Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    50/50 Road/eBike Commuter kmcrawford111's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Electrified Swobo Dixon, Brompton
    Posts
    755
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    CatEye TL-LD500R / Similar?

    Hello everyone,

    I'm looking for a rear light/reflector combo. I already have reflective tape on the bike. I've been looking at the CatEye TL-LD500R. This seems to be about what I'm looking for. I want something with LEDs and I would prefer something that uses AAs or AAAs. This CatEye fits the bill, but is there anything else I should consider looking at before buying this one? I'd prefer to buy something made here in the US, if that's an option.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your trying to keep your budget low the Cateye LD600 is actually brighter from the rear and the sides then the 500. Also take a look at the BLT http://www.blt-lights.com/rearsuperdopplerdx.htm

    This is actually better then the Cateye from the rear, but I don't think the side illumination is better. The BLT is only about $5 more then the 600.

    Later when you can afford it you should buy 2 more rear lights and form a triangle with it. This triangle shape is less confusing to drivers then using just 1 light, thus you stand out far better.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kleng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
    My Bikes
    Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - Tmobile
    Posts
    1,879
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freako View Post
    If your trying to keep your budget low the Cateye LD600 is actually brighter from the rear and the sides then the 500. Also take a look at the BLT http://www.blt-lights.com/rearsuperdopplerdx.htm

    This is actually better then the Cateye from the rear, but I don't think the side illumination is better. The BLT is only about $5 more then the 600.

    Later when you can afford it you should buy 2 more rear lights and form a triangle with it. This triangle shape is less confusing to drivers then using just 1 light, thus you stand out far better.

    Also have a look at the BLT Ultra Wazoo DX if you really need the reflector
    http://www.blt-lights.com/ultraWazooDx.htm

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleng View Post
    Also have a look at the BLT Ultra Wazoo DX if you really need the reflector
    http://www.blt-lights.com/ultraWazooDx.htm
    Yikes here we go again. I went to the web site you mentioned and according to the information given that the light you mentioned appears, or at least should be, brighter then the one I mentioned. No one has talked about this light nor compared it. The facts are (according to the manufacture web site) that the Ultra Wazoo DX has 72,000 MCD with a 11,400 foot visiblity and will run for 150 hours; while the Super Doppler DX has 24,000 MCD with a 8,200 foot visiblity and will run for 200 hours. Am I missing something here or is the Wazoo indeed brighter?

    I was all set to get the Super but now I have to look at the Wazoo more.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kleng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
    My Bikes
    Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - Tmobile
    Posts
    1,879
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freako View Post
    Yikes here we go again. I went to the web site you mentioned and according to the information given that the light you mentioned appears, or at least should be, brighter then the one I mentioned. No one has talked about this light nor compared it. The facts are (according to the manufacture web site) that the Ultra Wazoo DX has 72,000 MCD with a 11,400 foot visiblity and will run for 150 hours; while the Super Doppler DX has 24,000 MCD with a 8,200 foot visiblity and will run for 200 hours. Am I missing something here or is the Wazoo indeed brighter?

    I was all set to get the Super but now I have to look at the Wazoo more.
    I still think the super doppler is more intense as you can focus the led's, I found it a bit strange that you can increase the intensity by a just adding more leds ?, that is 8 x 9 leds = 72,000mcd as opposed to 8 x 3 =24,000mcd, so does that mean by adding led's i get more intensity. Not sure how the logic works out in this linear fashion with the wazoo and the powerflare, especially since all the leds in all models are the same 8,000mcd and there are no lenses to enhance the intensity.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously from the lack of response no one on this forum owns the BLT Ultra Wazoo DX. I haven't been able to find it at any LBS's in my area so I have no way to compare it to the BLT Super Doppler DX.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •