Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-16, 09:17 PM   #1
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
Thread Starter
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
B&M Ixon IQ vs Ixon Pure

Googled around, couldn't find a head-to-head comparison between the Busch & Muller Ixon Pure and IQ (not the lower power Pure B, or higher power IQ Premium). Anyone had a chance to compare these two?

Both are reasonably priced now and the IQ appears to have the better specs and light pattern, but the Pure has a built in USB charger while still being compatible with AA rechargeables. That's a must for me -- I'm looking for a moderately bright bike mounted headlight that runs on AA rechargeable batteries. I already have lightweight USB rechargeables and need a AA battery light for longer rides (but not ready for the dyno commitment at the moment).
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 09:45 PM   #2
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Ixon IQ is brighter. Pure is smaller. Peter White has a good description of both. I have the IQ and charge my batteries in a smart charger so the USB on the pure doesn't do anything for me. IQ premium is worth the extra money IMO.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-16, 10:43 PM   #3
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
Thread Starter
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Thanks. Shopping around, looks like the IQ with charger and light shield is about $18 more than the Pure. Not too bad.

The IQ Premium is way out of my budget. Good light, and the video/photo tests show it has advantages over the original IQ.
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 04:55 AM   #4
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Highly recommend the fork crown mount if you go with the IQ. Pairs nicely with the Relite D on the seat stay or the toplite if you have a rack. Buying batteries and a charger separately is also a good way to go.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 04:20 PM   #5
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,090
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Ixon IQ regular is fine, I just take the batteries out and charge them , skipped the charge in-place plug in .

I use that extra Mount to put the light on top of my front Rack..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 04:53 PM   #6
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
Thread Starter
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Highly recommend the fork crown mount if you go with the IQ. Pairs nicely with the Relite D on the seat stay or the toplite if you have a rack. Buying batteries and a charger separately is also a good way to go.
Thanks, folks, I'm leaning toward the IQ after finding some light pattern photos on B&M's website.

How's the beam pattern and illumination evenness from a handlebar mount? I don't have fenders yet so I'm not sure about the fork crown mount, although it makes sense.

I've noticed with the Vivo-Bike Illuminati the beam pattern and illumination evenness vary depending on whether it's mounted. I prefer it on my helmet, since my handlebar bag blocks the low mounted light. It's just bright enough to get home at night, and very directional so I can avoid blinding drivers unless I look directly at them. That's what persuaded me toward the B&M lights.
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 07:40 PM   #7
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Handlebar mount is fine. Fork crown mount is much better. There is no helmet mount for the IQ as far as I know. I run the light on the fork crown mount in the rain with no fenders. It's fine. There is also a 5 year guarantee on the light, and the retailer will replace it if it fails in that time. I have had one replaced and it's super easy. I'm telling you, just get the IQ and the fork crown mount. The IQ is far and away the best battery powered light for the money right now.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:49 PM   #8
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
Thread Starter
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Thanks, sounds like a solid recommendation. Looks like Peter White is the only US distributor. I'll email him.
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 01:17 AM   #9
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,880
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Have been using the IXON IQ for a few years now, for batteries, I use Energizer Lithiums, they can be picked up on eBay for not much more then regular batteries (at lease in the UK), and last much longer than regular Alkaline batteries.

Have tried the fork mount, and didn't find it much/if better than the handlebar mount for beam.

If your looking at re-chargeable, would discount the ones that #kingston links to, as these are only 2000mAh, which is pretty low spec for today, would look for around 2500mAh, Sanyo Enloop are a good choice if looking at high capacity.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 02:00 AM   #10
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite,Trek 1.7c, Specy Hardrock, Nishiki SL1, Jamis Commuter
Posts: 3,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I picked up a Pure thinking it would be a good backup light for touring, as it doubles as an AA charger via USB.
Lightwise its pretty horrible, its a very defined beam with almost no spill, so you can't see anything outside the beam at all.
znomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 05:40 AM   #11
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Thanks, sounds like a solid recommendation. Looks like Peter White is the only US distributor. I'll email him.
You can try to order from Peter White if you want. I just order my lights from the links I provided as I don't have the patience to deal with an online retailer who refuses to implement modern e-commerce technologies in 2016. Shipping from Germany is fast and easy, customer service is good, they handle warranty claims. The only possible reason not to order from there is you may get hit with a 10% import duty if your order is large enough (I've heard over $200, but I don't think anyone knows for sure). Even with shipping and the import duty it's still usually cheaper than ordering from the only US distributor. While I appreciate the information that Peter White provides on his website, I personally don't see a single advantage to ordering B&M Lights from there, and I have a lot of them.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 06:00 AM   #12
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
Have been using the IXON IQ for a few years now, for batteries, I use Energizer Lithiums, they can be picked up on eBay for not much more then regular batteries (at lease in the UK), and last much longer than regular Alkaline batteries.

Have tried the fork mount, and didn't find it much/if better than the handlebar mount for beam.

If your looking at re-chargeable, would discount the ones that #kingston links to, as these are only 2000mAh, which is pretty low spec for today, would look for around 2500mAh, Sanyo Enloop are a good choice if looking at high capacity.
So you use disposable batteries in your headlight? That doesn't make any sense to me, but I ride in the dark almost every day so I would be replacing batteries constantly.

I recommended the eneloop 2000mAh because I think they are the most cost effective, not the best. While they don't last as long as some of the higher capacity batteries like the eneloop pros at 2500mAh, they are roughly half the price and can be recharged 1,800 times vs. 500 times. Even on brevets where I'll be in the dark for a long time, I use the regular eneloops and pack an extra set. I also run tail lights that take AAs, so I can use the same batteries for all of my lighting. I would only use disposables in an emergency.

Interesting that you didn't care for the fork crown mount. I find it to be better than the handlebar mount in every way and have installed one on just about all of my bikes.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 08:58 AM   #13
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,880
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
So you use disposable batteries in your headlight? That doesn't make any sense to me, but I ride in the dark almost every day so I would be replacing batteries constantly.
Yes, the main riding I do with this light is a commute, which the light is used for about 45mins, say 4x a week + mornings for about 20mins in winter & I will get about 3-4 weeks from single set of Lithiums.

Have found them to last longer than rechargables, although the do cost a little more, and I do have some rechargeable batteries, the rechargables are significantly heavier, and decent ones do cost.

For long distance riding (Audax/brevet) I have a dynamo setup, no batteries for that.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 09:35 AM   #14
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
Yes, the main riding I do with this light is a commute, which the light is used for about 45mins, say 4x a week + mornings for about 20mins in winter & I will get about 3-4 weeks from single set of Lithiums.

Have found them to last longer than rechargables, although the do cost a little more, and I do have some rechargeable batteries, the rechargables are significantly heavier, and decent ones do cost.

For long distance riding (Audax/brevet) I have a dynamo setup, no batteries for that.
Disposables are not just a little more expensive. You might be able to make a case for disposables if you only used the light occasionally, but at your rate of consumption you will spend about $360 in batteries over 5 years. (4 batteries a month at $1.50/battery)(0.7/$ or €0.9/$). At only about $50 for 8 the regular eneloops and a smart charger it's not even close. Not to mention the fact that you will dump 240 batteries into the landfill over that time. Such is the cost of convenience.

Interestingly, I just got my first dynamo setup, and I'm putting it on my daily rider not my long-distance bike.
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 11:13 AM   #15
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,880
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Agree a dynamo would make more sense on a daily rode, I can put my bike in a secure parking area at work, however if I use it when going to the supermarket/shopping, it goes on the street, I used to have a battery light with a separate battery compartment, and someone stole the head unit (rendering it inoperable) so prefer to use totally removable (less the mount) lights not for this bike/use
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 05:29 PM   #16
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
Thread Starter
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
You can try to order from Peter White if you want. I just order my lights from the links I provided as I don't have the patience to deal with an online retailer who refuses to implement modern e-commerce technologies in 2016. Shipping from Germany is fast and easy, customer service is good, they handle warranty claims. The only possible reason not to order from there is you may get hit with a 10% import duty if your order is large enough (I've heard over $200, but I don't think anyone knows for sure). Even with shipping and the import duty it's still usually cheaper than ordering from the only US distributor. While I appreciate the information that Peter White provides on his website, I personally don't see a single advantage to ordering B&M Lights from there, and I have a lot of them.
Ah, I see what you mean. Ordering from Germany wouldn't be much more expensive. I hadn't realized White's website was still firmly in the 20th century. Perhaps his encounters with scammers is a factor in personally handling each credit transaction. I'd probably use PayPal anyway.

Thanks for the link to Rose Bikes, I may give them a try instead.
canklecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 05:36 PM   #17
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Ah, I see what you mean. Ordering from Germany wouldn't be much more expensive. I hadn't realized White's website was still firmly in the 20th century. Perhaps his encounters with scammers is a factor in personally handling each credit transaction. I'd probably use PayPal anyway...
Perhaps it's because he is a self-proclaimed luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
...Thanks for the link to Rose Bikes, I may give them a try instead.
PayPal on the Rose site only works from within Europe. I have to use a debit card to get the order to process, which I was a little nervous about the first time, but I have now dealt with them many times with nothing but good experiences
kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.