Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-06, 11:17 PM   #276
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by genel
There are four wires coming out of the Whelen unit. +12,GND,mode, and sync. You change modes by temporarily connecting the mode wire to +12.

The Whelen strobe modes are basically, 4,3,2, or 1 blinks at a time, or solid. Each mode has two modes one for chaining to other units. I wish that one of the wires would just do solid then it would make a terrific brake light. I've just been using it in the default 4 blinks mode.

I just used some bits of aluminum strip and "P" clamps to attach it to the rear rack. I discarded the mounting stuff it comes with and am just using the unit itself. real simple. I added a molex connector and a 9V battery connector. The battery is just sitting in the rear bag. I have an 8 Cell AA pack ready when the darn 9volt battery runs out. I've got about 10 hours on it now and it's still flashing, Not quite as bright but still brighter then the LD500, and thats with 9V instead of 12. I still don't know what the current drain is as it only gives max current, but it's quite efficient.

The mounting holes are on the two outside edges of the metal back plate about 3 1/2 inches apart, so the vertical unit would need a bit of finagling to fit on the typical verticle reflector mount.

The electronics appear to be potted (although I didn't actually dissasemble it), so I'm not concerned with weather. The unit is designed to be mounted on the ouside of emergency vehicles.

While riding the Apple Cider Century about 6:00 am and very dark and foggy every car that passed moved completely into the opposite lane, well before reaching me, and I had forgotten to remount the reflector so the only rear lighting was the whelen. So it was bright enough to penetrate the ground fog.

I'm still a little concerned that a flashing red light might be restricted to emergency vehicles, but I haven't been stopped yet.
If you get a chance, could you shoot the Whelen at a wall from 10-15 feet and post a photo, so we can see how its lens distributes the light on the wall?

Also, (yikes, power just went out, all hail my SmartUPS Pro 1000VA), what is the max current that they list? I couldn't find the info at Whelen's site.

Last edited by mechBgon; 10-02-06 at 11:35 PM.
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 07:29 AM   #277
Mr_H
Pedaling Backwards
 
Mr_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Michigan
Bikes: '04 Cannondale F300, '92 Park Pre Rigid MTB
Posts: 400
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a while back, someone posted a link to the Cateye site that listed their different sized mounting brackets. I found that, clicked it, and it went to some other page.

I need to find a new mounting bracket so I can put my TL1000 on my rack. The default mounts that were sent with the taillight are much too big (I need something like a 10mm sized).

Anyone know where I can find those? Thanks
Mr_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 08:03 AM   #278
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_H
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a while back, someone posted a link to the Cateye site that listed their different sized mounting brackets. I found that, clicked it, and it went to some other page.

I need to find a new mounting bracket so I can put my TL1000 on my rack. The default mounts that were sent with the taillight are much too big (I need something like a 10mm sized).

Anyone know where I can find those? Thanks
Do you already know that the Cateye will mount onto standard two hole reflector brackets? Most racks have a hole in the rack and a two hole bracket that will go on it. Most bikes shops have these brackets just lying around. You can shim a slightly oversized clamp with inner tube strips to clamp a smaller bar.

Or..........just look around for less than two minutes....go here..

https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...roducts_id=158

and buy the universal size clamp that works like a zip tie. It's at the bottom of the page. It's a dollar.



 Universal Taillight Clamp $ 1.00 (USD)
Adjustable clamp Add to Cart
544-0892
Attached Images
File Type: gif 544-0892.gif (756 Bytes, 1070 views)

Last edited by 2manybikes; 10-03-06 at 08:16 AM.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 08:52 AM   #279
genel
Senior Member
 
genel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Antioch, IL
Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced I, Montague folding bike, and Cannondale Road Warrior 500
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon
If you get a chance, could you shoot the Whelen at a wall from 10-15 feet and post a photo, so we can see how its lens distributes the light on the wall?

Also, (yikes, power just went out, all hail my SmartUPS Pro 1000VA), what is the max current that they list? I couldn't find the info at Whelen's site.

I'm at work now, will try to get some photos tonight. Looks like it's about 6 ft wide at 15 ft.
genel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 08:19 PM   #280
genel
Senior Member
 
genel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Antioch, IL
Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced I, Montague folding bike, and Cannondale Road Warrior 500
Posts: 326
Whelen TIR3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some photos of the Whelen TIR3. The unit contains 3 very bright LEDS. It has 5 flash patterns and steady. The first picture kinda shows how I mounted it on the back of my rack. The second is taken from about 20 feet behind the bike, with an LD1000 for comparison. The third is the beam spread, I positioned the bike 15 ft from my garage door with a garbage can, with a yard stick in front for a size comparison.

For these pictures I used 8 AA batteries for the TIR3, and 2 fresh AA in the LD1000.

I've actually been using a 9v to drive the Whelen, it's not quite as bright but I'm curious how long it would last. So far 12 hrs.



genel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 10:59 PM   #281
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by genel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some photos of the Whelen TIR3. The unit contains 3 very bright LEDS. It has 5 flash patterns and steady. The first picture kinda shows how I mounted it on the back of my rack. The second is taken from about 20 feet behind the bike, with an LD1000 for comparison. The third is the beam spread, I positioned the bike 15 ft from my garage door with a garbage can, with a yard stick in front for a size comparison.

For these pictures I used 8 AA batteries for the TIR3, and 2 fresh AA in the LD1000.

I've actually been using a 9v to drive the Whelen, it's not quite as bright but I'm curious how long it would last. So far 12 hrs.



SWEET!
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 04:32 PM   #282
kill.cactus
500 Watts
 
kill.cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)
Posts: 833
Cateye says that their HL EL510 LED light produces 1200 candlepower with one LED. According to slovid's lumen/watt calculations that means that the LED is at anywhere from 36 to 60 watts. Is this possible? I don't know anything about wattage for LEDs.

Speaking of cateye lights, which light do they produce (non rechargable) is the best. I mean like I've heard that the HL500II is great and stuff, but I mean what is the BEST. I don't care about weight but rather just the amount of light that it puts out (to see and be seen).

I was thinking perhaps the best would be the HL EL520. Is this true?

Thanks
kill.cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 04:41 PM   #283
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill.cactus
Cateye says that their HL EL510 LED light produces 1200 candlepower with one LED. According to slovid's lumen/watt calculations that means that the LED is at anywhere from 36 to 60 watts. Is this possible? I don't know anything about wattage for LEDs.

Speaking of cateye lights, which light do they produce (non rechargable) is the best. I mean like I've heard that the HL500II is great and stuff, but I mean what is the BEST. I don't care about weight but rather just the amount of light that it puts out (to see and be seen).

I was thinking perhaps the best would be the HL EL520. Is this true?

Thanks

No it's not possible. Roughly 1 or 2 watts.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 05:02 PM   #284
kill.cactus
500 Watts
 
kill.cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
No it's not possible. Roughly 1 or 2 watts.
Then how is it 1200 candlepower? Well... yes lumens and candlepower are different but they should be very similar number-wise, shouldn't they?

So which light looks the most powerful?
kill.cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 01:05 PM   #285
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
Posts: 1,997
I have this light that I use for camping, which puts out a pretty hefty dose of light, it's a headlamp and I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

Four LEDs, with three brightness levels (plus flasher), and an alternate Xenon bulb with three brightness levels possible. You can also swap between three different xenon bulbs, and it has a flashing colored indicator to tell you roughly how much battery life is left.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod..._SHOP_BY_BRAND

So here's what I don't understand: why in the hell does it only cost $65 when bike lights are comparatively ridiculously expensive for fewer features?

Has anyone hacked a hiking headlamp to use on a bike? Good results/bad results?

It seems like it would be a good solution, I'm just trying to get advice and see what might be a problem with retrofitting it to use on a stem or handlebar mount (maybe with a bento box to hold the battery, with the headstraps removed).
superslomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 05:14 PM   #286
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by superslomo
I have this light that I use for camping, which puts out a pretty hefty dose of light, it's a headlamp and I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

Four LEDs, with three brightness levels (plus flasher), and an alternate Xenon bulb with three brightness levels possible. You can also swap between three different xenon bulbs, and it has a flashing colored indicator to tell you roughly how much battery life is left.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod..._SHOP_BY_BRAND

So here's what I don't understand: why in the hell does it only cost $65 when bike lights are comparatively ridiculously expensive for fewer features?

Has anyone hacked a hiking headlamp to use on a bike? Good results/bad results?

It seems like it would be a good solution, I'm just trying to get advice and see what might be a problem with retrofitting it to use on a stem or handlebar mount (maybe with a bento box to hold the battery, with the headstraps removed).
You can get rechargeable halogen bike lights for $85. You save a bundle on batteries if you ride in the dark a lot.

You can buy small bike lights around the same power as that light for around that price, or maybe less.

The more expensive bike lights are much more powerfull than that light.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 06:12 PM   #287
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Astoria, NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 437
I just picked up the Alias HB mount from PlanetBike on nashbar for the discount price of 99. It's no HID, but for the price, and rechargeable, I figured it was a good deal, anybody have any experience with these?
BigMacFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 10:26 PM   #288
mechBgon
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacFU
I just picked up the Alias HB mount from PlanetBike on nashbar for the discount price of 99. It's no HID, but for the price, and rechargeable, I figured it was a good deal, anybody have any experience with these?
I got the similar Insight 15W for my little sister. It has a sort of semi-flood beam pattern and the light has a sort of aqua tint, I'm not sure I like it as well as normal "halogen yellow." That could be a good beam pattern for riding off-road trails. For fast road riding, a spot beam might've been better. In her case, I just want a rechargeable light with a smartcharger for general-purpose use.
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 07:13 AM   #289
blsecres
.
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 51
Do any of you switch dyno powered head and tail lights between multiple bikes? I was running battery powered lights but an accident ruined my battery. I liked the quick release mounting that seems to be standard on battery systems and could easily move the light amongst my three bikes or let my fiancé use it on hers. I disliked having to carry and remember to plug in a charger that wouldn't quite get a full charge while I was at work or sleeping potentially leaving me with a dim light Friday evening. I've been reading Peter White's pages and all his mounting systems seem to be permanent. I have no racks or fenders on any of my bikes.
blsecres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 07:23 AM   #290
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,466
So I started testing my batteries with a optronics H3 50W light. The battery is a 12V, 7 Amh SLA. They are free and hope to put them to good use. I can get 1 hr(or a little more) bright burn time with this set up. It was still burning at 1.5 hrs but was a less bright yellow light. If I switch to 2(flood and spot) 20 W MR 16 lights, what can I expect as to burn time.
What happens to SLA if they stay out overnight during winter? I have to leave a bike at the train station everyday.
Thanks all. Charlie
edit: Maybe this should be on the geek page??
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 07:49 AM   #291
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Astoria, NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I got the similar Insight 15W for my little sister. It has a sort of semi-flood beam pattern and the light has a sort of aqua tint, I'm not sure I like it as well as normal "halogen yellow." That could be a good beam pattern for riding off-road trails. For fast road riding, a spot beam might've been better. In her case, I just want a rechargeable light with a smartcharger for general-purpose use.
I ride in NYC, so trail or fast night road riding are not a concern. My big concern was that my Cateye Opticube 1W wouldn't be enough once we "fall back" an hour and I'm riding home at twilight. With the extra 15W I feel much better, at least cars will have no excuse for not seeing that in their rearview mirrors.
BigMacFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 02:47 PM   #292
robtown
Muscle bike design spec
 
robtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sterling VA
Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie
So I started testing my batteries with a optronics H3 50W light. The battery is a 12V, 7 Amh SLA. They are free and hope to put them to good use. I can get 1 hr(or a little more) bright burn time with this set up. It was still burning at 1.5 hrs but was a less bright yellow light. If I switch to 2(flood and spot) 20 W MR 16 lights, what can I expect as to burn time.
What happens to SLA if they stay out overnight during winter? I have to leave a bike at the train station everyday.
Thanks all. Charlie
edit: Maybe this should be on the geek page??
The Optronics lights (at JCWhitney) are mislabled H3 - they are actually mr16 halogen). The ones I got were 50w tinted yellow. You should change to high efficiiency 20w or 35w and get much better performance.
__________________
Korval is Ships
See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page
robtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 09:22 PM   #293
inja
Senior Member
 
inja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: takoma Park - PG co., MD
Bikes: Felt F55, Leader bike Road, Trek 2100(composite), Haro MTB, Cannondale m800, Devinci mtb.
Posts: 96
I posted this in another thread, but think it also needs to be here...

"We are all spending too much money!
I too drool and ogle over the latest gear and "newest" technology introduced to the bike market.
But alas, can't/won't spend $2-300+ for the latest "greatest" light.
I just went over to Costco and bought a 12$ 4-pack of AAA LEDs.
I put rechargeable NiMh batteries in them , attached 2 to my helmet, and 2 to my bike.
(attaching them was the tricky part.It involved velcro straps and old mounts from various equipment.)
My digital Head trip is starting to "trip" out on me after 5 years of solid use.
My ride starts at 6AM, well before the sun rises. I ride at an average speed of (+/-)15 mph, through typical suburban/urban streets that are both brightly lit to dark, where traffic speeds range from 25-50 mph.
Along with a couple of blinkies in the back, I have no problem seeing or being seen.
The MaHa charger is the most expensive part in the configuration.

After checking out other lighting review and rating sites, I've come to one conclusion...
Cyclists are being hosed by the industry!!!

LED's are the way to go for battery weight and efficiency.

Check out THIS helmet mountable spelunking light.

StenLight S7
Case Material ........................... Stainless Steel / Aluminum
Case Features .......................... Tilt adjustable, blade for helmet attachment
Switch Type ............................. Rotating switch, 5 positions
Lens Type ................................ Two collimator lenses protected by lens window
Bulb Type ................................. Two Luxeon III LEDs
Beam Type ............................... Narrow/medium spot combination
Beam Characteristics ............... Smooth, bright center, slight ring in corona
Throw (Lux) at 1m and Overall............. Output see link above
Battery / Power Type................ Rechargeable Li-Ion (access. kit allows 6AA or 9V)
Battery Life (advertised) ........... 7 to 8 hours on high
Battery Life (test results) ........... 8 hr 15 minutes on high with Lithium Ion battery pack (For really LONG commutes!)
Environmental Protection ......... 20 foot water depth rated (for when it rains a LOT)
Weight (oz.) with batteries ....... 8.6
Warranty .................................. 1 year
Retail Cost ................................ 310.00 US$

Check out the headlamp and lighting sections here. Although the specs aren't as generous.
They also carry a large variety of modular mounting accessories and battery packs in the lighting and helmet sections .

There are some Bad-Ass possibilities out there!


Check out this carbide/LED headlight combo.



I'm intrigued by the carbide option...



...although???

inja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-06, 10:55 AM   #294
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by inja
I posted this in another thread, but think it also needs to be here...

"We are all spending too much money!
I too drool and ogle over the latest gear and "newest" technology introduced to the bike market.
But alas, can't/won't spend $2-300+ for the latest "greatest" light.
I just went over to Costco and bought a 12$ 4-pack of AAA LEDs.
I put rechargeable NiMh batteries in them , attached 2 to my helmet, and 2 to my bike.
(attaching them was the tricky part.It involved velcro straps and old mounts from various equipment.)
My digital Head trip is starting to "trip" out on me after 5 years of solid use.
My ride starts at 6AM, well before the sun rises. I ride at an average speed of (+/-)15 mph, through typical suburban/urban streets that are both brightly lit to dark, where traffic speeds range from 25-50 mph.
Along with a couple of blinkies in the back, I have no problem seeing or being seen.
The MaHa charger is the most expensive part in the configuration.

After checking out other lighting review and rating sites, I've come to one conclusion...
Cyclists are being hosed by the industry!!!

LED's are the way to go for battery weight and efficiency.

Check out THIS helmet mountable spelunking light.

StenLight S7
Case Material ........................... Stainless Steel / Aluminum
Case Features .......................... Tilt adjustable, blade for helmet attachment
Switch Type ............................. Rotating switch, 5 positions
Lens Type ................................ Two collimator lenses protected by lens window
Bulb Type ................................. Two Luxeon III LEDs
Beam Type ............................... Narrow/medium spot combination
Beam Characteristics ............... Smooth, bright center, slight ring in corona
Throw (Lux) at 1m and Overall............. Output see link above
Battery / Power Type................ Rechargeable Li-Ion (access. kit allows 6AA or 9V)
Battery Life (advertised) ........... 7 to 8 hours on high
Battery Life (test results) ........... 8 hr 15 minutes on high with Lithium Ion battery pack (For really LONG commutes!)
Environmental Protection ......... 20 foot water depth rated (for when it rains a LOT)
Weight (oz.) with batteries ....... 8.6
Warranty .................................. 1 year
Retail Cost ................................ 310.00 US$
That light is not bright or inexpensive compared to HID bike lights you can now buy. A head mounted
13 w HID much more powerfull than that for $185. That light is good for walking or spelunking. You need to see beam comparison shots. Or actually see the lights.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 08:37 PM   #295
Ngchen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill.cactus
Then how is it 1200 candlepower? Well... yes lumens and candlepower are different but they should be very similar number-wise, shouldn't they?

So which light looks the most powerful?
Well, what's going on is that lumens and candlepower really are different. Lumens is the total amount of visible light put out. Candlepower is the amount of light put out per solid angle. I'm no expert on solid geometry; however, an extreme example would be as follows: a laser pointer has LOTS of candlepower straight in its beam (maybe millions or more), but has very few lumens, b/c the light is almost 100% concentrated in the beam. The cateye LEDs tend to produce highly concentrated beams, with very little light scatter. So they have few lumens and lots of peak candlepower.

As to which is more important, well, it's highly subjective. I prefer having overall more light, with a good beam spread. Some people prefer having a powerful spot that they can move to where they want to see clearly. Good light manufacturers try to come up with a compromise b/t a spot and flood, and this IMO is the biggest difference b/t a bike headlight, and a flashlight mounted on the handlebars, namely the superior beam pattern.
Ngchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 12:03 AM   #296
IanJ
95% gasoline-free
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 23
LED light review

I have a half-assed LED headlight review up, based on a quick hands-on I had at REI this evening. I was getting sick of reading about these things without being able to see how they actually worked and felt and such.

Review/comparo of NiteRider MiNewt and Cygolite Dualcross

Enjoy! Hopefully that's useful information to more people than just me.
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:21 AM   #297
arcticbiker
1coolrider
 
arcticbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 475
Commuter Lights

I've been commuting in the pitch black for 6 years now. It gets dark in Alaska. I've been using the Performance dual for most of that time. Since I'm riding on studded tires, my speeds are normally under 20 mph except for some downhills. Speed doesn't seem to be an issue at lower speeds.

That said, I've recently switched to a NR Flight HID w/ the Lithium Ion battery. The battery is really small and I use the highest light level on my 20 mile (one way) commute. The light level remains the same even though the battery is weakening. I have no idea how long the battery lasts between charges yet. The ride is just under 2 hrs one way. The HID light is so much brighter with better coloration that I feel much safer riding between the moose on the trails now.

Also, I have 3 mounts for the light. Handlebars, helmet, and then a headmount strap for skiing on unlit trails. I haven't tried that yet but it's been snowing for a few days now and I'll let you know how it works.

I have several LED headlamps also (as I said it's dark in Alaska) that are reliable but definetly much less light output.

Although HID's are still relatively expensive, my vote is HID. (so far the NR seems to be a good product). I got mine on ebay for around 60% of retail including shipping.
arcticbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 04:29 PM   #298
chocula
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Bikes: '79 Peugeot UE8, '89 Schwinn Mesa Runner, '79 Schwinn Traveler
Posts: 249
Best for under $50?

For more than a year I've been using a Cateye EL200 in the strobe mode and that seems to catch motorists' eyes. However, in the last week I've had two motorists pull out in front of me as if they couldn't see me. Both had cellphones attached to the sides of their noggins, but I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to put a little more light upfront. Most of my commute follows streets lit with "cobra head" sodium vapor lamps, so the primary purpose of my light is to command attention, not light the way.

My first idea was simply to buy a second EL200, in the interest in handlebar symmetry and all. But I thought I'd turn to the council of elders for advice. What light, costing $50 or less, is a good solution for me. Thanks in advance.
chocula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 05:11 PM   #299
40x14
delicious
 
40x14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: nyc downtown
Bikes: The one under my bum.
Posts: 316
First, make sure your lights are pointed even with the driver's field-of-view, not down at the ground or up at the sky.

For commuting, I use a cateye EL320 and this sucker is bright. It is around $40, new for 2006/2007. I think I might prefer it over my $250 niterider digital for city riding.
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/325

I also have a nashbar tiny light set inconspicuosly mounted on the helmet. When I really feel like I need to be seen I'll turn on the front helmet light in blink mode as well as whatever else I have set up on the handlebar. Since this light shines in the direction that I'm looking, I have better control of it.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?sku=18354

Last edited by 40x14; 11-10-06 at 03:41 PM.
40x14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 07:04 PM   #300
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,461
After nearly getting T-boned in traffic last week, I was determined to get a new light set up. The crafty side of me would love to do one of those Total Geekiness projects, but to be honest I just don't have the skills. Nor do I have soldering iron.

I'm thinking very seriously of getting the Jet Lites Starfire Single Beam. A bit spendy but they get super high reviews on the MTBReview.com light page and they're my NorCal homies. Anybody have these?
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.