Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any Reason Not to Buy Basic Garmin Virb?

    As a front maybe sometimes rear mounted camera to record any untoward events while riding, the Verb seems like a good option at about $100. I'm not sure the extra cost of any of the other higher end options buys me much for the purpose I have for the camera. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what you want to do I wouldn't bother with the Elite. I have one and I have found no need for the extra options other than the data captured adds an element of interest to the videos.

    Keith

  3. #3
    Senior Member ahultin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bonsall, Ca
    My Bikes
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run front/rear garmin virb basics and at $100 each find them perfectly suited for that task. For longer rides I have mount a patriot fuel+ 2000mah portable battery back ($5 frys electronics) which extends life to around 5hrs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Eclipse --------------- 2015 Specialized AWOL -------------2016 Specialized Pitch 650B
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run one or two VIRB basics and they work great. I have a GoPro Hero2 but prefer using my VIRBs. They are easier to deal with on the bike than the GoPro and also syncs up with my Edge 1000.

  5. #5
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a mount for a GPS unit (I use a 500 now but plan to get a 1000) and the Verb mounted underneath the GPS?

  6. #6
    Ride it like you stole it WheresWaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Union County, NC
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metalheart44 View Post
    Is there a mount for a GPS unit (I use a 500 now but plan to get a 1000) and the Verb mounted underneath the GPS?
    Yes, I made one up and it is available from Shapeways, here are some renders:



    It uses the genuine Garmin Flat Mount insert and lock ring to mount the Virb/Elite. I designed two, one for left side mounting and the other for right side mounting.
    31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Left Side Mount on Shapeways
    31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Right Side Mount on Shapeways
    "Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
    The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

  7. #7
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    Yes, I made one up and it is available from Shapeways, here are some renders:



    It uses the genuine Garmin Flat Mount insert and lock ring to mount the Virb/Elite. I designed two, one for left side mounting and the other for right side mounting.
    31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Left Side Mount on Shapeways
    31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Right Side Mount on Shapeways

    NIce, and it comes in orange too! How did you take durability, specifically how prone is it to breaking, into consideration in design/production?

  8. #8
    Ride it like you stole it WheresWaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Union County, NC
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually based on a mash-up of two existing designs. But to answer your question directly, I try very hard to take durability into account. I already know that nylon parts can be very durable given enough material thickness. I don't always get it right the first time but I am learning just how thin and lightweight these parts can be while maintaining usability. On stuff I am not 100% on, I order copies for myself and test them often to destruction.

    There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing the strength of 3D printed nylon parts. There are other people that use 3D printed parts for all sorts of mounts. There is a UK company that sells many more than I do.

    I tend to design parts I need, then offer them to others. But I do get a few requests. If I can and I find the request interesting I try my best to come up with something. That is how this part came about. Someone asked about a combo Virb/Edge mount, I looked at my cheap chinese plastic out front Edge mount and thought about how I could adapt the design to add a Virb mount. Someone on another board suggested a mount that could rotate like the Garmin flat mount. I went and bought some genuine Garmin mounts and created this mash up. While I was designing it a thought came to me about why are all the out front mounts made for the right side of the handlebars, that's why there are two versions. I am just an enthusiast who dabbles in things like 3D printing and other cutting edge tech. It's an iterative process, if something isn't strong enough on the first go I redesign and try again. That said, I use the parts I design on a daily basis. I trust is with my stuff.
    "Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
    The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

  9. #9
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    459
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very helpful and straightforward reply! I won't hesitate to order.

    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    This is actually based on a mash-up of two existing designs. But to answer your question directly, I try very hard to take durability into account. I already know that nylon parts can be very durable given enough material thickness. I don't always get it right the first time but I am learning just how thin and lightweight these parts can be while maintaining usability. On stuff I am not 100% on, I order copies for myself and test them often to destruction.

    There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing the strength of 3D printed nylon parts. There are other people that use 3D printed parts for all sorts of mounts. There is a UK company that sells many more than I do.

    I tend to design parts I need, then offer them to others. But I do get a few requests. If I can and I find the request interesting I try my best to come up with something. That is how this part came about. Someone asked about a combo Virb/Edge mount, I looked at my cheap chinese plastic out front Edge mount and thought about how I could adapt the design to add a Virb mount. Someone on another board suggested a mount that could rotate like the Garmin flat mount. I went and bought some genuine Garmin mounts and created this mash up. While I was designing it a thought came to me about why are all the out front mounts made for the right side of the handlebars, that's why there are two versions. I am just an enthusiast who dabbles in things like 3D printing and other cutting edge tech. It's an iterative process, if something isn't strong enough on the first go I redesign and try again. That said, I use the parts I design on a daily basis. I trust is with my stuff.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    2009 Jamis Eclipse --------------- 2015 Specialized AWOL -------------2016 Specialized Pitch 650B
    Posts
    2,004
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this:

    http://www.amazon.com/K-EDGE-Garmin-...ge+gopro+mount

    And this:

    Amazon.com: K-EDGE GO BIG Pro Saddle Rail Mount for GoPro Hero (K13-430 Black): Camera & Photo

    Along with GoPro to Garmin VIRB adapters for mine. I think the GoPro adapter comes in this pack:

    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Virb-Ad...RB+accessories

    I wish K-Edge had a VIRB direct mount, but in the mean time this works fine.

  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    10,284
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Edit]I go with Meh.. .. burn through that wallet !
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-07-15 at 11:32 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Not? because I dont need any, I can read Maps..
    Not what? OP shouldn't buy an action camera because you can read Maps?

  13. #13
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    10,284
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GPS ? or just a camera? I go back to the 35mm film camera era and I stop and ask the locals questions about directions .

    I have a nice collection of maps from many countries now and memories of Friends I Met in my travels.

    I brought a Mandolin rather than a Bunch of electronics ,The better to sit in at Pub Jams and play music and Drink with the Locals that way.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-13-15 at 04:36 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    GPS ? or just a camera? I go back to the 35mm film camera era and I stop and ask the locals questions about directions . I have a nice collection of maps from many countries now and memories of Friends I Met in my travels. I brought a Mandolin rather than a Bunch of electronics ,The better to sit in at Pub Jams and play music and Drink with the Locals that way.

    Congrats on the 35mm, paper maps and mandolin. But none of those help the OP's wish to record any untoward events while riding, which is why the basic Garmin Virb is a good idea for them.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post

    I brought a Mandolin rather than a Bunch of electronics ,The better to sit in at Pub Jams and play music and Drink with the Locals that way.
    I took my didj with me once on a kayak trip once, but its too big to carry on my bike .

    Keith

  16. #16
    Ride it like you stole it WheresWaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Union County, NC
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
    I took my didj with me once on a kayak trip once, but its too big to carry on my bike .

    Keith
    Keith, did you see the new Garmin announcement of the Virb X and Virb XE, a bit under-speced, but more in line with the size and weight of a GoPro,
    "Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
    The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

  17. #17
    Senior Member a1penguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek 7.5 FX DISC, 2002 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp
    Posts
    2,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GoPro and Virb are boxy. I like the sleekness of the Contour Roam. I haven't yet taken the plunge on a camera.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3, 2012 Trek 7.5 FX Disc, 2003 Trek 2200 WSD, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Al Comp

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    Keith, did you see the new Garmin announcement of the Virb X and Virb XE, a bit under-speced, but more in line with the size and weight of a GoPro,
    Hmmm. Interesting. I know some people don't like the torpedo shape of the basic Virb/Elite but that's the reason I bought it; it's a little less conspicuous than the GoPro. I guess this is their way of going after that market segment too.

    Keith

  19. #19
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    12,509
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    GPS ? or just a camera? I go back to the 35mm film camera era and I stop and ask the locals questions about directions .

    I have a nice collection of maps from many countries now and memories of Friends I Met in my travels.

    I brought a Mandolin rather than a Bunch of electronics ,The better to sit in at Pub Jams and play music and Drink with the Locals that way.
    Have fun on your penny farthing. These safety bikes are a silly fad.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)
    Posts
    1,997
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main problem with the Virb Basic is that the clock can't be set by a Garmin GPS computer. This makes it more challenging than it should be to sync video with ride data.

    To compound the issue, the VIRB internal clock is terrible and loses a few minutes per month.

  21. #21
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    12,509
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the low light performance on the VIRB?
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Treasure Coast, FL
    My Bikes
    Early 1990s Diamondback Override Hybrid, 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really looking at this now. I've been saving for a front and rear Rideye 32 Gig set for $449.

    Now that I do the math, purchasing two of these (for front and back) + two 64 gig cards + two battery extenders would be about $300- $320 prior to tax. That's a savings of about $130, but for products that have been discontinued.

    Im going to sleep on this before getting out my credit card.

  23. #23
    Ride it like you stole it WheresWaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Union County, NC
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone with a Virb knows that if they want an extra Virb to GoPro adapter you have to buy a complete set of mounts. I designed my own version and placed it on two different 3D file repositories under Creative Commons license. Anyone with a 3D printer or access to one and the need for additional adapters is free to download and print this out.
    Virb to GoPro Adapter.png
    Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on YouMagine
    Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter by WheresWaldo - Thingiverse
    "Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
    The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

  24. #24
    Seņior Member ItsJustMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
    Posts
    12,509
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the gopro adapter. I'll probably be designing some compatible mounts as well though I doubt I'll go with gopro compatibility since I don't own any gopro equipment.
    Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.

  25. #25
    Ride it like you stole it WheresWaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Union County, NC
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ItsJustMe, with the VirbX and VirbXE going to the GoPro style mount the only holdout left is Sony and IONAir. Shimano, all the clones and soon Garmin all use or can use the GoPro style mounting system. Sometimes it pays to be the first, even if it might not be the best. Others that use a standard photographic tripod socket (1/4 x 20) can easily be adapted to GoPro mounting systems.

    See the 3D Printed Accessories thread for some printer files for two simplified size-specific GoPro style seat post mounts.
    "Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
    The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •