Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/)
-   -   Light selection guide. (http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/142723-light-selection-guide.html)

fuji86 09-20-10 12:11 AM

I went with the Zefal set from Wal Mart for $ 17.97 plus tax. The instructions and actual battery cage for the front light was incorrectly indicated for battery installation of the 3 AAA batteries. Had to play around with that to get it to work. The rear light was way too easy, which is how I like it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zefal-LED-...-5620/14264318

Anyway, it's a be seen by others only and limp home, but still ride slowly. It's before sunrise & after sunset legal, but you'll want to ride with street lights if you still have a ways to go to get home.

Had it for a few hours and used them tonight for a test ride, I'd say the quality isn't the greatest, but for under $ 20, they're serviceable units. See how they hold up ?

black_box 09-29-10 10:11 AM

I need some lights, already have a superflash for the rear and a petzl tactikka XP headlamp, I guess I could put that on my helmet/head as a be-seen light to point at cars.

I like the idea of a flashlight for at least one of them, recommendations for those? Are there any problems with 123A lithium batteries? I'm looking at some new surefire flashlights that are supposed to be out soon with reasonable prices (for surefire).

rockadayjohnny 09-29-10 01:56 PM

I like the idea of multiple lights. But how about steady red on the left and flashing another color on the right. Blue would be great for slowing drivers down but another thread suggested it may be illegal. I found Lightman lights which come in clear, amber, green. But they are strobe and I'm not sure if that's appropriate for tail lights either from a peaceful coexistence standpoint with drivers or affecting their vision.

2manybikes 09-29-10 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 11542070)
I need some lights, already have a superflash for the rear and a petzl tactikka XP headlamp, I guess I could put that on my helmet/head as a be-seen light to point at cars.

I like the idea of a flashlight for at least one of them, recommendations for those? Are there any problems with 123A lithium batteries? I'm looking at some new surefire flashlights that are supposed to be out soon with reasonable prices (for surefire).

Don't point a white light at a driver. It's illegal and dangerous. If you ride at night a lot rechargeable batteries are cheaper. There are tons of problems with rechargeable 123A batteries, they are dangerous. There is a lot about it on candlepower forums. Try a light that takes two AA NimH batteries.
And use Sanyo Eneloops. All this is covered in much detail on CPF. Don't forget to consider how long you need a light to run for. That changes a lot of things.
Yeah Blue Is illegal, it's only for Cops.
It seems to me that it is not a coincidence that flashing bike tailights don't flash at a rate that would match a car turn signal. It may be so one can tell it's not a car. At least I can tell when I see them.
Forget about peaceful coexistence with cars. There's no such thing.
Use a red light on the rear so it can be identified by others as the back of something. In some places only red is the law, in some places maybe not. Laws change all over the place but they are mostly on line.

deepakvrao 10-09-10 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tshelver (Post 11108530)
I'm not too sure how relevant MPH is as a factor. For me, at 55 years young, my night vision is a fraction of what it was when I was younger, so I am becoming more and more dependent on powerful lighting as the years go by.

How can you say LEDs are expensive? I bought a tactical 200 lumen red LED flashlight made out of machined aluminum for $10. Shipped from Hong Kong to my door.
Makes a great rear light, way stronger than any 'Superflash'. All you need to add are rechargable 18650 batteries, and you can get a charger and 4 quality protected 3000 mAh batteries for under 30 bucks.

Could you share the link to that red LED falashlight please?

davidad 10-09-10 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11545717)
Don't point a white light at a driver. It's illegal and dangerous. If you ride at night a lot rechargeable batteries are cheaper. There are tons of problems with rechargeable 123A batteries, they are dangerous. There is a lot about it on candlepower forums. Try a light that takes two AA NimH batteries.
And use Sanyo Eneloops. All this is covered in much detail on CPF. Don't forget to consider how long you need a light to run for. That changes a lot of things.
Yeah Blue Is illegal, it's only for Cops.
It seems to me that it is not a coincidence that flashing bike tailights don't flash at a rate that would match a car turn signal. It may be so one can tell it's not a car. At least I can tell when I see them.
Forget about peaceful coexistence with cars. There's no such thing.
Use a red light on the rear so it can be identified by others as the back of something. In some places only red is the law, in some places maybe not. Laws change all over the place but they are mostly on line.

Why do you think that they are dangerous? http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

2manybikes 10-10-10 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidad (Post 11597204)
Why do you think that they are dangerous? http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

Go to CandlePowerForums and read about all the explosions that blew through things and started fires. Read the tests about them. Read the common practice of not ever, ever, leaving a charging 123 alone. Read about the fire proof bags that are used by remote control plane users to put the chargers in, they can explode. My tread in CPF describes how a new light with a new 123 popped and vented in my hands. The fumes and the material that comes out of a Lithium battery can kill you later with a heart attack with no early symptoms, if you inhale the smoke or get some of the material on your hands. There is more, but I don't want to repost everything I read about it in years. Use search on CandlePowerForums. There's a lot to read.
Unprotected (no protection circuit in the battery case), are not even supposed to be available to the public, but they can be found.

If you don't know about the problems and don't want to search candlepowerforums to read about it, don't use them.

Ziemas 10-10-10 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11600595)
Go to CandlePowerForums and read about all the explosions that blew through things and started fires. Read the tests about them. Read the common practice of not ever, ever, leaving a charging 123 alone. Read about the fire proof bags that are used by remote control plane users to put the chargers in, they can explode. My tread in CPF describes how a new light with a new 123 popped and vented in my hands. The fumes and the material that comes out of a Lithium battery can kill you later with a heart attack with no early symptoms, if you inhale the smoke or get some of the material on your hands. There is more, but I don't want to repost everything I read about it in years. Use search on CandlePowerForums. There's a lot to read.
Unprotected (no protection circuit in the battery case), are not even supposed to be available to the public, but they can be found.

If you don't know about the problems and don't want to search candlepowerforums to read about it, don't use them.

Was it a one or two cell light that you had problems with?

2manybikes 10-10-10 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziemas (Post 11600651)
Was it a one or two cell light that you had problems with?

It was a single cell. Most of the conversations on CPF are problems with double cell lights. But a couple others have had single cell problems. It may be just that there are more double cell lights out there. I don't know. I had a brand new light, a brand new battery and it was the first time I used the light. It started to run low and would not operate the Fenix light on turbo. I did not know what was happening, I kept twisting the head on and off thinking it was a switching problem. Then it blew. I had Fenix clean the light and return it. As far as I know there was no problem with the light. I think the much higher drain on a single cell battery de-stabilizes a cell faster than a multi cell. But I don't know for sure.

BTW - My Radbot is working great, have you had any problems?

Ziemas 10-10-10 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11600782)
It was a single cell. Most of the conversations on CPF are problems with double cell lights. But a couple others have had single cell problems. It may be just that there are more double cell lights out there. I don't know. I had a brand new light, a brand new battery and it was the first time I used the light. It started to run low and would not operate the Fenix light on turbo. I did not know what was happening, I kept twisting the head on and off thinking it was a switching problem. Then it blew. I had Fenix clean the light and return it. As far as I know there was no problem with the light. I think the much higher drain on a single cell battery de-stabilizes a cell faster than a multi cell. But I don't know for sure.

BTW - My Radbot is working great, have you had any problems?

None at all. My Radbots are dead solid.

Exactly what kind of battery was it? I take it that it was a primary and not a rechargeable. I've yet to see a report of a single cell protected rechargeable exploding in a light that wasn't do to user error such as shorting out the battery with a magnet.

2manybikes 10-10-10 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziemas (Post 11600888)
None at all. My Radbots are dead solid.

Exactly what kind of battery was it? I take it that it was a primary and not a rechargeable. I've yet to see a report of a single cell protected rechargeable exploding in a light that wasn't do to user error such as shorting out the battery with a magnet.

It was a primary. Some brand that is cheap and not recommended. I think it was an Ultra-Fire. Hopefully it was the cheap battery. I don't know how we can be positive. I thought I remembered two threads in CPF about single cell rechargeables venting. I can't remember, it was at least three years ago. ?? It would be nice If I'm wrong.

I'm glad to hear about the Radbots. I use mine day and night. A couple of other riders have bought Radbots based on how bright mine is during the day. For some reason Mechbgon had trouble with his "new" replacements and stopped using them. Have you used yours in cold weather?

Ziemas 10-10-10 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11600964)
It was a primary. Some brand that is cheap and not recommended. I think it was an Ultra-Fire. Hopefully it was the cheap battery. I don't know how we can be positive. I thought I remembered two threads in CPF about single cell rechargeables venting. I can't remember, it was at least three years ago. ?? It would be nice If I'm wrong.

I'm glad to hear about the Radbots. I use mine day and night. A couple of other riders have bought Radbots based on how bright mine is during the day. For some reason Mechbgon had trouble with his "new" replacements and stopped using them. Have you used yours in cold weather?



Not yet, but I can't imagine that there would be any issues as it's the batteries that are the main problem in the cold, and the cell I've been using (Eneloops) have performed well in the cold.

2manybikes 10-10-10 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziemas (Post 11600997)
Not yet, but I can't imagine that there would be any issues as it's the batteries that are the main problem in the cold, and the cell I've been using (Eneloops) have performed well in the cold.

How does your winter compare to New England? I don't remember it getting below zero where I live. Some things don't work well with a small voltage drop, but, I have also had good performance from Eneloops in the cold.

Ziemas 10-10-10 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11601474)
How does your winter compare to New England? I don't remember it getting below zero where I live. Some things don't work well with a small voltage drop, but, I have also had good performance from Eneloops in the cold.

It regularly gets down to -20c.

davidad 10-10-10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 11600595)
Go to CandlePowerForums and read about all the explosions that blew through things and started fires. Read the tests about them. Read the common practice of not ever, ever, leaving a charging 123 alone. Read about the fire proof bags that are used by remote control plane users to put the chargers in, they can explode. My tread in CPF describes how a new light with a new 123 popped and vented in my hands. The fumes and the material that comes out of a Lithium battery can kill you later with a heart attack with no early symptoms, if you inhale the smoke or get some of the material on your hands. There is more, but I don't want to repost everything I read about it in years. Use search on CandlePowerForums. There's a lot to read.
Unprotected (no protection circuit in the battery case), are not even supposed to be available to the public, but they can be found.

If you don't know about the problems and don't want to search candlepowerforums to read about it, don't use them.

I don't use the smaller ones. I use 18650 protected batteries.

socalrider 10-10-10 05:28 PM

I have used RCR123's in my fenix lights with no problems.. I do use a rcr123 specific charger for them, that is a slower and gentler charge..

tshelver 10-11-10 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 11596452)
Could you share the link to that red LED falashlight please?


http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20333

Gemini Lights 10-12-10 03:35 AM

Hello,

Sorry for interrupting the discussions but I was wondering how could I contact the author of the post? We have a new Light product and we'd love to be reviewed.

Cheers from a Greek Rider

AustinShredman 10-12-10 06:01 AM

In Austin...you just have to be seen.
 
The police here in Austin have been issuing tickets to riders who have those tiny, single LED lights blinking to the rear. All the police care about is if you can be seen. The riders who are using tiny lights, just can't be seen very well at a distance. The officers I have spoken with tell me the law states red must be the color of rear-facing lights....but amber is also acceptable. AGAIN...as long as you can be seen in traffic! I have seen discussion lately about a new rear light, several users are discussing the FlashBak on many sites. ( http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=flashbak) So, I tried one. Very different, very bright, very flexable and kind of cool. It runs on plain or rechargeable AA batteries. I've compared it at long distances to my SuperFlash and it is brighter. Google FlashBak...the discussion is out there. Does anyone else use one of these lights? Your thoughts?

frank10 10-12-10 07:30 AM

I have some quality AA lights that I'd like to mount to my handlebar. Any good brackets to do that with?

black_box 10-12-10 07:43 AM

the lockblock is popular:
http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

deepakvrao 10-20-10 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 11610310)
the lockblock is popular:
http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

Will I be able to use this as a fork mount for a flashlight? My touring bike has a HBB and I cant have a handlebar mount?

no1mad 10-20-10 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 11654123)
Will I be able to use this as a fork mount for a flashlight? My touring bike has a HBB and I cant have a handlebar mount?

I don't think lockblocks works as a fork mount...

But there is something else that should help you out- a bar extender that will allow you to place your light(s) above the bag. Here's one example from Minoura, Topeak makes a version as well.http://www.nashbar.com/images/nashba...00-NCL-TOP.jpg

davidad 10-21-10 04:53 PM

I have this on my steel forks with a lock block. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...0052_164164_-1___

deepakvrao 10-21-10 09:44 PM

Thanks guys for both the suggestions. Will try the Nashbar one first. Looks neat.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.