Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-07, 04:48 PM   #1
Grun
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
$150 Halogen Bike Light System

Any suggestions on a Halogen Light system for biking at night for $150?
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:02 PM   #2
ken cummings
Senior Member
 
ken cummings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: northern California
Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Posts: 5,601
A halogen incandescent lighting system can be built for less then $150. MR16, MR11, or PAR 38 your choice. Now building an H.I.D. system for $150 would be interesting. The total geekiness area in this forum is the place to start. Slvoid and others can help. I use a Nightsun Team Issue housing with two 50 watt halogen bulbs clamped to my handlebars, polarized trailor hitch connectors on wires leading to an adequate battery in a pannier and an intelligent charger. Or just buy a much neater setup from NightSun for ~$175 or so.

For some real fun You could build a 100 watt headlight for just under that $150.00 based on a Cessna landing light.

Last edited by ken cummings; 06-17-07 at 05:10 PM.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 09:55 AM   #3
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
http://www.bicyclelights.com/
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 11:00 AM   #4
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Planet Bike Alias. Way less than $150...
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 11:45 AM   #5
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,376
cygo nitro, but yeah if I were doing it again, I would consider DIY w/ LiOH battery for longer life.

(I am doing it again, actually, but I'm thinking LED now)
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 07:28 PM   #6
Grun
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
cygo nitro, but yeah if I were doing it again, I would consider DIY w/ LiOH battery for longer life.

(I am doing it again, actually, but I'm thinking LED now)
so is it better to go nitro 200 or nitro 300?
they look the same except for that the 200 charges in 5 hours and the 300 charges in 3.5 hours but is about $50 more
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 01:00 AM   #7
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun
so is it better to go nitro 200 or nitro 300?
they look the same except for that the 200 charges in 5 hours and the 300 charges in 3.5 hours but is about $50 more
Is there any reason why you want halogen over LED? LED lights are now just as bright as halogens at about the same cost.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 06:36 AM   #8
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun
so is it better to go nitro 200 or nitro 300?
they look the same except for that the 200 charges in 5 hours and the 300 charges in 3.5 hours but is about $50 more
Mine is the nitro 100, no longer made, it seems to charge in <5 hrs (smart charger). Of course, its battery life is down to about an hour from the original 2+, after 2 yrs. It only needs an hour or two to top up from 2 legs' commute (home at night, to work in am, charged before lunch) (of course, right now it's daylight from 5am to 9pm so I am not carrying my headlight at all)

Ziemas, do you have an off-the-shelf LED w/ comparable output to 15W halo for comparable price? The off-the-shelf systems, lumen-for-lumen, do not seem similarly priced yet in the US. I do think you could DIY an LED that would match 15W, lumen-for-lumen, for similar price (w/ resulting longer battery life and essentially infinite 'bulb' life).
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 08:37 AM   #9
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Mine is the nitro 100, no longer made, it seems to charge in <5 hrs (smart charger). Of course, its battery life is down to about an hour from the original 2+, after 2 yrs. It only needs an hour or two to top up from 2 legs' commute (home at night, to work in am, charged before lunch) (of course, right now it's daylight from 5am to 9pm so I am not carrying my headlight at all)

Ziemas, do you have an off-the-shelf LED w/ comparable output to 15W halo for comparable price? The off-the-shelf systems, lumen-for-lumen, do not seem similarly priced yet in the US. I do think you could DIY an LED that would match 15W, lumen-for-lumen, for similar price (w/ resulting longer battery life and essentially infinite 'bulb' life).
Hardy,

One way to replace the battery is to use 7.2V NiMH RC car packs. They are relatively cheap ($20 to $30 depending on capacity), rugged and pretty small. I've been using them for years and years without problem. I can run a 15W bulb for about an hour off a 3500 mAh but they are easy to gang together to get more ride time. I put mine in Rocket cages.

__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 10:08 PM   #10
Grun
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Is there any reason why you want halogen over LED? LED lights are now just as bright as halogens at about the same cost.
not really the brightness for sake
If you want, there is the Cree Edition LED, which I have already in a Fenix. It is bright, but could be brighter, but the issue is not that rather the amount of side spill.

that is what the driver's will see to save my life.

it would be better in that sense, but also to mount dual cree's on my helmet as well
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 10:53 PM   #11
Zero_Enigma
Senior Member
 
Zero_Enigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North of the 49th Parallel (GPS grid soon)
Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken cummings
A halogen incandescent lighting system can be built for less then $150. MR16, MR11, or PAR 38 your choice. Now building an H.I.D. system for $150 would be interesting. The total geekiness area in this forum is the place to start. Slvoid and others can help. I use a Nightsun Team Issue housing with two 50 watt halogen bulbs clamped to my handlebars, polarized trailor hitch connectors on wires leading to an adequate battery in a pannier and an intelligent charger. Or just buy a much neater setup from NightSun for ~$175 or so.

For some real fun You could build a 100 watt headlight for just under that $150.00 based on a Cessna landing light.
Ken,

Hey you have a photo of your setup or able to get a photo of your setup? I'd love to see it. Man I'd love to ride BEHIND that setup. >
Zero_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 11:25 PM   #12
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grun
not really the brightness for sake
If you want, there is the Cree Edition LED, which I have already in a Fenix. It is bright, but could be brighter, but the issue is not that rather the amount of side spill.

that is what the driver's will see to save my life.

it would be better in that sense, but also to mount dual cree's on my helmet as well
My Cateye double shot is brighter than my 10w halogen, with 3x the runtime. I'm speaking from experience.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 07:03 AM   #13
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
My Cateye double shot is brighter than my 10w halogen, with 3x the runtime. I'm speaking from experience.
That is cool. Looking at this chart, the double-shot is brighter straight ahead than the triple-shot, and no big proportion of dropoff from the 'pro' to the 'regular' model. Not a lot of peripheral light though. Obviously the triple is putting out more light but in a broader field.

'In general' it 'seems' to take 3 LEDs to equal a 15W halo, but how the light as focused has to have a large role in how they look relative to each other. But something close to halo w/ LED lamp life and reduced energy use, that is the future for sure ('quotes' due to general lack of comparable units across mfr's webpages for apples-to-apples comparisons).

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 06-21-07 at 07:14 AM.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 07:11 AM   #14
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
That is cool. Looking at this chart, the double-shot is brighter straight ahead than the triple-shot, and no big proportion of dropoff from the 'pro' to the 'regular' model. Not a lot of peripheral light though. Obviously the triple is putting out more light but in a broader field.
True. I have both the Double and the Triple. When I only use one I use the Double as a helmet light.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:53 PM   #15
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,376
I wonder how the cygo dual cross and cateye double shot compare. I was killing some time googling DIY sites, and it is looking like the off-the-rack systems are getting down toward the price of DIY jobs (adding in battery, smart-charger, yadda yadda...).
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:26 PM   #16
Grun
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
My Cateye double shot is brighter than my 10w halogen, with 3x the runtime. I'm speaking from experience.
the halogen over LED is for this reason: much more sidespill
and a 10W halogen can be had for much cheaper

and i am considering a 35W halogen system with two halogens a 15W and 20W

Lights at Night
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 09:56 AM   #17
Grun
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I wonder how the cygo dual cross and cateye double shot compare. I was killing some time googling DIY sites, and it is looking like the off-the-rack systems are getting down toward the price of DIY jobs (adding in battery, smart-charger, yadda yadda...).
yeah, so the dual cross is comparable

but the dualcross is cheaper and i am going for that one
Grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.