understood "dropping" people you aren't riding with unless it's an unwelcome drafter or something. I have people pass me on main roads all the time when I'm on my way back from a ride or starting a ride or warming up or cooling down or barely able to turn the pedals or whatever. When you pass someone you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
It was only dropping because the roadies tried to catch back up and fell behind again, at least I should say they were dropped IMO. Does that clarify the scenario that I experienced and was discussing with you?
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 06:53 PM   #19
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
I'll go with that....
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:36 AM   #20
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1.

If you are going to sustain 20mph, you are going to have a much higher cadence.
If you are just going to mash it for the quick pass, you are going to be straining a bit more than that guy was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
That guy is pedaling like he's moving 10-12 mph and sitting bolt upright with all sorts of heavy stuff to lug around (including his own not so light self). I don't think he's doing that on only his own power.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 12:26 PM   #21
alienbogey
Senior Member
 
alienbogey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western Washington, USA
Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I chug around on our hybrids, often running errands with groceries in the saddle bags, and joke about running down and passing the TDF-kitted out lean guys on their unobtanium-framed road bikes who whizz by us.

Do largely to a balky knee of mine we've decided to add electric-assist to our bikes, and once they're installed I'm REALLY looking forward to actually passing one of those guys on a hill.

Electric-assist kit: $1,000

Look on racer-bike guy's face: Priceless

alienbogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 12:33 PM   #22
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My partner is a big guy, former pro, and can mash gears that would make my knees explode.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 12:31 PM   #23
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
My partner is a big guy, former pro, and can mash gears that would make my knees explode.
Yep, I ride and train with people that can mash gears in ways that we can only dream about. 2,000+ (pedal only) watts on a power meter in a trained athlete accelerating a bike from 0 to 40mph in under 150 meters is a breathtaking thing to watch.

It however, does not look anything like that guy in the video who clearly has 500++ watts on top of the ~200 he is adding to the bike.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 12:48 PM   #24
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Bikes: too many of all kinds
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
My wife and I chug around on our hybrids, often running errands with groceries in the saddle bags, and joke about running down and passing the TDF-kitted out lean guys on their unobtanium-framed road bikes who whizz by us.

Do largely to a balky knee of mine we've decided to add electric-assist to our bikes, and once they're installed I'm REALLY looking forward to actually passing one of those guys on a hill.

Electric-assist kit: $1,000

Look on racer-bike guy's face: Priceless

Hmm. I do wonder sometimes about the competition against fellow bikers. Certainly the people passionate about riding to the point they will train regularly (i.e. the lycra crowd) get a bad rap – both from people who drive cars and those who ride bikes.

I have thought about blowing past a lycra guy on a training ride, but why? Seems so silly, I have never actually done it (while riding an ebike – I have no hesitation about doing it while riding a pedal only bike)

Cars on the other hand. I often have them pull out in front of me just so they will be first. Most people are good, but there are a few who don’t think anything about cutting off a bicycle. Then they are surprised when I draft behind them and stay right with them (any car can beat me in a straight line, but on a road with lots of turns, the bike will be faster. To me, keeping up with automotive traffic is more interesting than keeping up with a guy who spends 8-10 hours a week training.

But in the last few years, people are slowly starting to become aware of bike traffic and that they are not the only people on the road. Shoot, 5 years ago no one expected to see a bike used for transportation around here. That has been a positive change.

Cost of my ebike kit: $500.
Look on automobile driver’s face: Priceless.
chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 03:55 PM   #25
longbeachgary
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the electric bike was bad enough but this:

[video=youtube_share;fQODk8c7A_Q]http://youtu.be/fQODk8c7A_Q[/video]
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.