Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-07, 11:48 AM   #1
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Cateye EL410 or Planet Bike Beamer 3/5

is anyone use EL410 (Cateye company) for Beamer 3, for Beamer 5 (Planet Bike Company)?

for best? for brights? to choose?

si there for compare online?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 05:14 AM   #2
bigfo
human
 
bigfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dodgeville, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Planet Bike has a light finder on their website that is pretty helpful to see how the beams look in the dark. It only compares Planet Bike lights but it can give you an idea of the Beamer 3 & 5. If you lookaround on the forums I'm sure somebody has a comparison
bigfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 10:14 AM   #3
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfo
Planet Bike has a light finder on their website that is pretty helpful to see how the beams look in the dark. It only compares Planet Bike lights but it can give you an idea of the Beamer 3 & 5. If you lookaround on the forums I'm sure somebody has a comparison

of interest for, the planetbike 3 has the 3 x LED and cateye has the 3X LED
in my location is planet $20, is catey $50

cateye for brighter?
is curious not has
the people are not hs the both?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 09:09 PM   #4
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montréal (Québec)
Bikes:
Posts: 3,023
I have looked and tried an EL-410. My trial was in the shop, wiith my own Beamer 5 in hand for comparison.

How do they compare?

With fresh batteries, I think the total light output is roughly the same.

EL-410
The EL-410 throws all the light in a tight circle, so it's best to light things far away. But in a totally dark environment, I would prefer a bit of stray light on the ground too.
It has a translucent ring all around, which gives side visibility. I would put electrical tape on the top to avoid partial blinding from that.
It is said to be submersible (dixit Cateye), which means it won't stop working if you ride in hard rain.
The "clamp" is very ingenious as it works on almost anything. But I didn't feel it was as secure as the clamps used on Planet Bike lights.
It uses 3 AAA batteries, so it's not rechargeable-friendly.


Beamer 5 (sorry, I did not experiment with the 3)
Like most Planet Bike headlights, it uses 2 AA batteries. So if you get rechargeables, you can charge them in pairs.
It resists to midst or to a short rain, but not to 2-hour downpours. So my Planet Bike headlights now live in a plastic bag.
Illumination: there is a centre spot and four accessory ones. Overall, it means less light in the centre than what you would get with the EL-410, but also some light close to your bike wheel to help you see potholes.

Conclusion
Though both would offer you visibility, I think the Beamer wins by a tiny margin because it's more visible than the EL-410 off-axis.
Amongts these two, I might prefer the Beamer 5 for city riding, and none of them by themselves as your sole lighting source.
But to further my recommendation, I would suggest the Planet Bike Blaze: still 2 AA batteries, rugged construction, but with a better beam, especially on the road.
Michel Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 12:34 AM   #5
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
I have looked and tried an EL-410. My trial was in the shop, wiith my own Beamer 5 in hand for comparison.

How do they compare?

With fresh batteries, I think the total light output is roughly the same.

EL-410
The EL-410 throws all the light in a tight circle, so it's best to light things far away. But in a totally dark environment, I would prefer a bit of stray light on the ground too.
It has a translucent ring all around, which gives side visibility. I would put electrical tape on the top to avoid partial blinding from that.
It is said to be submersible (dixit Cateye), which means it won't stop working if you ride in hard rain.
The "clamp" is very ingenious as it works on almost anything. But I didn't feel it was as secure as the clamps used on Planet Bike lights.
It uses 3 AAA batteries, so it's not rechargeable-friendly.


Beamer 5 (sorry, I did not experiment with the 3)
Like most Planet Bike headlights, it uses 2 AA batteries. So if you get rechargeables, you can charge them in pairs.
It resists to midst or to a short rain, but not to 2-hour downpours. So my Planet Bike headlights now live in a plastic bag.
Illumination: there is a centre spot and four accessory ones. Overall, it means less light in the centre than what you would get with the EL-410, but also some light close to your bike wheel to help you see potholes.

Conclusion
Though both would offer you visibility, I think the Beamer wins by a tiny margin because it's more visible than the EL-410 off-axis.
Amongts these two, I might prefer the Beamer 5 for city riding, and none of them by themselves as your sole lighting source.
But to further my recommendation, I would suggest the Planet Bike Blaze: still 2 AA batteries, rugged construction, but with a better beam, especially on the road.
thanks many


i go buy BLT Ultra Doppler DX

http://www.blt-lights.com/ultraDopplerDx.htm
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 02:43 AM   #6
DucVDuc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 48
A fenix torch would be way brighter.
DucVDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 02:48 PM   #7
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucVDuc
A fenix torch would be way brighter.
yes

i has l2d ce cree fenix 2aa

this serve light
not to use strobe for fenix for much distract

addition for more light

to add second to fenix, for blinky, look for secondary slower blinky

for fenix is solid on, blinky like slower, or blt light ultra doppler (5 LED), or flare dx (7 LED)?

or for Princeton Tec EOS? 1-Watt LED for blinky

1-Watt= 1xLED =narrow
5XLED= wider
7xLED=widest (best for see by motorist?)

3 X Lights:
========
-is to has the fenix l2d ce on handlebar (left) solid on,
-has for the BLT Flare DX for right handlebar (7X LED) 7X flasing ,
-for Princeton Tec EOS for helmut flahsing?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 07:47 PM   #8
DucVDuc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 48
Why not just 2 x fenix; one on bars solid, one on helmet flashing. More effective and cheaper IMHO.
DucVDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 08:50 PM   #9
pedalMonger
Erectible Member
 
pedalMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enroute
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusor
yes

i has l2d ce cree fenix 2aa
How do you like the Fenix? How have you been using it? Did you get a twofish yet, or find another way to use it on your bike?
pedalMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:35 PM   #10
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalMonger
How do you like the Fenix? How have you been using it? Did you get a twofish yet, or find another way to use it on your bike?
twofish=13$+shipp?

planetbike blinky 7XLED= 9$

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3110.html

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3107.html

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3008_1.html
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:39 PM   #11
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
for use and ad welcroe strip:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1181364438049

Last edited by Elusor; 06-09-07 at 09:53 AM.
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:40 PM   #12
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalMonger
How do you like the Fenix?
fenix powerful bright

muc muc light for 5X LED

Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:44 PM   #13
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucVDuc
Why not just 2 x fenix; one on bars solid, one on helmet flashing. More effective and cheaper IMHO.
135 lumens flahsy? too distracts? for motor/cager?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:51 PM   #14
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
5.00$
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3107.html

2.00$
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3110.html

=7.00$
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.75$ (has clip, has mount, has welcroe)
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1181365088027

Last edited by Elusor; 06-09-07 at 09:54 AM.
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:53 PM   #15
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Fenix is fast flash, much much fast
compare bike light LED danger!?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 11:03 PM   #16
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 11:08 PM   #17
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 03:25 AM   #18
Donkey Hodie
I like chrome.
 
Donkey Hodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeast
Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB
Posts: 285
wanna make me one of those?
Donkey Hodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 09:50 AM   #19
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie
wanna make me one of those?
hand is still bandaged blood from catters

/finger X 2
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 09:53 AM   #20
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie
wanna make me one of those?
to ad wellcro

surround fenix light

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1181364438049
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 03:36 PM   #21
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
What exactly do you mean by Fenix? Do you mean Phoenix?
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 03:36 PM   #22
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Is this Cateye company any good?
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 02:18 AM   #23
pedalMonger
Erectible Member
 
pedalMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enroute
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun
What exactly do you mean by Fenix? Do you mean Phoenix?

Fenix is a flashlight brand that's often used as a bicycle light. Discussed on this thread (and others): http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=305838
pedalMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 02:20 AM   #24
pedalMonger
Erectible Member
 
pedalMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enroute
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Elusor, nice job adapting parts from other lights for your Fenix. Good recycling too!
pedalMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 08:24 PM   #25
Grun
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
i grabbed one, they are really quite nice
the fenixs
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.