Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 495
  1. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok what am I missing? I don't seen an excel file attachment or anything in the OP to download

    -D

  2. #177
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a zip file. Sorry I think it got lost when they upgraded the server, it's back now.

  3. #178
    New! With Self Loathing! scottmorrison99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fairfield, California
    My Bikes
    2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite
    Posts
    1,618
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the charts the NiteRider Classic Plus is shown as 5/10/15watts, I just bought one today and it is 12/20/32watts. If only I could approach the maximum speeds listed for the light it emits....sigh.

  4. #179
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmorrison99
    If only I could approach the maximum speeds listed for the light it emits....sigh.
    The maximum speed for ANY light it emits is 186282 MPS at which point your mass would exceed infinity causing the gravitational collapse of the Universe Thanks, I couldn't resist misunderstanding your post. You certainly can exceed the safe reach of your lights. I've seen it happen twice in Death Valley. Try a long, straight, steep hill with a tailwind.
    This space open

  5. #180
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a really nice LED review courtesy of ken wind.
    http://www.gearreview.com/2006_led_lights.php

  6. #181
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,745
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ken cummings
    The maximum speed for ANY light it emits is 186282 MPS at which point your mass would exceed infinity causing the gravitational collapse of the Universe Thanks, I couldn't resist misunderstanding your post. You certainly can exceed the safe reach of your lights. I've seen it happen twice in Death Valley. Try a long, straight, steep hill with a tailwind.

    I can ride that fast! It even says so right on my bike. It says Litespeed.

    What else could it mean?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #182
    Cyclist acidinmylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    There's a really nice LED review courtesy of ken wind.
    http://www.gearreview.com/2006_led_lights.php
    slvoid, That's my review.

    -James

  8. #183
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidinmylegs
    slvoid, That's my review.

    -James
    Oops... I meant the link is.
    I list the names of people who send me the links, as I did not find it.

  9. #184
    Cyclist acidinmylegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Oops... I meant the link is.
    I list the names of people who send me the links, as I did not find it.
    Ah... I understand now, no problem.

    -James

  10. #185
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    I can ride that fast! It even says so right on my bike. It says Litespeed.

    What else could it mean?
    Beauty. Lets move this subthread to the humor section
    This space open

  11. #186
    late member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're interested in dynamo powered lights, this is a thorough site:

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-lumotec.asp

  12. #187
    Junior Member Beezodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed a set of Schmidt E6s (primary and secondary) and a SON hub on Connie's and my Tour Easys. For those of you who have wondered whether hub generators are an alternative to battery driven lights on roads, the answer is yes! Good light pattern and freedom from recharging means that whenever you need the lights you have them. Most of the time I have ridden with my NiteRiders meant charging them up and bringing them from home on special rides. Were I to get stranded out late away from home the only lights I've had were small LEDs.

    But with these lights I don't have to do anything special to be prepared to ride in the dark. And there is no limit to their burn times. I could ride a 1200K brevet and have light not only the first eight (8) hours of darkness on the first night, but have light for the other night time riding as well, without having to either recharge batteries or install new disposables.

    Neat!

  13. #188
    = cyclist's tan rat_factory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the big D in the big T
    My Bikes
    '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody tried cygo-lite's night explorer? i just got mine and i couldn't be happier. 10w wide and 15w spot. I commute in the city, so HID or 30w+ is not necessary. nice 5Ah NiMH bottle battery too. i had to spend $20 for a smart charger and make a connector to fit the M-type DC adaptor the batt came with. too bad cuz when i opened it it had a mini-tamiya inside the bottle that fits the stock 'universal' charger perfect. the aluminum housing get blistering hot though. overall damn good for the $75 price tag.

  14. #189
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated the excel chart.

    If the aluminium gets blistering hot, that's probably damaging the battery...

  15. #190
    = cyclist's tan rat_factory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the big D in the big T
    My Bikes
    '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well actually its the lamp housing that gets hot not the battery. its completely stock except for the charger so i hope cygolite made it so it doesnt damage the battery. maybe its not as hot as i think seeing as some people are running homebrew 50w lights in metal housing too.

    i'm thinking about putting a cpu heatsink on it so i dont have to wait as long for it to cool down before i put it away.

  16. #191
    Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sterling VA
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Posts
    3,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me tell you about how my do it yourself (DIY) bike light project is evolving. As it started getting darker in November last year I had picked up a cygolite dual 6w halogen helmet-mount system. It's a fine light but I needed “more power” as Tim the tool man used to say. I wanted to supplement the helmet light with a handlebar light that could give me a little more distance. In addition, if it's below 25F in the mornings or raining I wear a ski helmet that has fewer vents and ear covers but no light.
    In order to experiment and keep the price down I bought several items from batteryspace.com. With their free shipping special on 24 2300 mah AA batteries and a 5% discount I had enough for two sets of 12 each. That gives a nominal voltage of 14.4v. I connected two 6 AA battery holders using a waterproof switch and added a ceramic bulb holder. The batteries tuck into a water bottle.
    The original plan was to temporarily attach the bulb holder and MR16 bulb via a reflector hanger to my handlebar. Before that happened I found the optronics driving lights in the forums and ordered a pair of the black plastic ones. I did play with the 12 degree spot 20 watt MR16 annoying the family and shining the light around the neighborhood until the optronics housing came in.
    The first night on the rail trail was glorious. Riding at 15 – 20 mph I had almost 3 seconds of lit area ahead. As I approached pedestrians from behind they knew something was coming up behind them. Of course the nice tight beam was extra bright due to over-volting.
    The light didn't quite make the full 45 minute commute. A little research brought up the LightBrain light controller. I picked up the twin controller shipped for $45. It's a little PC card that you wire between the battery and lights [ I put mine in a 35mm film canister.] It soft starts the bulb reducing initial current and extending bulb and battery life. You hook up momentary closed switch to turn on the lamp(s) and cycle up through 37%, 62%, and 100% light settings. It maintains a constant 13.2v until the battery drops lower, then runs at 12v. With the LightBrain I make the full 45 min commute.
    I've experimented with some other bulbs with different wattages and degree spread. In particular, I picked up the Phillips Masterline 35w 24 degree and the Masterline 8 degree 20 watt spot. The 20 watt is supposed to put out the equivalent of 35 watts. I've also bought a Solux 17 degree 35 watt bulb. The 35 watt bulbs are bright but using one will have to wait for greater battery capacity. The biggest surprise in bulbs is that the 12 degree batteryspace.com bulb for under $2.50 actually put out a tighter whiter light than the $11 Phillips 8 degree 20 watt bulb. This was even more evident at the lower 62% setting.
    Here is a parts list:
    24 AA 2300 mah batteries - batteryspace.com
    ceramic holder Optronics housings
    20 watt 12 degree MR16 - batteryspace.com
    waterproof switch
    LightBrain controller

    Used reflector mount from local performance bike

    I plan to buy a this Li-ion batter pack and charger for next fall/winter and upgrade to the dual light system
    18v Li-ion battery pack

  17. #192
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted my new long distance lighting set up with Schmidt Hub over in the road cycling forum.

    You can find it here.



    So far its a wonderful thing.
    I'm going to try for a 20 mile ride tonight, for further testing, adjustment.

  18. #193
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing i have seen so far

    www.higlow.co.nz

  19. #194
    Senior Member Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wichita KS USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throwing in my experience:

    I have bought several front lights now and have finally found one that I really like.

    My first lights were a small leds that proved to be useless. These dont throw enough light on the road to se where you are going. You are more visible, but you arent really safely lighting up the road.

    My next light was the Nite Hawk Dual Pro Lighting System w/Helmet Mount. This light is bright and very effective but I found that I seldom used it. It includes both a 20w and a 10w lamp. The 20w lamp drained the battery very quickly, once the battery was about a year old. The 10w was still very effective and would last nearly an hour on the year-used battery, but I found myself without it often. The setup was too ugly, bulky, and heavy to keep on the bike at all times. There were several nights that I found myself barely coasting with my tiny led because I would not carry the Nitehawk set with me all the time. The wires and battery are very bulky.

    Finally, I just purchased the Dinotte ultralight 5w LED. The light output is nearly as bright as the 10w halogen, but battery life is good and the thing is TINY. The lamp is beautiful and about the size of my thumb. The battery pack is also tiny and looks nice. I forget its on the bike until I need it. It throws out a beam that is safe for riding a dark street or path at a reasonable speed. I wont be going as fast with it as I do in bright sunlight, but the bike is still a mode of transportation at night. It is the perfect compromise in my opinion. Small enough to keep it on the bike at all times and powerful enough to be useful. Another plus is that if I ever run the battery dead, I just grab some AAs from my bag or a gas station and Im back in business. No worries! I love the thing.

    They are awful bold for asking $200 for it but its a great product.

  20. #195
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
    Throwing in my experience:

    I have bought several front lights now and have finally found one that I really like.

    My first lights were a small leds that proved to be useless. These dont throw enough light on the road to se where you are going. You are more visible, but you arent really safely lighting up the road.

    My next light was the Nite Hawk Dual Pro Lighting System w/Helmet Mount. This light is bright and very effective but I found that I seldom used it. It includes both a 20w and a 10w lamp. The 20w lamp drained the battery very quickly, once the battery was about a year old. The 10w was still very effective and would last nearly an hour on the year-used battery, but I found myself without it often. The setup was too ugly, bulky, and heavy to keep on the bike at all times. There were several nights that I found myself barely coasting with my tiny led because I would not carry the Nitehawk set with me all the time. The wires and battery are very bulky.

    Finally, I just purchased the Dinotte ultralight 5w LED. The light output is nearly as bright as the 10w halogen, but battery life is good and the thing is TINY. The lamp is beautiful and about the size of my thumb. The battery pack is also tiny and looks nice. I forget its on the bike until I need it. It throws out a beam that is safe for riding a dark street or path at a reasonable speed. I wont be going as fast with it as I do in bright sunlight, but the bike is still a mode of transportation at night. It is the perfect compromise in my opinion. Small enough to keep it on the bike at all times and powerful enough to be useful. Another plus is that if I ever run the battery dead, I just grab some AAs from my bag or a gas station and Im back in business. No worries! I love the thing.

    They are awful bold for asking $200 for it but its a great product.
    What sort of runtime do you get, or have you determined that yet?

  21. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    What sort of runtime do you get, or have you determined that yet?
    I get 100 minutes on mine w/ 2500 mAh Energizer cells; about 80 mins. with the OEM 2300 mAh cells after a few cycles. I routinely carry two sets of cells, since 4 AA's don't weigh much. I also run my light on "high" the entire time; the "low" setting is still usefully bright, but I don't know how much more time it gets you.

    Jack

  22. #197
    Senior Member Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wichita KS USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    What sort of runtime do you get, or have you determined that yet?
    I have never run them dead yet, but I haven't given them a hard test either. I have run them about 90 mins so far, at the longest but had a bright beam at that point. Like I pointed out in my original post: they run on AAs. I have a lightweight backup if they give up. The light is overpriced, like I stated above; but they are perfect (and therefore a value) for the way I cycle. I ride to work 3 or 4 days per week. the light always lives on my handlebar and I can get home safely if necessary within 20 miles of my home. Even if I get nuts and find myself having a good time after dark at a greater distance, I can stop at a convenience store and buy batteries to last another 90 minutes for about $3.

    These are great commuter lights but they are overpriced. They give off light similar to a 10 Watt halogen. Problem is that I haven't found anything better for the way I ride.

    the lamp makes your bike useful in total darkness at 10-15mph. If the stock battery dies, you can get backup juice anywhere for very little $. Its a great light. Perhaps I'm only excited about them because I have tried to get along with the Nite Rider Halogens for too long, but the style, tiny size, and widely available extended power make them a winner for me personally. It makes me sick that I gave $180 for a tiny flashlight (on sale), but I love the damned thing.

    It's just my two cents

  23. #198
    Senior Member Jeffbeerman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wichita KS USA
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ
    I get 100 minutes on mine w/ 2500 mAh Energizer cells; about 80 mins. with the OEM 2300 mAh cells after a few cycles. I routinely carry two sets of cells, since 4 AA's don't weigh much. I also run my light on "high" the entire time; the "low" setting is still usefully bright, but I don't know how much more time it gets you.

    Jack
    I agree, the low setting is bright enough to be very useful. I tried both on a no-lights pitch black trail just after I purchased the light. Low is about 80% of high.

    Like Jack stated, it is nothing to carry an extra set of AA cells.

  24. #199
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
    the lamp makes your bike useful in total darkness at 10-15mph. If the stock battery dies, you can get backup juice anywhere for very little $. Its a great light. Perhaps I'm only excited about them because I have tried to get along with the Nite Rider Halogens for too long, but the style, tiny size, and widely available extended power make them a winner for me personally. It makes me sick that I gave $180 for a tiny flashlight (on sale), but I love the damned thing.

    It's just my two cents
    I gave up on my Nite Rider System. It always seemed to short out or the battery would quit when I needed it most. Moved to a dyno hub. Wish I spent the $$ on it 3-4 years ago... I would probably would have broken even with the amount of $$ I spent on batteries for LED and other systems, shipping the Nite Rider back to the manufac. etc.

  25. #200
    Team Katana 古強者死神's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    My Bikes
    None /cry
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say screw the blinkies and toss some dayglow paint your bike and some neons / black lights and let it glow baby!

    ^^

    is that Dinotte ultralight 5w LED good enough for trail riding at dark or just for average street riding.

    Ah answered my own question :

    Here is a great review of that light:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1377408

    Because of its LED nature it would last much longer than Halogen or HID lights and thus make its high cost overcome the others IMO and its simple battery pack setup means I can make a DIY battery pack easy to make it last longer than the stock time. Untill I stroll across a better system I think this will be the light I end up buying, small, simple, effective. Very good light.
    Last edited by 古強者死神; 05-27-06 at 04:11 AM.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •